Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurler of the Year 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The thinking with Joe Canning is probably due to how well he played against Dublin.

Relegation playoffs wouldn't hold too much weight and if they did then surely Damien Hayes would be topping the poll??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Is Power not injured for the season??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The thinking with Joe Canning is probably due to how well he played against Dublin.

Maybe, but it won't count for anything come championship time. If he were to keep up that form later on in the year, then he would be in strong contention for an All-Star, but not HOTY.

At the present moment in time, Eoin Larkin is probably the favourite, although if Richie Power comes back to action soon, I think he could well be the winner of HOTY.

A lot of it depends on who wins the AI - Corbett won it in 2010, yet imo Michael Fennelly was the best hurler that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kojak wrote: »
    Maybe, but it won't count for anything come championship time. If he were to keep up that form later on in the year, then he would be in strong contention for an All-Star, but not HOTY.

At the present moment in time, Eoin Larkin is probably the favourite, although if Richie Power comes back to action soon, I think he could well be the winner of HOTY.

A lot of it depends on who wins the AI - Corbett won it in 2010, yet imo Michael Fennelly was the best hurler that year.

Power is 5/1, Larkin is 10/1 afaik.

Corbett scored 6-12 in 6 games in 2010, including a hat-trick in the final. It would have been hard to have given it to anyone else after the final. You're right that the final does have a huge impact on the decision.

Only Tony Browne and Dan Shanahan have won it without winning the All-Ireland the same year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Power is 5/1, Larkin is 10/1 afaik.

Corbett scored 6-12 in 6 games in 2010, including a hat-trick in the final. It would have been hard to have given it to anyone else after the final. You're right that the final does have a huge impact on the decision.

Only Tony Browne and Dan Shanahan have won it without winning the All-Ireland the same year.

Brian Corcoran 92 also off top of my head

Corbett scored 6-12 in 6 games in 2010, including a hat-trick in the final. It would have been hard to have given it to anyone else after the final.

Corbett was very fortunate to get it in 2010, but in no way shape or form was Michael Fennelly better than Brendan Maher in 2010, Brendan was imperious that year, and even stood out in the mauling in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Corbett was very fortunate to get it in 2010, but in no way shape or form was Michael Fennelly better than Brendan Maher in 2010, Brendan was imperious that year, and even stood out in the mauling in Cork.

Yeah, actually you are right about Maher - but it would have been nearly umimaginable that the awards for Young Hurler of the year and HOTY would go to the same person, no matter how good he was.

Has any player actually won both these arwards in the same year?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah, actually you are right about Maher - but it would have been nearly umimaginable that the awards for Young Hurler of the year and HOTY would go to the same person, no matter how good he was.

I've had a look back through past winners and I can't find anybody who has won HOTY and YHOTY.
    I'd say it's a case of the judges wanting to celebrate two players rather than one player not being good enough to win both awards.

• Advertisement

I've had a look back through past winners and I can't find anybody who has won HOTY and YHOTY.
    I'd say it's a case of the judges wanting to celebrate two players rather than one player not being good enough to win both awards.

Since 1995, there hasn't been anyone to win Young Hurler of the Year and then go on to win Hurler of the Year. They really do like to spread out the awards.

The only players to have won two awards are Shefflin (HOTY in 2002 and 2006) and Eoin Kelly (YHOTY in 2001 and 2002). Maybe I should forget about that Larkin bet...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pretty sure brian corcoran has 2 HOTY awards (1992 and 1999). DJ Carey too (1993 and 2000)

adrian522 wrote: »
    Pretty sure brian corcoran has 2 HOTY awards (1992 and 1999). DJ Carey too (1993 and 2000)

I did say since 95, when the All Stars Hurler of the Year began.

Since 1995, there hasn't been anyone to win Young Hurler of the Year and then go on to win Hurler of the Year. They really do like to spread out the awards.

The only players to have won two awards are Shefflin (HOTY in 2002 and 2006) and Eoin Kelly (YHOTY in 2001 and 2002). Maybe I should forget about that Larkin bet...

Larkin is probably the most fit in-form player at the moment. He is revelling at being the captain of the team and scored 3-20 in the league this year (3-11 from play). I never thought he would be a full-forward but it is suiting him at the moment.
    Obviously HOTY will be decided during the latter stages of the championship and not during the league etc.

There's an interesting enough article in the Indo from last week where Vincent Hogan picks his All-Star team based on performances in the 2012 NHL.

Of the potential winners of HOTY that are in this thread's poll, only 3 are named in the All-Star team: Maher, Lehane and Larkin.

(The team was: 1 David Herity, 2 Paul Murphy, 3 JJ Delaney, 4 Niall Corcoran, 5 Richie Doyle, 6 Eoin Cadogan, 7 Padraic Maher, 8 David Burke, 9 Darren Sweetnam, 10 Conor Lehane, 11 Niall Burke, 12 TJ Reid, 13 Colin Fennelly, 14 Richie Power, 15 Eoin Larkin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Vincent Hogan really does not have a clue though.

There's an interesting enough article in the Indo from last week where Vincent Hogan picks his All-Star team based on performances in the 2012 NHL.

Of the potential winners of HOTY that are in this thread's poll, only 3 are named in the All-Star team: Maher, Lehane and Larkin.

(The team was: 1 David Herity, 2 Paul Murphy, 3 JJ Delaney, 4 Niall Corcoran, 5 Richie Doyle, 6 Eoin Cadogan, 7 Padraic Maher, 8 David Burke, 9 Darren Sweetnam, 10 Conor Lehane, 11 Niall Burke, 12 TJ Reid, 13 Colin Fennelly, 14 Richie Power, 15 Eoin Larkin)

I normally agree with Hogan on most things, but no Sutcliffe in the team is fairly laughable. Not really his fault given that the KK game wasn't televised though.

Larkin is probably the most fit in-form player at the moment. He is revelling at being the captain of the team and scored 3-20 in the league this year (3-11 from play). I never thought he would be a full-forward but it is suiting him at the moment.
    Obviously HOTY will be decided during the latter stages of the championship and not during the league etc.

I'm with you on this by the way, totally agree and in my first post on this thread I mentioned him. I voted for him also.

I was just referring to the likelihood that the award wouldn't be given to a player who had already won it. For Larkin to win it he'd really need to be head and shoulders above the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Bosco O' Neill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Martin567

dirtyden wrote: »
    Vincent Hogan really does not have a clue though.

Yes, you're right. The person who set up this poll and didn't include Richie Power would obviously be a lot more knowledgeable.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    Yes, you're right. The person who set up this poll and didn't include Richie Power would obviously be a lot more knowledgeable.:rolleyes:

Sorry Vincent, your really great.

The poll is a bit early but is reasonable discussion fodder for a forum like this.

For a supposed serious GAA journalist if that is all he can trot out in the run up to the championship, that is just laziness. A typically lazy article from this journalist. Although he is not atypical of GAA journalists. Most seem to work from behind their desks rather than actually going out and finding something interesting.

A 12 year old could have done a similar job to that particular kilkenny are great piece. I think most of us already know that.

Haha what is Conor O'Mahony doing in that list by the way, or Conor McGrath? O'Mahony is decent, but no where near that good and while Conor McGrath is excellent, he plays for Clare.
    COM on the list is hardly that absurd, he is the CB for the second favourites for the AI, has 2 allstars in that position and at 27 should be in he's prime, I dont think he will win it myself but certainly stranger things have happened.

Not so absurd now Mountain :D thought Conor was excellent yesterday when all around him was falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Not so absurd now Mountain :D thought Conor was excellent yesterday when all around him was falling apart.

Didn't see the game yesterday (conveniently enough), I did smile when I saw the man of the match presentation last night. Still, he was marking a debutant, there'll be stiffer tests ahead I have no doubt. Player of the year, much like the all-ireland was never won in May, you know that much yourself I'm very sure.

Didn't see the game yesterday (conveniently enough), I did smile when I saw the man of the match presentation last night. Still, he was marking a debutant, there'll be stiffer tests ahead I have no doubt. Player of the year, much like the all-ireland was never won in May, you know that much yourself I'm very sure.

Of course I do, but I still couldnt let the occasion pass without comment ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Of course I do, but I still couldnt let the occasion pass without comment ;)

Haha I have no doubt in the same situation I couldn't either....and you can be sure of it now anyway! :pac:

The last post in this thread was nearly 3 months ago at the start of the championship. So I'm wondering who does everyone think will win HOTY now?

In the poll, Eoin Larkin is top, but his form has been quite poor in the championship. Joe Canning is 2nd in the poll. If Galway beat KK in the AI final, I think Joe has HOTY wrapped up. Maher from Tipp is 3rd in the poll and he definitely won't win it.

From a KK point of view, I'm not sure who has been our best performer in the championship this season.

Obviously a player's performance in the AI final has a huge influence on who wins HOTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

The last post in this thread was nearly 3 months ago at the start of the championship. So I'm wondering who does everyone think will win HOTY now?

In the poll, Eoin Larkin is top, but his form has been quite poor in the championship. Joe Canning is 2nd in the poll. If Galway beat KK in the AI final, I think Joe has HOTY wrapped up. Maher from Tipp is 3rd in the poll and he definitely won't win it.

From a KK point of view, I'm not sure who has been our best performer in the championship this season.

Obviously a player's performance in the AI final has a huge influence on who wins HOTY.

Think from a Kilkenny perspective, it's hard to see who could win it. Taggy has played well the last two games but missed the first two. Tommy Walsh was so poor against Galway in the Leinster final, it would be hard to justify. Apart from the Limerick game, Henry hasn't set the world alight.
    For me, I think Joe Canning has been the HOY so far but alot can hinge on All-Ireland day. He has been in brilliant form and nobody would begrudge him if he were to win it. Fergal Moore has played great and was MoM against Cork but I've been really impressed with Johnny Coen. He should definitely claim YHOY but in truth should go hard on the senior accolade. He has been instrumental all year in snuffing out key players and sweeping across both lines of defence, I love watching him hurl!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

If Kilkenny win All Ireland Hogan will get Player of the Year and if Galway win it Cannings bags the prize. And that's not an 'in my opinion' either. That's fact.

• Advertisement

phkk wrote: »
    Think from a Kilkenny perspective, it's hard to see who could win it. Taggy has played well the last two games but missed the first two. Tommy Walsh was so poor against Galway in the Leinster final, it would be hard to justify. Apart from the Limerick game, Henry hasn't set the world alight.
    For me, I think Joe Canning has been the HOY so far but alot can hinge on All-Ireland day. He has been in brilliant form and nobody would begrudge him if he were to win it. Fergal Moore has played great and was MoM against Cork but I've been really impressed with Johnny Coen. He should definitely claim YHOY but in truth should go hard on the senior accolade. He has been instrumental all year in snuffing out key players and sweeping across both lines of defence, I love watching him hurl!

+1 for Johnny Coen as young hurler of the year. Arguably their best player on the field for the Kilkenny and Cork games. Fantastic defender to watch, as Ollie Canning was for many years.

For the senior accolade, once Joe Canning puts in a good performance in the final I feel that it's all his. Nobody from Kilkenny has stood out head and shoulders above the rest, though Tommy Walsh has been fantastic in every game bar the Leinster Final and should probably be a good shout if he has a good final. Cyril Donnellan could be a good outside bet given how impressive he was in the Leinster Final, has 1-10 from play in three and a bit matches. Very unlucky to have missed most of the semi-final through injury. I'm very surprised to see Brian Hogan in second in the betting, though that he was very lucky not to be sent off in the Leinster Final. Has been solid otherwise though.

David Burke had a fantastic year also, has scored from play in every game so far, and the Cork game was the only one he didn't score a goal in. 4-6 from play by my count. Honourable mentions to the youngsters Conor Lehane, Luke O'Farrell and Darren Sweetnam from Cork, Tony Kelly from Clare, Danny Sutcliffe from Dublin (in an otherwise awful year) and quite a few more I'm sure.

(PS - I realise the Kilkenny panel has a wealth of young players worthy of mention, but everyone will know them by the end of September 9th anyway I'm sure)

Advertisement