Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ: Don't retort, post REPORT!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Where am i going to get my LED shoelaces now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

No problems, would want to get an official warning O_o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

My sexy girlfriend tells me to do it.

I'll stop now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

But without the spam where will we get humour in AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Some of the spam has been real people too don't forget. It don't respond to the *****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I know they are bots but I still sometimes respond to them (as well as report) if I see them in AH and its particularly stupid. I wont reply to them anymore though.

also I should point out that Aardvark completely failed. The Anime forum is still getting boatloads of spam, perhaps even more. I sometimes view it to see the entire first page with just spam threads, the spam often sits there for a good several hours before being removed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I know they are bots but I still sometimes respond to them (as well as report) if I see them in AH and its particularly stupid. I wont reply to them anymore though.

also I should point out that Aardvark completely failed. The Anime forum is still getting boatloads of spam, perhaps even more. I sometimes view it to see the entire first page with just spam threads, the spam often sits there for a good several hours before being removed too.
    I wouldn't say Aardvark failed. In the last week it's maybe had about 200 new threads created in it. It's a great honeytrap for spam, but no it doesn't stop spam, spam is unstoppable. It has reduced sitewide spam a bit though, I'm sure of that. If you could see the Aardvark forum with my view, it's absolutely chocka with deleted spam.

Maybe instead of reporting the posts, if it's obvious bot spam, can you post it in the link I've posted in the OP? If you report spambots as posts (wee exclamation mark on the left hand side of the post) it sends a message to the Mods of the forum, who in turn will delete and forum ban the user but more likely - post on the spam thread I linked to in the OP. If you report spam directly on that thread, a passing Admin will see the report and act on it faster, cutting out the Mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Gordon wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Aardvark failed. In the last week it's maybe had about 200 new threads created in it. It's a great honeytrap for spam, but no it doesn't stop spam, spam is unstoppable. It has reduced sitewide spam a bit though, I'm sure of that. If you could see the Aardvark forum with my view, it's absolutely chocka with deleted spam.

Maybe instead of reporting the posts, if it's obvious bot spam, can you post it in the link I've posted in the OP? If you report spambots as posts (wee exclamation mark on the left hand side of the post) it sends a message to the Mods of the forum, who in turn will delete and forum ban the user but more likely - post on the spam thread I linked to in the OP. If you report spam directly on that thread, a passing Admin will see the report and act on it faster, cutting out the Mods.

Ah ok, I didnt realize because I havent seen a single post on it in aaaaages.

Just out of interest Gordon, is there anything else in the pipeline to take stronger actions in preventing spam from getting through. It's a problem I imagine is only going to get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You know those spam e-mails you get promising you ways to get a bigger penis.. what's that all about?

Most men don't need a bigger penis. They just want a tighter vagina.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You know those spam e-mails you get promising you ways to get a bigger penis.. what's that all about?

Quick hide the dainty women, Larry Murphy is about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I didn't know most men had any kind of vagina let alone a loose one

If Sarky was a mod here you'd all be banned:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

bluewolf wrote: »

Me either =/

I report, then I retort.

I hate spammy fúckers, and I hate everyone and everything before I have my coffee in the morning, so my sexy sister dress job is one of my regulars. I wish death to spam and trolls equally.

Just out of interest Gordon, is there anything else in the pipeline to take stronger actions in preventing spam from getting through. It's a problem I imagine is only going to get worse.
    I believe the devs' next challenge incorporates spam at some level, I think they're going to be working on the registration process. What that entails regarding spam, I'm not sure, but they've done fantastic work with mod tools and apis and loads of other bits and bobs, I've got great faith that they'll sparkle for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

OK Gordon, I understand, I haven't seen any for a while, but I have replied to them, and gosh darn it, I'm gonna miss replying to those spammy effers, cos it cracked me up, and some AHer really did come up with some funny retorts!

Question though, when you sign up it says that you have to have 25 posts before you can start a thread, is that not enforced?

RachaelVO wrote: »
    OK Gordon, I understand, I haven't seen any for a while, but I have replied to them, and gosh darn it, I'm gonna miss replying to those spammy effers, cos it cracked me up, and some AHer really did come up with some funny retorts!
    I know it's fun, and I'd be the same if I didn't know how it affects us. It's not a great big deal on its own, but now that we're getting more and more spam, we need to tighten up in as many areas as possible, so cutting off their oxygen is a necessity.
    Question though, when you sign up it says that you have to have 25 posts before you can start a thread, is that not enforced?
    It doesn't say that you can't start a thread, maybe you're thinking of signatures?

Gordon wrote: »
    I know it's fun, and I'd be the same if I didn't know how it affects us. It's not a great big deal on its own, but now that we're getting more and more spam, we need to tighten up in as many areas as possible, so cutting off their oxygen is a necessity.

It doesn't say that you can't start a thread, maybe you're thinking of signatures?

I won't respond anymore Promies :p

It could well have been the signatures I was mixing up alright... maybe it could be an idea for some forums all the same... wouldn't work for them all (parenting and pregnancy springs to mind), but it could work for AH and cuckoos nest for example!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Well, I fucking like SPAM sandwiches. Have a rake of them made for the QPR/Man City match in the morning. Now the wine? ........ Um ......... Merlot will do grand. "I'm PINK therefore I'm SPAM", Descartes Anon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Abi wrote: »
    bluewolf wrote: »

Me either =/

I report, then I retort.

I hate spammy fúckers, and I hate everyone and everything before I have my coffee in the morning, so my sexy sister dress job is one of my regulars. I wish death to spam and trolls equally.

Dress too sexy sister?

I won't respond anymore Promies :p

It could well have been the signatures I was mixing up alright... maybe it could be an idea for some forums all the same... wouldn't work for them all (parenting and pregnancy springs to mind), but it could work for AH and cuckoos nest for example!
    You might also be think of thanking post! I think you might have to have 25 posts before you can do that.

So the message is basically don't ever in any way acknowledge spam. :)

You might also be think of thanking post! I think you might have to have 25 posts before you can do that.

Thanks babe, I got that..

Gonna miss it though, that sexy dress on the underground, how can he get his girlfriend to dress so hot... is this underwear too sexy for my girlfriend

There's some of the shine gone outta my life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Is this something that will be enforced? Or is it a "please don't do it" kind of thing?

With the volume of users we have, it isn't something that can really be controlled. Only tighter registration or a min post post requirement before being allowed start a thread is the best way, but don't know how feasible that it is for the Boards team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Everyone except you. <3

Sarky wrote: »

Everyone except you. <3
    No flirthing, it's against the charter :p

Thanks babe, I got that..

Gonna miss it though, that sexy dress on the underground, how can he get his girlfriend to dress so hot... is this underwear too sexy for my girlfriend

There's some of the shine gone outta my life :(
    I was more explaining it to myself. I'm slightly retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm slightly retarded.

Who'da thunk it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sarky wrote: »
    Everyone except you. <3
    No flirthing, it's against the charter :p

*puke*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

People are still responding to spam, a "funny" retort is pointless as the spammers don't read your comments.All it does is feed into the bot's stats and it encourages the system to keep trying.

Please stop doing it, it's stupid.

Advertisement