Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2012

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Fed in a spot of bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fed about to level it.

Novak wins set 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Novak thru

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Djokovic another hard match in next round id say,Tsonga or Wawrinka.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Djokovic another hard match in next round id say,Tsonga or Wawrinka.

I agree with you. However, he knows these players and he has played them on a number of occasions. Out of 11 meetings, I was surprised to find out that Tsonga has actually won 6 of them, although Novak has a better record against Wawrinka winning 9 out of their 11 matches together.

He has won every match against Seppi, so that could explain his performance today. He went into the match thinking he would win easily but the Italian was prepared, he is 28 now, never won any Grand slam and it seemed like it will be a walkover but the Seppi played very well and took the game to Novak.

In my opinion, whoever he meets in the Quarters, it will be a tough match but I would wager that Djokovic will win unless either of them play some extraordinary tennis.

Their match has been postponed till tommorow and it looks as if Tsonga will win as he is 4-2 ahead in the deciding set and he is still on serve. If he does, he has to play Novak the next day and he would have had 2 four setters and a five setter. Surely fatigue will set in; but he will have the notorious Parisian crowd on his side which could play a key role.

It just seems ominous at this stage that it would be the top 4 at the semis but we never can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

RosyLily wrote: »

After the events today, I'm gonna hazard a guess and say it'll be a Stosur-Sharapova final next Saturday. (Knowing my luck I've just cursed the both of them!!:mad:)

hopefully don't like either of them especially the roaring obnoxious Russian.:pac:

Sharapova probably should come through but Kanepi and possibly Li Na and Kvitova won't be easy. Petra has been erratic for a while now but she is very dangerous and can blow anyone off the court when she is in the zone. Last year she was favorite but this time she seems to be flying under the rader.

Other side is very open, Stosur, Kerber, Errani and Cibulkova, all 4 girls will know its a great chance to get to a Slam Final.

Berdych and Wawrinka out.

Del Potro vs Federer should be good but recent encounters have been very easy for Federer, hoping for a cracker like their semi here a few years ago.

Novak will be fav against Tsonga but it will be hard for the serb especially as the crowd will be behind Joe.

Murray just loses first set

Gasquet playing quite well, Murray not so much.

Still plenty of time for Murray who does start slowly against Gasquet.

Na Li out of the women...:(:(

Sharapova through in 3, 17 breaks in the first 2 sets...:(:(:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Sharapova made hard work of it today. They both did actually. Cringe inducing at times.

• Advertisement

seems oh so easy for Nadal.

Nadal takes 2nd set that 11 games in a row, 6/2 6/0

Murray doin better in 2nd.

That was the easiest match i ever saw Nadal win against a top ranked player 6/2 6/0 6/0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

You could have heard a pin drop there when Gasquet Double Faulted to lose the Second Set to Murray.

I still think Gasquet will edge it, but it's a good match.

Not to stunned Nadal murdered Monaco like he did, same thing happened when they played in the Davis cup final last year. Its still a scary result though as Monaco is really good and has had a very good year.

Almagro is talented but he doesn't have a hope against Rafa in such form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Skid wrote: »
    You could have heard a pin drop there when Gasquet Double Faulted to lose the Second Set to Murray.

I still think Gasquet will edge it, but it's a good match.

Oh well :o, Gasquet faded after a very tight second set, while Murray turned it up, playing some lovely shots to win 1-6 6-4 6-1 6-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

How do you think the Ferrer/Murray match will go? Ferrer has yet to drop a set and has beaten his past two opponents fairly comprehensively.. He is one of my favourites so I'll be rooting for him like mad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Really looking forward to the Murray Ferrer match. Ferrer will probably be slight favourite as clay is his favourite surface. Just checking their head to heads and Murray is 5-4 ahead but significantly Ferrer has won all three of their matches on clay.

Thought Murray was superb in the final couple of sets against Gasquet today but you have to take into account that Gasquet's mental strength is almost non-existant when things aren't going his way. The key for Murray against Ferrer is to start well. If he starts as slowly as he did today I can't see Ferrer letting him back in as easy.

Also Murray's drop shot won't be nearly as effective as it was today given Ferrer's speed around the court. Murray's return of serve will be a huge plus for him though as Ferrer's serve is relatively weak. Cracking game in prospect between two of my favourite players (Yes, I am a Murray fan! Shoot me!). My prediction: Murray to edge it in five.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Nadal absolutely demolished poor Juan Monaco!! Wow! If that's how he plays his friends, I'd hate to be his enemy!:p His next opponents will have to play out of their skin to prevent Rafa from adding a historic 7th Roland Garros title to his collection. Either that or break his legs! (Even then, he's probably play in a wheelchair!)

Surprised that Na Li lost in three to qualifier Yaroslava Shvedova. She completely fell apart in the final set! Shvedova looked very fresh for someone that has come through qualifying. I've seen her play doubles before; she's so good!! Tough match for her next - Petra Kvitova. She's been playing great this tournament. All the talk's been about Sharapova, Serena, Azarenka so Kvitova is silently taking out her opponents. Wouldn't be a shock if she reached the final.

Some potentially fantastic matches tomorrow; QFs day. Play on PC & SL starts at 1pm GMT.

Court Philippe Chatrier
    Dominika Cibulkova [15] VS. Sam Stosur [5]
    Novak Djokovic [1] VS. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga [5]
    Qureshi/Rojer [10] VS. Llodra/Zimonjic [3]

Court Suzanne Lenglen
    Sara Errani [21] VS. Angelique Kerber [10]
    Roger Federer [3] VS. Juan Martin del Potro [9]
    Hlavackova/Hradecka [5] VS. Peschke/Srebotnik [2]

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Already putting the disgusting cheats name on the trophy , sad times when such a despicable human being wins....

Can't wait till 5 years when the little cheat will be at least of the top of the game - and some dignity returns to tennis .

For now the black black black age of tennis will continue ...

jcf wrote: »
    Already putting the disgusting cheats name on the trophy , sad times when such a despicable human being wins....

Can't wait till 5 years when the little cheat will be at least of the top of the game - and some dignity returns to tennis .

For now the black black black age of tennis will continue ...
    I think you should just ask him to marry you. He'll probably say no but at least you'll be able to move on with the rest of your life. You need closure buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Pighead wrote: »
    I think you should just ask him to marry you. He'll probably say no but at least you'll be able to move on with the rest of your life. You need closure buddy.

Who are we talking about here??
    What has prompted this opinion??

looking forward to the business end of tournament.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Who are we talking about here??
    What has prompted this opinion??
    Rafa Nadal. The King of Clay. jcf has an irrational hatred of the great Spaniard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Any particular reason?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Any particular reason?

Nope! Not that we know of. Every time Nadal wins, jcf pops up and rants.

Surprised he hasn't been by here earlier actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Has anyone noticed how relatively fast the courts at Roland Garros seem to be in relation to the Australian Open (which is now the slowest Grand Slam) ?
    Matches and points are much shorter ,its not like clay court tennis used to be 5-10 years ago.
    I came across a very good article on the homogenisation of tennis court surfaces,its a great read
    http://www.fawcette.net/2012/02/hard-courts-fast-clay-slow-not-so-much-.html

Stosur is through to her third Roland Garros semi-final after defeating Dominika Cibulkova 6-4, 6-1. The Aussie looked fairly nervous at times during the match but was helped slightly by the many errors from Cibulkova.

Sam's SF opponent will be 21st seed Sara Errani who just defeated Angelique Kerber in straight sets 6-3, 7-6.

• Advertisement

Yeah, slightly surprised with the ease of Stosur's victory. Thought it would be a tight match and probably a three setter. Obviously Cibulkova gave everything she had to beat Azarenka and was a bit off the pace today.

Stosur's developing a pretty decent record at Roland Garros. Semi's in 2009, final in 2010 and at least the semi's again this year.

Novak V Tsonga on soon. Hard one to call with neither man at their best this week. Tsonga was good in patches against Wawrinka but struggled for long periods as well. This is actually the first time he's reached the quarters in Paris.

Djokovic wasn't great at all against Seppi and barely got past the Italian. You'd think he couldn't be that bad again though. As I say hard to call but I'll go with Novak in four.

Advertisement