Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Confab wrote: »
    None. Tattooing was originally a cultural thing, but now its just writing on yourself.

You're looking at the wrong tattoos (or just people are getting the wrong ones). I'll agree that it has nearly lost some of its roots but it's come a long way since spirals and tribal work and rites of passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angelbabie

people who havent anything interesting to say shouldnt bother saying anything at all. or did their parents not teach them that no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭TehDagsBass

angelbabie wrote: »
    what i do to my body is my business and i certainly am no idiot for doing so. Its all about personal choice no?

Oh, it certainly is your business. However, if I think that grown adults who draw on themselves, or have an "artist" draw on them, in a way that takes lasers to remove and permanently scar are idiots, that's my opinion.

I mean, sure you'll defend yourself for it, you've got some randomer's drawings drawn onto your skin that'll cost you thousands to remove. Lol.

Oh and with regards to the Bible, if you're one of those who marked one of the Christian religions down on the census then you're as subject to its teachings as any others that break them. People murdering does not give you an excuse to break what you deem to be the "lesser" of Gods instructions.

Regarding "judging", I'm not a Christian so I will more than happily judge those who claim to be and yet don't abide by its teachings, and even more happily judge people who haven't the decision making skills to see that putting near permanent marks on yourself in the name of something you're into at a particularly point in time is idiotic. Just as Christians judge me to be a godless heathen destined to burn in "hell" all the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Oh, it certainly is your business. However, if I think that grown adults who draw on themselves, or have an "artist" draw on them, in a way that takes lasers to remove and permanently scar are idiots, that's my opinion.

Yes, ill-informed, wrong and judgemental as it is, its yours. You're entitled to it. Certainly I wouldn't want to take it off you and say it was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭angelbabie

whoever said that i wanted to remove them or ever would in any point of my life? i got them to mark different periods of my life and of which are symbolic to me. Its a pity that someone so well spoken like yourself would be so close minded. My religion is my own business but once again i never stated i was a catholic. People should not jump to their own conclusions on matters based on self worth.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, ill-informed, wrong and judgemental as it is, its yours. You're entitled to it. Certainly I wouldn't want to take it off you and say it was mine.
    Not really, I've heard lots of the "reasons" for getting tattoos and I've lol'd at every one of them. It amounts to little more than "I think I'll look cool and original with one of these, now lets figure out a reason to tell people I got it".

But hey, keep the faith man, you're going to need it when your kids and others are asking you what that blob on your skin is and why you did that to yourself.

angelbabie wrote: »
    whoever said that i wanted to remove them or ever would in any point of my life? i got them to mark different periods of my life and of which are symbolic to me. Its a pity that someone so well spoken like yourself would be so close minded. My religion is my own business but once again i never stated i was a catholic. People should not jump to their own conclusions on matters based on self worth.
    The religious comment was aimed at the 84% of those reading this who said they're Catholic to be fair, not anyone in particular. Just a casual reminder that what you're (they) are going is against their Gods wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Had a he-man tattoo when I was 9 which i got free with a jelly he-man sweet but my parents eventually threw me into the bath after a week and it came off.

Not really, I've heard lots of the "reasons" for getting tattoos and I've lol'd at every one of them.

You did? What a wonderful human being you are.

And you've the psychic powers that tell you what peoples real motivations are as well. We can put that on your gravestone - 'He Had Powers And lol'd".
    But hey, keep the faith man, you're going to need it when your kids and others are asking you what that blob on your skin is and why you did that to yourself.

......yes....I got my 1st at 18 and I'm 42 now and it hasn't happened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

My face, neck, hands, feet and right arm are the only ones without tattoos, I'm riddled.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    You did? What a wonderful human being you are.

Yes, 'cause finding someone's reasoning amusing for something I perceive as stupid is a judge of my worth as a human being. Stretching the little bout of hysteria out quite nicely there Nodin.
    And you've the psychic powers that tell you what peoples real motivations are as well. We can put that on your gravestone - 'He Had Powers And lol'd".

Well, when one watches enough Miami and LA Ink, along with one's general encounters in society, one can see through such vacuous statements as "my maw done loved them butterflies so I's gettin' a butterfly tattooed to ma forehead to 'member her by".

Well, when one watches enough Miami and LA Ink, along with one's general encounters in society, one can see through such vacuous statements as "my maw done loved them butterflies so I's gettin' a butterfly tattooed to ma forehead to 'member her by".

You do know that those are TV shows?

You do know that those are TV shows?
    With real people, real tattoos and real "reasons".

And they do their best to give a reason beyond "I done thinks it looks cool!", unlike most of those I encounter in real life. Tribal tattoos on a bunch of milk white paddies and chinese writing take the ****ing biscuit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Not a major fan of them myself and probably wouldnt ever get one, but I dont really care if others have them, thats their choice.

I do think that some people go in at a young age and get them without thinking it through correctly though and the outcome is often pretty bad.

And then there is just the complete retards who get them. I know this one guy who is in his 20's and he wants to get a tattoo of "chinese writing" on his face......................why? "Because it looks deadly"........:rolleyes:

I think you should have a good reason and meaning behind why you got a tattoo.

Ok, on further thought, I'll give credit to those who design their own tattoos by hand. If you can draw well enough to put it on your own body, and draw something that symbolizes something special to yourself, then express your art all you like.

I don't know how many of the lads with dragons, tigers, koi fish, chinese writing, tribal bands or **** about their sports teams, or girls with similar or ponies, dolphins or tramp stamps, this encompasses, I would imagine it's quite few, but I will concede there are a number of genuine artists out there whose medium of expression is their own skin.

Saying you like Koi fish and going and having someone draw you one, or pick it from a book or website, certainly does not cut that mustard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

cocoshovel wrote: »

I think you should have a good reason and meaning behind why you got a tattoo.

See i don't understand why so many people think tattoos have to have a meaning behind them, sure you're probably less likely to regret it if it means something significant, but sometimes a design is just aesthetically pleasing/interesting, no meaning needed. Like people with stars and stuff- one for each child etc.- they're stars, you thought they'll look pretty, no need to try apply any meaning to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I dont have any. I can't associate enough meaning to any word or symbol to get the urge to have it marked upon my supple smooth skin. Seems pointless.

However hot raven chicks carry them well, I'm partial to a tramp stamp for a bit of sexy rough or some italic sh¡te on a wrist looks well on some...as in hot people, looks horrible on everyone else in my opinion.

branbee wrote: »
    See i don't understand why so many people think tattoos have to have a meaning behind them, sure you're probably less likely to regret it if it means something significant, but sometimes a design is just aesthetically pleasing/interesting, no meaning needed. Like people with stars and stuff- one for each child etc.- they're stars, you thought they'll look pretty, no need to try apply any meaning to it!

Thats fine. But I wouldnt get one unless I had a good reason to. i.e My friend got one done in memory of a friend who died.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Yeah i get that, i think its best when it does have meaning behind it but i just hate when people feel like it needs to be meaningful, like they need to justify their tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

there are places both sexes should not tattoo imo, guys most definitely should stay away from belly button and tramp stamps also something like this not a good idea, girls look better without their arms done

i saw some awful tattoos on girls in miami last month, just horrendous stuff like lipstick and perfume bottle tats on lower legs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

chin_grin wrote: »
    Textbook wrong reason to get a tattoo.
    How about because I want one and don't give a f*ck what you or anyone else thinks my reasons for getting it might be. I stopped giving a toss what others think of me around about age 12.

Ok, on further thought, I'll give credit to those who design their own tattoos by hand. If you can draw well enough to put it on your own body, and draw something that symbolizes something special to yourself, then express your art all you like.

I've had all mine designed for me, I knew what design I wanted but am not a competent artist, if I know what painting I wanted on my wall I'd get an artist to design it as if I did it, it would look like a drunk monkey's foot scrawl.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I agree that there doesn't seem to be a lot of sense to generic tattoos... If you can't be original about your own body, don't get a tattoo.
    The only thing worse are chinese characters, or Latin or Hebrew. So many of them do NOT mean what their owners think they do.

Pottler wrote: »
    How about because I want one and don't give a f*ck what you or anyone else thinks my reasons for getting it might be. I stopped giving a toss what others think of me around about age 12.
    Is that why you're thinking of getting a tattoo to "stick it to the PC brigade"? 'Cause you don't care what people think?

Pottler wrote: »

Fight the power! with angst.

Yes, 'cause finding someone's reasoning amusing for something I perceive as stupid is a judge of my worth as a human being.".

So you don't like being judged as a human being? But are ok when doing the judging and 'loling'.

Well, when one watches enough Miami and LA Ink,.".

Judging reality by 'reality TV', right...good stuff..go on.
    ......along with one's general encounters in society, one can see through such vacuous statements as "my maw done loved them butterflies so I's gettin' a butterfly tattooed to ma forehead to 'member her by".

The flow and tone of Irish speech has never been so well captured. We are in your shadow, Sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have six. Just last night by mother was telling how I've ruined my lovely arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I mean, sure you'll defend yourself for it, you've got some randomer's drawings drawn onto your skin that'll cost you thousands to remove. Lol.

Oh and with regards to the Bible, if you're one of those who marked one of the Christian religions down on the census then you're as subject to its teachings as any others that break them. People murdering does not give you an excuse to break what you deem to be the "lesser" of Gods instructions.

Regarding "judging", I'm not a Christian so I will more than happily judge those who claim to be and yet don't abide by its teachings, and even more happily judge people who haven't the decision making skills to see that putting near permanent marks on yourself in the name of something you're into at a particularly point in time is idiotic. Just as Christians judge me to be a godless heathen destined to burn in "hell" all the time ;)

Christians follow the new testament and the gospels. Leviticus is the old testament and most christians dont follow that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

I have Mum loveheart dad on one arm and on the other arm i have a loveheart with an arrow going through it

• Advertisement

Was listening to the radio a few days ago and they were discussing this sort of thing. Loads of people in their late 20's and 30's were ringing in telling of how they regretted getting tattoo's so much as a teen etc because it was now starting to impact on their lives, eg couldnt get a job due to having them or had to always wear long sleeve shirts, even if it was the sort of job that didnt need them.

I should also point out that in Japan tattoo's are seen as a mark of criminality. People with them aren't allowed on some beaches, or allowed in public bathing places like pools or hot springs. Basically, they're frowned upon from what I gathered.

As I said above, I dont really have any problems with people getting them.

Advertisement