Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wii U Pre-Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I voted Day One but by that I mean by Xmas 2012 I will have one, will probably get it as soon after launch as I can but that period is just mental with work so may not have time to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

If Mario Kart were a launch title, I'd probably get it at launch.

As I'm pretty sure it won't be, I'm going to wait a while to see reviews and upcoming titles. I sincerely hope Nintendo won't make the same mistake it made with the 3DS by having no standout launch titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They say they've learned. The thing we have to look out for is the term "launch window". I'm sure Icarus was a launch window title for 3DS. :)

But I'm sure there'll be one Mario title that's either a platformer or kart. I know there'll be NSMBMii but hopefully there's another game that shows what the console can do.

And I would like to see some third party exclusives, that aren't just timed exclusives. Maybe Zack & Wiki 2 or a new Okami.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'm really hoping that there's a new Pro Evo that keeps the wiimote-as-pointer RTS angle that made the Wii versions so fresh and awesome and adds a whole new game mode where you can watch online games and do commentary using the WiiU touchscreen to draw on the screen and show the world that the striker is a lazy bastard who never tracks back. You could also have a Manager role for multiplayer games where the manager draws up plans for plays before the game, then activates them using macro buttons on the touch screen that affect how the whole team moves while other players control individual players. And also draw a dot on your technical area to show how far out you'd go while shouting your orders, because people love stupid little details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

If I was getting one myself, I would for sure get it on launch date. Didn't get the 3DS on launch cause I poor at the time (and didn't like the launch colours) and I was searing with jealousy for months! Got the Wii on launch date alright. I remember getting Wii Sports, Wii Play and Twilight Princess around the time, and it was more than enough games to start off with. I'm sure Nintendo will have some sort of a Wii Sports/Play type game with launch, which are a lot of fun and great for getting used to a new type of controller if you get me. They will release one or two that show off the console. And probably one longer type game.

Damo will be getting one for the both of us anyway :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Didn't get the 3DS on launch cause I poor at the time and I was searing with jealousy for months!

There really was nothing to be jealous about up until recent months, especially if you had an N64 :p

All the streetpass hits I missed though :(:pac:

All the streetpass hits I missed though :(:pac:

I still have no idea what Streetpass even is. Hows that for stuck in my ways! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Getting it on day one, no question about it. Holding off on arkham city so i can get it on wiiu. Would love resi 6 that would be perfect. Really wish i could say im lookin forward to a new mario, but frankly there have been to many over the past few years. Mad for that zelda, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'll wait for e3 when they actually tell us something about the console to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

This is supposedly the launch lineup, leaked by some retailer:
    For me, I'm looking forward to picking up Aliens: Colonial Marines, Dirt 3, Formula 1 All Stars and Ghost Recon Online on day 1.

Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Assassin’s Creed
    Batman: Arkham City
    Darksiders II
    Dirt 3
    Formula 1 All Stars
    Game Party
    Ghost Recon Online
    Just Dance 4
    Killer Freaks from Outer Space
    Marvel Super Heroes
    Metro: Last Light
    Monsters Party
    New Super Mario Brothers WiiU
    Ninja Gaiden 3
    Pikmin
    Rabbids Party Land
    Raving Rabbids
    Rayman Legends
    Shield Pose
    Splinter Cell 5
    Sports Connection
    Tekken
    Your Shape 2013
    Zombie

Also: Interesting rumour on Android integration out of the box:
    http://www.slashgear.com/wii-u-with-android-tipped-for-launch-26224951/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

If that 'Blockbuster':rolleyes: list is real I'm looking forward to...
    smokingman wrote: »
    Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Assassin’s Creed
    Batman: Arkham City
    Darksiders II
    Dirt 3
    Formula 1 All Stars
    Game Party
    Ghost Recon Online
    Just Dance 4
    Killer Freaks from Outer Space
    Marvel Super Heroes
    Metro: Last Light
    Monsters Party
    New Super Mario Brothers WiiU
    Ninja Gaiden 3
    Pikmin
    Rabbids Party Land
    Raving Rabbids
    Rayman Legends
    Shield Pose
    Splinter Cell 5
    Sports Connection
    Tekken
    Your Shape 2013
    Zombie (need to find out what Zombie game this is)

Would be happy with them on day of launch! IF its real that is.

Isn't the Darkness 2 meant to be on that list?

What I would like Nintendo/third parties to do and it should help them win people over is to put previous versions of games on the disc as well like the PS3 does. Like how you got the original Assassin's Creed with Assassin's Creed Revelations on PS3, I would like to see maybe Darksiders on the Darksiders 2 disc. Like I don't know about everyone else, but I like to play games before I play their sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ooh, Assassains Creed, i knew i was forgetting something.
    Wow, that launch line up is way, way stronger than wii or 3ds.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

I'm not overly sure to be honest. Said I wasn't getting a 3DS on launch day,yet 2 weeks prior to it's launch I traded in half of my belongings to book one :P Was sorely disappointed, only games I've really played since I got it is Ocarina of Time and the new Super Mario Land.

Nintendo are going to have to do something sensational at E3 to entice me - I'm sure other people feel the same as me!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

From Smokingman's list, I would like to get:
    Aliens: Colonial Marines (maybe)
    Assassin’s Creed (It'll be tough holding out for the Wii-U version though)
    Darksiders II Possibly, currently trying the original on PS3
    Killer Freaks from Outer Space This just looks like a fun shooter, and if Ubi pull it out of the bag, looks like it could be great!
    Zombie Depends what kind of Zombie game it is!

Also: Interesting rumour on Android integration out of the box:
    http://www.slashgear.com/wii-u-with-android-tipped-for-launch-26224951/

If the Android integration is true, that'll be very impressive, and convenient!

From Smokingman's list, I would like to get:

If the Android integration is true, that'll be very impressive, and convenient!

You'll be getting Just Dance 4 too ;):pac:

So what are peoples opinions on the 'estore' with the WiiU?

Will Nintendo just transfer all the Wii shop games from previous Gens to the estore and continue on from there? Or will they start it off with the Launch WiiU titles on there along with a few Gamecube games?

Would love to see Sunshine and Wind Waker and maybe even Metroid Prime on there from Day 1!

What price would you pay for Gamecube games? I think €20 max is fair, but knowing Ninty they will charge €39.99 for these now 10 year old games.

I suppose they will have to re-work the new 'Umote' controller into the Gamecube games but that wont be too much work, just changing the C-stick to the new circle pad, prob takes two seconds to update.

One thing here about having full WiiU games on the estore, for me, is that they better have a decent sized HDD on the system, min 100GB, seeing as the PS3 and Xbox360 go for no more than €300 with 250GB(?) I dont see why Ninty wouldnt include a ample amount of space for all these 'downloadable' games.

The thing about gamecube games is that not only do they have to map to the new controller, they also need to change onscreen prompts, though that should be small enough change as well as I'd say they just need to change the reference images for those. Then need to figure out the best way to implement the controller, since you know the cube buttons were laid out differently.
    But how much were the New Play Control games on the Wii, like Pikmin, etc? I know the Metroid Prime Trilogy was a bargain. I doubt they'll cost any more than the new Play control games. So the €20-€25 mark depending on size, since there were 2 disc games like REmake, RE0 and Viewtiful Joe.

But a game that's expected on Wii U eShop in December is Cloudberry Kingdom. Check out the trailer. I'm at work so can't post a link as youtube, etc are blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

What price would you pay for Gamecube games? I think €20 max is fair, but knowing Ninty they will charge €39.99 for these now 10 year old games.

20 is far too much considering you can pick them up for a fiver in stores.
    Realistically, I see maybe a tenner for them though.
    One thing here about having full WiiU games on the estore, for me, is that they better have a decent sized HDD on the system, min 100GB, seeing as the PS3 and Xbox360 go for no more than €300 with 250GB(?) I dont see why Ninty wouldnt include a ample amount of space for all these 'downloadable' games.

I suspect that to bring down costs, they may have a small enough internal hard drive and then allow you to connect an external one...if they want to make the system affordable, this is definitely an option.

• Advertisement

For gamecube pricing, just wondering how much are N64 games on the Wii VC? I think the NES games are a fiver? If the gamecube games are about a tenner, that'd be great.
    Think I read the Wii U will have Cloud storage. I'm assuming this will be in the same vein as PS Plus and just give the option to store online.
    As we hear about the Nintendo Network, do you think it'll be completely free, if they'll charge or if they'll do a Plus type offer?

This time 3 weeks we should be all the more wiser to it all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

CastorTroy wrote: »
    For gamecube pricing, just wondering how much are N64 games on the Wii VC? I think the NES games are a fiver? If the gamecube games are about a tenner, that'd be great.
    Think I read the Wii U will have Cloud storage. I'm assuming this will be in the same vein as PS Plus and just give the option to store online.
    As we hear about the Nintendo Network, do you think it'll be completely free, if they'll charge or if they'll do a Plus type offer?

This time 3 weeks we should be all the more wiser to it all. :D

SNES games are 800 wii points (€8ish), N64 titles being 1000/10 euro..I'd say Gamecube titles will hit 15 or 20.

Can't complain, missed out so many good titles tbh :P

20 is far too much considering you can pick them up for a fiver in stores.
    Realistically, I see maybe a tenner for them though.

It is Nintendo, you just have to look at the prices for gameboy/colour games on the eshop, they will charge as much as they can for old games.

Sure they will release the sh!ty Gamecube games for €5 or €10.
    All the Mario, Zelda's, Metroid etc will be on the estore for min €20 at least. I'll still buy them all!!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It is Nintendo, you just have to look at the prices for gameboy/colour games on the eshop, they will charge as much as they can for old games.

Sure they will release the sh!ty Gamecube games for €5 or €10.
    All the Mario, Zelda's, Metroid etc will be on the estore for min €20 at least. I'll still buy them all!!! :rolleyes:

Look at how much they charged for the GBA ports of SNES games, the cheeky gits.

That said, I'm delighted with the VC functionality on the Wii, I happily spent a bunch of money on games that I'd been running in emulators for years before that. Hitting a reasonable price point is the key.

Yeah tbh, if we see GC games on the estore I shall buy them all at any price.

Roll on E3!

Amazon.com now have a few games(Tekken, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Dirt) listed as $49.99

Yeah tbh, if we see GC games on the estore I shall buy them all at any price.

Roll on E3!

Seriously? A Gamecube is all of €30 & the games are dirt cheap.

This pay big for old games & smile while doing it approach will have Nintendo rubbing their hands with glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Amazon.com now have a few games(Tekken, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Dirt) listed as $49.99

As they have been since e3 2011.

Wii U will probably use the eShop, cash cards not wii points, and transfer stuff from wii somehow.
    If they're planning to sell Wii U games as direct download from launch, then they probably will be selling gamecube games too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Depends on the price and many other things. I'll wait six months at least. I see no benefits in being an early adopter. I got burned too many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

The 3DS is the first console I've bought at release. Every other one I've waited at least a year. Sadly I view the 3DS as a big mistake so I will take my time to decide on the WiiU.

As for launch games I'm sure NSMBWiiU will be excellent. I haven't seen or heard of anything else that has me interested.

There is one thing that would make me buy it day one - Super Mario World Wii U. A true sequel to SMW. I know Yoshi's Island is the official sequel but it doesn't feel like it to me.

Advertisement