Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Germans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Things I like about Germans-

They are very punctual, never late.
    They are very hardworking,
    They are very honest and straight forward.
    They have tall blonde attractive uninhibited women....
    They aren't brainwashed by the catholic church.
    They are very organised.
    They have excellent well educated politicans running their country, while we only seem to have corrupt gombeen men running our country into the feckin ground....arrrrggggghhhh

Things I dislike about bloody Germans....

They are so fecking organised about every area of their lives. They have a system for everything....
    They seem incapable of being spontaineous,
    They are very arrogant.
    They are like sheep, they don't seem to work well on their own initiative.
    They are rather robotic, once they make a plan its carried out.

When one of their well organised plans goes wrong.... they just seem to go into crebral meltdown.... This can be absolutely hilarious to watch....They rarely seem to include any sort of back up plan....this is prolly why they lost the war.....lol...

I wonder can 82 million Germans be stereotyped the same way?

Irish people really have to get over themselves regarding the WW2. I work with teenagers who think its hilarious to draw swastikas all over the place and out heil hitler whenever they encounter a German. sadly, the teachers I work with do not see any harm in it, which is akin to making ape noises when you see blacks.

Alun wrote: »
    You should have lived there in the 80's like I did .. all the shops closed at midday on Saturday, except for one Saturday a month which was called a Lange Samstag, or long Saturday. Of course, you didn't get something for nothing, and the Monday after a Lange Samstag the shops didn't open until midday.

I'm pretty sure it's changed now, but I might be wrong.

that is because folks want to spend their lives doing something other than shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

"We must get back to Dancecentrum in Stuttgart in time to see Kraftwerk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Fuinseog wrote: »
    that is because folks want to spend their lives doing something other than shopping.

...or stuck working in a shop on Sundays. Somebody who was there in the 90's told me it was all vending machines on a Sunday, with a suprising variety of stuff in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Angela Merkel arrives at Passport Control at Athens airport.

"Nationality?" asks the immigration officer.

"German," she replies.

"Occupation?"

"No, just here for a few days."

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Latchy wrote: »
    Angela Merkel arrives at Passport Control at Athens airport.

"Nationality?" asks the immigration officer.

"German," she replies.

"Occupation?"

"No, just here for a few days."

:p
    I don't like that woman now I have to say.
    Even Germans can be arseholes it seems.
    I actually did a bit of research on here a while back because I just couldn't believe she was fully German. It's mind boggling really.

I actually did a bit of research on here a while back because I just couldn't believe she was fully German. It's mind boggling really.
    It is mind boggling as far as most of Europe is concerned as to how Merkal/ the Germans are to coin a phrase... 'calling the shots ' so to speak and jokes aside ,many Greeks will have memories of German occupation in their minds .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

It is mind boggling as far as most of Europe is concerned as to how Merkal/ the Germans are to coin a phrase... 'calling the shots ' so to speak and jokes aside ,many Greeks will have memories of German occupation in their minds .

In fairness the Germans have bankrolled Greece, Ireland and many other countries for decades.

Eaten bread soon forgotten.

No one here refused massive cash transfers in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

You're a tad cynical about the Irish there, I actually find Germans to be very similar to Irish.

I know only 200 persons (round numbers) in Ireland. I know >200 persons in Germany. I have noticed only some similiarities in behaviour and attitude to work, neighbours, relations, mates and colleagues between these persons in Ireland and persons in Germany.

Limitation of my sample

These people in Ireland are relations and ex neighbours. Most reside in hamlets of less than 100 persons. They work in firms with less than 30 employees.
    These Germans I know live in a big town of 43.000 inhabitants, a nearby workplace has 31.000 workers. The companies have 100 - 100.000 employees. 90% of my neighbours have only been resident here for less than ten years. In Ireland my neighbour's father, granddad ..... great great great grandad lived in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

John C wrote: »
    I know only 200 persons (round numbers) in Ireland. I know >200 persons in Germany. I have noticed only some similiarities in behaviour and attitude to work, neighbours, relations, mates and colleagues between these persons in Ireland and persons in Germany.

Limitation of my sample

These people in Ireland are relations and ex neighbours. Most reside in hamlets of less than 100 persons. They work in firms with less than 30 employees.
    Thes Germans I know live in a big town of 43.000 inhabitants, one nearby workplace has 31.000 workers. The companies have 100 - 100.000 employees. 90% of my neighbours have only been resident here for less than ten years. In Ireland my neighbour's father, granddad..... great great great grandad lived in that area.
    You are German?

• Advertisement

You are German?

No, hes from Upper Bavaria just past mullhuddart.

In fairness the Germans have bankrolled Greece, Ireland and many other countries for decades.

Eaten bread soon forgotten.

No one here refused massive cash transfers in the 90s.
    Yes...that's the reality .

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

A former boss (German) told me this joke about Paddy fighting the Germans in the War.
    He'd devised a brilliant way of shooting the Germans. He'd be in the trench and shout "Hans?", and a German would stand up and say 'Ja!', and Paddy would shoot him.

Getting fed up with this, a German commander though he'd turn the tables. He was in his trench one day and during the fighting he shouted "Paddy?". (Hoping the Irishman would stand up) The Irishman shouted back "Is That you Hans?". The commander stood up and said 'Ja', and was duly shot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I always had difficulty concentration in germany

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

went out with one for a while
    and of course my german teachers are german :pac:

not much to say they're just people
    women in some of the cities did seem to have better fashion sense though

wouldn't mind moving there or switzerland sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I will be an honorary German from June 8th to (hopefully!) July 1st.

Deutschland, Deutschland Uberalles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 king_kong_ill

what exactly is mind boggling about the fact that angela merkel is german ?

she comes across as quintesentially german to me , if she was italian or spanish , i would have reason to scratch my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

bluewolf wrote: »

Did you really find this to be the case? I've seen this posted on boards quite a bit but my experience with German women was that they were some of the worst dressers in Europe. Baggy jeans and big shapeless jumpers or parka jackets with scarves seemed to be the norm along with cheapish looking runners. Maybe it was the cities I've been to (Freiberg and Stuttgart) but I found a similar 'look' amongst German women abroad. Compared to a visit to Barcelona or Rome I didn't think the women were anything special (maybe I just like Mediterranean women :P)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Did you really find this to be the case? I've seen this posted on boards quite a bit but my experience with German women was that they were some of the worst dressers in Europe. Baggy jeans and big shapeless jumpers or parka jackets with scarves seemed to be the norm along with cheapish looking runners. Maybe it was the cities I've been to (Freiberg and Stuttgart) but I found a similar 'look' amongst German women abroad. Compared to a visit to Barcelona or Rome I didn't think the women were anything special (maybe I just like Mediterranean women :P)

I was in saarbrucken, heidelberg, and some other town I forget the name of, and yeah, they seemed pretty stylish and well put together.
    Definitely no baggy jeans and shapeless jumpers in sight!

must depend on the city, i'm hoping to visit a few more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I was in saarbrucken, heidelberg, and some other town I forget the name of, and yeah, they seemed pretty stylish and well put together.
    Definitely no baggy jeans and shapeless jumpers in sight!

must depend on the city, i'm hoping to visit a few more
    christ, germany is far more fashion concious than Ireland (which should be your standard reference point when slaggin off anyone)

In Munich theres separate stores ran by Prada, Gucci, Dolce Gabana and all other major designers that seem to be doing brisk enough business.
    Not to mention high end boutiques all over the place along with other more reasonably priced shops.
    And lingerie shops! The nice clothing you cant see. Lots of them about too, which is a sign of classy birds. Well.... could be a sign of birds with rich boyfriends/ hubbys but anyhow. Its also something you see shag all of in Ireland even during the height of the boom. Money cant buy class but can buy nice frilly knickers - far superior than wasting it on a property portfolio!

Theres an amount of downdressers in germany like everywhere else. Probably more mullets than anywhere else in Europe.
    BUT - these are often your equivalent of the irish tracksuit/ pyjama wearing type citizen that in Ireland we try and ignore exist (till they randomly try cause a fight on the street with us late at night).
    Does a few badly dressed, badly groomed, poor people represent a nation? In Ireland or elsewhere?

• Advertisement

Does a few badly dressed, badly groomed, poor people represent a nation? In Ireland or elsewhere?

Are you ranting about something? :confused:

kfallon wrote: »

unlike our British chums who wanted to rule the waves and still sing about his, Deutschland über alles was an expression for one single united Germany as opposed to hundreds of small kingdoms. oft misinterpreted.

christ, germany is far more fashion concious than Ireland (which should be your standard reference point when slaggin off anyone)

In Munich theres separate stores ran by Prada, Gucci, Dolce Gabana and all other major designers that seem to be doing brisk enough business.
    Not to mention high end boutiques all over the place along with other more reasonably priced shops.
    And lingerie shops! The nice clothing you cant see. Lots of them about too, which is a sign of classy birds. Well.... could be a sign of birds with rich boyfriends/ hubbys but anyhow. Its also something you see shag all of in Ireland even during the height of the boom. Money cant buy class but can buy nice frilly knickers - far superior than wasting it on a property portfolio!

Theres an amount of downdressers in germany like everywhere else. Probably more mullets than anywhere else in Europe.
    BUT - these are often your equivalent of the irish tracksuit/ pyjama wearing type citizen that in Ireland we try and ignore exist (till they randomly try cause a fight on the street with us late at night).

only knackers wear tracksuits in Germany. football jerseys are reserved for when there is football.

there is more individuality in Germany than Ireland, actually there is more individuality everywhere but Ireland. Folks here seem to have uniform tastes about everything.
    where are the punks or goths in Ireland?do not dare to be different and slagg anyone who is.

where are the punks or goths in Ireland?

central bank

went out with one for a while
    and of course my german teachers are german :pac:

not much to say they're just people

wouldn't mind moving there or switzerland sometime

I've been reliably informed that Switzerland is a bit 'different'..Not exactly too well filled in on the map of liberal Europe when it comes to attitudes to women working and the like.

From a purely musical point of view , this and Amhrán na bhFiann (the version as played at closedown on rte tv late 80s ) are both wonderful pieces of music .

From a purely musical point of view , this and Amhrán na bhFiann (the version as played at closedown on rte tv late 80s ) are both wonderful pieces of music .

the melody was composed by the Austrian Haydn in the he 18th century long before the Nazis, something a lot of folk do not see to realise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

the fuq?
    The following content has been identified by the YouTube community as being potentially offensive or inappropriate. Viewer discretion is advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

if you are new to Germany, the Germans can seem very arrogant and miserable, but once you get to know them they are great people, very family orientated... and as the OP says, they are active.. where we are over in the East, the neighbours are out doing the gardening, cycling, partying, they just have a great time, and that makes me feel more relaxed..

I love Germany...

supposed to have come here (Germany) to work on our old house for an 8 week period.. 15 months on..

WERE STILL HERE!!

• Advertisement

the melody was composed by the Austrian Haydn in the he 18th century long before the Nazis, something a lot of folk do not see to realise.
    A-1
    RichieC wrote: »
    the fuq?
    As Fuinseog explained , it was composed long before the Nazis altered and used it .

Advertisement