Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guards in ennis?

Options
  • 01-05-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

honestly have they nothing better to be doing, i was walking down by fairgreen and this fella jumped out of car to ask me stupid questions, i want to know is it just me or has other people experienced this prob?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

honestly have they nothing better to be doing, i was walking down by fairgreen and this fella jumped out of car to ask me stupid questions, i want to know is it just me or has other people experienced this prob?
    But how do you know what he was doing? For all you know you could have fit the description of someone who committed a crime and he was making sure you weren't the culprit.

From your position he was being a nonsense guard, from his position you could have been they guy someone saw robbing a car. Doesn't hurt to put yourself in someone else's shoes every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

They usually stop and question suspicious looking characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Yeah, what were you wearing? Gards don't usually ask people questions unless there is a good reason, or you are wearing a track suit and trainers and look like a suspicious type.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Groody

CptSternn wrote: »
    Yeah, what were you wearing? Gards don't usually ask people questions unless there is a good reason, or you are wearing a track suit and trainers and look like a suspicious type.

So. let me get this straight, if I am walking to the gym in Ennis wearing a track suit and trainers, I am fair game to be questioned by the Gardai?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

If there has been a report of someone wearing a track suit and trainers possibly involved in crime in the area, then I reckon the answer is yes.

Of course, a way around this awful situation would be if people can get big badges that 'I am innocent of all crimes' and then the Gardai will not need to stop them. But what if a criminal gets one of those badges . . . . hmmm. Maybe it is better that the Gardai use their discretion and decide to operate as they see fit.

• Advertisement

Groody wrote: »
    So. let me get this straight, if I am walking to the gym in Ennis wearing a track suit and trainers, I am fair game to be questioned by the Gardai?:confused:

I don't make the rules, I am just pointing out how it works.

If you lived in America and were a black teenage in a hoodie you would be stopped as well. It's the way law enforcement works around the world. They often stop people who to them look suspicious and here in todays society that is the attire which draws the most attention from law enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

honestly have they nothing better to be doing,

I'd assume he/she was doing his/her job, as has been pointed out, maybe you fit a description.
    i was walking down by fairgreen and this fella jumped out of car to ask me stupid questions

What do you mean "stupid question" did he/she ask you did you prefer simon or garfunkel?
    i want to know is it just me or has other people experienced this prob?

What problem a Garda asked you a question.

No you could be wearing a giant chicken suit, if that fits the description of a suspicions person, they Yea your "fair game", and it has nothing to do with "fair game" or Who you are, Where your from, What you do Any member of An Garda Síochána can hope out of a car, or over a wall, or out of a cake (highly unlikely :D ) etc and ask you a question.

Ps. Welcome to boards gymaholic82

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Many years ago, a Police Officer friend of mine in London advised me if you are ever stopped by a Police Officer to be always civil to them, never get into an argument with them, just say YES OffICER And NO OffICER, I am sure the same applies to our GARDA here, REMEMBER, they always have the upper hand. In the last 45 years I have found it very good advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I have dealt with my fair share of gardai in Ennis over the years due to one of my jobs, some are fantastic and and some are not so, BUT one incident that wasnt funny at the time but I do laugh at it now.

My son rang me and said he had just been arrested for smoking, off i went down to the station not believing one word of it, def had to be something else!

When I arrived I was met by 2 detectives who informed me that my son had been arrested for underage smoking, I asked were they having a laugh, (son being a month off being 18) and I was informed it wasnt a laugh and they were taking it seriously!!! I said charge him then or let him go, they let him go (''this time''), I also asked for the cigarettes which were a twenty pack with one cigarette gone out it, it was my money that paid for them (pocket money) and they obliged.........

maiden wrote: »
    I have dealt with my fair share of gardai in Ennis over the years due to one of my jobs, some are fantastic and and some are not so, BUT one incident

I got that beat. I grew up in the states. When I was 16 I was out with the lads one night and someone left a single empty beer can in my car. The next day at school while in class I got a note to go to the main office. I was met there by police who said they had be rang by the school as a teacher who was on parking lot duty (they mind the car park during lunch) had noticed beer in my car. I was then walked out to my car by two armed police who had me unlock it grab the empty beer can, and bring it back inside.

At that point I was taken to the principals office and was suspended for a week for possession of alcohol. I protested and pointed out it was an empty can. The cop turned it upside down and a single drop came out and he said 'that there is alcohol and you are in possession of it'. He then after the principal finished his tirade about alcohol at school proceeded to arrest me, handcuff me, and then the pair of them walked me out to the waiting police car which had arrived with two more police that was sitting there with the lights going and took me to the police station where I was fingerprinted, photographed, and booked. My parents had to literally come and post bail to get me out of jail.

In the end I was convicted - fined $1000, my license was suspended for a year, I got six months jail time suspended, and had to attended mandatory alcohol abuse classes twice a week for six months and if i missed one I would have had to do the six months in jail.

Yes, all for having a single empty beer can in the floor of my car.

But that's American police. So around here, in comparison, they are by no means as bad sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

You forgot to mention the body in the boot.(Trunk)

Capt Stern YOU WIN!!!!!!!!

OH...............................MY.......................................GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The op wouldn't do in the US Capt!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I got that beat. I grew up in the states. When I was 16 I was out with the lads one night and someone left a single empty beer can in my car. The next day at school while in class I got a note to go to the main office. I was met there by police who said they had be rang by the school as a teacher who was on parking lot duty (they mind the car park during lunch) had noticed beer in my car. I was then walked out to my car by two armed police who had me unlock it grab the empty beer can, and bring it back inside.

At that point I was taken to the principals office and was suspended for a week for possession of alcohol. I protested and pointed out it was an empty can. The cop turned it upside down and a single drop came out and he said 'that there is alcohol and you are in possession of it'. He then after the principal finished his tirade about alcohol at school proceeded to arrest me, handcuff me, and then the pair of them walked me out to the waiting police car which had arrived with two more police that was sitting there with the lights going and took me to the police station where I was fingerprinted, photographed, and booked. My parents had to literally come and post bail to get me out of jail.

In the end I was convicted - fined $1000, my license was suspended for a year, I got six months jail time suspended, and had to attended mandatory alcohol abuse classes twice a week for six months and if i missed one I would have had to do the six months in jail.

Yes, all for having a single empty beer can in the floor of my car.

But that's American police. So around here, in comparison, they are by no means as bad sure.

Totally ridiculous ...... neither appropriate reaction nor justice.

That people accept this as normal behaviour from authority is as bad as the behaviour itself. :(

Hopefully such will never be acceptable to the Irish people ....

Totally ridiculous ...... neither appropriate reaction nor justice.

That people accept this as normal behaviour from authority is as bad as the behaviour itself. :(

Hopefully such will never be acceptable to the Irish people ....

...and another reason I'm happy to live here and don't complain (too much) about the Gards. ;)

I lived there for many years. I have a long list of stories about police there that will boggle yer mind.

For example in 2001 in Richmond, Virginia the police were doing sting operations in night clubs and bars. They hired a professional model and threw her in a skimpy outfit and had her go around to all the top night clubs and bars meeting men. She was all over them, kissing them, fondling them, etc. and then would tell them if they would find her drugs, any drugs, she would 'go back to their place' and they could do the drugs together. Needless to say hapless men feverishly who many had never even seen an illegal drug heard this they went around the entire bar asking people if they could find something for them. When they inevitably found something and brought it to her, the swat team rushed in and the man was arrested. They were then charged for distributing whatever drug it was they had gotten for yer one.

In one night they arrested 30 men in 30 different bars this way.

The media reported on the front page the next day that the police had successfully taken 30 drug dealers off the street.

To add insult to injury, each bar and club where an arrested had happened was fined by the state (via the ABC) for allowing criminal activity in their establishment, to the tune of $5000 each.

American justice at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

AN increase in burglaries, theft from cars, theft from shops and aggravated burglaries in County Clare and a significant reduction in other crimes such as assaults and criminal damage is believed to be linked to the recession.
    According to Clare’s Chief Superintendent, John Kerin, the crime statistics for the first three months of this year compared with the same period last year bear out research carried out on criminal activity in times of economic depression.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10101:afternoon-burglaries-through-unlocked-doors-and-windows&catid=45:crime&Itemid=60

Given this report in the Champion this week, I am glad to hear that the Gardai are out there doing their work. And if they stop me and question me one of these days I would have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scrawnyass

Yes.Do not wear a tracksuit. EVER. And runners are out of the question.;)I love strolling around in a trackie pants some days. Much more comfortable than jeans.I aint no scumbag though.And I even wear hoodies on occasion:eek:.What no-good crimes could I be up to?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I lived there for many years. I have a long list of stories about police there that will boggle yer mind.

For example in 2001 in Richmond, Virginia the police were doing sting operations in night clubs and bars. They hired a professional model and threw her in a skimpy outfit and had her go around to all the top night clubs and bars meeting men. She was all over them, kissing them, fondling them, etc. and then would tell them if they would find her drugs, any drugs, she would 'go back to their place' and they could do the drugs together. Needless to say hapless men feverishly who many had never even seen an illegal drug heard this they went around the entire bar asking people if they could find something for them. When they inevitably found something and brought it to her, the swat team rushed in and the man was arrested. They were then charged for distributing whatever drug it was they had gotten for yer one.

The media reported on the front page the next day that the police had successfully taken 30 drug dealers off the street.

To add insult to injury, each bar and club where an arrested had happened was fined by the state (via the ABC) for allowing criminal activity in their establishment, to the tune of $5000 each.

Not too dissimilar to the garda prostitution sting in limerick city a while back. No major pimps were busted there either. So we can't really talk now can we???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

That sounds like the very definition of entrapment?

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    That sounds like the very definition of entrapment?

Many argued that in court but the judge said he didn't think so. Plus, thanks to crazy insane laws there most people plea bargain instead of actually going to court.

In Virginia even small amounts of drugs like cocaine, ecstasy, and speed carry a three year minimum sentence if convicted of simple possession. Most people plea bargain for a fine rather than fighting it and ending up with five years in prison because they had a tenner worth of a controlled substance.

Whats even worse is they have a law that says if you are caught breaking the law within two miles of a school the prison time is automatically doubled. And in the city, everywhere is within two miles of a school, so it automatically doubles pretty much every sentence which encourages more people to plead out instead of getting ten years for something that is actually quite minor. It's a rotten system there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

America is a ****ed up country that's for sure.
    Worked in Colorado for a summer camp years ago and was almost arrested for "tying 2 kids to a tree". Some disgruntled employee who got fired phoned the cops and reported me for this.
    It actually was an exercise where kids were tied together - a bit like a 3 legged race and had to work as a team - to get around an obsatacle course.
    I was questioned by a sherriff - a bit like the warden in Cool Hand Luke - and the file was forwarded to the District Atorney who threw it out.
    I was told not to leave the country without permission, I did and heard nothing since!

Buck is there a reward for your capture????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

maiden wrote: »
    Buck is there a reward for your capture????

Do we have an extradition treaty?

You are safe enough here. Americans are lost without a postal code system so they will never find you sure. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I have to avoid Shannon Airport other wise I'm fine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

buck65 wrote: »
    I have to avoid Shannon Airport other wise I'm fine here.

Do they have a wanted poster up about you?
    Shannon Airport's top 10 criminals!

phill106 wrote: »
    Do they have a wanted poster up about you?
    Shannon Airport's top 10 criminals!
    He's the CIA Ace of Spades since they got Bin Laden.

It's funny something happened today that made me think of this thread. I was walking home from the post office up towards the Limerick road and someone was pulled over just up from our house. My dad was messing about with the car and I went into the house. A few minutes later he came in and said 'some poor misfortune is after gettin pulled over'. And I was like 'Dad the guards don't pull people over for the craic, she obviously committed some sort of violation. If it's serious she'll get fined and deservedly so, where's the misfortune?'

The attitudes towards the Guards is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

they are a joke, i was going in and out to LIT all year from Ennis, the first really good day's weather we had last week, they were hiding behind a sign at Coonagh roundabout catching people in the 60km zone, talk about shooting fish in a barrel

Advertisement