Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Thread

Options
  • 11-05-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

No Tampa Bay thread so said i'd start one for the very limited amount of us in Ireland :D

Bad news with Da'Quan Bowers getting injured and will probably miss the most of the season if not all. Really thought he'd have a big year so sad to see.

I see we waivered Jordan Johnson too after some good reports from camp of him. I know he's facing legal issues for bar fight so that might be something to do with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Hmm, Im not sure about Bowers' injury.

Apparently the surgery went well so he might not miss much game time at all.

Good to see another Bucs fan around!

Predictions for the coming season.

I'd be happy if we stay competative this year, and get 7-8 wins.
    I can't see us going to the playoffs unfortunatly, though if Freeman, Jackson, Williams, Blount and Martin combine on Offence then we could beat anyone in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

I'm exactly like you, i think 8 wins and i'd be happy. Had high expectations last year so learned form that.

We've improved the team so much, Nicks and jackson are fantastic pick ups, i'll hold judgement on Wright.

Dominick did a fantastic job in the draft, although dissapointed at first we missed out on Claibourne it ended up better than i could have hoped with players drafted who should fit straight into starting team.

What is important is having players having to fight for that starting spot so they don't get too comfortable.

Heard Freeman is in great shape and down 18 pounds or something.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8293bb10/article/kellen-winslow-i-wont-be-back-with-buccaneers?module=HP11_headline_stack

Kellen Winslow is on the way out.

While he still could be traded, the likelyhood is that teams will wait for him to be cut and pounce then. He was Ranked 7th in the NFL in TE receptions last year, and 13 in TE Yards, but 32nd in Touchdowns. He wasn't productive where it mattered, and had a shít work ethic from what I hear. Schiano is cleaning up shop. However this leaves us very very short at TE, one of the more pivital positions in todays NFL.

Dallas Clarke worked out in Tampa last week, so Schiano must be pretty sure of getting him, if he's willing to drop KW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Clarke signed earlier!

Hmm, Im liking Tampa's options on Offence now. Could do with another TE, but still with Martin and Blount carrying from HB, Clarke catching at TE, Jackson, Williams, Benn, Parker, Briscoe at WR. We might actually score next year!

Also Freeman is looking seriously slimmed down, and has lost 20lbs. He says it doesn't make him feel any faster, but it will help him move, and help him with his stamina anyway.

Building an offence through FA, and a Defence through the draft seems like a nice way to go. Still worried about our CB's. If Talib isn't around we're screwed!

Ronde and Barron will be fine at Saftey. But Im not so sure about Wright, and our other bunch of CB's who were burned last year.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Ronde and Barron will be fine at Saftey. But Im not so sure about Wright, and our other bunch of CB's who were burned last year.

Do you think Ronde will play safety ahead of Cody Grim, This lad is a great player in the making in my opinion, horrible luck with injury though.

I say Ronde is just cover for that position and won't start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

DDC1990 wrote: »

Just thought I'd let you know about Wright who was with the Lions last season. He played very well at the start of the year but injuries started taking their toll (along with the whole secondary) & he had to play hampered towards the end of the season where the Lions defence was torched in Green Bay & New Orleans.
    If he can stay healthy for ye, he should be a decent corner & may win the spot opposite Talib.
    Hmm, Im not sure about Bowers' injury.

Apparently the surgery went well so he might not miss much game time at all.

On Bowers, didn't he suffer an achilles injury. If he did there is no way he'll see the field this year. They take 9 to 12 months to heal

Yeah the jury is out on Wright, hopefully he adds something to the team though.

Agree about Bowers, won't see him until Novemeber at least i reckon.

Well all charges dropped against Talib, have to wait and see if Godell takes any action but good news for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Not a good one for Buc's fans here. Brian Price beat the bejesus out of Mark Barron in a meeting room. Price's personal problems sighted as the reason for the altercation.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

• Advertisement

Brian price traded yesterday and Briscoe released.

There really is no messing about with Schiano

Yeah, disappointed with those two moves as both have great potential, especially Briscoe.

But it shows that of you don't follow the Buccaneer way, then Schiano is happy to leave you go, no matter who you are.

Apparently Price could only do 4 of 16 110 Yard sprints in a conditioning session.

Very happy with that last night, Blount and Martin working well together. Great catch by Underwood too for the big play doing his chances of a roster spot no harm.

On an even better note got my tickets to Bucs and Chargers for November. Football is back baby.. Whooooooooooooooooo

Good Times :D

Good performances all round. Who would have thought our defence would stop the run like that after last years two maulings by the Panthers.

Freeman moved the ball well and was very impressed with Doug Martin.

Hats off to the Defence too, job well done.

Freeman was great for the first half, but couldn't get anything going in the second.

Carolina stepped up their game big time, and shut us down offensively.

Luckily our Defence stood up (apart from their TD play) and Special teams had a great game.

Martin looks promising, but could have done with Blount being out there to help him out, but the injury scuppered that. Hope its not too bad.

OLine had a great first half, but you could see what a loss Joseph is. Where normally you could rotate, and keep guys fresh, they got tired in the second half and committed errors and penalties.

All in all, a great start, not only a Win, but a divisional win!

Still a bit shocked we threw away a 14 point lead.

500 passing yds for ELI, thats terrible defence there, too many blitzes.

Still a great game, roll on next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Was devastated for you guys. Thought u had them. Like many have said pass D, wow.

How do you feel about Vincent Jackson?

Thought Jackson had a great game, some of the catches h emade were excellent.

Nice for Freeman to have a weapaon like him,

Gutted obviously.

We let them off the hook.

Vital calls went against us, but much of that was out own doing.

Keep watching the Williams "drop" at the end when he was hit.

We really had a chance if that was let go.

Coaches must take the blame. we were trying to kill the clock from the start of the third, when Freeman was shredding the secondary. Should have kept up the passing game, because they had our number on the ground. Easy to say i hindsight I suppose :(

Blount not being used is really confusing. Use him or trade him. I don't see why we'd have a guy who has the potential to got 700+ yards sitting on the bench. When using Martin on the ground wasn't working, why not used Blount!

Talib had a shocker. Wright getting unjured cost us as well, as McDonald was beat too many times. Really don't know what to think about Barron. seems to go missing in coverage quite a bit. Ronde got caught deep for the 80 yarder. Secondary had a shocker in General.

Love our OLine. Had a great game. DLine was pushed around a bit, and could never get to Eli. Really like our Linebackers this year. David is a beast. Hayward is stepping up, and Mason Foster looks a lot better then last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Have to say the team looks improved but the Buccs look like on of the dirtiest teams in the league, and it wasn't just the Eli play. I was not impressed with Mark Barron's helmet to helmet on Steve Smith in week one.

• Advertisement

Didn't see the Eli late hit, but sounds really stupid, from a DLine, who played well only to see the DB's get beat up. Which player was it?

As for the Helmet to Helmet hit, take another look, he lowers the shoulder.

EDIT: After seeing another clip of it, the Helmets do make contact, but its after the shoulder. Its definitly not intentional.

I think the Bucs have been really disciplined and far from Dirty.

Watch the Rams and the Redskins from yesterday, and either of those are dirtier.

Lions, Titus Young headbutted a player.

Miami, Incognito tried to twist a players ankle and the Texan kicked him back.

I think the Bucs are far from the leagues dirtiest team, but thats just my opinion.

P.S: The dirtiest play that I saw yesterday, was a Helmet to Helmet launch on Vincent Jackson from the Giants, which wasn't called. Giants ended up getting an INT from the next play and went on to win the game from there. Huge call that influenced the games outcome.

The helmet definitely hits the helmet. To be honest I think the Rams play dirty too, especially with Cortland Finnegan in there. Right now there's no respect for the replacement officials and everyone's going dirty, but I think the Buccs are one of the worst offenders.

matthew8 wrote: »
    The helmet definitely hits the helmet. To be honest I think the Rams play dirty too, especially with Cortland Finnegan in there. Right now there's no respect for the replacement officials and everyone's going dirty, but I think the Buccs are one of the worst offenders.
    I watched a clip of the rush on the kneel down. It seems to have been blown a bit out of proportion, but I agree it was out of line. Schiano wants them to play every down. If Eli fumbles that and the Bucs recover, then there is a chance to win the game. Why give up? Thats his attitude.

I think its ungentlemanly personally, and I would just leave the kneel down go, and take the loss. But Schiano is thinking differently.

As for the helmet to Helmet hit. You don't need me to tell you, its not an issue if the Helmets touch. the issue is with a tackle being made, where the Defender launches with his helmet into the helmet of the other reciever.

What was bad, was Mason Foster's hit on Hixon in the first half. He launched at Hixon on his way down and ended up putting him out of the game. That was dirty. But I don't believe Barron's play was. It was just a big hit, where the helmets hit off each other.

I actually support Schiano on the kneel situation, I don't know why there's some god given right to let the other team win. If they were losing by 2 scores it would've been different, but something strikes me about the way the Buccaneers tackle. Interesting to see what it'll be like when the real officials are back though. Absolutely filthy week of NFL.

Fair enough.

I'll take dirty though.

If you saw the way the Bucs "tackled" all last year, you would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I think the rush on th qb kneel was a bit of a cheap shot! Could have been some serious damage done if the centre falls backward on to eli's ankle!

Having said that I think o-line men across the league won't be taking any chances in the foreseeable future!

I'm puzzled as to why Blount is not getting more carries, is he doing that bad in training or whats going on??

I'm more perplexed as to why the OC keeps calling run plays every single first and second down. Its so obvious what we are going to do and its hurting us. Bad refereeing led us to lose out on an Eric Wright TD from the fumble. We didn't deserve to win, win an offence as flaccid as that. Freeman is always left with
    3rd and long situations, which the defence can read easily. Martin is good, but when a team knows you are running on the first 2 downs, there is only so much damage you can do.

Its no shame to be 1-2 with the schedule that they have, but we could be 3-0 with a bit more luck and a bit more composure, which is annoying. Still Saints and Panthers are struggling a bit as well, so the NFC South is still up for grabs. Atlanta need to be stopped though, and look really good ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 villacud

I'm heading to Florida on a holiday next month and have brought 4 tickets for the Bucs v Chargers game.
    Never been to an NFL game before
    The game has a 1pm kick off, I was wondering how early should we arrive, what parking is like and atmosphere (in family area no alcohol or profanity) :(
    I enjoy all sport but GAA & rugby are my thing.
    I understand the basic rules of NFL but have no great depth of knowledge.
    Any tips welcome

Should have mentioned we're staying at nearby St Petersburg

• Advertisement

No way, i'm going to this game too.

I'd say plan to enter the stadium for 12, you can take a look around inside at the ship etc.

I stay just across the road when i go so i head over for about 11.30 for a few beverages..

Advertisement