Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ: Don't retort, post REPORT!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

People are still responding to spam, a "funny" retort is pointless as the spammers don't read your comments.All it does is feed into the bot's stats and it encourages the system to keep trying.

Please stop doing it, it's stupid.

Could you bring it as an infractionable offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Larianne wrote: »

Yes, but we'd rather not have too.

Edit: except Whoops, see below :p

Micky I swears I have not spoke to Larianne today. This is all just a terrible coincidence.

Yes, but we'd rather not have too.

Edit: except Whoops, see below :p

Whoopsa does all her modding through me! :pac:

Nah, great minds Micky :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Gordon wrote: »
    Maybe 'hidden link' isn't quite right to use in this case, 'hidden image' is more appropriate. Some spammers place hidden images within their posts, that are in fact scripts held on their server. If you open a thread with this image, they will see your IP address and timestamp it. They can't hack into your computer with this info (I think!) but the more info spammers have, the worse it is for everyone.

The hidden image may be a moot point in Afterhours though as images are disabled.

I is scaredid. I can haz hug?

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    I is scaredid. I can haz hug?

Oh now he wants hugs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No hugs in this thread, Just boots up the hole.

...mutters...shratten ratten mods...

Anyway.

Useful extension for Chrome and Firefox for spam reporting. Can't get it to work myself but might be useful for others.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77151902&postcount=1795

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Do you think this dress looks too sexy for my sister? :pac:

Serious note: I report anything I suspect is spam. Makes life easier for those modding and a cleaner forum for everyone to use.

/swot

Abi wrote: »

Serious note: I report anything I suspect is spam. Makes live easier for those modding and a cleaner forum for everyone to use.

This is specially for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Wasn't the OP arrested as part of the ongoing Jimmy S case? :/

Awh tahh!

Abi wrote: »
    Do you think this dress looks too sexy for my sister? :pac:

Serious note: I report anything I suspect is spam. Makes life easier for those modding and a cleaner forum for everyone to use.

/swot

Lick

Lick

Ohh it's on!

I actually feel really bad about calling Abi that. I'm sorry, was just messing.

Well..... I had a PM saying "it's on like cong, I'll take her down like you won't believe"

Just saying.

Ahh fúck, I thought it was on in a different way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What happens if i reported Gordon's post as spam? :pac:

He'll ban himself. Ask Super-rush to confirm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The universe instantaneously implodes into a black hole, then instantly re-expands with no-one being any the wiser.

Except ...

... you won't be here.

And Gordon will be smiling quietly to himself.

• Advertisement

Mod

Ok folks, I'm re-stickying this thread for a while, we really need you to take heed of it as it's an ongoing issue.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Awww. I was hoping to to get the bots to read a paradox and watch them implode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

One thing, doesn't it make sense to post in the thread you reported the OP? Since it's better to report it and then not have another 9 or 10 reports for the same post?

One thing, doesn't it make sense to post in the thread you reported the OP? Since it's better to report it and then not have another 9 or 10 reports for the same post?

No. Doesn't matter what you post, has the same effect. And it makes no odds to us if twenty people report it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I was actually disappointed when a spam thread advertising Chinese lanterns was deleted before most people could see my "A great bunch of lights" pun.

Ah well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mod

Ok folks, I'm re-stickying this thread for a while, we really need you to take heed of it as it's an ongoing issue.

Cheers.

Might it be better to throw this into the charter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Might it be better to throw this into the charter?

I think it's already in there or maybe in the rules and guidelines you agreed to when you sign up.
    Point of making it a sticky is to make people more aware.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I know BD, it's just it's been done a lot in here, this was stickied, taken off and after a while, started again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I know BD, it's just it's been done a lot in here, this was stickied, taken off and after a while, started again.
    That's because people still keep doing it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

@ OP mod guy:

The vast majority of spam threads are one post accounts who post a link with nothing else.

Surely there is a script somewhere you could use that prevents those with say 50 posts or less from posting links?

Not difficult problem is not difficult.

Advertisement