Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yakuza 5 reveal planned for next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

you mean shenmue 3, right?! I dont give 2 ****es about yakuza and yet there has been freaking 5 games, or is it 6 with that zombie one?

Why just they not make 2 of those yakuza games and lump it into shenmue which will create a much bigger stir?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yakuza sells bucketloads in Japan. Shenmue didn't (go in to Super Potato Akihabara and see the dozens of unsold copies being fobbed off for 200 yen a pop). The niche Western Market demanding Shenmue 3 are, alas, not the largest target audience, especially for cash strapped Sega. Yakuza is a guaranteed cash cow in its homeland: the trashy soap opera gangster stuff an easy sell.

That said, it needs the kick in the nads this is rumoured to offer. Working on the same engine and basic structure for several games now is getting tiring. Yakuza surprisingly remains the most accurate portrayal of walking around and living in Japan (with more random battles and subquests, naturally) right down to tiny details like traffic light noises. With the scope and tech improved, this could be special. But it really needs to be more ambitious than previous sequels have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/05/23/yakuza-5-announced-5-playable-characters-and-a-brand-new-engine/#more-23006

New details announced , new engine as predicted also has more content than previous yakuza games :D coming out in japan this winter, i expect it to come out in the west in 2013

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some info: http://kotaku.com/5912562/yakuza-5-is-a-brand-new-yakuza-ready-to-punch-your-face-in/gallery/1. Multi-city as expected, including Hokkaido (I'm guessing they mean Sapporo by that - but snow!), Nagoya (commerce!), Osaka (mini-Tokyo!) and Fukuoka (Ramen! Sumo!). New engine and new characters too - including, oddly, orphan Haruka.

(or as above: I are too slow!)

Some info: http://kotaku.com/5912562/yakuza-5-is-a-brand-new-yakuza-ready-to-punch-your-face-in/gallery/1. Multi-city as expected, including Hokkaido (I'm guessing they mean Sapporo by that - but snow!), Nagoya (commerce!), Osaka (mini-Tokyo!) and Fukuoka (Ramen! Sumo!). New engine and new characters too - including, oddly, orphan Haruka.

(or as above: I are too slow!)

Worth a mention the second time :pac:

• Advertisement

Screenshots look amazing , kazama kiryu getting older :(

screenshot_283351_thumb_wide940.jpg

screenshot_283350_thumb_wide940.jpg

screenshot_283338_thumb_wide940.jpg

looks of more at the link below , so pumped :D

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/viewer.php?mode=article&id=283338#top_banner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So where would be the best place to get into the series? Always heard good things but never dipped me toe, as it were. I would say hunting down the first 2 on PS2 is a fools errand at this stage, so Y3 on PS3 best point to jump in?

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So where would be the best place to get into the series? Always heard good things but never dipped me toe, as it were. I would say hunting down the first 2 on PS2 is a fools errand at this stage, so Y3 on PS3 best point to jump in?

first 2 yakuza games for the ps2 are still amazing to play today, but you could jump into yakuza 3 no problem , they let ya know what happens in the first 2 with the story so ya wont be left wondering whats going on , if you enjoy 3 then you love yakuza 4 more and less the same but has way more content and mini games.
    you wont be let down by the series, it has so much charm :D

Huh, checked Amazon and it actually has the first 2 games (plus 3,4 and Dead Souls) and each game is under 20 quid. Would have thought they would be harder to find :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Same as yourself, I remember playing Yakuza 1 a generation ago and people seem to go mad for the latest offerrings on PS3. It's gonna be a dry summer, games wise anyway, so wouldn't mind giving something like this a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    you mean shenmue 3, right?! I dont give 2 ****es about yakuza and yet there has been freaking 5 games, or is it 6 with that zombie one?

Why just they not make 2 of those yakuza games and lump it into shenmue which will create a much bigger stir?

have you ever played any of the yakuza games? there completely different from shenmue the yakuza series is probably one of the best available on the ps3

Huh, checked Amazon and it actually has the first 2 games (plus 3,4 and Dead Souls) and each game is under 20 quid. Would have thought they would be harder to find :p

which amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

caspa307 wrote: »
    which amazon?
    .co.uk:

Yakuza £16.19
    Yakuza 2 £17.04
    Yakuza 3 £16.72
    Yakuza 4 £22.50 (second hand)
    Yakuza Dead Souls £14.99

.co.uk:

Yakuza £16.19
    Yakuza 2 £17.04
    Yakuza 3 £16.72
    Yakuza 4 £22.50 (second hand)
    Yakuza Dead Souls £14.99

lol this is gonna sound stupid but do they ship to ireland i didnt think amazon did?

Yeah they do. There was a point a few years back where they stopped but seems to have been reversed.

Yeah they do. There was a point a few years back where they stopped but seems to have been reversed.

tried to get dead souls and 4 but they cant deliver to ireland :(

Saw this promo copy of Yakuza 3 on ebay for 12 quid with delivery. Any chance this might not be complete code as it is a promo copy?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Yakuza-3-New-PS3-/140754312689?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item20c59c5df1

After a nice tip from Caspa, I picked up Yakuza 3 in xtravision. Gonna give it a lash tonight. I will probably be asking for some tips so might give a mighty resurrection to the Yakuza 3 thread.

Lets see how this goes....

sheehy83 wrote: »
    After a nice tip from Caspa, I picked up Yakuza 3 in xtravision. Gonna give it a lash tonight. I will probably be asking for some tips so might give a mighty resurrection to the Yakuza 3 thread.

What price was it? Saw a copy of it in town today for 40 euro preowned, Been meaning to pick up a copy to replace the one that was borrowed and never returned.

20 quid 2nd hand

Edit: and it came with some bonus cd including the soundtrack and DLC but i'm guessing that might be used by now, will chance it anyway though.

• Advertisement

if ya have any questions sheehy send me a message on psn of write here and i help ya out :)

Sound Richy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

No mahjong please :o

that is the most confusing mini game I've ever played in my life... :o

It's worth learning Koi-Koi though. Best card game ever.

Like A Dragon is a Takashi Miike film is based on the Yakuza series and is well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I started on Yakuza 3, and they go into great detail of explaining the back story, however if you've never played them before it can be a bit of an info-overload!

Great game though, spent many hours just walking around and getting into random fights/picking up random sub-quests, finding locker keys (I may have got some small internet help on that one), and the orphanage plot is really well implemented.

Started Yakuza 4 there a while ago (picked it up cheap on play i think), and would still be playing it now if it wasn't for the Witcher 2 getting in the way.

Looking forward to Yakuza 5, but have to wait until i'm home to check out everything posted above, thank you work firewall...

Also, i absolutely love the crane game music in 3!!!!

I started Yakuza 3 and info overload is an understatement. I'm finding it very hard to remember/recognise peoples names, even my own. Gonna try finish my Arkham City platinum before heading back into this. I am enjoying wandering the streets getting into fights. Much better than the demo I played ages ago!

I started Yakuza 3 and info overload is an understatement. I'm finding it very hard to remember/recognise peoples names, even my own. Gonna try finish my Arkham City platinum before heading back into this. I am enjoying wandering the streets getting into fights. Much better than the demo I played ages ago!

Does take awhile to get used to remembering names of streets and people but when it clicks you be flying in no time.
    If you like yakuza 3 you love yakuza 4, basically the same but more mini games and you control 4 characters than just one :D

just picked up 4 and yakuza of the dead for 65 in gamestop

• Advertisement

for those who missed out on yakuza 1 and 2 it has being reported a hd remake is arriving

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/07/13/report-yakuza-1-2-hd-coming-to-playstation-3

BUY THESE GAMES

Advertisement