Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time To End Internment - Release Marian Price and Martin Corey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

There is no law against attending a dissident republican rally.

So? You've already been asked why you think she had to break a law. The benefits of early release were contingent on the affiliations of the prisoners. It said that the situation in that regard would be kept under review. Her presence at the rally while not breaking any laws established an affiliation with dissidents - that is enough to have her licence revoked. She really should've been more careful about who she chose to hang around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

So? You've already been asked why you think she had to break a law. The benefits of early release were contingent on the affiliations of the prisoners. It said that the situation in that regard would be kept under review. Her presence at the rally while not breaking any laws established an affiliation with dissidents - that is enough to have her licence revoked. She really should've been more careful about who she chose to hang around with.
    2. Prisoners affiliated to organisations which have not established or are
    not maintaining a complete and unequivocal ceasefire will not benefit
    from the arrangements. The situation in this regard will be kept under
    review.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/07_12_04_ni_agreement_03.pdf

In this context under review means that when the following:
    Four paramilitary groups, the Continuity IRA, the Real IRA, the Red Hand Defenders and the Orange Volunteers, are not eligible for the prisoner release scheme because they were not on ceasefire at the time of the Agreement.
    are on ceasefire their situation will be reviewed and release considered.

It does not mean that a former PIRA prisoner can be sent back to prison should they drop support for SF strategy.
    There were a few anomalies, several prisoners under the PIRA prisoner umbrella were not included in the original agreement for several reasons. To clear this up they were granted royal pardons and released that way.

She was released on licence. Although she received an RPM this is related to her 20 year sentence and not the life sentences. It makes no sense why it would relate to all her convictions. Media stories and private communications at the time of her release make it quite clear it was conditional on her behaviour
    The panel found that Paterson’s view was correct, that while the balance of Price’s 20-year sentence was remitted, her release from the life sentences was conditional on future behaviour. They cite a letter dated April 30th, 1980 – the day Price was released – from the private secretary to the Secretary of State to the private secretary to the Queen: “Her (McGlinchey’s) release involves release from the life sentence which means that she will always remain liable to be recalled to prison if her behaviour justifies this step.”

The commissioners supported this view with a quote from an Irish Times news story on May 1st, 1980: “The official announcement explained that the release was ‘on licence’, meaning that Price could be recalled at any time.” The panel goes on to note, however, that the Royal Prerogative of Mercy was issued “sometime very shortly after her release . . . although the precise date is uncertain.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Why do you think she needs to break the law to have her licence revoked?

From the text of the GFA

She was affiliating with balaclava-clad dissidents that were threatening to kill police. Her situation was obviously reviewed and it was decided she should not benefit from the arrangements of early release. Keep her in.
    Agree. That is all there should be to it. She decided to get involved with IRA terrorists and hold a piece of paper which threatened to kill police officers. What does that and her defenders not understand?

How can anyone possibly defend such thuggish behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Agree. That is all there should be to it. She decided to get involved with IRA terrorists and hold a piece of paper which threatened to kill police officers. What does that and her defenders not understand?

Totally and absolutley agree, she is on a life licience, she had her chance, she should be kept in now, in her case life must mean life.

• Advertisement

And she wasn't just a naive passerby asked to help out by holding the paper on the windy day as she took a stroll through the cemetery. She's secretary of the 32csm, the 'political' wing of RIRA - she quite surely agrees with the sentiment of the speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

There is no law against attending a dissident republican rally. A judge already accepted that she could not have known what was on the paper. That was thrown out of court and before she was released they decided to hold her for Massareene... Colin Duffy saga all over again.

If they go back to ignoring all legal procedures we all know where things are headed. History set a clear precedent for that.

Out of curiosity if a convicted Loyalist terrorist continually associated with paramilitary groups would you find it ok that they're still walking the streets?

RMD wrote: »
    Out of curiosity if a convicted Loyalist terrorist continually associated with paramilitary groups would you find it ok that they're still walking the streets?

Right now there are paramilitary flags up in many town centres that the police are afraid to touch. If they did pull down someone from a ladder and find that he was on license so sent him back to prison for another few years that would be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

What do you mean by associate?

If there is enough evidence to warrant proceedings over alleged membership then they can be dealt with that way.

If however they have committed no crimes then they should be left alone.

Politicians should not have the power to imprison people on a whim, no matter who they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

What do you mean by associate?

If there is enough evidence to warrant proceedings over alleged membership then they can be dealt with that way.

If however they have committed no crimes then they should be left alone.

Politicians should not have the power to imprison people on a whim, no matter who they are.
    Are you serious?

She was holding a piece of paper which was read out by a IRA terrorist threatening to murder police officers. Marian Price got out of bed that morning and KNEW she was going to go and meet IRA terrorists talking about using terror.

She knew all this and she got caught out. Stop defending it and just accept it.

• Advertisement

She went to a commemoration and held a sheet.

She committed no crime and the charges were dismissed.

You seem to think that attending commemorations like that one warrants being jailed... thats internment

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You seem to think that attending commemorations like that one warrants being jailed... thats internment

If you're released on license for another crime you were committed of and told not to hold a sheet at a commemoration, then she does warrant being jailed.

Good to hear that the campaign is gathering momentum, I understand Dublin City Council unanimously supported a motion calling for her release a few days ago.

Good to hear that the campaign is gathering momentum, I understand Dublin City Council unanimously supported a motion calling for her release a few days ago.

Fair play to them. Its the support coming from other parties that will bring down internment this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Did she think the guy was wearing a mask to hid his bad acne? Really, i think people who want her out are eager for her to get her-self back into the murder business again.

getzls wrote: »
    Did she think the guy was wearing a mask to hid his bad acne? Really, i think people who want her out are eager for her to get her-self back into the murder business again.
    If thats what you "think" maybe you shouldn't share your thoughts, unless you want to embarrass yourself that is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

If thats what you "think" maybe you shouldn't share your thoughts, unless you want to embarrass yourself that is.

Can't see any other real reason. She was a terrorist and still is imo.

getzls wrote: »
    Can't see any other real reason. She was a terrorist and still is imo.
    Willful blindness I see...

Willful blindness I see...

So what is she then? A convicted terrorist released on license who still associates with dissident Republican terrorists sounds quite right.

So what is she then? A convicted terrorist released on license who still associates with dissident Republican terrorists sounds quite right.
    Everyone who wants her released supports the RIRA etc you say?

• Advertisement

Everyone who wants her released supports the RIRA etc you say?

Didn't say anything of the sort, care to point out where I did? I said she's a convicted terrorist who still associates with dissident Republican terrorists as demonstrated by the Easter commemoration.

I asked you what is she since you claim stating she was and still currently is a terrorist is "wilful blindness". How in anyway does that make a blanket claim of all her release supporters being RIRA supporters also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bonus_Pack

What? f that's true, then Dublin City Council are an absolute disgrace. How could they call for the release of a known terrorist who shows no remorse whatsoever.

Bonus_Pack wrote: »
    What? f that's true, then Dublin City Council are an absolute disgrace. How could they call for the release of a known terrorist who shows no remorse whatsoever.
    That Dublin City Council calls for the release of Marian Price on health and humanitarian grounds and requests an explanation for the incarceration of Marian Price from the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Minister for Justice in Northern Ireland and First and Deputy First Ministers in Northern Ireland.
    That was the motion, supported by all parties.

Well you see, you dont have to agree with someones politics to see that they are suffering an injustice... only people you agree with should have due process and justice? Hardly.

Well done to Dublin City Council, I hope other councils pass similar motions.

I should point out that seen as DCC passed it it HAS to be debated/voted on by all CCs in the 26.. at least that's my understanding

That Dublin City Council calls for the release of Marian Price on health and humanitarian grounds and requests an explanation for the incarceration of Marian Price from the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Minister for Justice in Northern Ireland and First and Deputy First Ministers in Northern Ireland

Her behaviour in prison is likely causing her ill-health.

As for an explanation, please don't bother the minister with such rubbish

She was knowingly associating with dissident terrorists who threatened the people of this island, hence she broke the terms of her licence.

Her behaviour in prison is likely causing her ill-health.

As for an explanation, please don't bother the minister with such rubbish

She was knowingly associating with dissident terrorists who threatened the people of this island, hence she broke the terms of her licence.
    What do you mean by her behavior in prison is causing her ill health?

She isn't on protest or anything (as I stated already) and has behaved excellently by all accounts. Besides, she is in hospital now.

I think it likely that the prison conditions, being isolated in what essentially was solitary confinement (only female in a male prison, alone on the wing) coupled with a lack of adequate medical attention exasperated her many underlying medical conditions.

You seem quite flustered that DCC have called for her release... only a matter of time now I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bonus_Pack

That was the motion, supported by all parties.

Well you see, you dont have to agree with someones politics to see that they are suffering an injustice... only people you agree with should have due process and justice? Hardly.

Well done to Dublin City Council, I hope other councils pass similar motions.

I understand your POV to a certain extent but it is not a simple as that. If it were a citizen of the republic who were incarcerated for a non-terrorism related crime I would understand but in this case the person is a convicted terrorist incarcerated and for the southern government to be calling for her release, for what ever reason, will be seen by many as defacto support for Republicanism. I certainly see it that way.

Plus, basically every left wing nutjob organisation calling for her release is more or less a supporter of republicans.

I detest her, her kind and her cause.

As for her health, it is likely the cause of her behaviour. I have been told that she is smearing shíte and menstrual blood on the walls. Thats bound to cause health issues. This sort of behaviour (and the 1981 Bobby Sands et al. episode) plays right into the hands of loyalists who wish to brand ethnic Irish people as barbarous uncivilised savages.

What do you mean by her behavior in prison is causing her ill health?

She isn't on protest or anything (as I stated already) and has behaved excellently by all accounts. Besides, she is in hospital now.

I think it likely that the prison conditions, being isolated in what essentially was solitary confinement (only female in a male prison, alone on the wing) coupled with a lack of adequate medical attention exasperated her many underlying medical conditions.

Didn't she refuse to be moved to a female prison? So her behaviour. Can you comment on her personal hygeine, her eating behaviour, her exercise regime, her reading and keeping her mind active? There are lots of ways you can let yourself go without explicitly being on a protest. What exactly is her medical condition? Is it an actual biological illness/condition?
    You seem quite flustered that DCC have called for her release... only a matter of time now I feel.

DCC shouldn't support terrorists or terrorist sympathisers.

She suffered greatly while she was in prison in England, on hungerstrike... it has had lasting effects

• Advertisement

She suffered greatly while she was in prison in England, on hungerstrike... it has had lasting effects

Does she have an actual biological medical condition? And it was her that refused to be moved to a female prison
    past moves made on medical grounds have proved detrimental to, and even exacerbated, Marian's complex medical conditions.

source

Are they so complex they don't have a name?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement