Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone seen the donedeal ad?

Options
  • 18-05-2012 10:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

it's basically some lady selling her gormless dullard husband to some other woman who asks "is he a goer?" - so essentially a woman pimps out her husband to another woman while he is cluelessly pushed out the door

jaysus, I'm not usually one to complain about advertising as i know how it works but this ad is as blatant as it gets - any idea what the process is for complaining

seriously it's insulting stuff, they might of course be deliberately hoping for loads of publicity but good luck with that because most guys aren't the complaining or whinging type (just me :))so can't be bothered - so the best result would just to have it quietly taken off the air and the company heavily fined and a signal sent to other advertisers that they can't get away with their constant portrayals of men as slave-like buffoons

also what is curious is the almost complete lack of silence from the "equality" brigade about this, a group who usually require very little to take offense

what do you think guys? Have any of you seen it? Am I over-reacting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

donfers wrote: »
    it's basically some lady selling her gormless dullard husband to some other woman who asks "is he a goer?" - so essentially a woman pimps out her husband to another woman while he is cluelessly pushed out the door

jaysus, I'm not usually one to complain about advertising as i know how it works but this ad is as blatant as it gets - any idea what the process is for complaining

seriously it's insulting stuff, they might of course be deliberately hoping for loads of publicity but good luck with that because most guys aren't the complaining or whinging type (just me :))so can't be bothered - so the best result would just to have it quietly taken off the air and the company heavily fined and a signal sent to other advertisers that they can't get away with their constant portrayals of men as slave-like buffoons

also what is curious is the almost complete lack of silence from the "equality" brigade about this, a group who usually require very little to take offense

What in the name of Christ is'an almost complete lack of silence'?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Yeah I've seen it, it's obviously a joke, intended to be seen as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

of course it was meant as a joke, but some things just aren't funny

the humour defense was used in the past by those who made jew or black or paddy jokes - "ah what's wrong with you all, it's just a bit of a laugh" - i don't buy it when the source material crosses the line

jew or black or paddy jokes - "ah what's wrong with you all, it's just a bit of a laugh" - i don't buy it when the source material crosses the line

You should complain to donedeal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

look, it was funny

it's also funny when it's done about women too, it's just there are enough female activist groups out there with more feelings of opression than sense who complain about anything and everything that everyone is terrified to do it.

it's fine to point out the hypocrisy of insulting men in tv ads while being afraid to do the same to women, that's neccesary and good but lets not wander down the path of trying to get ads pulled because... why? did it make you feel like less of a man? like less of a human being?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

wellboytoo wrote: »
    What in the name of Christ is'an almost complete lack of silence'?

tinnitus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Rabble rabble, get over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

If this was about a woman and over in the Ladies Lounge, we'd be on page 50 of righteous indignation by now.

Rabble rabble, get over it.

Posts like this are precisely the problem and the one above asking me if it made me feel less like a man

no doubt, we are all wonderfully well-adjusted folk here right :), yet i just feel bad for the increasing numbers of men with feelings of low self-worth, the increasing numbers of suicides etc. who see that stuff like this ad is basically regarded as OK and if someone objects then they are told to "get over it" or their masculinity is questioned simply because they are highlighting a huge failing in the media culture - the largely uncontested constant maligning and mocking of men

Am i saying ads like this make men commit suicide? Absolutely not

Am I saying that the acceptance of ads like this and responses to questioning it like "get over it" contribute to a growing feeling of worthlessness and alienation among some men? Yes I am, I have sympathy for them and I don't like that ads like this are deemed fair game - that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

It's pretty funny loike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Motorist wrote: »
    If this was about a woman and over in the Ladies Lounge, we'd be on page 50 of righteous indignation by now.

drop it. read the charter please

(and, no, this policy isn't an indication of women being treated differently or protected, it's an indication that sitewide we don't permit b1tching or snide comments about other fora, with TLL the one that crops up the most here)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sauve wrote: »
    Yeah I've seen it, it's obviously a joke, intended to be seen as such.

I dont think so, she might actually want to sell her husband!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherwedding/3311998

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I was going to say surely the Advertising Standards Authority is the first port of call, but when it's that sort of ad I'm not sure. Perhaps donedeal themselves, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Their next ad should reverse the sexes. Some guy selling his wife to another, making remarks about her being a "goer".

The feminists would be out in force.

Their next ad should reverse the sexes. Some guy selling his wife to another, making remarks about her being a "goer".

The ones without a sense of humour would, just like all the guys that are offended by this joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

The ones without a sense of humour would, just like all the guys that are offended by this joke.

True enough. Anybody getting wound up by something like that needs to chill out.

I haven't seen the ad, but with the amount of joke adverts that get posted on donedeal, it's hard to take it seriously as an actual website. Methinks I'll be sticking with adverts and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

So DoneDeal.ie is now openly endorsing human trafficking?

I hope they have a wider selection then just middle aged men ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

It looks like the advert goes against the ASAI code

Decency and Propriety

A marketing communication should contain nothing that is likely to cause grave or widespread offence.

Marketing communications should respect the dignity of all persons and should avoid causing offence on grounds of gender, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, race or membership of the traveller community.

Marketing communications should respect the principle of the equality of men and women. They should avoid sex stereotyping and any exploitation or demeaning of men and women. Where appropriate, marketing communications should use generic terms that include both the masculine and feminine gender; for example, the term 'business executive' covers both men and women.

The more people who lodge a complaint the better
    http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jesus christ some people get worked up about the smallest things.

It's an ad. A joke. A slight spin of humour. It's not derogatory, it's not offensive, it's just a slight joke that million of men and women across the world make about their husbands/wives.

• Advertisement

It looks like the advert goes against the ASAI code

The more people who lodge a complaint the better
    http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

good man

took me 2 minutes to fire off a complaint - i hope more do it

this is nothing to do with "a sense of humour bypass"

the ad is not funny, it is offensive to men, it crosses the line, I am not a serial complainer, this is the first time in my life I have ever taken the 2 minutes it takes to fire off a complaint, enough is enough with these kind of ads where basically it seems it's fair game to portray men as absolutely anything - this kind of sexist guff should not be tolerated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Yes, if there was a similar number of reverse ads, it'd probably not worth be complaining about.

However, think it's unlikely a similar ad, in reverse, will be next.

So because of this pattern, it turns out we get an imbalance in advertising. Fair play to donfers for doing something about it. Lots of little digs at men can add up to a bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Bit like the hunky dorys ads

alie wrote: »

Not really no, they were far less insidious yet received a lot more attention - funny that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gracie_S203

Aww for the love of all thats holy...women are subjected to this kinda crap all the time and take it..if men (or you) can't see that its a bloody joke..the world is obviously going backwards!! I mean men are constantly going on about how a womens place is in the kitchen...its obviously a joke,and a great ad to get recognition for the site..it also says "You can't sell husbands on donedeal" but realistically what women hasn't thought about it!!LOL (that comment was also intended as a joke!!!)

Get over it....complaining it..it obviously went through the standards to get on air i'm guessing!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.adworld.ie/news/read/?id=94b9d427-fdb2-4796-8d38-e4e7d038fe26
    The Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland (ASAI) has upheld a number of complaints against crisp manufacturer Largo Foods following the company's recent controversial ad campaign for its Hunky Dory range of crisps.

"Most of the complaints argued that the campaign was offensive, exploitative, tasteless, degrading and sexist towards women and brought advertising into disrepute," says the ASAI.

http://www.adworld.ie/news/read/?id=94b9d427-fdb2-4796-8d38-e4e7d038fe26
    The Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland (ASAI) has upheld a number of complaints against crisp manufacturer Largo Foods following the company's recent controversial ad campaign for its Hunky Dory range of crisps.

"Most of the complaints argued that the campaign was offensive, exploitative, tasteless, degrading and sexist towards women and brought advertising into disrepute," says the ASAI.
    And caused quite a few fender benders too. Lol

Raekwon wrote: »
    So DoneDeal.ie is now openly endorsing human trafficking?

I hope they have a wider selection then just middle aged men ;)
    He wasn't even good looking.!

Aww for the love of all thats holy...women are subjected to this kinda crap all the time and take it..if men (or you) can't see that its a bloody joke..the world is obviously going backwards!! I mean men are constantly going on about how a womens place is in the kitchen...its obviously a joke,and a great ad to get recognition for the site..it also says "You can't sell husbands on donedeal" but realistically what women hasn't thought about it!!LOL (that comment was also intended as a joke!!!)

Get over it....complaining it..it obviously went through the standards to get on air i'm guessing!!!!

100% wrong, women have never been subjected to an ad like this because quite rightly if there was an ad where a husband pimped out his wife or sold her to another guy who had asked if she was a goer then it wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in hell of getting on air

I already given my view about how damaging the whole "get over it" dismissal is - a tactic that is commonly thrown at men who have the temerity to complain and then of course you get the equal rights people asking all the team "well if you have a problem why don't you do something about it?" - it seems it is far less socially acceptable for a men to complain about sexism as he simply should get over it or write it off as a joke - hence many don't even bother because they get this type of thing thrown at them

the social conditioning suggests men should stoically accept this stuff while for women there are numerous "equality" or gender studies or women's rights type organisations and they see it as an empowering thing

while the social culture continues that basically suggests men should suffer in silence and be scorned and mocked if they highlight this kind of stuff, while the social culture continues whereby there is a stigma attached to men seeking support as a result of discrimination, while the social culture continues whereby there are so few support networks or avenues for man to go down, then so too will the number of male suicides continues to increase at rates far in excess of those for women

however maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be, I personally think the ad is crass, not funny at all and offensive to men and although in its own right it is unlikely to cause any great damage, i thinkt he fact that it is accepted as part of the demeaning attitude towards men in advertising could have very serious consequences

I also accept that women have separate very serious and widespread issues that affect them in terms of how they are portrayed in advertising and quite rightly they tend to make some noise when they perceive wrongdoing there

but i am just discussing this issue about how males are portrayed and for me this ad was the tipping-point, barely a whisper about it - that it just seems par for the course is the most worrying aspect for me and i hope people start to speak out (and that if they do so they are not ridiculed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I actually don't know if many guys would actually be "offended" by this. I think why men are starting to take exception to this kind of advertising is because of the huge double standard. Its more to to with the principle of it.

Advertisement