Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of Dublin Bus?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

devnull wrote: »
    I've seen countries where Jaywalking is a crime and absolutely NOBODY will cross a road other than at designated traffic points and where the green man shows at traffic lights. You would be amazed at how much better traffic flows in the city centre and it makes things actually quicker for both pedestrians and motorists alike and for sure helps ease congestion.......

Those countries usually also have far more realistic crossings for people walking. Pedestrians usually in those countries have a green the same time as traffic turning across the crossing and the pedestrians have the right of way and it is usually respected.

We on the other hand a system very focused on having green only to one type of user at the one time.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Maybe it should be cracked down on

Possibly you see so called parents push their buggy out onto the road to "test" the traffic.
    Of course the drivers stop and the parent strolls across the road

A car or a bike can stop.
    A multi-tonne bus cannot stop in the same distance.

Accident waiting to happen.
    If a bus hasn't run over a buggy yet it's going to happen some day and it will be front page news
    And it won't be the drivers fault realy

If a driver cannot stop in time for somebody legally crossing the road then they will be at fault.

In law, any driver knocking into the back of another car or bus etc is automatically at fault because they have not left enough stopping distance or were not looking.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    For example,virtually every UK town or city will have central areas where pedestrians and vehicular traffic are safely segregated by the hi-tech expedient of a steel barrier....:eek:

Many of which have removed them because they have proven to be not so great for pedestrians and deadly for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

monument wrote: »
    Those countries usually also have far more realistic crossings for people walking. Pedestrians usually in those countries have a green the same time as traffic turning across the crossing and the pedestrians have the right of way and it is usually respected.

We on the other hand a system very focused on having green only to one type of user at the one time.

Many of which have removed them because they have proven to be not so great for pedestrians and deadly for cyclists.

Many...but not all,or even most...I'd suggest "Some of which have removed them" as the removal of the barriers also tends to be accompanied by further works to ensure that the pedestrian and vehicular modes do not get to conflict with the gay abandon all to obvious in Erins green isle...?

I would cite Westland Row and the Northbound aspect of College Green as being two locations where it's miraculous that multiple fatalities are not a daily occurence.....:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

I've only recently started using Dublin Bus and there's a lot of things that stick out like a sore thumb

Firstly the app is great. Without that I would completely lost. The directions on the bus stop points are a joke and if you didn't really know Dublin city, you'd be screwed trying to get around.

I find the inner city centre drivers the most helpful, they don't seem to loose the cool when people stop the bus and then ask for directions and realise they need a complete different number.

As someone mentioned earlier, the fact the most bus stops have no shelter is stupid. I can understand within the city, so junkies and homeless aren't hanging around/sleeping under them, but there are very little shelters outside the city centre, where the bus waiting times are longer....and you're usually more exposed to the elements.

People jumping the queue is another big one. I think that ranges around the whole of Ireland, that no-one understand how to use a queue. "Oh I'm the last to arrive in the line, sure that means I'm first on"

Also the fare stages are some difficult to understand. Have no idea how it's calculated and the website doesn't give much insight to it.

The leapcard system should be smart enough that you can just simply tag on/tag off at the validator if you are only using the bus for part of the journey. Most of the buses location are available by realtime so they're obviously some kind of tracker on the bus so why not integrate with the leapcard with stops.

I know this may be cheeky, but I can't stand the fact older people thinking they are entitled to your seat. I don't mean elderly people, I mean people aged mid 30's- 40's. I have no problem giving up my seat if I'm getting off at the next few stops or if they are pregnant or in desperate need on a seat, but just because they're a couple of years older than me and only out of the office after work doesn't entitle ya to my seat. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I can't stand the fact older people thinking they are entitled to your seat. I don't mean elderly people, I mean people aged mid 30's- 40's. I have no problem giving up my seat if I'm getting off at the next few stops or if they are pregnant or in desperate need on a seat, but just because they're a couple of years older than me and only out of the office after work doesn't entitle ya to my seat. :mad:

People in their 30s/40s ask you for your seat? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Get the 40 or 13 every morning, they are always severely overcrowded. Other than that they are fairly reliable.

I use the 'my dublin bus' app, its very handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 pixieprinny

Yeah and the bus wasn't even packed. The downstairs was full but there was only a few people up top.

I had one woman ask me to move from the single seat when the bus was practically empty. She said "it was her usual seat"...she seemed a bit away with the fairies so I moved.

I seriously would hate to be a man, I've heard women bitch because guys haven't giving up their seat to them. Come on like, its not the Titanic, it's lovely is a gentleman offers you the seat but Christ ya can't expect the seat just because you're a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Vahevala wrote: »
    It is expensive. I have to spend 124 Euro on a monthly bus and luas ticket which is pricey, yearly tickets are lethally expensive. :(:(

Bus stops around Suffolk Street are ridiculous, way too packed and very hard to catch a bus there without risking missing it or getting run over :(Bus stops are way too close together, it is like they are afraid that people have to walk a little bit... :rolleyes:

Also the RTPI displays at times seem to be a work of fiction, a regular bus route that I get at a certain stop seems to never display on it, yet appears at the bus stop perfectly...

Would agree with the security thing, anything to get rid of the scumbag element either drinking/smoking/playing loud music/shouting racist abuse would be welcome..

If you think Dublin Bus stops are too close together you should come to Toronto. It's absolutely ridiculous how close some of their bus stops are. Their bus stops don't have a real time display and they also don't have a number you can text to find out when the next bus will arrive. At least Dublin Bus do have this, but in saying that Dublin Bus can be very unreliable.

I would agree though that 124 Euro for a monthly is too expensive considering that you can't use it on DART, Dublin Bus and Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Love the app. It's a lot more accurate since it's been in service for a while.

Got the bus into town last week. I had to use coins for the first time in about 7 months because I'd been using pre-paid cards - the 10 journey ones for 90mins.
    Anyway, asked for €2.30, got a strange look and was given a ticket. When I sat down and looked at it, I saw it was for €2.15. Went up and questioned it and was reminded, via another strange look, that the highest fare was €2.65.
    I had completely forgotten about that increase earlier this year! I apologised and offered to top up to €2.65 and also offered to buy a new ticket.
    The driver laughed and waved me away saying it was alright!
    There's an awful lot of extremely decent people driving those buses. I can't imagine it's the most pleasant of jobs on some of the routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭anomynous

I take the 18 everyday from Palmerstown to Ballyfermot, I've only started and don't completely understand dublin bus. Do I say where I'm going before dropping in my change? Its like everyone else just gives the money, grabs ticket and sits?? Anyone help me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

State your destination to the driver, s/he will tell you the fare then drop it in.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/How-to-use-the-bus/Step-2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

anomynous wrote: »
    I take the 18 everyday from Palmerstown to Ballyfermot, I've only started and don't completely understand dublin bus. Do I say where I'm going before dropping in my change? Its like everyone else just gives the money, grabs ticket and sits?? Anyone help me please?

Use a leap card,this is a card you top up with money in the newagents and you can use on the dart,luas and dublin bus when you get on the bus place it on the machine next to the driver and state your destination the driver will then take the fare from your leap card

Advertisement