Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny will not debate with Adams on the Vincent Browne Show.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Border-Rat wrote: »
    If a politician did not pick and chose his opponents tomorrow, it would be a world first.

Yep, so it's worthy to comment on why a politician does that.
    What is the point in having a one on one debate with Martin? Gerry said he would be wiling to do a leaders debate, if anyone is to champion the yes side in a one on one debate surely it should be Enda or Gilmore, people who have real power and influence, people who can be challenged on how they will pay for a yes vote, where the extra cuts will come etc etc

There is little point in a one and one between opposition TDs, an all party leaders debate sure.

A leaders debate would be good, assuming Higgins and Boyd Barret are considered leaders so we'd have equal numbers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

K-9 wrote: »
    Title edited. I've no reason to think the OP lied or made it up, just a mistake.
    Has a major blow been struck to the Yes campaign and the FG/Labour govt as Kenny will not debate with Adams ?
    " TAOISEACH ENDA KENNY has ruled out the possibility of a head-to-head debate with Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams on TV3."

http://www.thejournal.ie/kenny-rules-out-tv3-debate-says-i-do-not-do-the-vincent-browne-programme-446617-May2012/

Thank you for editing the title. I do think from both of these posts by the OP, it gives the clear impression Enda Kenny would not debate Gerry Adams or/and debate Gerry Adams on TV3.

The link the OP provides clearly show his comments are not the full story.

All we know is that Enda refused a debate by VB on tv3. We know they debate in the Dail every week and there is option to debate under a different moderator in TV3 but whether this has been accepted or not has not answered and is only proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

i8mancs wrote: »
    Has a major blow been struck to the Yes campaign and the FG/Labour govt as Kenny will not debate with Adams ?

Kenny rules out TV3 debate, says: “I do not do the Vincent Browne programme”

He prefers to do the Merkel DESTROY IRELAND AND ITS PEOPLE FOR THE SAKE OF GERMAN BANKS PROGRAMME what a C##T

If we are going to pick what country's banks we owe most to, Germany ain't the biggest.

It's the UK, but sssshhh, go ahead with the anti-German nonsense, I won't tell anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

I'm sure Enda said he would do everything to get the referendum passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

paky wrote: »
    enda kenny doesnt 'do' vincent brown? wtf, hes a total coward. hes afraid vincent brown might ask some questions which havent been choreographed as they are on rte. hes a joke of a man

Actually Browne insinuated that Kenny should kill himself.

I'm sure he'd do it if Ursula Halligan was doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Wider Road wrote: »
    I'm sure Enda said he would do everything to get the referendum passed!

citation please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I was looking forward to that!

Maybe it can still be done on his terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

BOHtox wrote: »

No he didn't. He used a long-established metaphor to suggest Kenny should step down as FG leader for the good of the party. Now Kenny uses this laughable "offensive to the families of suicide victims" excuse to avoid Browne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

BOHtox wrote: »

He was speaking metaphorically and Enda knows this. Darkened room, whiskey, revolver etc. Anyone who heard it knows it was not meant in a literal sense. Enda is just using it as an excuse to avoid tough questions from Vincent.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LONE WOLFF

I think kenny used the VB excuse before the last election and got away with it. He's probably been advised to stay away from it and keep his mouth shut and it'll all work out in the end.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Kinski wrote: »
    No he didn't. He used a long-established metaphor to suggest Kenny should step down as FG leader for the good of the party. Now Kenny uses this laughable "offensive to the families of suicide victims" excuse to avoid Browne.
    woodoo wrote: »
    He was speaking metaphorically and Enda knows this. Darkened room, whiskey, revolver etc. Anyone who heard it knows it was not meant in a literal sense. Enda is just using it as an excuse to avoid tough questions from Vincent.

I'm glad to hear someone else say this. At the time I seemed to be alone in saying that it was all blown out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Its like as if VinB said "fall on his sword" and enda got uppity saying that was offensive, ridiculous, just an excuse not to get destroyed on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

will he join any debate, we know he does not want to be on vb, that is fine and well, but i want to see a good debate,

the last debate we had was brill the run for the aras, i wonder could anything top that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Lost a lot of respect for Kenny. Vincent Brown is imho excellent at what he does, and he doesn't make things easy for politicians, which is imho, how it should be,

goat2 wrote: »
    will he join any debate, we know he does not want to be on vb, that is fine and well, but i want to see a good debate,

the last debate we had was brill the run for the aras, i wonder could anything top that

He'll probably go on RTE.

If you are looking for a McGuinness vs. Gallagher type moment you probably aren't going to get it. European referenda are about who gets the message across best, Ganley outstanding in Lisbon 1, Martin very good in Lisbon 2 due to experience in Europe and a usually well argued approach.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

wes wrote: »
    Lost a lot of respect for Kenny. Vincent Brown is imho excellent at what he does, and he doesn't make things easy for politicians, which is imho, how it should be,

Enda also ran away during the election campaign. He also stayed away from the Connaught football final last year due to a prior engagement, when most felt it was due to a Hospital Closure.
    Enda told us that he would do all he could to get the treaty passed, yet he has renaged on his promise already!
    Will Enda face Adams with Ursela Halligan in the chair?
    One last question, will he attend this years Connaught final?

Wider Road wrote: »
    Enda also ran away during the election campaign. He also stayed away from the Connaught football final last year due to a prior engagement, when most felt it was due to a Hospital Closure.
    Enda told us that he would do all he could to get the treaty passed, yet he has renaged on his promise already!
    Will Enda face Adams with Ursela Halligan in the chair?
    One last question, will he attend this years Connaught final?

"Will Galway beat Mayo. Not if they have Willie Joe."

I think Kenny as with most Government leaders, wants to stay away from debates, Bertie did too but I see it in England, here going back to Garret/Haughey years, I think it might even have been an issue in France recently.

If TV3 have offered Ursula Hannigan, Kenny can't back out of this one. IMO FG don't have any stand out performers on Europe, but then Adams isn't the best on Southern matters so it balances out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭golfball37

Adams knew only too well that Kenny would not enter into the debate - he would not have put forward the proposal in the first instance otherwise. Why has he today refused to enter into a one on one debate with Micheál Martin?

Nothing to see here only a political stunt orchestrated by the SF press office.

ha ha ha- One born every minute as the C4 program says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

" TAOISEACH ENDA KENNY has ruled out the possibility of a head-to-head debate with Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams on TV3."

http://www.thejournal.ie/kenny-rules-out-tv3-debate-says-i-do-not-do-the-vincent-browne-programme-446617-May2012/

I've made it easier to read :) Also look at the full length of your link:

kenny-rules-out-tv3-debate-says-i-do-not-do-the-vincent-browne-programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

VinB has said someone else can chair it, lets see what Enda does now

• Advertisement

VinB has said someone else can chair it, lets see what Enda does now

Vincent Browne said before 6 o'clock yesterday that he would stand aside & let Ursula Halligan host the debate. What's the reason for Enda's delay in agreeing to the debate? Enda would do well IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

johngalway wrote: »
    I've made it easier to read :) Also look at the full length of your link:

I've made it easier to read :) Also look at the full length of my link:

I've made it easier to read :) Also look at the full length of my link:

:rolleyes:

keep us posted on this as i would love to see a debate,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

No.

What's unclear about his statement below?

"I am very happy to debate with Deputy Adams but I do not do the Vincent Browne programme.”

He didn't refuse to debate with Adams as you suggest, he just won't debate on a programme with VB moderating.

Typical Ireland, complaining about politicians telling the truth!

Probably actually wont do anything on TV3, with Browne over personal remarks and Halligan because he has no cahones.

He's running scared at the moment, which is unbelievable given that this treaty is more important than a general election.

if that be the case why did they go all out begging for our vote in the last election, one of them promising the public that he would work on half a wage if he got in, but he did not leave the electorate that he was going to take on his wife as secretary, so that is where the other half as they say came in so it made a whole

Probably actually wont do anything on TV3, with Browne over personal remarks and Halligan because he has no cahones.

He said he doesn't do the VB programme. The VB programme with Halligan is still the VB programme. Enda was honest about VB, I don't blame him for that one bit. VB's comment about Enda was shameless. Yes, he apologised, but so what? He'd do it again in the morning if it gave him better ratings. Someone on radio described him (VB) today as a "cranky pensioner". You reap what you sow with people, even politicians. Personal remarks are beyond the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

Perfectly right of Kenny not to do the VB show.

Why subject himself to questioning by a biased, cantankerous, bullying crank with a left wing agenda who has already made clear that he considers the Treaty should be rejected to send a 'message' to the Govt that we have had too much 'austerity'. Let TV 3 suck.

He said he doesn't do the VB programme. The VB programme with Halligan is still the VB programme. Enda was honest about VB, I don't blame him for that one bit. VB's comment about Enda was shameless. Yes, he apologised, but so what? He'd do it again in the morning if it gave him better ratings. Someone on radio described him (VB) today as a "cranky pensioner". You reap what you sow with people, even politicians. Personal remarks are beyond the pale.

The name of the program could be changed if that was an issue.
    And this is absolutely nothing do to with the fact that he's not a great debater?
    I think we could do with a few more "cranky pensioners" interviewing politicians instead of the usual palsy-walsy RTE softly softly club.

• Advertisement

Good loser wrote: »
    Perfectly right of Kenny not to do the VB show.

Why subject himself to questioning by a biased, cantankerous, bullying crank with a left wing agenda who has already made clear that he considers the Treaty should be rejected to send a 'message' to the Govt that we have had too much 'austerity'. Let TV 3 suck.

He would have an opportunity to explain the importance of this referendum, if he believes in his brief he should be able and up for it.

It doesnt look like he is, and thats not good enough.

He said it was more important than a general election; if thats true, he'd want to start fighting for it and stop holding a grudge.

Advertisement