Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Germans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I went out with a German (Bavarian) girl for nearly 9 years. Lived in Munich for just over 2 years so have very fond memories of the place. It holds a special place in my cold dark Nazi heart :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I like them and their fun on a night out. Our styles of humour are different and yet mutually appreciated, they can be easily wound up. They seem more direct then us about stuff and can be caught off guard when their not used to people that arent from what ive seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

Ze Germans ? I've a had a lot of experience with them.

Very very shrewd. Never ever under estimate a German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Even their beer has very strict brewing laws. You won't find the mad chemicals you find in most beers in any German beer.
    Anyway, I just think they're a great bunch of lads (and lassies).
    What are boardies experiences and opinions of ze Germans?

Great selection of top notch beers(over 600 breweries in germany)And their wine is the best Imo.

I have a german brother-in-law who lives in baden-wuttenberg.I have been over there about 7/8 times,Freiburg is a great city.As others have said ,always lots to do ,and everything is organised perfectly.Around lake constance is probably my favourite place.In the region they live in there is always festivals in the local towns winter and summer ,you are never stuck for something to do and lots of it is outdoors. I find them very friendly.Everytime we go over we are always get plenty of invites to partys,BBQ'S etc.
    As others have said they are very direct ,on one occassion a guy I met only 10 mins earlier asked could his kids spend the summer with me to learn english.Can't imagine an irish parent asking a total stranger at a party to take their kids for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Koshea

I went over there for the world cup in 2006, could not have had a better time.

One of my friends got married over there last and I spent a week just walking around breathing in the atmosphere, good, honest people. Very direct but sometimes it's just refreshing.

I've been back there 4 times since the wedding, just so ensure that it wasn't that "holiday feeling" that was bringing me over. Nope, probably bouyed by the pessimism prevalent in my workplace/the local/everywhere I go in Ireland, Germany and it's people seem just great.

Go to work, come home, party at the weekends and no endless complaining? Seems like heaven to me! I've given myself 9 months for something to come out of an artistic career (part-time to full-time hopefully) and unless that takes off I'm away to Germany even if it means dropping a few pay scales.

German ladies are also very down-to-earth (and hot.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mapaco

think i met the runt....
    ireland is rubbish, everything is faulty here....
    he knows EVERYTHING about anything....
    told me he used to be a runner and he could do 5km in an hour and a half(on his hands an knees?):confused:
    six months later he can do 10km in 20mins(which would make him world record holder):rolleyes:
    workin with him for 7 years now and the laziest git i ever met...wouldn't work to warm himself-maybe thats why he's here...:P

the beer is great tho and i'd love to visit some day

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Great bunch of lads indeed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Germans are a good bunch. I worked in Dusseldorf for a while & found the locals very friendly & great craic. Work-wise they were good at following instructions (I vas just obeying ze orders!), but feck-all use at using their loaf.

I now work with Swiss-Germans & they rock! Work hard, play harder!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    He didn't like the Turks either for some reason

About 4 milion turks living in germany. "They took our jobs!"
    German eurovision vote "12 points for turkey"

At the moment its the east germans (or russian germans )they dislike the most,"lazy welfare scroungers "
    Not real Germans,as I have been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

People seem to have a very negative view of the Germans.
    I've often heard Irish people call them boring. But anyone who's lived there will tell you this is far from the truth.
    They tend to be quite good at their jobs and take it seriously, but as soon as they're finished work they become very active. They'll be doing activities right through the week after work. Not just lounging around the house watching TV.
    Also, the women seem to be able to have plenty of one night stands and not get called whores, which is a delight, perhaps.
    They also have great diets.
    Even their beer has very strict brewing laws. You won't find the mad chemicals you find in most beers in any German beer.
    Anyway, I just think they're a great bunch of lads (and lassies).
    What are boardies experiences and opinions of ze Germans?

is that you Angela??
    we're not falling for it bi*ch!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It is weird how quiet it suddenly gets when the sun goes down. We've never found it too difficult to find a busy bar or bier hall though.

Munich is a fabulous city, except that EVERYTHING is closed on Sunday by law except the Hauptbahnhof and a couple of others. Lived up in Garching heading to the university there in 2010. And except sauerkraut...horrible stuff, great meat based diet otherwise. Very few Turkish compared to Frankfurt or northern cities I've been in.

I'd go back in a shot. Anyone I met had absolutely no idea about Ireland at all and the standard of English taught in their schools (Gymnasium? Hauptschule? Hochschule? Whoknowsschule?) is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭aoraki

Great selection of top notch beers(over 600 breweries in germany)And their wine is the best Imo.

I have a german brother-in-law who lives in baden-wuttenberg.I have been over there about 7/8 times,Freiburg is a great city.As others have said ,always lots to do ,and everything is organised perfectly.Around lake constance is probably my favourite place.In the region they live in there is always festivals in the local towns winter and summer ,you are never stuck for something to do and lots of it is outdoors. I find them very friendly.Everytime we go over we are always get plenty of invites to partys,BBQ'S etc.
    As others have said they are very direct ,on one occassion a guy I met only 10 mins earlier asked could his kids spend the summer with me to learn english.Can't imagine an irish parent asking a total stranger at a party to take their kids for a month.

I love Germany and it's people. My favourite person in the whole wide world (my wife) happens to be German, so you could say that I'm somewhat biased! Her family are great, every single one of them. There are of course slight cultural differences, but that's only to be expected. She comes from Lake Constance, and you're right Paddy, it's an absolutely beautiful spot. Gorgeous in both summer and winter. Lot's of little villages and towns on the lake shore, with plenty of medieval buildings. Slap bang in the middle of a wine region, the vineyards stretch down to the waters edge. Great wine, great food, great beer. Ah stop.... The lake is great to go sailing on in Summer, and in winter you've got the Alps to go skiing in. You're just a stones throw away from Austria and Switzerland. A fantastic spot all in all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Also 0.79c + 0.08c Pfand or recycling tax for a 500ml bottle of wheat beer

vs.

€1.20 + 0.15c for a bottle of Coca Cola.

They have the balance right.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dfx- wrote: »
    Munich is a fabulous city, except that EVERYTHING is closed on Sunday by law except the Hauptbahnhof and a couple of others.
    You should have lived there in the 80's like I did .. all the shops closed at midday on Saturday, except for one Saturday a month which was called a Lange Samstag, or long Saturday. Of course, you didn't get something for nothing, and the Monday after a Lange Samstag the shops didn't open until midday.

I'm pretty sure it's changed now, but I might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

I lived there as a child for 5 years i remeber a neighbour frau schneider to be exact roaring abuse at me from out her window all because i dropped a sweet wraper on the ground i was only three lolzzz

They are very exact if they dont like you they dont make an effort too be nice atleast they are not too faced =D

My dad is german and when i was 5 my mam (irish) and dad moved back to ireland and ever since dad says that irish people are the nicest nation of people he doesnt even want to be buried in germany so that in a way says alot about the german race....

Alun wrote: »
    dfx- wrote: »
    Munich is a fabulous city, except that EVERYTHING is closed on Sunday by law except the Hauptbahnhof and a couple of others.
    You should have lived there in the 80's like I did .. all the shops closed at midday on Saturday, except for one Saturday a month which was called a Lange Samstag, or long Saturday. Of course, you didn't get something for nothing, and the Monday after a Lange Samstag the shops didn't open until midday.

I'm pretty sure it's changed now, but I might be wrong.

Yes shops open till 5 on saturdays but its only a recent thing maybe 10years or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

unbelievable stereotypes abound about them. My own experience - without a doubt, the most welcoming people I´ve ever met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

They have efficient public transport and it's a great place to get naked or so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

When is the thread title going to be changed to Ze Germans?

The Germans doesn't sound right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Ich komme in das mutter yedentag ya. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Good man yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

My old man was German - he worked in Ireland for years and was fairly well known around - I was in a big factory once doing a job and got talking to a manager who had been there years - he asked me about my surname (it's unusual) and it turned out he had worked with my da - "jasus he said, he was wild craic altogether-a b4stard to work -then he used to be down the town dancing on the bar with all the birds half the night.." - the words were out of his mouth before he thought about it, but I had a quiet chuckle - not your usual boring German I guess. Neither are any of the others I know- some of the coolest people I have met have been Germans, from expert (mad) mountaineers to hypercar fanatics comfy at 250mph. I like em, but like everywhere, there are good and bad and I know a fair few dull pedantic gits as well. Everywhere is everywhere, but I like ze Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ich komme in das mutter yedentag ya. :cool:

What are you saying about me? :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Probably already up but....

The irony is that they own us too! :P

I like germany might study medicine or vet there cheaper plus i can live in my home =] education is brillent too =]

tahina wrote: »

My dad is german and when i was 5 my mam (irish) and dad moved back to ireland and ever since dad says that irish people are the nicest nation of people he doesnt even want to be buried in germany so that in a way says alot about the german race....
    At least here, you get to keep the grave:)

My in-laws is germany are only allowed to rent their grave.25 years per term.If they or their family don't renew the lease,whatever remains are left are dug up and put into a mass grave.The plot is then leased to someone else.
    Not a bad idea IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

God bless the Germans.

tahina wrote: »

At least here, you get to keep the grave:)

My in-laws is germany are only allowed to rent their grave.25 years per term.If they or their family don't renew the lease,whatever remains are left are dug up and put into a mass grave.The plot is then leased to someone else.
    Not a bad idea IMO.

Ya i forgot about that no wonder why he wants to be buried in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭FergusODowd

I, for one, welcome our new germanic overlords

Advertisement