Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone seen the donedeal ad?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is disappointing that in their ruling they did not focus on the depiction of men as gormless and stupid in the media which is the main issue I had with the add.
    But good to see people standing up for what they believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

I'm sure soon they'll do an ad about a husband selling a useless wife, for some balance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I bet they won't:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Some people just don't have a sense of humour.
    Another load of bollox from the PC brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/watchdog-bans-clubs-best-bits-ad-after-complaints-3226247.html
    Watchdog bans Club's 'Best Bits' ad after complaints

[..]

However, objections to a TV advertisement for online sales website DoneDeal.ie featuring a wife putting her husband up for sale were not upheld.

The Wexford-based company pointed out the scenario was intended as "a piece of comedy".

• Advertisement

thejournal.ie/thescore.ie

http://www.thescore.ie/9-at-9-prussia-st-ads-alps-591342-Sep2012/
    The 9 at 9: Tuesday

Good morning! Here are 9 things to know as you start your day…

10 hours ago
    7,494 Views 13 Comments

[..]

7. #ADS The Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland has said that a Club Orange ad that depicted two oranges with the slogan ‘the best bits’ “had used sexual innuendo merely to attraction attention”. It upheld complaints about the ad after complainants objected to the advertisement on the basis that it was sexist and offensive to women. Complaints about a DoneDeal.ie ad, which said it was demeaning to men, were not upheld. The ASAI said the situation portrayed in the advertisement was “so unrealistic, it was not intended to be an endorsement of a particular type of behaviour”.

One can see the "best bits" ad that was banned here:
    http://www.joe.ie/joe-life/women/advertising-standards-authority-of-ireland-bans-yet-another-club-orange-advert-0028244-1

Another piece on the banning of that ad here: http://www.businessandleadership.com/marketing/item/37096-complaints-against-club/
    ----
    The ASAI ruling on that ad (which lists the reasons giving for complaints) is here: http://www.asai.ie/complaint_view.asp?CID=988&BID=48

Today on the Right Hook:

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/featured-5-slideshow-homepage/is-ugly-fruit-facing-prejudice/
    Coming up on the Right Hook

Minister for Communications, Pat Rabbitte

Is ugly fruit facing prejudice?

And reversed sexism as offensive ads to men are not upheld.

And 6.25pm Fionn Davenport joins George in studio for Tuesday Travel. This week he’s covering Munich, Germany.

If you have any questions you can talk to George by Localling 1890 453106, text him on 53106 (cost 30 cent) or tweet with George @ghook
    **email – therighthook@newstalk.ie

I turned the radio on for a moment around 4.45pm and heard it mentioned.http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/featured-5-slideshow-homepage/is-ugly-fruit-facing-prejudice/

Section 1, 11/9/2012

A little piece by George Hook starts at 11.18-14:00 - one can hear extracts from Club Orange ads (except that wasn't the banned ad).

15:06 –17:15 some comments read out

Said going to talk about with ASAI at 5.30pm.

Just listened to it there now. You can hear it on part 2 at 33 minutes in. The guy from the advertising standards was very defensive and did the usual Irish thing of blaming the committee rather than (God forbid) take responsibility for anything. It focuses more on the Club Orange ad but does look at the done deal.

He said most of the complaints were to do with trafficking which is unfortunate as that was not what annoyed me about the ad (and many adds)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just listened to it there now. You can hear it on part 2 at 33 minutes in. The guy from the advertising standards was very defensive and did the usual Irish thing of blaming the committee rather than (God forbid) take responsibility for anything. It focuses more on the Club Orange ad but does look at the done deal.

He said most of the complaints were to do with trafficking which is unfortunate as that was not what annoyed me about the ad (and many adds)
    Thanks for that.

Not sure if you noticed, but the next interview with the woman from 11890 was also on ads and complaints. Not sure exactly when it started but went on till 51:17.

Unfortunately the woman from 11890 didn't seem to get the point that people complaining about how men were portrayed in advertising weren't focusing on the Lynx ad but about men being portrayed as stupid (or maybe she didn't want to acknowledge the point/maybe it wasn't a priority for her). But commenters did make the point so the issue did get an airing which is useful enough i.e. without the complaints, this wouldn't have happened. George also specifically said that the donedeal ad with the sexes in reverse would never have got near being broadcast as it would have been stopped inhouse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

the asai are clueless, they are not about fairness or stamping out sexism, they are about pandering to special interest groups and making decisions that create the least noise/pressure for themselves i.e. they lack integrity and consistency in the application of their so-called standards

they seem to make up the rationale behind the rulings as they go along

just another useless irish quango packed full of gombeens who are all about maintaining their jobs and salaries rather than actually making a difference

much as i expected really - they're only out to deal with the fashionable pc issues of the day so that they're not attacked by some journalist or politician or lobbyist who is on the same bandwagon

men's issues are slowly getting more exposure but they won't be "fashionable" for another 10-15 years at least i'd guess, it's not about right or wrong to these morons, it's about self-preservation and level of noise - they're crap!

iptba wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Not sure if you noticed, but the next interview with the woman from 11890 was also on ads and complaints. Not sure exactly when it started but went on till 51:17.

I listened to some of it alright. Was impressed by how strongly George expressed himself about these adds. I thought he would give it the Moncrieff 'sure tis only a bit of craic' kind of response.

Advertisement