Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European player of the year

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Ruan Pienaar
    GerM wrote: »
    mystic86 wrote: »
    Can't understand people thinking Sexton deserved it, he got 25% in the poll above :confused: how!

The tournaments top scorer, man of the match in 2 of the 8 games he played and was the biggest reason Leinster didn't lose in their away games all of which were one score games.

I don't know how...

His defence alone would merit the award.

Delighted for Rob though, he was electric at times this season.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

The tournaments top scorer, man of the match in 2 of the 8 games he played and was the biggest reason Leinster didn't lose in their away games all of which were one score games.

I don't know how...

Top scorer - kick taker for Leinster, not that hard to be top scorer with all the try conversions and penalties awarded thanks to other players.

"biggest reason Leinster didn't lose in their away games" - an opinion only.

.ak wrote: »
    Oh yeah... Because we're the yardstick of professional opinion. :rolleyes:

Sexton is THE reason Leinster are fortunate with their current success. He embodies everything they stand for and by far the better all-round football with a wider range of skills than Rob.

Rob's 'come-back' is something of legendary stature, and his performance in the semi and the final makes him a deserved winner.

ROG still should've got it though...

good man, get your dig in, why exactly do you think I think ROG deserves it? What a load of ridiculous tosh,
    Kearney deserved it, with room to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't know how...

Top scorer - kick taker for Leinster, not that hard to be top scorer with all the try conversions and penalties awarded thanks to other players.

Would you really disagree with that..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Jonny Wilkinson

"European Player of the Year" - the opinion of the judging panel only. What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sexton makes Leinster tick, it's as simple as that. He's probably our best passer he conducts himself brilliantly around the pitch.

What is at that you fail to see in Sexton? Most people would now agree that he's a very good outhalf. One of the very best in Europe.

And he is one of the biggest reasons why Leinster didn't lose their home games. He scored a penalty in the 80th minute to draw the game at Montpellier. Bath and Glasgow away were also very tight games.

Sexton's the best defensive 10 in the NH. There is no hole for a wide channel at Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Ruan Pienaar
    Sexton's the best defensive 10 in the NH. There is no hole for a wide channel at Leinster.

FYP

Clegg wrote: »
    What is at that you fail to see in Sexton? Most people would now agree that he's a very good outhalf. One of the very best in Europe.

woah

Hang on there, I agree he's a very good outhalf too! Great at times. Not European player of the year though, which is what I'm commenting on. Just about making the shortlist would be at most what I would agree with. He is surrounded by excellent players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Ruan Pienaar
    woah

Hang on there, I agree he's a very good outhalf too! Great at times. Not European player of the year though, which is what I'm commenting on.

He's just as deserving as Kearney

Without Sexton Leinster may not have won the HC. I think they still would have won it had Kearney been injured

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Jonny Wilkinson

Not a bad achievement considering he was injured for one game, wasn't the kicker for another and was taken off early in several others.

As for the away games, he kicked the awkward last minute penalty to draw in Montpellier, provided a masterclass in playing a tight game and defence in Bath (along with scoring all the points) and conjured up the crucial try and made all his tackles whilst playing with one leg in Glasgow. That's before the Clermont game management and kicking performance coupled with absolutely huge defence such as stopping a lock on the charge on his own line in the last minute.

I'm rationalising my opinions. Can you do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jonathan Sexton
    Sure ROG is better

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Jonny Wilkinson
    ROG is above European Player of the Year standard

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Jonathan Sexton
    Actually I started watching the final there again. Did anyone notice Sexton screaming at one of the back 3 players (McFadden id guess?) before kickoff? He really is a leader in that team.

Sure ROG is better

:rolleyes:

That's just your opinion DUDE!! :D

It's not close anymore, the battle between Sexton and O'Gara, why are people thinking because I don't think he would deserve to be European player of the year that this means I think O'Gara is better? Sexton was great, Kearney was better, IMO, and I'm SURPRISED so many people think Sexton would deserve it, IMO.

It's not you they're taking the piss out of, it's ROG

Tox56 wrote: »
    It's not you they're taking the piss out of, it's ROG

hardly a need for that either? why like?

Actually I started watching the final there again. Did anyone notice Sexton screaming at one of the back 3 players (McFadden id guess?) before kickoff? He really is a leader in that team.

Saw that at the time and I think it was Reddan, thought it was a bit odd but still made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Jonny Wilkinson
    Sexton is the very embodiment of Leinster rugby, anyone who can't see that is blinded by their own ignorance and it's not even worth debating it with them.

Teferi wrote: »
    Sexton is the very embodiment of Leinster rugby, anyone who can't see that is blinded by their own ignorance and it's not even worth debating it with them.

LOL, wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Seph503

Jonny Wilkinson
    LOL, wow

Everytime Sexton gets the ball it feels like something is going to come from it.

Attacks the line, slick passing, hard tackles and always gives support run options. If that's not Leinster I don't know what is.

Think Farrelly called him the "Commander-in-Chief", not a bad description if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Jonny Wilkinson
    Delighted for Rob, thoroughly deserved.

Sexton must have been close, but Rob had a more spectacular season. For me though, it's Sexton's leadership and never give up attitude that makes him great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Rob Kearney
    good man, get your dig in, why exactly do you think I think ROG deserves it? What a load of ridiculous tosh,
    Kearney deserved it, with room to spare.
    'Taking the Ronan' may become a new phrase in everyday use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

jacothelad wrote: »
    'Taking the Ronan' may become a new phrase in everyday use.

You're pulling my rog, surely?

Advertisement