Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why are irish surnames not more common in america?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Should also have mentioned that a fair percentage of what seem like English surnames, may in fact be carried by African-Americans.

This is a reminder that their predecessors took their surname from their white owners, a fact that explains the preponderance of Scottish surnames among the black population of Belize, formerly known as British Guyana.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Dr.Tank Adams

They've always seem reasonably common to me, if often horribly misspelled. I suppose it could be down to the fact that many of the people who report "Irish" ancestry are actually Ulster-Scots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

in my family tree there seems to be a pattern that the people who emigrated to Pennsylvania (mostly women) married other irishmen and their children married people with other irish surnames, this is compared to others who emigrated to Canada and married people with English surnames.

Advertisement