Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Powers

Options
13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

msg11 wrote: »
    We will need a refresher at this rate there taking so long to roll them out !

The reason the new powers has not been granted by the Commissioner is that a number of GR's have not attended the up skilling course in the college. Management have now taken this in hand and Sept will be the last chance for GR's to attend. If they dont then the decision will be made regarding their future with the Reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

Raider190 wrote: »
    The reason the new powers has not been granted by the Commissioner is that a number of GR's have not attended the up skilling course in the college. Management have now taken this in hand and Sept will be the last chance for GR's to attend. If they dont then the decision will be made regarding their future with the Reserve

Thats great news raider190. At least it's good that they have now set a final date, and be done with it. Is it early or late September for the last course??

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    Thats great news raider190. At least it's good that they have now set a final date, and be done with it. Is it early or late September for the last course??

Middle of Sept so I am told . So if you know any GR's who havent done the course better let them know last chance for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Middle of Sept so I am told . So if you know any GR's who havent done the course better let them know last chance for them

Funny that, I was just looking over them there yesterday and today just to keep them fresh in my head if I ever decided to use them.

msg11 wrote: »
    Funny that, I was just looking over them there yesterday and today just to keep them fresh in my head if I ever decided to use them.

When the last upskill course finishes in Sept 2013 I would guess that by end of Sept or early Oct the new powers will be granted by the Commissioners.

• Advertisement

blueforce wrote: »
    Can I just ask, people seam extremely keen to get these new powers (me included) but are people going to really seize a car from someone or arrest someone for public order? Remember what is involved with an arrest, the paper work, other offences that might occur when back in the station (drug search + detection, etc), the prospect of going to court, etc. Why would the full time member not be preforming the arrest or seizing the car if it was that bad?

I hear this type of thing all the time. What exactly did you join the Reserve for ???. These new powers will allow GR's to provide a return of work and not just be the anidotale extra pair of hands. You will be expected to exercise your powers with discretion by both your regular colleagues and your senior officers . Otherwise what good are you. The Garda Reserve is entering a new phase of its evolution and it will be up to every single GR's to prove that the critisims that have been levied against us over the last six years have been unfounded. We will be expected to contribute and prove our worth. Remember every Garda member has to make their first arrest and sure it will be a challenge and you will question whether or not you are getting it right, you are not alone, your unit and your SHO will want to make sure you get it right. Take the opportunity to talk to the other members of the unit , find out what the paper work entails and the how the procedures works and write it all down , study it and then put it into practise. We only learn by making mistakes and in order to make those you have to do it in the first place.

I agree with the above, but I don't want to be getting a ear bashing off a full timer if I arrested someone when they wouldn't have and they are dragged back to the station to help me out. I would have no problem using the powers in a situation where other members are arresting people. I do believe most of the time a good talking down to some people and a word of advise settles most people, rather than just arresting out-straight.

We can talk all day about it here, but every situation is different. But the main thing is we are progressing in the Reserve with some basic public order powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Reserves detailed to the stand by unit at matches require you bring a Helmet..
    Has anybody! officially requested one from the stores yet?

Reserves detailed to the stand by unit at matches require you bring a Helmet..
    Has anybody! officially requested one from the stores yet?

Never seen a GR with a helmet . Have been detailed to the stand by unit and never asked to bring a helmet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Never seen a GR with a helmet . Have been detailed to the stand by unit and never asked to bring a helmet

On the detail sheet in our office when it come down, it's there black and white... Persons on Stand by unit must carry PPE helmet...etc etc... Now the majority of lads don't, but I remember one match.. When it kicked off, coins, bottles, lighters... Flying in all directions...
    Sergeant on our unit gave out!!
    What the hell is going on lads ...
    Get out there and double up the line , protection or no protection...
    Read the form that your number is wrote down on at station, another thing we were told - health and safety booklet you don't wear your not covered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Yogi Bear

When the last upskill course finishes in Sept 2013 I would guess that by end of Sept or early Oct the new powers will be granted by the Commissioners.

Any word yet on this?? After the Panel for the full time being dumped, I heard a lot of lads on the panel and in the reserve for years are going to jack in the reserve if the powers dont get granted.

Yogi Bear wrote: »
    Any word yet on this?? After the Panel for the full time being dumped, I heard a lot of lads on the panel and in the reserve for years are going to jack in the reserve if the powers dont get granted.

Rubbish........ No GR who has worked so hard to get in and then worked even harder to get to grips with the job will walk away. We all have worked well without the powers and will work even harder when they are granted.
    Remember the reason the new powers have not been granted, A number of GR's didnt bother to go and attend the Up skill course. They had over a year (the first course occured Nov 2012) to get the course completed .Management were very patient but now the decision has been made .If you did not attend the course held last week then you will now longer qualify to remain within the ranks.

There are a huge number of reserves who complete in excess of 500 to 800 hours of service per year and prove to be a huge asset to their respective units. All over the world, police forces make effective use of their reserve officers. The Metropolitian Special Constabulary has been in place for over 180 years and has a rank structure and the special officers have the same powers and duties as their full time colleagues. The Garda Reserve raison d’etre should never be lost. It supplements its regular colleagues and should be treated no differently from any other support arm of An Garda Siochana.It has a niche role, particularly a surge capacity and the policing of the night-time economy, and in these it is a beacon for uniformed volunteering.Reserves are people who, rather than sitting in front of their televisions, don a uniform and stab vest and spend their free time supporting law and order in an increasingly hostile and disrespectful society. Yet rather than be hailed as heroes they are at best unsung and at worst, dismissed.Im sure that many reserve members feel that they are treated in a number of various way ranging from valued essential to indifference, or worse, disdain. Most volunteer for camaraderie, excitement, as a preamble to becoming a regular member or to be useful but whatever the reason, they are doing something constructive and not just talking about it. In an ideal world greater recognition and the expanded use of reserves would be be a KPI and also a genuine, fundamental rethink of the organisation itself is required in order to maximise its potential. The Reserve was created in 2005/6 so it has a long way to go in comparasion with the UK model but it is very , very slowly moving in the right direction and perhaps within the near future will become what every single reserve member wants it to be , an effective and supportive accepted Garda Siochana resource which is there to support the regular force. We must all recognise that many of the current reserves are the full time garda officers of tomorrow and when they finally enter the Garda Training College they will be experienced , knowledgable , well rounded individuals who have realistic expectations of their future police careers and this cannot be considered a bad thing for both An Garda Siochana or the Irish public and State

Well said Radier190.

I know what I am doing at the moment although limited will benefit further generations of Reserves. And just like the people who helped Metropolitian Special Constabulary 180 years ago faced problems during the initial starting blocks.

To the full time members who give us Reserves the time of day and show us the ropes, well done. Your guidance will give Reserves that gain full time employment a solid start and introduction to AGS and in turn that guidance and support passed to another Reserve member. Everyone knows in AGS people do watch everything, where people just brush of the Reserve in the station and that one member that befriends the Reserve I am pretty sure that won't go unnoticed.

As the new powers are rolled out it will mean that the restriction on GR s regarding the custody and care of prisoners will have to be amended

Anyone have any thoughts

Advertisement