Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Gambino

I was talking about the Kavanaghs not the commissioner. If I want to read fantasy I'll pick up a copy of Lord of the Rings.

I think he'd taking about the Data Protection Commissioner.
    The email from the captains mentioned above hasn't reached me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Gambino wrote: »
    I was talking about the Kavanaghs not the commissioner. If I want to read fantasy I'll pick up a copy of Lord of the Rings.

Ex- captains

• Registered Users Posts: 14 oscar555

Sadly it sounds like the fat lady is clearing her throat in readiness to start her final song. It looks now like if you want to play your old course with other ex-members of the club then you have to join the new enterprise. I must say I'm not surprised that the land owners have gone in this direction as it offers a fresh start for everyone and a genuine opportunity to recover from the past. I wish you all well with the new project.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ding Ding

I think part of the outcome from the committee overplaying their hand and sending out the 'rant' email last week is that they no longer have access to email database. Not that they made great use of it while they had with numerous nothing emails buying time while they tried to dictate to the landowner how he should run his business!

The people I pity now are those that did not want to leave but did so since the messing started and now have missed the chance to get back playing this great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cherryman

Ding Ding, I presume you will be joining the committee which will operate the new club and we can all look forward to getting regular and detailed communications from you. I, for one will be so happy that we will have a committee member who truly understands the communication needs of members and who will work very hard for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 gboru

The clean start was probably the only logical outcome as the existing committees would have wanted to ensure that key aspects of the running of the club were kept with them e.g. deciding on membership etc. It's obvious from posts and what has happened today that the landowners want full control over finances, membership etc. That is their prerogative as it is their land. However, setting up a club, bringing in new members, organising the set up of committees, getting the club affiliated etc. is a lot of work - especially for folks who don't know the ins and outs of golf and/or running a golf club and engaging with the GUI/ILGU etc. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the membership meeting on Monday as the committees and members could decide to approach a different golf course for the use by the South County Golf Club as an interim measure. I understand that a number of solid offers are on the table to this effect. It would be similar to what happened to Kilternan with us? This would mean the landowners would have to affiliate a whole new club with the relevant authorities. I am sure we could get a good deal elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭Russman

I'd imagine any club willing to take a block of former SC members would insist they become part of the club though, no ?

gboru wrote: »
    The clean start was probably the only logical outcome as the existing committees would have wanted to ensure that key aspects of the running of the club were kept with them e.g. deciding on membership etc. It's obvious from posts and what has happened today that the landowners want full control over finances, membership etc. That is their prerogative as it is their land. However, setting up a club, bringing in new members, organising the set up of committees, getting the club affiliated etc. is a lot of work - especially for folks who don't know the ins and outs of golf and/or running a golf club and engaging with the GUI/ILGU etc. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the membership meeting on Monday as the committees and members could decide to approach a different golf course for the use by the South County Golf Club as an interim measure. I understand that a number of solid offers are on the table to this effect. It would be similar to what happened to Kilternan with us? This would mean the landowners would have to affiliate a whole new club with the relevant authorities. I am sure we could get a good deal elsewhere?
    As far as I know, the only "offer" that recognised South County as an entity was from Roundwood who proposed a merger. All the others were to individuals joining their club.
    Maybe there are other offers that well hear about on Monday. I still have no notification about that meeting.

I got forwarded the email from another member. The email states that the committee is having trouble getting out an email using the usual system and asks the members on the initial distribution list to forward on to as many people as possible. Obviously someone is restricting their ability to send communications now...

Russman wrote: »
    I'd imagine any club willing to take a block of former SC members would insist they become part of the club though, no ?

I would imagine it depends on the course? If it's someone a course like Beech Park or Slade Valley you might be right. However, a course like Killeen Castle or Citywest might be more agreeable??

• Advertisement

Don't see the point. The club IS the course. Either play there or join somewhere else and get on with it.

Don't see the point. The club IS the course. Either play there or join somewhere else and get on with it.

My initial preference would be to go back but I would have a number of concerns/questions before I would commit. Firstly, is there going to be a proper club in the near term i.e. a committee, GUI affiliation this year, proper competitions etc. Second, my understanding from talking to a committee member is that the clubhouse and course is still the subject of ongoing negotiations with the bank and nothing has been agreed. In fact, I was told the first meeting between the bank and the landlords did not go well at all. I would not go back unless that situation was finalised. I can see only a couple of scenarios playing out once the members are informed of the situation. 1) An egm of the club is held and the current committees resign and a new committee is formed and accepts all the terms of the landlords and then members decide individually to come on board on the new set up. This I assume would allow the landlords to continue to use the SC name/brand and retain affiliation. 2) The current committees remain in place and negotiate/look for another course to play on. This would mean that the new club would need a new name and new affiliation. 3) The committees/members decide to wind up the club and inform the GUI/ILGU. Again, I think this would mean the new club would need to apply for affiliation which will take months. My bet is that 1) will happen? Thoughts?

My initial preference would be to go back but I would have a number of concerns/questions before I would commit. Firstly, is there going to be a proper club in the near term i.e. a committee, GUI affiliation this year, proper competitions etc. Second, my understanding from talking to a committee member is that the clubhouse and course is still the subject of ongoing negotiations with the bank and nothing has been agreed. In fact, I was told the first meeting between the bank and the landlords did not go well at all. I would not go back unless that situation was finalised. I can see only a couple of scenarios playing out once the members are informed of the situation. 1) An egm of the club is held and the current committees resign and a new committee is formed and accepts all the terms of the landlords and then members decide individually to come on board on the new set up. This I assume would allow the landlords to continue to use the SC name/brand and retain affiliation. 2) The current committees remain in place and negotiate/look for another course to play on. This would mean that the new club would need a new name and new affiliation. 3) The committees/members decide to wind up the club and inform the GUI/ILGU. Again, I think this would mean the new club would need to apply for affiliation which will take months. My bet is that 1) will happen? Thoughts?
    I think things have moved a long way past the situation you describe. The liquidator has been add gone, as has the old club. The committee has no status and no rights to the name or anything else. Not sure about the bank but if the liquidation is finished then they are gone too.
    The landlords have their land and a golf course and can do what they like with it. How well they do it is the only question.

Owners will be forming a new committee, comps next weekend, keeping SC name. GUI need revenue so affiliation a formality.

The old committee can keep the 'club' and try and wander around looking for someplace to play. Ballinascorney club did this and eventually settled in Old Field, Kilmashogue.

I would suggest going back, nothing to lose and cheapest option by far, if people were on DD, it's 420 for rest of year, unbeatable and you can then decide on 2013 after giving owners 6 months 'probation'. If you paid upfront, not as attractive at 150 more but still cheaper than shelling out.

Let's get up and start playing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭carman2011

Ding Ding wrote: »

Owners will be forming a new committee, comps next weekend, keeping SC name. GUI need revenue so affiliation a formality.

The old committee can keep the 'club' and try and wander around looking for someplace to play. Ballinascorney club did this and eventually settled in Old Field, Kilmashogue.

I would suggest going back, nothing to lose and cheapest option by far, if people were on DD, it's 420 for rest of year, unbeatable and you can then decide on 2013 after giving owners 6 months 'probation'. If you paid upfront, not as attractive at 150 more but still cheaper than shelling out.

Get a clue dude
    They can't have comps next weekend or in the next couple of months , without the GUI affiliation which someone showed how hard and long it takes to set up a couple of pages back !
    We will all have no handicaps , no proper comps and can't play opens anyway without the committee coming along !

carman2011 wrote: »
    Get a clue dude
    They can't have comps next weekend or in the next couple of months , without the GUI affiliation which someone showed how hard and long it takes to set up a couple of pages back !
    We will all have no handicaps , no proper comps and can't play opens anyway without the committee coming along !

I kind of agree on one level. They can run internal comps but they won't be GUI qualifying ones. It does sound like things are happening behind the scenes if a new committee is being formed for next week? How are they going to maintain handicaps etc? Manually? BRS? I think you need to be affiliated with the GUI to have a BRS account? I guess it is just an individual decision at this point.... I'll wait and see who the leaders are in the new set up before making a decision...

Get a clue dude

I've lots of clues, read back on my posts and compare with what has happened.

There will be comps next weekend, now is there a way to make a bet with you on this?

I can give you a forecast regarding meeting on Monday night but that would spoil the fun.

I think the new club will be excellent as all the naysayers will have been weeded out.

Kavanaghs are business people not volunteers doing this as a hobby, yes they have hit problems but like successful business people they solved them.

If we did not have a committee trying to control membership on property they dont own, then we could have been up and running a month ago.

Can't wait to get up over the weekend to practice for competitions next weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭carman2011

Get a clue dude

There will be comps next weekend, now is there a way to make a bet with you on this?

I can give you a forecast regarding meeting on Monday night but that would spoil the fun.

I think the new club will be excellent as all the naysayers will have been weeded out.

Kavanaghs are business people not volunteers doing this as a hobby, yes they have hit problems but like successful business people they solved them.

If we did not have a committee trying to control membership on property they dont own, then we could have been up and running a month ago.

Can't wait to get up over the weekend to practice for competitions next weekend!

LOL dillusional much ?
    Ok , tell me this, the kavanaghs already have a GUI affiliation in place , yes ? Or are u just talking rubbish ? , what will this new club be called , I'm interested.
    Obv this must of been done a few months ago, given the lack if GUI meetings in the summer , seems bizarre to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Weeding out the naysayers is one thing but will the old board be welcomed back?????????

Get a clue dude

LOL dillusional much ?
    Ok , tell me this, the kavanaghs already have a GUI affiliation in place , yes ? Or are u just talking rubbish ? , what will this new club be called , I'm interested.
    Obv this must of been done a few months ago, given the lack if GUI meetings in the summer , seems bizarre to me .

3 No's to your questions. Name SCGC 2012.

I'm trying to help with info so people can make a decision, so spare me the dude stuff

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Weeding out the naysayers is one thing but will the old board be welcomed back?????????

Don't think they will be, and probably too divisive an issue to start here. It's tough on people personally despite what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Where are you getting the indication they won't be back from. Have they indicated to you or have you got it off a committee member?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

I would suggest going back, nothing to lose and cheapest option by far, if people were on DD, it's 420 for rest of year, unbeatable and you can then decide on 2013 after giving owners 6 months 'probation'.
    You serious? Cheapest option in comparison to what? Club isn't even fully up and running yet and even if it was you are looking at 4 months decent golf at best up there with the weather conditions you get. You could pay 500euro temp membership in the Hermitige for the rest of the year. That sounds better to be. Much more sheltered and far superior course by the time you consider the Kavanaghs offer of 420 plus GUI/Golfsure. Not to mention whatever other costs will be incurred. Practically every other course in the area is doing 1,500 for the next 18 months. City West is doing full membership for 650.

IMO the Kavanaghs would want to be doing rock bottom golf similar to Blesso Lakes if they want any chance of making a go of this. I am sick of the emails at this stage but credit to the Kavanaghs no nonsense one today. Ridiculous carry on from the captains last week. Shameful and embarrassing how on earth they though that was going to be received well i dont know. Much more credibility for them just say 'Go on about your business our fellow ex members this horse we are flogging is dead'.

Its been emotional but i am glad its come to an end now. For me anyway.

I would suggest going back, nothing to lose and cheapest option by far, if people were on DD, it's 420 for rest of year, unbeatable and you can then decide on 2013 after giving owners 6 months 'probation'.
    You serious? Cheapest option in comparison to what? Club isn't even fully up and running yet and even if it was you are looking at 4 months decent golf at best up there with the weather conditions you get. You could pay 500euro temp membership in the Hermitige for the rest of the year. That sounds better to be. Much more sheltered and far superior course by the time you consider the Kavanaghs offer of 420 plus GUI/Golfsure. Not to mention whatever other costs will be incurred. Practically every other course in the area is doing 1,500 for the next 18 months. City West is doing full membership for 650.

IMO the Kavanaghs would want to be doing rock bottom golf similar to Blesso Lakes if they want any chance of making a go of this. I am sick of the emails at this stage but credit to the Kavanaghs no nonsense one today. Ridiculous carry on from the captains last week. Shameful and embarrassing how on earth they though that was going to be received well i dont know. Much more credibility for them just say 'Go on about your business our fellow ex members this horse we are flogging is dead'.

Its been emotional but i am glad its come to an end now. For me anyway.

Another naysayer gone, what will we do now. The new club will be one of the most positive in the country. People will have to find something else to throw they're stones at now.

I understand that the course is a bit tough for some and as a result they are inclined to call easier course 'better' ones.

Never missed a days golf in last year there and only 1 day on temp greens. Now in newlands, hermitage, etc how are those stats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Another naysayer gone, what will we do now. The new club will be one of the most positive in the country. People will have to find something else to throw they're stones at now.

I understand that the course is a bit tough for some and as a result they are inclined to call easier course 'better' ones.

Never missed a days golf in last year there and only 1 day on temp greens. Now in newlands, hermitage, etc how are those stats!

I played loads of competitions on temp greens this year and remember 2 days alone where the course was closed due to heavy rain. Sorry but your telling lies which all previous members can call you out on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Sorry but your telling lies which all previous members can call you out on.

Not lying really. Misleading yes. If he just played one game last year, and that time it was on temporary greens, then his statement would be true.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Not lying really. Misleading yes. If he just played one game last year, and that time it was on temporary greens, then his statement would be true.

I think I played on temp greens only once this year as well - and I play very often. The only weather "problem" at SC is wind. The underfoot conditions are the best in the area - as you can tell from the number of people from other clubs who play there when their places are closed.

It should not take long to get the GUI affiliation sorted. The main issue now is getting the bunkers back to good condition and tidying up the rough in a few spots. Yes, it would be better and quicker if the existing committees could slot in but if not, there are other options.

I will be interested to hear the committees version on Monday.

Sandwlch wrote: »

I think I played on temp greens only once this year as well - and I play very often. The only weather "problem" at SC is wind. The underfoot conditions are the best in the area - as you can tell from the number of people from other clubs who play there when their places are closed.

It should not take long to get the GUI affiliation sorted. The main issue now is getting the bunkers back to good condition and tidying up the rough in a few spots. Yes, it would be better and quicker if the existing committees could slot in but if not, there are other options.

I will be interested to hear the committees version on Monday.

Gambino, GUI affiliation for a new club will take 6-7 months according to the GUI yesterday. It would be sooner if the current club and committees decided to permit the use of the current clubs affiliation That is not a decision the landowners can make. I can't wait myself to hear directly from the committee on what has happened.

Gambino, GUI affiliation for a new club will take 6-7 months according to the GUI yesterday. It would be sooner if the current club and committees decided to permit the use of the current clubs affiliation That is not a decision the landowners can make. I can't wait myself to hear directly from the committee on what has happened.
    The committees told us a few weeks back that the GUI was ready to reactivate it a soon a the paperwork was complete. That remains the case. All that has changed is the old committee seems to no longer be involved. So there will a new committee. It will be a new club but on a pre approved course.

• Advertisement

The committees told us a few weeks back that the GUI was ready to reactivate it a soon a the paperwork was complete. That remains the case. All that has changed is the old committee seems to no longer be involved. So there will a new committee. It will be a new club but on a pre approved course.
    Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. The club is affiliated, not the course. At the moment scgc is affiliated and would continue to be so if the current membership and committee wanted to do so. They would have to find another course in the medium term but the GUI would give them time. The only way I could see the situation changing is if an egm of the current club was called and a new committee elected that the landlords like and one willing to accept all terms etc. What I am saying is that i think this stuff will take time to work through and it won't happen fast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement