Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J Jones vs Hendo

Options
  • 10-05-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Its on Sept 1st.
    Hendo got a shot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaveTheSpic

preddy wrote: »
    Its on Sept 1st.
    Hendo got a shot?
    If he can negate the reach of Jones he does. I'd be worried about his cardio though..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

He has as good a chance as anybody. He won't beat him in a decision so he'll have to get inside and go for the big ko. The hard job is getting close enough to do that though.
    Jones' chin hasn't been tested by a big bomb like Hendo can throw so it could be interesting.
    I have a feeling that it'll go like all Jones' other fights though.......people say this is when he'll be beaten and Hendo has the best chance, but then Jones puts in an incredible performance and walks away with the belt still around his waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Yea I worry about the cardio too after watching the shogun fight.
    Jones will pick him apart i would say from a distance.

Who else is left to fight him at LHW anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaveTheSpic

preddy wrote: »
    Who else is left to fight him at LHW anyway?
    Alexander Gustafsson. But I'd like him to have maybe one or two top 5 contenders before he gets a shot. And I think if Phil Davis worked on his striking he'd pose more than a few problems for Jones!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dean09 wrote: »
    He has as good a chance as anybody. He won't beat him in a decision so he'll have to get inside and go for the big ko. The hard job is getting close enough to do that though.
    Jones' chin hasn't been tested by a big bomb like Hendo can throw so it could be interesting.
    I have a feeling that it'll go like all Jones' other fights though.......people say this is when he'll be beaten and Hendo has the best chance, but then Jones puts in an incredible performance and walks away with the belt still around his waist.

Agreed.

I think Rashad caught him pretty good with that head kick though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Jones reach isn't such a factor on the ground

Really good match. Look forward to this one

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

IMO this fight will be won or lost in the clinch. Hendo won't get past Jones' reach to land anything of significance on the feet. Unlike Jones' previous opponents Hendo will be happy to instigate the clinch. IMO a tight clinch game is the best way to negate the reach and striking of Jones, its also the best way to get him to the floor as it appears he is extremely adept at defending double and single leg td's. Easier said than done, getting a hold of him in reality is a big ask for Hendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

no chance no chance no chance... in hell

Bar a big overhand bomb Henderson loses this badly, maybe viciously. If anything Jones is more likely to inflict serious harm when he's in the clinch and forced to explode with elbows and knees. He's got bags more cardio than Hendo right now and can choose any which way he wants this fight to go. He'll probably play it safe enough to avoid an embarrassing Guillotine or a one punch KO which Hendo COULD catch him with IF he lays and prays and throws high n low fakes. Jone's hand fighting in-your-face technique is gona p1ss off Hendo big time and he'll lose his cool and walk into an explosive knee or spinning move, that's my guess.

Jones hasn't had to use even 85% of his skill, or heart yet, in any fight to date and that's so utterly ridiculous, he needs to get the fcuk up to HW in about 12 months time when there surely will be no remaining credible (or even willing!) fighter to put in the cage with him at 205. Just to see him fight in good fights I want him up at HW! Very dangerous career decision for him but man it'd be so cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

no chance no chance no chance... in hell

+1 to this and Hendo is probably my favorite fighter. It really only has come to this because he has already cleared out the top of the division in his four championship fights and the Bader one before it.

The problem with him moving to heavyweight is that he'll very likely clear that out even faster, once you're past Velasquez, Mir and Dos Santos, you're into Roy Nelson territory. the middle of the pile in that division is probably the weakest of all compared to other divisions.

Maybe once he finishes cleaning out the one or two possible contenders left he can move up and clear HW out and then move back down once a few more contenders become established. It probably looks like I think this guy is invincible or something but I think he's just on a completely different level to the rest of the UFC maybe apart from Aldo and Silva.

haha well I don't know about that.. he's superhuman but to go to HW against JDS? That wouldn't be a walk in the park.. for anyone ever.
    JDS is pure class, I actually wouldn't write him off against a sized up Bones in two years time when he goes up. In the mean time I hope JDS beats heads and holds on to that belt coz I can't think of a better match up in the history of MMA than a 225lb undefeated Bones (who would surely be No.1 P4P at that point) vs an omnipotent Dos Santos in his absolute prime! To me that would be the pinnacle of MMA thus far, athletically, skill-wise, pedigree etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

Jon Jones is on a different level to everyone else in the lhw division, too athletic, fast, strong well rounded and technical for anyone else to get close to him. Can't see anything but a one sided beating for Hendo but I hope I'm wrong as I grew up watching Hendo. This is old school v new and Bones got too much for him I think, TKO in the third.

+1 for Bones v JDS that would be epic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I can't think of a better match up in the history of MMA than a 225lb undefeated Bones (who would surely be No.1 P4P at that point) vs an omnipotent Dos Santos in his absolute prime!
    Jones is 225lbs now. If he going to take a legit shot at HW he'll be 245 or so.

I think people go on about JJ at HW way too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

jones has to be a heavy favourite but hendo has landed the h-bomb on too many guys for it just to be luck. however, due to jones' height, size and reach advantage i think he will end it in 2 or 3. but i would like to see him get knocked the fu*k out!!! has to happen some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Of course Jones is clear favourite but Hendo can never be ruled out.
    Hendo is one of my fav fighters of all time and if he lands one of his bombs then Jones is goin down, no doubt about it.

Hendo is currently 4/1 wit PP, he's gotta be about 7 or 8/1 for a first round KO, cos that's when it'll happen if he lands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What has Henderson done to deserve a title shot? Anyway he hasnt got a chance against Jones, pointless match really probably to boost Jones' stats.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What has Henderson done to deserve a title shot? Anyway he hasnt got a chance against Jones, pointless match really probably to boost Jones' stats.

Are you serious?

Of Hendo's last 8 match ups he has won 8, only losing on points to Shields.

Amongst those wins are Fedor (The best fighter ever to have walked the planet:rolleyes:), Bisping, Shogun & Franklin.

He's probably the most worthy challenger out there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

He's a legend!

He edged Shogun, the previous champ, in an incredible fight!

That coupled with the fact that there is nobody else.

He's beat Rashad, Rampage, Machida and Shogun (who is also coming off a loss to Hendo). Who else is even out there? Gustaffson? Davis? Lil Nog?

Is there anyone you think deserves a shot before Hendo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

that's a ridiculous statement

I can see a 1st round KO win for Hendo, he's not stupid enough to think he can go 5 rounds, also not daft enough to think he can fcuk about for 3/4 rounds either without getting picked apart.

He's gonna go steaming in and land a bomb pretty early on IMO

scudzilla wrote: »
    I can see a 1st round KO win for Hendo, he's not stupid enough to think he can go 5 rounds, also not daft enough to think he can fcuk about for 3/4 rounds either without getting picked apart.

He's gonna go steaming in and land a bomb pretty early on IMO

I agree with your thinking. if he's gonna win, it's gonna be in the 1st round and by TKO/KO!

I still can't see past Jones dominating in this fight though.

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I agree with your thinking. if he's gonna win, it's gonna be in the 1st round and by TKO/KO!

I still can't see past Jones dominating in this fight though.

But at odds of around 7 or 8/1 on a 1st round Hendo KO it's just too good to refuse. Has Jones's chin ever really been tested, as in, a proper hit landing?

But at odds of around 7 or 8/1 on a 1st round Hendo KO it's just too good to refuse. Has Jones's chin ever really been tested, as in, a proper hit landing?

100%! The value at 7 or 8/1 represents amazing value!

Jones was tested by Rashad........... but I don't think he's fought anyone who hits anywhere as hard as Hendo can!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    100%! The value at 7 or 8/1 represents amazing value!

Jones was tested by Rashad........... but I don't think he's fought anyone who hits anywhere as hard as Hendo can!

But did Rashad actually land one clean on his chin? I don't think he did, maybe wrong though

But did Rashad actually land one clean on his chin? I don't think he did, maybe wrong though

Nah i'm not too sure but at the same time, anyone can be KO'd by being hit right on the chin any someone with a decent punch.

Some people can just throw heavy punches. He seems to always drop the head down to the left and really use the shoulder to generate the power, even over short distance like 8-10 inches, very impressive, anybody would go down if they got cracked with one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

H-bombs and hellbows aside, I think it will be very interesting to see how/if Jones will be able to handle Henderson if he aggressively fights for the clinch. A short stocky wrestler can be very hard to handle in the clinch for a long fighter like Jones, even with his excellent skills in that range.

Hellbows hahahaha all-time best trademarked strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fedor-Emelianenko-vs-Dan-Henderson-.gif?t=1312107592

Mellor wrote: »
    Gif

Just for future reference:

I think Orange 2 just floats into threads on here, says something to stir something and then leaves without replying.

While you show that gif, imagine Fedor dropping down to LHW and giving Jones a go...........................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Some people can just throw heavy punches. He seems to always drop the head down to the left and really use the shoulder to generate the power, even over short distance like 8-10 inches, very impressive, anybody would go down if they got cracked with one of those.

It's like he's pitching a baseball style overhand right. I think it works so well for him as he has relatively short arms.

Advertisement