Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People that have aged badly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

xper wrote: »
    Taking the thread title of aged badly as meaning those who have just let themselves go rather than have allowed plastic surgeons to destroy their faces, I think there is only one winner:

Ms. Kathleen Turner

As Peter Griffin said in Family Guy, 'Awwww, that's a shame!'

Honourable mentions to Kirstie Alley and Kelly McGillis

Saw her fully starkers approx 20 feet away about 10 years ago in the Graduate on Broadway ... if only she had been more like image 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/outlooke.jpg/

Tom Cruise definitely ageing a tad better than his Top Gun compadres...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

John Travolta. Like, will his jaw ever stop expanding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 king_kong_ill

joe pesci looks about forty years older now than he did in my cousin vinny which was only twenty years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Foremans sister from that 70s show... was a ride and is now an absolute mess, google for her mugshot after she was arrested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

^ I've already done the legwork for you a few posts up.

Don't mess with meth, kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Bridgitte Bardot has to be the greatest offender for this, best anti-smoking advert ever, her face looked like you could make handbags out of it once she hit middle age.

Dennis Hopper on the other hand was smokin hot till the day he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

does this scare you?

being young enough, looking at the likes of say, Elizabeth Taylor, when she was young & then as she aged

yikes

if it don't work out too good for her, whats to become of us

:(

Elizabeth Taylor was terribly ill for literally decades before she died. She did well to make it as long as she did looking as well as she did.

I have shamelessly lifted this from her Wikipedia page. That woman looked amazing given what she went through.
    Taylor was hospitalized more than 70 times and had at least 20 major operations. Many times newspaper headlines erroneously announced that Taylor was close to death; she herself only claimed to have almost died on four occasions. At 5'4", Taylor constantly gained and lost significant amounts of weight, reaching both 119 pounds and 180 pounds in the 1980s. She smoked cigarettes into her mid-fifties, and feared she had lung cancer in October 1975 after an X-ray showed spots on her lungs, but was later found not to have the disease. Taylor broke her back five times, had both her hips replaced, had a hysterectomy, suffered from dysentery and phlebitis, punctured her esophagus, survived a benign brain tumor operation in 1997 and skin cancer, and faced life-threatening bouts with pneumonia twice, one in 1961 requiring an emergency tracheotomy. In 1983 she admitted to having been addicted to sleeping pills and painkillers for 35 years. Taylor was treated for alcoholism and prescription drug addiction at the Betty Ford Clinic for seven weeks from December 1983 to January 1984, and again from the autumn of 1988 until early 1989. On May 30, 2006, Taylor appeared on Larry King Live to refute the claims that she had been ill, and denied the allegations that she was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and was close to death. Near the end of her life, however, she was reclusive and sometimes failed to make scheduled appearances due to illness or other personal reasons. She used a wheelchair and when asked about it stated that she had osteoporosis and was born with scoliosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

goldie hawn, man she looks rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

From this

to this

Kelly LeBrock

People are seriously mixing up aging with aging badly. For a woman in her 50's, not sure how going from that picture Kelly Le Brock falls into the 'aging badly' bracket.

Here's one!

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.85890.1328807604!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

From this

to this

Kelly LeBrock

NOOOOOO!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Truley wrote: »
    Sinead O'Connor

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-f3G7pD_WgHk/TyacjYKYCjI/AAAAAAAAHHQ/qNXSfI4gLsI/s1600/sinead-o-connor.jpg

http://s2.jrnl.ie/media/2011/12/PA-11947719-310x415.jpg

Although I think their problems stem from drug use/ mental health issues more than just ageing.
    I dunno, IMHO Sinead has aged pretty well. To be fair she's pretty well preserved for a woman with four children in her mid 40's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Katgurl wrote: »
    Bridgitte Bardot has to be the greatest offender for this, best anti-smoking advert ever, her face looked like you could make handbags out of it once she hit middle age.

In which case Dennis was a great advert for smoking like a chimney and drinking like a fish for most of his life. :D

Bridgitte Bardot really didn't age well at all. IMHO certain faces don't. Mainly round young looking baby faces. When the first flush of youth goes it doesn't do them any favours. More angular faces seem to do much better. People who look older than their years at 20 tend to look better at 40. It might be why men tend to age slightly better so long as they don't pork up? Of current faces like that I predict yer wan"Penny" from The big bang theory will not age well.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Wibbs wrote: »
    Katgurl wrote: »

In which case Dennis was a great advert for smoking like a chimney and drinking like a fish for most of his life. :D

Bridgitte Bardot really didn't age well at all. IMHO certain faces don't. Mainly round young looking baby faces. When the first flush of youth goes it doesn't do them any favours. More angular faces seem to do much better. People who look older than their years at 20 tend to look better at 40. It might be why men tend to age slightly better so long as they don't pork up? Of current faces like that I predict yer wan"Penny" from The big bang theory will not age well.

Interesting theory, would the Malcolm in the middle actor fall into that category ( posted a pic on previous page). He was young and cute then it went downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Getting older looking" or even "Not looking 23 any more when not 23 any more" appears to constitute "Ageing badly" here. :)

Frankie Muniz, Courtney Cox - wtf?! They look grand!
    Clearly some very young children here.
    Edward Furlong still looks pretty babyfaced too for mid 30s, he's just put on a good bit of weight.

Sun damage seems to be more pronounced than smoking damage, from what I've seen. I'm telling ya, if you want to avoid premature wrinkles, stay out of the sun - it's worked a charm in my experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Mark Hamill aged really badly.

Actually, Jake lloyd, who played Anakin Skywalker, didn't mature well.

Must be a Star Wars thing.
    but if anything his voice has improved with age

Haley Joel Osment isnt aging badly...but is somehow turning into Galvasean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Dudess wrote: »
    "Getting older looking" or even "Not looking 23 any more" appears to constitute "Ageing badly" here. :)

Frankie Muniz, Courtney Cox - wtf?! They look grand!
    Clearly some very young children here.
    Edward Furlong still looks pretty babyfaced too for mid 30s, he's just put on a good bit of weight.

Sun damage seems to be more pronounced than smoking damage, from what I've seen. I'm telling ya, if you want to avoid premature wrinkles, stay out of the sun - it's worked a charm in my experience!

I actually think Courtney cox looks great for her age, as for Frankie Muniz, while he's not really ugly, I'd be fairly confident Malcolm in the middle will be the peak of his acting career. He just doesn't have the good/charming looks now and he's only in his mid twenties.

I think a strong jaw goes a long way to preserving looks.

Interesting theory, would the Malcolm in the middle actor fall into that category ( posted a pic on previous page). He was young and cute then it went downhill.
    Yea pretty much. Faces that are attractive precisely because they look young(round baby faces) don't look so good as the signs of age hit. Faces that are attractive without the young look tend to fair better. Men and women. IE Someone like Diane Keaton has aged very well, but she was never a "baby face". Staying the same weight (approx) makes a diff too. Nothing ages people quicker than piling on the pounds. Actually I'd say that ages men much more. It doesn't age women as quickly IMHO. Excess waist weight ages both though. With many people even relatively slim people, a certain kind of thicker waist tells you middle age even from behind. Skinny or even fat isn't nearly such an age signifier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't know, Wibbs. An overweight middle-aged person could look more youthful than a thin one, because of having a rounded, less wrinkled face.

True. I'd focus it more by saying there's a body shape in both men and women that screams middle aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickey Rourke, but thats more down to a boxing career and multiple facelifts. he was a handsome motherfcuker in his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think Angelina Jolie looks feckin woeful nowadays, but that is primarily down to being too thin. women over a certain age shouldn't be super skinny, Teri Hatchet face is another example of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Am I the only one who thinks Obama is aging very rapidly in a very small time period??? It seems to be a pretty common problem with politicians.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20088127-10391704.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

phasers wrote: »
    I think Angelina Jolie looks feckin woeful nowadays, but that is primarily down to being too thin. women over a certain age shouldn't be super skinny, Teri Hatchet face is another example of this.

Yeah, they were both stunners ten years back - way too much scrawn going on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Ya but he's not quite right. He has brain damage from an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Sean Bean looks good for 53 IMO.

Advertisement