Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurler of the Year 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Pighead wrote: »
    If Kilkenny win All Ireland Hogan will get Player of the Year and if Galway win it Cannings bags the prize. And that's not an 'in my opinion' either. That's fact.

Brian Hogan??? Missed the Limerick match and was anilated by Cyrill Donnellan and Niall Burke in the Leinster final and Tipperary choose not to play a centre forward against him he has done nothing to merit the award tbh, picking the top two in the betting is'nt exactly insightfull ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Canning at 5/2 is a great bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If Kilkenny win All Ireland Hogan will get Player of the Year and if Galway win it Cannings bags the prize. And that's not an 'in my opinion' either. That's fact.

I don't know, if Kilkenny win it and Canning puts in a classic Canning performance (as against Cork in 2008) I could see him being given it. Hogan hasn't stuck out that much to warrant being second favourite, in my opinion.

AGC wrote: »
    Canning at 5/2 is a great bet.

He was 3/1 before the second semi-final, and has since come in to 5/2. That says a lot to me.

Also, he's 13/8 with Boyles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    He was 3/1 before the second semi-final, and has since come in to 5/2. That says a lot to me.

If you compare the hurler of the year prices to the footballer of the year prices youcan see they don't have a clue who will get the football one.

Bernard Brogan is fav at 11/2

• Advertisement

AGC wrote: »
    If you compare the hurler of the year prices to the footballer of the year prices youcan see they don't have a clue who will get the football one.

Bernard Brogan is fav at 11/2

And Bernard Brogan has had possibly his worst year to date in a Dublin jersey... :confused:

Though in fairness, the football championship has the semi-finals still to come, so you can't expect the betting to be that clear at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jacko

Cant believe how Tommy Walsh is even considered for HOTY panel. He's had poor year. Roasted against Galway in Leinster final (well the entire KK team was in the first half) and wasn't up to much against Dublin in the league either. Did well against Limerick but then I wouldn't have considered Limerick up to much.

The Semi final Lar Corbett debacle meant he didn't do any hurling there either.

Tommy's been a great player for years, maybe people are just taking it for granted he's always one of the main men when kk play but baring a MOTM performance in the final he shouldn't be anywhere near an allstar candidate let alone HOTY

jacko wrote: »
    Cant believe how Tommy Walsh is even considered for HOTY panel. He's had poor year. Roasted against Galway in Leinster final (well the entire KK team was in the first half) and wasn't up to much against Dublin in the league either. Did well against Limerick but then I wouldn't have considered Limerick up to much.

The Semi final Lar Corbett debacle meant he didn't do any hurling there either.

Tommy's been a great player for years, maybe people are just taking it for granted he's always one of the main men when kk play but baring a MOTM performance in the final he shouldn't be anywhere near an allstar candidate let alone HOTY

Joe Canning, Henry Shefflin and Eoin Kelly have all received very 'soft' all stars in recent years and there's no reason why teh same wont happen with Tommy, media darling's I think is the term, not the players themselves fault of course but highly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

He had a 8/10 v Cork in League final, good game v Dublin in Leinster Semi final. So he'll surely get an All Star nomination at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Mr. Boo

+1 Johnny Coen for YHOY. He had a massive game in Leinster final, and the secon half against Cork imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Do you know this weekend's Lotto numbers as well? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Joe Canning, Henry Shefflin and Eoin Kelly have all received very 'soft' all stars in recent years and there's no reason why teh same wont happen with Tommy, media darling's I think is the term, not the players themselves fault of course but highly annoying.[/Quote]

Agree with you 100% re soft All-Stars. Henry has definitely benefitted from this, particularly last year when I didn't think he deserved one to be honest. As regards Tommy HoY, I think he'll be doing very very well to get an All-Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Nobody thinks Coen could win HotY outright? Canning's been good but Coen has been Galway's best performer imo. Obvously depending on the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Nobody thinks Coen could win HotY outright? Canning's been good but Coen has been Galway's best performer imo. Obvously depending on the final.

NO way Coen will will HOTY - the powers that be wouldn't give the 2 awards (HOTY and YHOTY) to the same lad. At the moment, Canning is in pole position to win HOTY, and Coen is almost guaraneteed it as there are very few (if any) U-21's on KK's starting 15, and even if there is, none are as prominent for KK as Coen is for Galway imo.

Brendan Maher should have got both awards in 2010, but had to settle for the YHOTY, its just the done thing you won't win both in the same year.

Brendan Maher should have got both awards in 2010, but had to settle for the YHOTY, its just the done thing you won't win both in the same year.

Yeah but they could just give YHOTY to someone else...Niall Donohue or someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Think you have to be under 21? Although I could be wrong.

Is it just judged on senior championship? Or do they take under 21 into account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

They could have given young hurler of the year to Noel McGrath.

I agree he probably has been Galway's outstanding player, but then Joe Canning has been immense too.

And Brendan Maher's performances in 2010 were up there with the best I've seen from a player in an individual year, and he was only 20!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Think you have to be under 21? Although I could be wrong.

Is it just judged on senior championship? Or do they take under 21 into account?

Just on Senior Championship, but you do have to be u21

How can you get hurler of the year and not be young hurler of the year, that makes about as much sense as a tactic's seminar with Tommy Dunne and Declan Ryan :p

• Advertisement

In that case Johnny Coen will walk it. Dunno who'd be second Buckley maybe if he plays final?

How can you get hurler of the year and not be young hurler of the year, that makes about as much sense as a tactic's seminar with Tommy Dunne and Declan Ryan :p

Well you're right, it is stupid. It doesn't make sense to not give a player the award based on age.

Wrt YPOTY- people expected a lot from Lehane, Hannon, Dowling, Sutcliffe...none really got going. Dowling was good against Tipp, and scored a lot in the qualifiers but failed to really shine against Clare or Kilkenny. Might be in with a shout of a nomination. Hannon was injured all year, Sutcliffe was knocked out early on, Lehane had a lot of injury problems and was never as brilliant as he was in the league.

Does Conor McGrath qualify? Could get a nomination too if that's the case.

As for HOTY...the final will decide it too, I suppose. If Canning fails to shine and some Kilkenny players has a very good game, they could take it. David Burke should have a chance too.

In that case Johnny Coen will walk it. Dunno who'd be second Buckley maybe if he plays final?

He probably will win it provided he's not decimated in the final.

As Fireball has mentioned, a lot of players that were expected to deliver didn't. Niall Burke is also a contender.

I know it probably sounds biased, but I think Stephen O'Keeffe was excellent this year and given your hard pushed to find three, he could get a nomination. Should be in contention for the all-star too. I would rate him to have had a better season than Nash, but Nash will probably get it as the Cork token all-star.

He probably will win it provided he's not decimated in the final.

As Fireball has mentioned, a lot of players that were expected to deliver didn't. Niall Burke is also a contender.

I know it probably sounds biased, but I think Stephen O'Keeffe was excellent this year and given your hard pushed to find three, he could get a nomination. Should be in contention for the all-star too. I would rate him to have had a better season than Nash, but Nash will probably get it as the Cork token all-star.

I didn't realise that SOK was that young. Good keeper alright, could easily get 2nd or 3rd in YHOTY...I'd agree Nash will probably get the all-star.

I don't think Niall Burke has produced enough to be a real contender, unless he has a big final. I was expecting so much more from him, because he has the ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It would not make sense but the poster is correct. Logic has no part in the allstar/HOTY/YHOTY process.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

That is incorrect - you have to be either in your debut season OR under 21

dirtyden wrote: »
    It would not make sense but the poster is correct. Logic has no part in the allstar/HOTY/YHOTY process.

This is correct. It is a strange award. A lot of the time a stand out performance in one solitary game (AI final) can be enough. Then you look at the likes of John Mullane who does it in every game for waterford, about 4/5 games last season and the year before for example but when you're knocked out before the final it seems that you don't qualify.

The only time I remember a non-finallist player getting it was Bernard Brogan in football.

This is correct. It is a strange award. A lot of the time a stand out performance in one solitary game (AI final) can be enough. Then you look at the likes of John Mullane who does it in every game for waterford, about 4/5 games last season and the year before for example but when you're knocked out before the final it seems that you don't qualify.

The only time I remember a non-finallist player getting it was Bernard Brogan in football.

Dan Shanahan in 2007.

Dan Shanahan in 2007.

You're right. But in fairness Waterford had a great year then winning Munster if I'm correct after a replay (extra game) or have I the wrong year?

• Advertisement

daddydick wrote: »
    That is incorrect - you have to be either in your debut season OR under 21

What if you were 27? You'd hardly be young player of the year then?
    You're right. But in fairness Waterford had a great year then winning Munster if I'm correct after a replay (extra game) or have I the wrong year?

Nah, 2007 we won the league and bet Limerick by 9 points in Munster Final, before losing to them in the All-Ireland semi by 5 points.

2010 we beat Cork in the Munster Final after a replay.

Advertisement