Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny will not debate with Adams on the Vincent Browne Show.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Has a major blow been struck to the Yes campaign and the FG/Labour govt as Kenny will not debate with Adams ?

Kenny rules out TV3 debate, says: “I do not do the Vincent Browne programme”
    http://www.thejournal.ie/kenny-rules-out-tv3-debate-says-i-do-not-do-the-vincent-browne-programme-446617-May2012/

Well he isn't backing down from a debate with Adams, just refusing to go on vb again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

No.

What's unclear about his statement below?

"I am very happy to debate with Deputy Adams but I do not do the Vincent Browne programme.”

He didn't refuse to debate with Adams as you suggest, he just won't debate on a programme with VB moderating.

Typical Ireland, complaining about politicians telling the truth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Kenny getting great mileage out of his VB tiff. Coincidently it means he can take the soft rte option any time a leaders debate is mentioned. I've no real interest in kenny v adams, neither are great debaters but Kenny is making full use of his get out of jail free card.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

thebman wrote: »
    Well he isn't backing down from a debate with Adams, just refusing to go on vb again.
    johngalway wrote: »
    No.

What's unclear about his statement below?

"I am very happy to debate with Deputy Adams but I do not do the Vincent Browne programme.”

He didn't refuse to debate with Adams as you suggest, he just won't debate on a programme with VB moderating.

Typical Ireland, complaining about politicians telling the truth!
    " TAOISEACH ENDA KENNY has ruled out the possibility of a head-to-head debate with Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams on TV3."

http://www.thejournal.ie/kenny-rules-out-tv3-debate-says-i-do-not-do-the-vincent-browne-programme-446617-May2012/

Kenny getting great mileage out of his VB tiff. Coincidently it means he can take the soft rte option any time a leaders debate is mentioned. I've no real interest in kenny v adams, neither are great debaters but Kenny is making full use of his get out of jail free card.
    " Kenny getting great mileage out of his VB tiff. " :eek: How do you see that ? Surely it's the No campaign who will get the mileage out of it. Seems like the FGers are going to try turning logic on it's head and tell us it's a great victory for Enda :)

• Advertisement

" TAOISEACH ENDA KENNY has ruled out the possibility of a head-to-head debate with Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams on TV3."

TAOISEACH ENDA KENNY has ruled out the possibility of a head-to-head debate with Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams on TV3 saying he will not appear on a programme moderated by Vincent Browne.

Apply for the a job with a tabloid TBH.

Must be hard work ignoring what things are actually about to come up with your own version of events to suit your own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

i'm pretty sure matt cooper stated kenny has refused to come on his show also? i stand to be corrected.

But imho, if the leader of the country refuses to engage with media shows that many voters watch & listen to, can he really expect me to vote YES without these debates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

" Kenny getting great mileage out of his VB tiff. " :eek: How do you see that ? Surely it's the No campaign who will get the mileage out of it. Seems like the FGers are going to try turning logic on it's head and tell us it's a great victory for Enda :)
    I was referring to kennys get out of going on the vincient browne show card, which I believe is disingenuous but advantageous to him personally. It means he can avoid shows like VB and simply recite PR uninterrupted on other less enquiring shows. I was being critical of kenny, incase you missed it.
    Also, I'm not a blueshirt.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure matt cooper stated kenny has refused to come on his show also? i stand to be corrected.

But imho, if the leader of the country refuses to engage with media shows that many voters watch & listen to, can he really expect me to vote YES without these debates?

I'm sure he is not the only one of our politicians that refuses to do so, just one of the few ones to publicly state it so explicitly.

But if you have a state broadcaster so you can avoid hard questions then why would you go out to be slaughtered by being asked questions people actually want answers to and being pressured when you try to avoid answering them?

Much better to let the people still trying to make a name for themselves in the party do that and potentially destroy their chance a political career if they make a massive mistake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Adams knew only too well that Kenny would not enter into the debate - he would not have put forward the proposal in the first instance otherwise. Why has he today refused to enter into a one on one debate with Micheál Martin?

Nothing to see here only a political stunt orchestrated by the SF press office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus did you just ignore that entire article and read what you wanted to read?
    All that article says is Vincent Browne has stepped aside.
    Enda simply hasnt had a chance to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Adams knew only too well that Kenny would not enter into the debate - he would not have put forward the proposal in the first instance otherwise. Why has he today refused to enter into a one on one debate with Micheál Martin?

.....I doubt Gerry is aware of just how thin skinned Enda is. Well, he is now, obviously......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Wow, that's quite the misleading title :rolleyes:

I am sure there is plenty of stuff we can accuse Enda about, so why in the world does the OP have to lie and make stuff up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

enda kenny doesnt 'do' vincent brown? wtf, hes a total coward. hes afraid vincent brown might ask some questions which havent been choreographed as they are on rte. hes a joke of a man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

he's acting like a stuck up celebrity,''i dont do the vincent browne show''LOL,hes a politician by backing out of a debate he lacks credibility which will look bad for him,especially if its brought up to him again about backing out,it makes gerry adams seem more credible.id say there could be another reason for backing out,wonder is their something personal adams could have brought up that is not in the public eye yet who knows..
    ill say one thing for vincent he doesnt let them off the hook he gives them a good grilling..

he's acting like a stuck up celebrity,''i dont do the vincent browne show''LOL,hes a politician by backing out of a debate he lacks credibility which will look bad for him,especially if its brought up to him again about backing out,it makes gerry adams seem more credible.id say there could be another reason for backing out,wonder is their something personal adams could have brought up that is not in the public eye yet who knows..
    ill say one thing for vincent he doesnt let them off the hook he gives them a good grilling..

I don't think it does, Bertie never went on it did he? Did Brian Cowen? I can't remember really.

Seems like our Taoiseach's usually stick to the cover of RTE to avoid pressure questions.

Enda obviously has other reasons for not going on like the suicide comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

VinB has offered to let someone else chair it... I say he would have been fairly impartial anyway seen as he hates Gerry

Endas excuse not to go on is ridiculous anyway, it was a metaphor although VinB probably should have said "fall on his sword" instead.

thebman wrote: »
    I don't think it does, Bertie never went on it did he? Did Brian Cowen? I can't remember really.

Seems like our Taoiseach's usually stick to the cover of RTE to avoid pressure questions.
    Clowen refused to go on it, VB got him at a press conference in a hotel though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Indeed, Martin is very good in European debates so I think Adams is picking and choosing his opponents.
    Wow, that's quite the misleading title :rolleyes:

I am sure there is plenty of stuff we can accuse Enda about, so why in the world does the OP have to lie and make stuff up?

Title edited. I've no reason to think the OP lied or made it up, just a mistake.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

K-9 wrote: »
    Indeed, Martin is very good in European debates so I think Adams is picking and choosing his opponents.

If a politician did not pick and chose his opponents tomorrow, it would be a world first.

• Advertisement

What is the point in having a one on one debate with Martin? Gerry said he would be wiling to do a leaders debate, if anyone is to champion the yes side in a one on one debate surely it should be Enda or Gilmore, people who have real power and influence, people who can be challenged on how they will pay for a yes vote, where the extra cuts will come etc etc

There is little point in a one and one between opposition TDs, an all party leaders debate sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Will he accept the debate with Ursula Halligan moderating?
    http://www.tv3.ie/pr_sub.php?type=2&view_pr=227

I am not familiar with the Enda Kenny -v- Vincent Brown issue, did something happen between them?

Six of One wrote: »
    Will he accept the debate with Ursula Halligan moderating?
    http://www.tv3.ie/pr_sub.php?type=2&view_pr=227

I am not familiar with the Enda Kenny -v- Vincent Brown issue, did something happen between them?
    VinB said something like "is it time for him to go into a dark room with a bottle of whiskey and a revolver?" ie step down as leader

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Oh yeah I remember that!

Someone above said Enda Kenny is acting like a stuck up celebrity. Whenever I read " I don't do the Vincent Browne show" I picture him doing the 'talk to the hand' action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

" I don't do the VB show"

Fair enough, I dont do household charges,water charges, universal social charges........

Glad we have an inspiational leader like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

paky wrote: »
    enda kenny doesnt 'do' vincent brown? wtf, hes a total coward. hes afraid vincent brown might ask some questions which havent been choreographed as they are on rte. hes a joke of a man
    VB has being nothing but Rude to Enda for his whole political like. He does not like the mand and wants nothign to do with him. end of. he has made this quite clear, so no he is not afraid of him, just thinks he is a toe rag.

ted1 wrote: »
    VB has being nothing but Rude to Enda for his whole political like. He does not like the mand and wants nothign to do with him. end of. he has made this quite clear, so no he is not afraid of him, just thinks he is a toe rag.
    He needs to get over it in all honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

K-9 wrote: »

I don't think it's anything to do with the respective debating skills of Martin and Kenny - Adams probably sees this as an opportunity to portray himself as the unofficial leader of the "Opposition."

A Kenny/Adams debate doesn't sound like a particularly compelling (or informative!) spectacle, but Kenny's reason for not doing this is lame. I'm not a fan of Vincent Browne, but he hosts what must be the most notable non-RTE current affairs programme on television; he's a significant player in the political commentary sphere, whether the Taoiseach likes it or not. As it is, it looks to me (and plenty of others) like he's avoiding any confrontations with a notoriously prickly and difficult interviewer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Why should a politician have to jump to it if a TV station decides to put a debate on, without checking if the politician is agreeable?Poor attempt at a publicity stunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

Has a major blow been struck to the Yes campaign and the FG/Labour govt as Kenny will not debate with Adams ?

Kenny rules out TV3 debate, says: “I do not do the Vincent Browne programme”

He prefers to do the Merkel DESTROY IRELAND AND ITS PEOPLE FOR THE SAKE OF GERMAN BANKS PROGRAMME what a C##T

Advertisement