Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Compiled list of games stolen from Neogaf :pac:

1001 Spikes (developed by Nicalis, publisher unknown)
    Aliens Colonial Marines (developed by Gearbox Software, published by Sega)
    Assassin’s Creed III (developed by Ubisoft Montrea, published by Ubisoft)
    Avengers: Battle for the Earth (developed by Ubisoft Quebec, published by Ubisoft) - Might have been a slip in a press release
    Batman Arkham City (developed by Rocksteady Studios, published by Warner Bros. Interactive)
    Cloudberry Kingdom (developed by pwnee Studios)
    Darksiders II (developed by Vigil Games, published by THQ)
    DiRT (developed and published by Codemasters)
    Dragon Quest X Online (developed by Armor Project and Square Enix, published by Square Enix)
    F1 (developed and published by Codemasters)
    Ghost Recon Online (developed by Ubisoft Singapore, published by Ubisoft)
    Killer Freaks from Outer Space (developed by Ubisoft Montpellier, published by Ubisoft)
    Lego City Stories (developed by Traveller's Tales, published by Nintendo)
    Marvel Pinball (developed by Zen Studios, publisher unclear)
    Metro: Last Light (developed by 4A Games, published by THQ)
    Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge (developed by Team Ninja, published by Tecmo-Koei)
    Pikmin 3 (developed by Nintendo EAD, published by Nintendo)
    Pinball Arcade (developed by FarSight Studios)
    Project CARS (developed by Slightly Mad Studios, publisher unknown)
    Rayman Legends (developed by Ubisoft Montpellier, published by Ubisoft)
    Super Smash Bros (developed by Project Sora probably with help from other teams, published by Nintendo)
    Untitled project by Monolith Software
    Untitled Rabbids project (developed and published by Ubisoft)

Hinted/Rumored:

Activision (Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Treyarch, Vicarious Visions, James Bond 007 game)
    Bandai-Namco (Ridge Racer, Tekken)
    Bloober Team (multiple titles)
    Capcom (“Action game” listing)
    Crytek (Nottingham team has Wii U SDK, and and they're excited about it)
    Deep Silver Inc. (multiple titles)
    EA (Sports titles, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Overstrike, Visceral Games)
    Funbox Media Ltd (multiple titles)
    LucasArts (action/adventure title, MMO)
    Maximum Family Games, LLC. (racing title)
    Reflections Ubisoft (several linkedln profiles hinting at Wii U project)
    Rebellion (multiple titles)
    Retro Studios (Nintendo)
    Sega (Sonic, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed)
    Shin'en (has Wii U SDK)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Interesting

Total of 4 different events for Nintendo, and because they're showing hardware tomorrow then Ubisoft/EA are free to show off Wii U versions of titles at their conferences on Monday.

Nintendo pretty much own E3. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, the fact that the hardware is meant to be talked about later, could give Ubisoft and EA more freedom. But then maybe Nintendo still want all game reveals for their conference.
    As someone else suggested, tonight could just be to officially reveal the redesigned controller and explain the NFC tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

U-10 minutes and counting! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Well now....

Shut_5a3a82_1972885.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

That was boring.

I thought it was quite good, shows that they are actually thinking of the social element of gaming and how these connections should work.

Day One Purchase for me.
    Nintendo fixed their online, that's what I wanted to go along with their great First Party games.

When will people learn that you can't hotlink funkyjunk?

• Advertisement

Will have to read more about the Miiverse.

Was that the first we saw of the New Super Mario Mii map screen?

Hope we don't have to do that with the gamepad if we want to make a call.

2 wee things noticed: No wires attached to pad and Black Wii U

Day One Purchase for me.
    Nintendo fixed their online, that's what I wanted to go along with their great First Party games.

When will people learn that you can't hotlink funkyjunk?

I'm thinking the same, but just hope that they've made it easier to add people. The 3DS was a small step forward. Gamer IDs would be much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Im going to have to watch again when its uploaded somewhere, my connection was dire. What I could decipher, apart from the little circle shows buffering, was quite good. Iwata speaks excellent English too.

That, and theres a lot of pricks and haters on Twitter.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    2 wee things noticed: No wires attached to pad and Black Wii U

With co-ordinating black controller, and gamepad pro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The only thing I liked was the pro controller which I would rather than that oversized tablet in my hands. The name WiiU is still crap and then they add in wara wara, huh? Nintendo are still targeting families as their target market which is a big mistake IMO.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Im going to have to watch again when its uploaded somewhere, my connection was dire. What I could decipher, apart from the little circle shows buffering, was quite good. Iwata speaks excellent English too.

That, and theres a lot of pricks and haters on Twitter.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_direct_pre_e3_2012/en/index.html
    It's there.

The only thing I liked was the pro controller which I would rather than that oversized tablet in my hands. The name WiiU is still crap and then they add in wara wara, huh? Nintendo are still targeting families as their target market which is a big mistake IMO.
    They're saving the games we'll be interested in for e3, most likely.
    They're airing their conference on Spike TV in America, which is the "dudebro" network, meaning CoD players.
    I don't get how a name does anything to games.

Can use the GamePad as a tv remote, that twitter-esque nintendo thing, video chatting, mobile app, black wii U, and THAT WHOLE MIIVERSE THING.
    qEi7m.png

good show, pretty excited.

Can use the GamePad as a tv remote, that twitter-esque nintendo thing, video chatting, mobile app, black wii U, and THAT WHOLE MIIVERSE THING.
    qEi7m.png

good show, pretty excited.

yes the gameube controller evolved i love it

for the people that say this was boring this is what the show was for to get the small stuff out of the way for tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I can see that Miiverse thing just descending into penis pictures! I also didn't like that integration with the game. In a story-driven game, spoilers will be everywhere.

Yep. This got the redesign, confirmation of name and online details out of the way. In other words, 30 extra minutes of software on Tuesday. :D

You think that was a real zombie game?

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    I can see that Miiverse thing just descending into penis pictures! I also didn't like that integration with the game. In a story-driven game, spoilers will be everywhere.

I'd say there'll be disable options. And probably options to choose who you can and can't see and vice versa. Nintendo are aware of privacy which was part of the reason for friend codes instead of something like online accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

qEi7m.png

Looks familiar

Buy_Xbox_360_Wireless_Controller_Matte_Black.jpg

Yep. Looks like the Classic controller Pro with analog stick moved. :)

Well the idea was to appeal to people who wanted a controller they were used to. And if both sticks were down it would be similar to PS3 controller.

Smart move really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Remember preordering the original wii and going in to collect it. Remember the hype? Anyway, smyths packed with displays, and demo screens and buyers with their order slips etc. Anyway, was just collecting my own when this bloke comes up to the counter: "I'll take one of those Nintendo Why yolks" "Have you preordered it?" "Boll0x to that, I'll get it in the other shop missy, you just lost a sale"

Anyway, yeah, I'll be a day oner. I liked the wii initially but it's a pity it just wasn't up for the hardcore games. Looks like this may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think that is a good start to E3 for Nintendo. I'm glad they have introduced a second controller. It was such an obvious step that I thought they weren't going to bother.

I actually like all the Mii stuff from the Wii and the 3DS so I'm excited to see what the Mii Universe will bring. Just a shame it won't launch with the WiiU. You would have thought Nintendo would have learnt a lesson from the 3DS launch.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    You think that was a real zombie game?

Judging by the graphics, it might be a pack-in.
    Or that was just a bad example of gameplay and it's Retro's new epic.

From what I understood, the Miiverse is there from day one. It's the accessing from PC/smartphone that won't be available

Judging by the graphics, it might be a pack-in.
    Or that was just a bad example of gameplay and it's Retro's new epic.

Retro took over the House of the Dead franchise. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

RANT MODE:

God, that must be the least inspiring video in the history of hardware launches. What happened to winning back the core gamer, huh? Everyone sitting around the living room, doing their own thing, not interacting? Yeah Nintendo, I know...THAT'S HOW I LIKE IT.

Why would I need to go on Miiverse to find out how to progress in a game? Do Nintendo not realise that I can just google it? Don't they know there are entire websites out there dedicated solely to providing walkthroughs of major Nintendo titles?

And don't they know I already have a laptop handy on which to look up that stuff? Have they even looked at any of these new-fangled HDTVs the Wii U is supposed to take advantage of? You know all those smart functions and inputs on there, Nintendo? You know I can connect to the internet with the right set-up, don't you? Simple as picking up a remote control (yep, I've got several of those already too, so I don't need your controller to do the same thing.)

Between all that and my ****ing smartphone, I'M ONLINE AND ABLE TO LOOK STUFF UP AND SOCIAL NETWORK ALL THE ****ING TIME, NINTENDO! I DON'T WANT A CONSOLE THAT OFFERS A HODGE-PODGE OF XBOX LIVE, GAMEFAQS, FACEBOOK AND SKYPE (every one of which probably do their main function much better than the Wii U's online functions ever will, judging by the Japanese company's form in this department.)

And how can the "asymmetric displays" or whatever be crucial to the games if they also have to support the ability to just switch to playing on the controller screen at any time? Can't have it both ways: you can't have games that use both displays but which can be switched to the controller if some ****er walks in and complains they're missing Eastenders.

And oh, I can draw on it? That's great, except I've been using pencils and sketchpads all my life to do that, and they're roughy 8-trillion times better for doing that than your bloody touchscreen will be!

I'm sorry, but I was really looking forward to this. The NES (thanks for me reminding me what that was, too) was my second gaming platform (after the ZX Spectrum) and I think Nintendo have made most of the greatest innovations in console history, along with some of the finest games ever, but this thing looks like a piece of ****. It's going to hideously underpowered compared to the true next-gen consoles (ok, nothing is certain yet, but let's just accept that that's highly likely to be the case) and I see nothing there to suggest it's going to make up for that in any other area. I voted "give it six months and see" in the poll, but unless they really pull something out of the hat when they show the actual games (which I concede is the really important thing!) then I'm almost hoping this thing bombs.

/RANT OVER. :P

• Advertisement

Kinski wrote: »
    RANT MODE:

God, that must be the least inspiring video in the history of hardware launches. What happened to winning back the core gamer, huh? Everyone sitting around the living room, doing their own thing, not interacting? Yeah Nintendo, I know...THAT'S HOW I LIKE IT.

Why would I need to go on Miiverse to find out how to progress in a game? Do Nintendo not realise that I can just google it? Don't they know there are entire websites out there dedicated solely to providing walkthroughs of major Nintendo titles?

And don't they know I already have a laptop handy on which to look up that stuff? Have they even looked at any of these new-fangled HDTVs the Wii U is supposed to take advantage of? You know all those smart functions and inputs on there, Nintendo? You know I can connect to the internet with the right set-up, don't you? Simple as picking up a remote control (yep, I've got several of those already too, so I don't need your controller to do the same thing.)

Between all that and my ****ing smartphone, I'M ONLINE AND ABLE TO LOOK STUFF UP AND SOCIAL NETWORK ALL THE ****ING TIME, NINTENDO! I DON'T WANT A CONSOLE THAT OFFERS A HODGE-PODGE OF XBOX LIVE, GAMEFAQS, FACEBOOK AND SKYPE (every one of which probably do their main function much better than the Wii U's online functions ever will, judging by the Japanese company's form in this department.)

And how can the "asymmetric displays" or whatever be crucial to the games if they also have to support the ability to just switch to playing on the controller screen at any time? Can't have it both ways: you can't have games that use both displays but which can be switched to the controller if some ****er walks in and complains they're missing Eastenders.

And oh, I can draw on it? That's great, except I've been using pencils and sketchpads all my life to do that, and they're roughy 8-trillion times better for doing that than your bloody touchscreen will be!

I'm sorry, but I was really looking forward to this. The NES (thanks for me reminding me what that was, too) was my second gaming platform (after the ZX Spectrum) and I think Nintendo have made most of the greatest innovations in console history, along with some of the finest games ever, but this thing looks like a piece of ****. It's going to hideously underpowered compared to the true next-gen consoles (ok, nothing is certain yet, but let's just accept that that's highly likely to be the case) and I see nothing there to suggest it's going to make up for that in any other area. I voted "give it six months and see" in the poll, but unless they really pull something out of the hat when they show the actual games (which I concede is the really important thing!) then I'm almost hoping this thing bombs.

/RANT OVER. :P

If you're serious, e3 hasn't even started yet.

Advertisement