Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time To End Internment - Release Marian Price and Martin Corey

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

I would have thought when it came to issueing threats, that the threat of " terrible and immediate war " in certain treaty negotiations would be more relevant to matters in Ireland ? Looks like the Dissos are only copying the British eh :)

Regardless, Price and co. will be let out as the whole conjured scenario isn't snowballing against SF as the Brits and unionists would like.

Why would Unionists want the 'whole conjured scenario' to snowball against SF? In case you haven't noticed Unionists are actually administrating NI with SF as per The Belfast Agreement - an agreement designed by 'The Brits' and fulfilling The UK State's ambitions for NI since 1972.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

in death she'll be a more powerful enemy than ever.

A nordie Obi-Wan Kenobi, if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Sounds very much like the Brendan Lillis defense, its a wonder the Vatican hasn't got involved with the number of miracle recovers of "at deaths door republicans" after they got released from jail. How is Brendan these days? The daily updates on his health on here suddenly dried up the moment he got out.

I wondered about that as well, it's a bit like that poor wee soul Pinochet.

Released from prison due to 'poor health', first thing he does when back home is get out of his wheelchair.

If she is really in such bad shape I'm sure the British would let her go home.

Somehow I doubt she is though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I wondered about that as well, it's a bit like that poor wee soul Pinochet.

Released from prison due to 'poor health', first thing he does when back home is get out of his wheelchair.

If she is really in such bad shape I'm sure the British would let her go home.

Somehow I doubt she is though.
    Lillis had to be moved prison before his release to Belfast City hospital due to his severe medical problems. His movement and relaease was supported by the SDLP and Sinn Fein. Like Price, Lillis was in prison on allegations and nothing else. If people were to be put into prison in the north on allegations alone, then half the RUC and DUP including former leading member of Ulster Resistance Peter Robinson should be locked up immediately.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0809/lillisb.html

( A bit off topic, but since you mentioned Pinochet, personally I'd have him and Thatcher in prison and would throw the key away, birds of a feather)
    thatcherpinochetPA_228x272.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Lillis had to be moved prison before his release to Belfast City hospital due to his severe medical problems. His movement and relaease was supported by the SDLP and Sinn Fein. Like Price, Lillis was in prison on allegations and nothing else. If people were to be put into prison in the north on allegations alone, then half the RUC and DUP including former leading member of Ulster Resistance Peter Robinson should be locked up immediately.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0809/lillisb.html

( A bit off topic, but since you mentioned Pinochet, personally I'd have him and Thatcher in prison and would throw the key away, birds of a feather)
    thatcherpinochetPA_228x272.jpg

None of that really addressed Lillis' miracle recovery? Allegations? She broke the terms of her release license. It is not an allegation that she attended a dissident rally and supported hate speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

http://republican.ie/forum/index.php?/topic/85137-brendan-lillis/

From March 28th
    In case that link goes dead
    What is the health situation now with brendan lillis?? i dont believe ive heard any interviews with him about the abuse he suffered in maghaberry and was rather curious.

as someone who took part in the "free brendan lills" campaign i would now hope he is living pain free, i was going to private message his partner but she seems to have removed everyone but a few from her facebook now that the campaign has ended with brendan getting released.
    The last I heard from roisin he was in the hospital and it was going to take quite a while for him to get better but that there was nothing life threatening anymore. Several months comes to mind for some reason but I could be wrong.
    He is at home now but am not sure of his current condition
    He is much stronger and doing ok.

Nice touch dumping everyone off Facebook.
    Prison: it makes republicans sick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

None of that really addressed Lillis' miracle recovery? Allegations? She broke the terms of her release license. It is not an allegation that she attended a dissident rally and supported hate speech.
    Well since I don't believe in supernatural powers I don't believe that Lillis had a " miracle recovery " though I would imagine that been released form prison would improve anyone's health. And I'd doubt if the medical or prison authorites and the SDLP would have supported his release without good reason and he's hardly joined a boxing or weightlifting club or something since gettin out. As for Price attending a dissident rally and hate speeches, if that is the case then anyone attending an orange order march or gathering should be locked up immediately wouldn't you agree.
    http://republican.ie/forum/index.php?/topic/85137-brendan-lillis/

From March 28th
    In case that link goes dead

Nice touch dumping everyone off Facebook.
    Prison: it makes republicans sick
    Some guys on Facebook claim they have dated Miss World etc, not exactly a credible source.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As for Price attending a dissident rally and hate speeches, if that is the case then anyone attending an orange order march or gathering should be locked up immediately wouldn't you agree.

If they were released on license and told not to attend Orange Order marches, then, well, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Who would have thought that in 2012, there would once again be a protest in one of Northern Ireland’s prisons that mirrors the hunger strikes back in the 1980s? Who would have believed that, for the second time in her life, Marian Price, convicted of IRA bombings in London in the 1970s, would find herself the only female prisoner in an all-male jail, simply because there’s no high-security facility for female prisoners in Northern Ireland? Who would have believed that the Police Ombudsman would be forced to resign over his lack of independence?
    Who would have expected the government to ditch the Bill of Rights that was promised in the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement to reflect the particular needs of Northern Ireland as it moved from conflict to an uneasy peace? Who would have dreamed that the groundbreaking police Historical Enquiries Team, which is looking at unsolved murders arising out of the conflict, would end up having to refer viable cases back to the very police service it was investigating? Who would have foreseen that, having set up at considerable public expense a Consultative Group on the Past, the government would simply bury its recommendations virtually without a trace?
    And, finally, who could have imagined that U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron would summon the family of Patrick Finucane, a lawyer murdered in 1989 with the involvement of military intelligence, the police, and the intelligence service MI5, only to tell them that he would not give them the inquiry public opinion believes they deserve?
    The situation in Northern Ireland may seem like chicken feed when compared with the problems in many other countries, but Northern Ireland has many lessons for the rest of the world about dealing with counterterrorism, unfortunately most of them negative. It’s a tragedy that the British army, while deployed in Iraq, is accused of using the same techniques of torture and ill-treatment that it developed during internment without trial in Northern Ireland during the 1970s. This despite promises to the U.K. Parliament and to the European Court of Human Rights that those methods would never be used again

http://i47.tinypic.com/152fa55.jpg%5B/IMG%5D fromm CNN world.

Intresting read and one that people should take note of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

realies wrote: »
    Who would have thought that in 2012...

Just last week it was reported that that 33 PSNI officers were suspended in a year for a range of offences from death threats to assault.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19145119

Irish history runs in cycles we are at the same stage now as during the border campaign and the early 20th century.
    Until we are free the cycle won't be broken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

realies wrote: »
    Who would have thought that in 2012, there would once again be a protest in one of Northern Ireland’s prisons that mirrors the hunger strikes back in the 1980s? Who would have believed that, for the second time in her life, Marian Price, convicted of IRA bombings in London in the 1970s, would find herself the only female prisoner in an all-male jail, simply because there’s no high-security facility for female prisoners in Northern Ireland? Who would have believed that the Police Ombudsman would be forced to resign over his lack of independence?
    Who would have expected the government to ditch the Bill of Rights that was promised in the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement to reflect the particular needs of Northern Ireland as it moved from conflict to an uneasy peace? Who would have dreamed that the groundbreaking police Historical Enquiries Team, which is looking at unsolved murders arising out of the conflict, would end up having to refer viable cases back to the very police service it was investigating? Who would have foreseen that, having set up at considerable public expense a Consultative Group on the Past, the government would simply bury its recommendations virtually without a trace?
    And, finally, who could have imagined that U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron would summon the family of Patrick Finucane, a lawyer murdered in 1989 with the involvement of military intelligence, the police, and the intelligence service MI5, only to tell them that he would not give them the inquiry public opinion believes they deserve?
    The situation in Northern Ireland may seem like chicken feed when compared with the problems in many other countries, but Northern Ireland has many lessons for the rest of the world about dealing with counterterrorism, unfortunately most of them negative. It’s a tragedy that the British army, while deployed in Iraq, is accused of using the same techniques of torture and ill-treatment that it developed during internment without trial in Northern Ireland during the 1970s. This despite promises to the U.K. Parliament and to the European Court of Human Rights that those methods would never be used again

http://i47.tinypic.com/152fa55.jpg%5B/IMG%5D fromm CNN world.

Intresting read and one that people should take note of.
    Could you fix the link please? You've linked a picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Could you fix the link please? You've linked a picture

:o:o Sorry :o

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/06/so-they-think-its-all-over-in-northern-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

304651_409834729073499_1648995196_n.jpg

The campaign is continuing to gather momentum and gain further attention.

Here is Nobel Peace prize recipient Mairead Maguire's (founded the Peace People) open letter:
    The following is an OPEN LETTER from Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead Maguire to British Secreatary of State for Northern Ireland, Mr Owen Paterson:

Dear Mr.Paterson,

CALL FOR THE IMMEDIATE RELEASE ON HEALTH, HUMANITARIAN, AND JUSTICE GROUNDS OF MARIAN PRICE.

I write to you regarding the continued immoral and illegal internment of Marian Price. As you are well aware Marian has spent over fourteen months, in prison, twelve of which were spent in forced isolation, and she is at present seriously ill and held under armed guard in an isolated hospital ward.

This treatment is cruel and inhumane and amounts to torture as the words of the UN Special Rapporteur Juan Mendez on torture states: “indefinite and prolonged solitary confinement in excess of 15 days should be subject to an absolute prohibition”.

The illegal detention of Marian Price for political offences committed nearly forty years ago, and for which she was pardoned, is a serious violation of her human rights, a blank disregard for due process and a violation of our ‘the Good Friday Agreement’.

Unanimous medical opinions confirm Marian Price is unable to participate in any legal Proceedings due to her rapidly deteriorating health and as this is the case, and also in the interests of truth and justice, I write to request that this seriously ill women be released immediately to her family.

Yours sincerely,

Mairead Maguire
    13th August, 2012

Yesterday Marian was taken to the nearby Musgrave hospital, an order was sent from
    Hydebank prison to have her handcuffed. Marian was then double handcuffed and then
    handcuffed to a prison officer even during the ambulance journey. The medical staff
    intervened and said no but their advice was ignored. This should not have happened
    due to the serious nature of Marian's health and as she has an artificial wrist/ joint.
    There is no justification for this inhumane and degrading treatment.
    Today August 18th Marian Price was taken for an endoscopy and lung wash, two very intrusive procedures that required her to be given a general anesthetic. On her way to and from the operating theater she wasagain handcuffed .

During the operation a prison officer was present against the wishes of the
    health care staff. These instructions came from Hydebank Prison. Human rights groups are appalled at this inhumane and degrading treatment. This is clearly torture on top of torture. Please email your disgust to these addresses. patersono@parliament.uk

martin.mcguinness.mp@parliament.uk.

southantrim@davidford.org

For further information visit www.freemarian.co.nr Please share far and wide.

This case is yet another example of where peaceful means are failing. Who would argue if Colin Duffy had been freed from prison by force? And Marian Price now too.
    When the peaceful root is taken away and political agreements are ignored how do they expect republicans to honour their side of the GFA.

This case is yet another example of where peaceful means are failing. Who would argue if Colin Duffy had been freed from prison by force? And Marian Price now too.
    When the peaceful root is taken away and political agreements are ignored how do they expect republicans to honour their side of the GFA.

They didn't - remember Omagh? RIRA wasn't it?

whitelines wrote: »
    They didn't - remember Omagh? RIRA wasn't it?

RIRA were not part of the GFA. They split from the provos a year before in objection to the peace process' failings.

RIRA were not part of the GFA. They split from the provos a year before in objection to the peace process' failings.

You said Republicans - without qualification.

whitelines wrote: »
    You said Republicans - without qualification.

You don't need me to explain who are pro and anti GFA republicans. It would be totally disrespectful to get into silly arguments here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Can you pit your hand on your heart, swear on your mothers life and tell me that Marianne process and Colin Duffy ate commited to the peace process?

• Advertisement

Can you pit your hand on your heart, swear on your mothers life and tell me that Marianne process and Colin Duffy ate commited to the peace process?

Actually neither of them signed any agreement with the British government. What I am talking about is people who dont agree with Price or Duffy but see the injustice happening and how democratic means are failing. Duffy's release came months after the UN demanded it happen.
    Price and Duffy would argue that the SF route isn't going anywhere, I can certainly see progress being slowed when internment is effectively still being used in the North.

EDIT: was it the European Court of Justice? I'm not sure... its too late to be sure!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Actually neither of them signed any agreement with the British government. What I am talking about is people who dont agree with Price or Duffy but see the injustice happening and how democratic means are failing. Duffy's release came months after the UN demanded it happen.
    Price and Duffy would argue that the SF route isn't going anywhere, I can certainly see progress being slowed when internment is effectively still being used in the North.

EDIT: was it the European Court of Justice? I'm not sure... its too late to be sure!

Come on, you know as well as the rest of us she wants the carnage to start again. And the thing that counts is the Goverment knows that too. She can stay in jail untill she dies if that what is needed.

getzls wrote: »
    Come on, you know as well as the rest of us she wants the carnage to start again. And the thing that counts is the Goverment knows that too. She can stay in jail untill she dies if that what is needed.

... if that's what's needed for the carnage to start again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

... if that's what's needed for the carnage to start again?

It won't. Even if she dies. Riots etc, yes. She won't be missed. Will you sing the old songs about her? Sister of Ireland etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't really see a purpose to this thread much more other than sporadic updates to the cases involved, more a blog discussion that anything else. I doubt mainstream political parties would get the same latitude.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement