Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Untrained 53 year old vs 20~ year old in an MMA cage; guess what happens...

Options
  • 01-05-2012 10:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Apparently the 53 year old had only an hours notice for the fight also!

Id also guess that the young guy is untrained by the looks of things but still!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

... reckless endangerment?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wow....that was....terrible :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Wow....that was....terrible :/
    I know, but its a pretty entertaining slug fest. Also the fact thats hes 53 makes it even better. Any "indie" MMA shows in Ireland do that, where they allow anyone from the crowd to fight using MMA gear, as long as they sign a waiver etc.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I know, but its a pretty entertaining slug fest. Also the fact thats hes 53 makes it even better. Any "indie" MMA shows in Ireland do that, where they allow anyone from the crowd to fight using MMA gear, as long as they sign a waiver etc.?

I don't think so and I'm no Mystic meg but that idea sounds like it could be the future of the sport. I don't know why no one has caught on to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Stephan Bonnar at 2:36? I reckon so!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Looks like a bare knuckle fight without the bare knuckles.
    Not much skill involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

It's nonsense like that which makes it all too easy to bash MMA. The promoters should not only be ashamed of themselves, but should be blackballed by clubs & fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Stephan Bonnar at 2:36? I reckon so!

Looks like it was Bonnar recording the video, it was him talking at the end also

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What a load of absolute sh*t!! They just pulled him from the crowd?

Although, if this has happened then maybe me bringing my football boots to Old Trafford every week since I was a 6 year old boy ISN'T so futile! One of these days Sir Alex, one of these days..........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Disgrace to the sport

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

It was Bonnar yeah and it was dangerous and ridiculous, both guys looked like they train out of KFC and the FC doesn't stand for fight club...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

What a joke. It's stuff like this that gives the sport a bad name. The promoter should be ashamed of himself. And also the ref. Any ref worth his salt would've had nothing to do with that.
    I've no problem with people in a bar or something having an event where people can fight each other in a cage for the craic, but when you mix it in with a "legitimate" mma event that's when it affects the sport and shows the sport in a bad light. Doing things like this just gives ammo to the people who think this is "human cock-fighting".
    I'm surprised Stephan Bonnar was praising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jitz

Interview with Bonnar and the promoter after the show talking about the fight. Crazy letting a fight like that take place...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ysFwc0FSA&feature=relmfu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Basically an MMA version of Sunday leauge football. No biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

that was very cool! :) probably last chance he'd have to do something like that in his life, and to win...great memory for him to hold on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,125 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pretty disgraceful.
    Weight class?

Mellor wrote: »
    Pretty disgraceful.
    Weight class?

I think you get off being weighed in if you're pregnant like the 53 year old was.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Fair play to him.

RWCNT wrote: »
    Basically an MMA version of Sunday leauge football. No biggie.

Yeah, football and full contact combat, pretty much the same thing :rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

MrStuffins wrote: »

roy-keane_1342720c.jpg

• Advertisement

jayteecork wrote: »
    roy-keane_1342720c.jpg

That is Roy Keane assaulting Alf Inge Haaland, that is not football.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is my favorite spot the ball photo comp ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

You don't know what the word "equivalent" means.

Anyway, the sooner people stop worrying about people "making the sport look bad" the better. Some people are never going to respect or like the idea of two people fighting one another barefoot inside a cage and that has nothing to do with events of this nature and everything to do with the nature of the sport itself.

You don't know what the word "equivalent" means.

I do.
    Anyway, the sooner people stop worrying about people "making the sport look bad" the better. Some people are never going to respect or like the idea of two people fighting one another barefoot inside a cage and that has nothing to do with events of this nature and everything to do with the nature of the sport itself.

Yeah, you're right! I mean look at Boxing, nobody accepts that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

We don't have to have everybody accepting the sport but we do need the majority of people to view it as an acceptable sport just like Boxing, BJJ, Judo, Soccer etc

1 of the reason's why I feel talking about teens not competing is actually like accepting that it is not a decent sport with good ref's who look after the fighters, instead of saying hang on, we are proud of our sport and it is not a thugs sport, it is for everyone, Kids of age like in Boxing, Ladies and adults who may feel they missed the boat.

This is not Human Cock Fighting it is Martial Arts, just well rounded Martial arts.

Taking randomers from a crowd to fight makes it look like what the press want to portray.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Yeah, you're right! I mean look at Boxing, nobody accepts that!

Not sure what you're point is here? Are you being ironic and you really believe that many people DO accept boxing? If so, then how would something like this be any more detrimental to the image of MMA than toughman competitions or white-collar boxing are to pro boxing? It's not like they plucked the man out of the crowd at a UFC card to fight Jon Jones?!

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Not sure what you're point is here? Are you being ironic and you really believe that many people DO accept boxing? If so, then how would something like this be any more detrimental to the image of MMA than toughman competitions or white-collar boxing are to pro boxing? It's not like they plucked the man out of the crowd at a UFC card to fight Jon Jones?!

I think the point he was making is boxing is a mainstream accepted sport and has a major worldwide following. MMA needs and deserves to get to that level, and things like that video are doing the sport no favours. Toughman competitions and white collar boxing are totally different. This was an mma show where they pulled an overweight 53 year old out of the cage, stuck a pair of gloves on him and let him have a scrap. How many boxing shows have you been to that have done this? None. It's just not done, and is unacceptable really.
    MMA is still a relatively new sport and doing things like this at such an early stage (or at any stage) is too damaging to the sport and only gives people who are opposed to it something else to clutch onto and use against the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

the majority of the people competing at this toughman contest would appear to have just as little training as the lads in that mma clip and these sort of events are far more widespread (wasn't there even a televised toughman series on tv over here a few years ago featuring equally terrible fights?).

I took part in a white-collar event a few years ago after turning up to around three training sessions and you can be assured that I was every bit as unpleasing to the eye from a technical standpoint as that middle-aged man in the mma clip. And it was a packed house where people had paid entry to the show.

I think you're missing the point.
    It's one thing somebody organising an event for people, who have no training in mma, to get in the cage and fight each other. But it's a totally different animal to have a supposedly legitimate sanctioned event and then call up some clearly overweight untrained guy into the cage. Both of which shouldn't be happening imo. It's these type of events that the genuine mma community needs to distance themselves from if they want to gain any credibility.

• Advertisement

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Not sure what you're point is here? Are you being ironic and you really believe that many people DO accept boxing?

My point was, the poster was claiming that the reason that people have a problem with MMA is not because how the sport is perceived, like Human Cock Fighting, No Holds Barred fighting etc, but because of the nature of the sport.

But he is wrong about this. And I used the comparison of Boxing to make that point. SOME people have a problem with Boxing, but it is one of the most mainstream sports in the world, one of the richest in the world, despite being much more brutal than MMA. If i'm not mistaken, there have been more than 100 deaths in professional boxing bouts since 1998. Countless brain injuries also.

Whereas in MMA, there have been more deaths in Soccer in the past 6 months than there have been in MMA in the history of the sport.

The unacceptance of MMA is nothing to do with "The Nature of the Sport". If people were actually educated to MMA, and you completely forget about the Joe Duffy crowd (which we should 100% of the time) then there wouldn't be much said against MMA.

If Boxing is at the level of acceptance it is, there is no reason why MMA could not be, despite the nature of the sport.

Advertisement