Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

1. Sony
    2. Nintendo
    3. Microsoft

Ubisoft was the best though apart from that annoying Toby idiot.

Wait, MS was actually worse than Nintendo? So glad I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I liked it :D:pac: Dancing and karaoke and Mario and Luigi and Pikmin and zombies, its everything I love!

I am the perfect gullible customer!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Similar to last year's details.

Platinum Games game on GT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

danthefan wrote: »
    Wait, MS was actually worse than Nintendo? So glad I missed it.

I'd say that Nintendo was worse, Microsoft had South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd say that Nintendo was worse, Microsoft had South Park.

Aye,that and since Nintendo are launching a new console, they really need to bring the games to sell that console. I saw nothing that made we want to buy a WiiU

• Advertisement

The Platinum Games Wii U title
    http://e3.nintendo.com/games/#/wiiu/projectp-100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

titan18 wrote: »
    Aye,that and since Nintendo are launching a new console, they really need to bring the games to sell that console. I saw nothing that made we want to buy a WiiU

Yeah, but it's easy to sell Mario to kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

deathrider wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's easy to sell Mario to kids.

And people who like good things.

I like Mario, but he's not enough to convince my to buy a console.

As good as Mario games can be, I'm Marioed out at this stage. There's just too much of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hmmm...Pikmin with a hint of Viewtiful Joe-esque insanity...count me in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CastorTroy wrote: »

Looks different, at least. Crowd gathering reminds me of the Last Guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Okami guys back together again , platnium games game looks dope

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Looks different, at least. Crowd gathering reminds me of the Last Guy.
    I thought the same thing. But I figured that Pikmin would be more recognised.

I think the thing to take away from these conferences is not to bother watching them in future and just wait for the videos of what you want to see later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Why do people get excited when they see ANOTHER mario. I mean, are people that fickle. People bitch a lot about COD fatigue, but when I see another Mario game, I want to vomit.

And it's not even the fact that it's another Mario, it's the fact that certain elements of the audience lap it up, like it's some brand new awesome IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Liamario wrote: »
    Why do people get excited when they see ANOTHER mario. I mean, are people that fickle. People bitch a lot about COD fatigue, but when I see another Mario game, I want to vomit.

And it's not even the fact that it's another Mario, it's the fact that certain elements of the audience lap it up, like it's some brand new awesome IP.

I'll let you in on a secret - not only is it the fact that they are pretty much guaranteed to be amazingly well crafted platforming games, but that other people get so flagrantly disgruntled at the very notion of these games existing?
    That is the icing on the cake, the finest nectar.
    It's delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'll let you in on a secret - not only is it the fact that they are pretty much guaranteed to be amazingly well crafted platforming games, but that other people get so flagrantly disgruntled at the very notion of these games existing?
    That is the icing on the cake, the finest nectar.
    It's delicious.

I never said they weren't well crafted platforming games. My issue is that they really aren't that much different from each other.
    Also, isn't Mario games one of the reasons why 3rd parties tend to drop support for nintendo home consoles fairly rapidly. People who have a nintendo console as their main gaming device are quite happy to play mario games ad nauseum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never said they weren't well crafted platforming games. My issue is that they really aren't that much different from each other.

Paper Mario - New Super Mario Bros. - Mario Tennis - Super Mario Galaxy - Mario 3D Land - Mario Kart.

Six more different titles featuring the same character you could not get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Wait what ?

Have you played mario galaxy ? Its one of the finest games ever to exsist. Mario is an establish franchise

Very rarely ya get the same mario game other than mario galaxy 1 and 2
    Paper mario plays alot different than the 2d mario games which alone might aswell be a game on its own.

I think people get confused with a mario game and a nintendo game that has mario name on it for instance mario kart is a genre on its own not nessarily a mario game.

True mario game doesnt come along that often on nintendo console, usually one or 2

No different from every other company out their , microsoft releasing 4 halo titles for 360. Sony releasing 3 uncharted games in 5 years

My point is mario is an iconic figure and mascot for gaming always has being , not every mario game plays the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Unfortunate username you've got there so. :p

I'm not a fan of rehashes in general but the Mario platforming games are mostly excellent (except for that average DS one) so I've no problem with Nintendo bringing out new versions when they play so well.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Unfortunate username you've got there so. :p

I'm not a fan of rehashes in general but the Mario platforming games are mostly excellent (except for that average DS one) so I've no problem with Nintendo bringing out new versions when they play so well.

Which DS one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

New Super Mario DS I presume, although Mario 64 DS was poor as well but that was more a bad port of a great game. NSMB DS was good but lacked the variety between levels and the level design was a bit lackluster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

deathrider wrote: »
    Which DS one?

New Super Mario Bros DS, didn't think it was all that great. The Wii game of the same name was cool though.

I thought New Super Mario Bros. was fantastic stuff.

Tank! Tank! Tank! trailer:

Looks like it knows exactly what it is and runs with it. Earth Defence Force vibe from it.

Paper Mario - New Super Mario Bros. - Mario Tennis - Super Mario Galaxy - Mario 3D Land - Mario Kart.

Six more different titles featuring the same character you could not get.

Bar Mario Kart, which is pretty cool, and I havent played Mario Tennis or Mario 3D land, the others whilst good, can be pretty similar. I mean people complain there's too much FPS on Xbox or even PS3, but you could say the same in regards platform games on Nintendo.

Imo, it's too much Mario, and to a lesser extent Zelda. A lot of Mario games are very similar, a lot of Zelda games are too tbh. They may be good, but wheres the variety

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Don't get me wrong, New super mario is great but we've seen it before. This is very samey.

I love mario. But i was bitterly disappointed that we didn't see a new 3d mario. Something different akin to Galaxy. No new mario game and no new zelda. No new metroid. No new starfox. I won't pick one up on launch if the games aren't there.....and I already have an xbox and ps3 so don't need it for cross platform games.

I would only get it for exclusives. And at the moment, it doesn't have many. Pikmin is the only launch title looking like a must buy. I adore pikmin but I can wait. The machine needs more than that.

titan18 wrote: »
    Bar Mario Kart, which is pretty cool, and I havent played Mario Tennis or Mario 3D land, the others whilst good, can be pretty similar. I mean people complain there's too much FPS on Xbox or even PS3, but you could say the same in regards platform games on Nintendo.

Imo, it's too much Mario, and to a lesser extent Zelda. A lot of Mario games are very similar, a lot of Zelda games are too tbh. They may be good, but wheres the variety

I'm not saying that Mario as a character hasn't been overused in some cases, but do you honestly think Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario (which, we have to remember, is a JPRG with some platformer / adventure game elements) and New Super Mario Bros. are in anyway similar bar the presence of the main character and other various franchise references :confused: There's not a single franchise out there that continually justifies its existence by releasing creatively varied and ambitious titles.

To me, that's kind of like saying System Shock 2, Call of Duty: MW and Bulletstorm are all pretty similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm not saying that Mario as a character hasn't been overused in some cases, but do you honestly think Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario (which, we have to remember, is a JPRG with some platformer / adventure game elements) and New Super Mario Bros. are in anyway similar bar the presence of the main character and other various franchise references :confused:

To me, that's kind of like saying System Shock 2, Call of Duty: MW and Bulletstorm are all pretty similar.

Obviously mario kart is hugely different from NSMB. One is a racing game and the other is a platformer. The only thing they have in common is the character. Thats not what he is saying.

What he is saying is, and many journo's have said it also in the last few hours, is that New super mario has been done. They are rehashing it with two new versions. One on the DS and one on the Wii-U. It's the same stuff we have seen before.

What we needed a was a new and different mario game. One with a concept we haven't seen before. Not an extension of an old one. Take the difference between Mario 64, Mario sunshine, and Mario galaxy. Big differences. The difference between NSMB wii and NSMB wii-u? Um....not so much.

Advertisement