Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liberty insurance

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Just had a great experience with Liberty. My younger brother passed his driving test yesterday and I wanted to update the policy. Clicked the callback button on the website and within 10 seconds was talking to a customer service agent. She congratulated my brother on passing, which was a nice human touch, and offered an immediate discount of €243, with a further discount when it comes to renewal. So it would seem that they're not trying their hardest to reduce their numbers of younger drivers on the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Transpirant

They probably read this thread and realized that consumers aren't stupid and DO shop around. I still cannot believe Liberty chose Ireland because the insurance market is now dead over here: record numbers are dumping health insurance, house insurance dramatically scaled back and car insurance just hanging on for it's life. The insurance industry is toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

They probably read this thread and realized that consumers aren't stupid and DO shop around. I still cannot believe Liberty chose Ireland because the insurance market is now dead over here: record numbers are dumping health insurance, house insurance dramatically scaled back and car insurance just hanging on for it's life. The insurance industry is toast.

If you drive without car insurance your breaking the law!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Transpirant

mikeym,

People are giving up their cars. Of course some are choosing to drive without insurance (let's not debate the 'law' lecture) but many have sold their cars. The government will increase car tax and also increase insurance tax in the next budget so only the lucky will be able to cough up the money to stay on the road thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rover The Moon

sandin wrote: »

But don't discount them for other insurance. They are weak in the business sector, so their rates are brilliant,

Sandin i dont know where you are getting your information from but Liberty are not weak in the business sector in Ireland. Liberty have been trading in Ireland for the past 15 years as a purely commercial insurance business. They are 1 of the top professionial Indemnity policy providers in the country and offer a massive range of business products. Liberty are well known in the broker community and the reason they seem like a new company to the everyday person is because up until now they only dealt with brokers with no public access.

The reason Liberty are competitive in the business sector is because they have been there for so long and have a substantial book of business built up that they can afford to lower prices on certain types of insurance. Another reason is that Liberty use underwriting and human decisions whereas most insurance companies are bound by their rater which is a computer based model.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Try Chill, they have 14 companies and usually always have one of them that will come in cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Same happened to me in Feb. I did the online quote with Liberty.

99 Audi A6, less than 20,000km pa, driving 12 years with no peno points...

...€1800 Third Party!!!! :eek::eek: €2,600 fully comp!

I got it for €380 on another website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I'm not surprised, there are only 3 other companies in Ireland that offer motorbike insurance and Quinn/Liberty are quite generous to bikers starting out as two of the other insurance companies won't touch under 25s and the other one won't cover you commuting on a provisional licence :rolleyes: so in fairness Liberty know there will be a market for them here for the foreseeable future, with bikers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've just renewed two policies with Liberty, motor and house insurance.

In both instances I got renewals in the post but by going online and filling out the data myself I saved on both policies. In the case of motor insurance I actually upped the value of the car, added a named driver and the the quote was €65 cheaper than they quoted me on my renewal. On the home policy I didn't change anything and it was only €14 cheaper.

BUT.. both policies worked out cheaper than anything else around. I had got quotes from chill, 123.ie etc and Liberty could still beat them. In saying that I have never claimed in 12 years of driving or 10 years of household policies so I'm probably a safe enough bet for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I dont understand why there is such a difference between quotes.

For me, Liberty were ridiculously expensive. For some people they were the cheapest.

Im driving over 12 years and have no penalty points and never had any claims. its strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

They were by far the cheapest for me at my renewal 4 weeks ago. I have been with PMPA, then AXA years ago, FBD, insure.ie, and most recently 123.ie. Their renewal came to €585, shopped around, got quotes of around €500, one quote of €460, then Liberty quoted me €414 on-line, rang them up and got a further 5% discount for phoning and renewed for €391.
    I'm surprised at some of the quotes on here, but like everything shop around, insurance companies are all rip-off merchants. Back in 2001 my insurance went up by about £500 because of the twin towers incident. I tried to convince them that I wasn't planning on driving my car into any skyscraper in New York...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Min77

I agree... I had been a Quinn customer for 5 years and continued on with liberty, recently I moved to Northern Ireland and got a new car!

Out of loyalty I rang liberty to get a quote for my new car ( year old) I've no points or claims and am 35 years old and female! The quoted me a whooping £1300 and this is without a no claims bonus protection!

For the same car with all the same details I was quoted £387 including the no claims bonus protection from another insurance company!

That's 1/3 of the price quoted by liberty!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just because they aren't competitive in some market areas doesn't make an insurer a "rip off".

That is unless somebody actually bought overpriced cover.

Im a motor insurance customer with Liberty Insurance and recently I rang then up looking for home insurance.

I rang Allianz and they gave me a cheaper quote (€250 cheaper than rip off liberty even though I was offered a 10% discount).

So when my car insurance is up for renewal il definately be shopping around.

I know theres people out there who genuinely cant afford to pay for the running of their cars but in the end if they crash into me they dont pay a penny I do.

Ive seen people drive cars that are in no fit condition to be on the road, most of these people are probably on the breadline but they are putting their lives and their childrens lives in danger if they do not maintain their cars properly e.g. bald tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Was happy with Quinn about 7 years, when Liberty took over my renewal was crazy so am now a happy AXA customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Kevint30

have been with Quinn for about 10 years. Full license about 8 years. Corolla. Last years quote 400. This year quoted 620. This was 3rd Party fire & Theft. They can take a run & Jump. They must be trying to get out of Ireland in my opinion. Now I am after geeting a quote from over25.ie fully comp excess 125 windscreen and no claims protection for 370 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Just got renewal at €540 then down to €410 with a bit of negotiation. Not bad for a 27 yo male with a learning driver as a named driver and then 2 young inexperienced drivers. The cheapest other quote I got was over a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Have a 1.3, corsa, diesel. Me and wife, 11 years full licences, no claims ever, no points accidents ever. 100% clean.
    Comp insurance with open driving and no claims protection
    FBD €405
    Liberty €1,350
    I asked liberty if that quote for 3 years of insurance, because the my are a F'in bunch of robbing bastards.

Avoid them! Maybe reality will kick in some day and will discover they are a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I was with Quinn around 10 years €275 I got the same quote off Liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

robclay26 wrote: »
    Have a 1.3, corsa, diesel. Me and wife, 11 years full licences, no claims ever, no points accidents ever. 100% clean.
    Comp insurance with open driving and no claims protection
    FBD €405
    Liberty €1,350
    I asked liberty if that quote for 3 years of insurance, because the my are a F'in bunch of robbing bastards.

Avoid them! Maybe reality will kick in some day and will discover they are a rip off

That's funny - I have the exact same car (1.3 cdti Corsa)..my wife has the same car as well. Full bonus, she has one claim from just over 3 years ago - fully settled for small amount. For comprehensive with bonus protection/breakdown/homestart/one year newer car in the event of write-off (as that bloke is always saying on the advert!), it's €283 euro!! I'm going to take their hand off. Much cheaper than Chill/Nononsense (not a bad quote from these) /One direct/Tesco (their worst "Value" policy with no windscreen, massive excess and no bonus protection was over 300 quid - stunned).

Liberty all the way for me now, and will be going to them in May for the missus too.

• Advertisement

Avoid Liberty Insurance at all costs.

I was paying more for 3rd Party Fire and Theft than my male friends were paying for comprehensive from other insurance companies. And I never claimed in my life and im older than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Liberty quoted me €3500 or so December gone for insurance, third party. Ended up with Asguard paying €750.

I don't get upity about it, while it ight be a rip off, Insurance is competitive enough here that you can always get a deal. I don't understand anyone that stays with their insurance company for more then a term, you can drop the price year on year if you just ring around...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

mikeym wrote: »
    Avoid Liberty Insurance at all costs.

I was paying more for 3rd Party Fire and Theft than my male friends were paying for comprehensive from other insurance companies. And I never claimed in my life and im older than them.
    Silly statement. It's simple, price them all, go with the best value. If that happens to be Liberty, then so be it.
    Liberty are most expensive for some, cheapest for others!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 alina1403

10 years with quinn direct, now liberty increased insurance 60%, no accident, no claim bonus always insured comprehensive, totally ripped off....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Would someone please explain to me how you can be ripped off if you paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Did anyone here fill out online forms for quote at liberty site first ?
    last year i got a really got quote for car,and while choosing the car quotes were ranging about 200-300e between the reg plate of the car,anyway when finally rang to get quote it was 100e higher,asked whats the story with that,and guy explained quotes change everyday :confused: as basically i told him i had better quote couple days back,and he asked did i had reference number for it,which i didn't.Anyway went with them,months later had an accident and only had third party insurance,luckily no one was hurt the settlement was payed for third party,but claim was put on my name week after that,as someone decided to make more money out of what happened.long story short their customer service is very slow,as its 9months and no details are heard about claim being settled or dropped on my name.also had to freeze insurance for couple months,and when got another vehicle and called back got told that for those months i wont be refunded :cool:,anyway gonna have to wait till renewal to see what sort of hike in price they will put on me.As in my case it cost couple grand just because i didn't went fully comp stupidity to save couple quid bit me hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

i went from €690 per year (3rd party with fire & theft) with axa to €323 per year (fully comp) with 123.ie on a 01 daewoo lanos

was with axa since 2000 with 12 years no claims until last sept and they wouldnt bring the cost down...so i changed insurance provider..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭overshoot

sandin wrote: »
    Why did you call them when you can do it all online in less than a minute AND get an extra discount.
    thought id jump back to this, i dont believe its true at all. i recently got my first policy and repeatedly found i could get them below the internet quote over the phone, even after the online "extra" savings. they were often cheaper before bargaining

but yea liberty were a long way off, about 200e
    got in with a broker in sligo (cavanagh hooper dolan (axa)) doing a guy a turn for a bit under 800 but brittons & aviva were there about too. aviva actually the cheapest after some bargaining, think i nearly got 150 off them although it took some effort and i think pressing for a letter about my no claims worked im my favour too. (also they posted out the details about 10 days after the date i needed to be insured by :rolleyes:)
    23yr old, 5 years full & 6 years no claims (as a name driver) fully comp on a 10 golf

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

I'm currently with 123 and paying about €650 fully comp for a ford focus. I've 5yrs no claims and no penalty points and they just sent me a renewal for €1,249!!!

So I called Liberty thinking that they were new to the market and would offer good prices, which they did. I've just gotten a quote for €400 which I'm definitely going to go for! :)

Does anyone know what Liberty cover is like compared to others though? Is it more or less the same, or is there some hidden risk with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Sheog wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Liberty cover is like compared to others though? Is it more or less the same, or is there some hidden risk with it?

Not being smart but did you not ask them that when they gave you the price? Price is important but you need to know what you're actually paying for

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement