Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPD Ireland Ripoff Prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Transpirant

marinbike wrote: »
    Thx for the info! I will not be using dpd when I'm posting my next parcel. That sounds like a total rip off.

You're welcome. DPD are a ripoff. An Post is the benchmark for all courier companies. It's also our national post service unlike the corporate companies taking advantage of Ireland's low tax system to bolster their profit margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

marinbike wrote: »
    Thx for the info! I will not be using dpd when I'm posting my next parcel. That sounds like a total rip off.

You're welcome. DPD are a ripoff. An Post is the benchmark for all courier companies. It's also our national post service unlike the corporate companies taking advantage of Ireland's low tax system to bolster their profit margins.

Are you familiar with the term horses for courses?
    an post is much more suitable for your low volume small package occaisional usage.
    You never answered my other question? Would you ask a road builder to pave your garden path?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just to chip in OP:

The company I work for sends hundreds of parcels each week both within Ireland and abroad. We've looked at all the delivery options including DPD, Nightline, An Post and many more. For parcels within Ireland and to the UK we chose to use DPD as we found them the cheapest by quite a bit.

Once you start to go further afield then An Post becomes more competitive. This is of course 'in our opinion'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I rarely had a decent experience with courier companies in Ireland, An Post were about the best at finding your house since the postie would know where it is.

Although, all too frequently he'd stick a note in the door saying 'you weren't in' and when you caught him he'd fess up and say your parcel was too big to bring with him (This was a linksys router).

TNT get a bad rep in Ireland simply because alot of people bought stuff from iBood and some other Dutch companies, its just the Dutch National post system with the last leg handled by An Post.

DPD had issues finding my house for some reason, An Post is about the best for Personal Postage, mainly because you can go to the post office to send your package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 honcho

I just had DPD at the door. Extremely rude. First of all they lost my parcel for a week. I had to contact the seller to chase it up.
    We had a row on the street where he ended up leaving with the parcel. I think it was his day off (Saturday). I said I was expecting the delivery earlier so he blew his top. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

honcho wrote: »
    I just had DPD at the door. Extremely rude. First of all they lost my parcel for a week. I had to contact the seller to chase it up.
    We had a row on the street where he ended up leaving with the parcel. I think it was his day off (Saturday). I said I was expecting the delivery earlier so he blew his top. Never again.

I doubt the delivery man was responsible for your parcel getting lost, and I'm not surprised that he blew his top when you decided to have a row with him. A classic case of "shoot" the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 honcho

Sorry Ejmaztec but nobody shot the messanger and nobody blamed the delivery man. He was obviously not happy to have to deliver on a saturday as he had his kid with him. As a representative of his company he should at least be courteous. The row was about his rudeness and aggressiveness and nothing to do with the parcel.
    And why did he behave the way he did because I happened to say that I had just emailed the seller to cancel the order as it was 10 days late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

honcho wrote: »

sounds like you ate the head off him first, even though he himself was probably in no way responsible for the item going missing, and he had the decency to deliver it on his day off.

also bear in mind that DPD's contract is with the sender, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 jfk1977

I have found DPD to be pretty good and you must remember that this is a franchise so staff in one depot are not always working under the same conditions as another. The only difficult I have ever had is when a regular driver was sick and a replacement had taken over which often effected our routine.

As for cost DPD are much better than An Post but for business not for one off's and you must also bear in mind for non european destinations there will be a 25.00 custom clearance charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I quite like dpd, they even will try to rediliver an item free of charge if you contact them within a few days if you miss em first time round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Dublin6w2014

DPD are not very satisfactory if you are receiving a parcel. They cannot say when the parcel will arrive until the morning of delivery. They say that they don't know whether the parcel will fit on the lorry or not, until then.
    In all my life I never heard such nonsense. Surely they know the capacity of their lorries. Can they not measure the parcels & calculate if they will fit into the available space? Sounds like a primary school maths problem.
    Today my son took a half day off work in the morning & I took the afternoon off to wait in for a delivery. I called them at 1.05 - no answer. I called again at 4 and was told that the parcel had not been put on the lorry that morning.
    In the 21st century you cannot ask people to take an unspecified amount of time off work to accept a parcel. When I said this I was met with all kinds of objections, as if I was being unreasonable. If I were running a business I would not use DPD to deliver my goods -customers would only get annoyed like me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DPD are not very satisfactory if you are receiving a parcel. They cannot say when the parcel will arrive until the morning of delivery. They say that they don't know whether the parcel will fit on the lorry or not, until then.
    In all my life I never heard such nonsense. Surely they know the capacity of their lorries. Can they not measure the parcels & calculate if they will fit into the available space? Sounds like a primary school maths problem.
    Today my son took a half day off work in the morning & I took the afternoon off to wait in for a delivery. I called them at 1.05 - no answer. I called again at 4 and was told that the parcel had not been put on the lorry that morning.
    In the 21st century you cannot ask people to take an unspecified amount of time off work to accept a parcel. When I said this I was met with all kinds of objections, as if I was being unreasonable. If I were running a business I would not use DPD to deliver my goods -customers would only get annoyed like me.

Most, if not all, couriers will advise a delivery time between 8am and 6pm to cover themselves. Also goods are normally distributed between depots by Artics with 40ft trainers which arrive at 6-7am in the morning, so if there is something big on board, they may not be able to get it out on delivery same day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

They text / email a 2 hour delivery window early on the day of delivery.

Btw - what parcel delivery company will tell you the approx time the day before? I'm sending parcels for many years and don't know any that can give youa time the day before with any degree of certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 garry102

Not happy with this service at all... I'm waiting for my delivery since yesterday and I just get a phone call of them that they not able to do this today and they are not sure about tomorrow becouse they have wrong address. Didnt even say sorry or anything... I' m waiting since 4 days, I understand they are busy but now theres a problem with my address... So I am going to colect my stuff today by myself. Very disapointed, never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Parcelmotel are the way forward if you live anyway near one of their drop points.

Amazing system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

garry102 wrote: »
    Not happy with this service at all... I'm waiting for my delivery since yesterday and I just get a phone call of them that they not able to do this today and they are not sure about tomorrow becouse they have wrong address. Didnt even say sorry or anything... I' m waiting since 4 days, I understand they are busy but now theres a problem with my address... So I am going to colect my stuff today by myself. Very disapointed, never again.

surely wrong address is not their fault.???? They didn't write the address.

But sure - isn't it so easy to blame a delivery company and then run online, create an account on a forum and belt out your complaint without even checking your facts.

BTW - you are conflicting your info. You say you are waiting 4 days, then you say waiting since yesterday? Which is it? 4days or 1day? Also courier companies don't pack and dispatch, they just collect and deliver. If the company that you ordered from did not dispatch on time, then you don't get delivered on time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement