Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should an English pub be opened in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GordonCole

I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

They are terrible!
    They all are the same...I would hate for them to be in Ireland!!

no they are not all the same at all, ive been in maybe 8 or 9 different wethers and a lot of them were very nice and different, particularly the one in llandudno converted from an old theatre, the worst was in chorlton in manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

There is a Wetherspoons in Belfast and it is extremely cheap. The low prices attract so much scum that fights break out regularly and most people stay well clear.

So YES This is why they should open a few in Dublin. They hoover up all the shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    You couldn't be more incorrect about London

Well the part of London I am from ( NW ) , most of the real pubs have been knocked down to re-develop . Then the only pubs left are the Wetherspoons or similar on the high street ( usually in old Woolworths )

of course I am generalising :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

well they are pubs that have an english look/feel to them....

The Castle Inn, The Mercantile, The Hairy Lemon, The George (;))

anyway go down to temple bar on a weekend and you'd swear you were in any major English town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I was thinking about the Union Flag last week, how many of them are there around Dublin does anyone know? I know there's a hostel near Connolly that has one (Isaacs I think?) but I don't ever recall seeing too many around the place.

Anyone know of any more?

(PS - I mean actual flags, not t-shirts or handbags :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

if you want to try an english pub in england.......you better hurry up.....soon there will be none left...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Why would an English bar have a Scottish team's jerseys on its walls?

The same reason that a lot of Irish pubs have a Scottish team's jerseys on the walls?

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

I dont think it will do much business.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

A scottish pub aswell, I forgot to say that in my OP. They could do haggis and have the best selection of scotch whisky's around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yes, a Queen Vic complete with a tarty Kat Slater on the taps and a tacky pokey machine. The drama would be delightful.

A scottish pub aswell, I forgot to say that in my OP. They could do haggis and have the best selection of scotch whisky's around.

Jaysus I know it's expensive but The Temple Bar has 109 different Scotch's in it, don't know how much more of a selection you'd want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Not sure where you're seeing these Irish pubs with Celtic jerseys on the wall unless you're in Donegal or Glasgow?

My two cents I think most English pubs are inferior to the vast majority of well-run Irish pubs, particularly on the food / decor side. Most of them are manky dirty as well.

Diageo's line is what the vast majority of punters want no matter how un-hipster that sounds, and once the bar I'm in has a stock of large bottles of Staropramen/ Krombacher/ Budvar or some other quality beers I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Why should there be one opened?.....to provide another english chainstore to send any profit back to England whilst edging in and taking business from Irish publicans and bringing our pubs more in line with the English pubculture?
    I don't think there should be any. This would have a negitive impact on what our country is famous for, its homely pubs. Wouldn't be ideal from a tourisim point of view and it would be opening us to lose a little more of whats left of the Irish culture.
    It would be a pity to see weatherspoons taking over and offering cheaper pint and putting age-old pubs/publicans out of business to be replaced by the branded pubs.
    I for one don't think we need one. If somebody wants an English pub in Dublin, ye should hop on the boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Not a chain pub (cause they're sh!t), but a nice olde worlde englishe style ale house would be fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Of course they should, there are **** paddy pubs all over the world... can't go anywhere without seeing the fcuking dumps..

Open one up and call it the British Bulldog..

Noffles wrote: »
    Of course they should, there are **** paddy pubs all over the world... can't go anywhere without seeing the fcuking dumps..

:rolleyes: Sounds like you would just open them out of spite!

Noffles wrote: »

or better still, this

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ha ha! there's a VD clinic nearby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Fart wrote: »
    Of course they should be allowed.

We need more ale on tap in Ireland.

Here here, music to my ears.

Sadly the love for all things Irish (in England) is not recipricated here, so realistically, it will never happen

"Paedo Bear's Playground!
    Has a ring to it, a paedo ring! :pac:

LordSutch wrote: »
    Here here, music to my ears.

With a username like yours, you'd be an ideal landlord.

"The Lord Sutch" has a good English-sounding-pub ring to it.

shanered wrote: »
    I for one don't think we need one. If somebody wants an English pub in Dublin, ye should hop on the boat!

ah come on now, don't be small minded

imagine if the english adopted the same attitude about irish pubs in england :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    With a username like yours, you'd be an ideal landlord.

"The Lord Sutch" has a good English-sounding-pub ring to it.

God bless you Sir, the drinks are on me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Most 'Irish' pubs are indistinguishable from their English counterparts these days, fewer flashing poker machines appears to be the only difference.

My ideal pub:
    • No TV - if I want to watch a game I'll find a sports bar somewhere
    • Good choice of beers, cask ales, ciders, etc Foreign and home-brewed with a few microbreweries in the mix.
    • Decent spirit and liqueur selection.
    • Pub food, nothing fancy - steak and chips is fine and later crisps and nuts
    • Ambient or no music during the day.
    • Live band at night, but not so loud I can't have a conversation with the person beside me.

Provide me with all this and I don't care what flag the landlord chooses to wave outside, I'll drink there.

Its an open market, just would perfer if weatherspoons and the like came in and took a chunk out of the indigenious publican trade, as tesco has done with the supermarket one.
    Its a personal preference and wouldn't warrent the label small-minded I would believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

shanered wrote: »
    Its an open market, just would perfer if weatherspoons and the like came in and took a chunk out of the indigenious publican trade, as tesco has done with the supermarket one.
    Its a personal preference and wouldn't warrent the label small-minded I would believe.
    Unfortunately it's not an open market, licensing laws and the like. Good luck trying to canvass your local publican, sorry TD, for changes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

English pubs are pretty **** IMO.

Advertisement