Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreams and Nightmares

Options
  • 28-04-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

So does anyone else like have lucid dreams of nightmares?

had a great apocalyptic nightmare the other night...big disease spreading through the world and fighting for supplies and killing people and stuff...some thrill...

have anyone ever induced such a nightmare?

if not has anyone conquered lucid dreaming even?

(p.s. im not a crazy person)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Honest answer: Don't eat cheese or chocolate before bed. Don't take any 'night time' type medicine. Don't watch any crazy tv before bed.

AH answer: keep taking the tablets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Honest answer: Don't eat cheese or chocolate before bed. Don't take any 'night time' type medicine. Don't watch any crazy tv before bed.

AH answer: keep taking the tablets ;)

you know im trying to keep these dreams? i dont want them to stop, i think they are great craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

eldwaro wrote: »

had a great apocalyptic nightmare the other night...big disease spreading through the world and fighting for supplies and killing people and stuff...some thrill...

Oddly enough I had a pretty ****ed up dream the other night that I was watching a giagntic tsunami rising over the top of buildings and tried to hide from it in an alleyway of all places. Another from the past week was some scumbag stealing my phone, so I murdered him and woke up to find my phone was on charge. Sigh of relief there :D

There's supposed to be meanings in things you see in dreams and nightmares, but I'm not fully convinced myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I used to have three recurring dreams, but since I started taking more control of my life and going to counselling they have stopped.

I do miss the one about murdering my brother though :(

DarkJager wrote: »
    Oddly enough I had a pretty ****ed up dream the other night that I was watching a giagntic tsunami rising over the top of buildings and tried to hide from it in an alleyway of all places. Another from the past week was some scumbag stealing my phone, so I murdered him and woke up to find my phone was on charge. Sigh of relief there :D

There's supposed to be meanings in things you see in dreams and nightmares, but I'm not fully convinced myself.

Yeah I've been studying Freud and Jung for 4 years now, and thing Jung is right when he says dreams mean jack-shíte.

But yeah, like zombie dream...amazing craic! but i doubt it means much :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Dreams are the business! I had one last night where an ATM i was at spewed out cash to me and I was trying to hide it from the person next to me. Woke up this morning saying "fook, they had my card details"...no shiiting....ah dreams...crazy escape....

Dreams are the business! I had one last night where an ATM i was at spewed out cash to me and I was trying to hide it from the person next to me. Woke up this morning saying "fook, they had my card details"...no shiiting....ah dreams...crazy escape....

one i had lately, i cheated on my gf, and killed a family member...then woke up panicing before sighing relief that i hadnt done either...

if i didnt tell a true story here there was a joke to be made.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I only get sleep paralysis, which is horrible.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

go on....

is that when your mind wakes up before your body?

sometimes i feel like as soon as i nod off, im going to pass out and jolt back to awake...

i know sleep/pass out sounds similar...but its a very noticeable tingly feeling that im going to pass out if i dont wake. eventually i fall asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I have had plenty of lucid dreams (dreams where you know your dreaming) but not lucid nightmares. Is there much to distinguish the two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Oh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

That's real nightmare stuff, haven't had it in years myself but it's ****ing horrible. Happens when your brain wakes up before your body as far as I know. It's made even worse when you think there is someone in the room with you but you can't even turn to look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Dreamt I was led out of one of my local pubs with a knife pointed to my back because I wouldn't give someone my sausage sandwich the other night. It looked like a very nice sandwich, so I was damn right not to give it up.:pac:

baz2009 wrote: »
    Dreamt I was led out of one of my local pubs with a knife pointed to my back because I wouldn't give someone my sausage sandwich the other night. It looked like a very nice sandwich, so I was damn right not to give it up.:pac:

bloody love a sausage sambo now...but no sliced bread... FML :P

perhaps the link to weird dreams?

sure may as well get sleep walkers in on this convo too.

its much safer to wake a sleep walker than to leave them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I feel your pain! Can really be a distressing experience. Takes me ages to relax again!

Lucid dreaming is a great experience though!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

go on....

is that when your mind wakes up before your body?

sometimes i feel like as soon as i nod off, im going to pass out and jolt back to awake...

i know sleep/pass out sounds similar...but its a very noticeable tingly feeling that im going to pass out if i dont wake. eventually i fall asleep.
    Yeah basically you're partly awake, but you can't move your body. It's usually accompanied by hallucinations, which can make it pretty scary if you''re not used to it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Yeah, sometimes I have very vivid dreams/nightmares.

Coupla nights ago I dreamt I was smuggling cocaine through an airport. Weird and quite stressful. I wouldn't dream of smuggling drugs. I've never even tried cocaine fwiw.

****ing weird ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Dreams are pretty cool. It's mad how you can dream and wake up with the emotional effects of dreaming and what took place.

Best dream I ever had was when I was 19. Brittany Spears was just on the scean. I could not stand her let it be told however on this particular night I dreamt I was lashing the Fook out of her and blew my load all over her face like scarface unloading his machine gun. She was singing hit me one more time. Woke up feeling really weird and great at the same time.

The dreams I hated was were I would scream and nothing would come out. Messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Was out last night and hungover today. Will not be having nice dreams tonight and may get some sleep paralysis :( Was totally worth it though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Ive had a couple of nightmares this year which were mind bogglingly real. Ive had nightmares before but those two were in a whole new league/scale :eek:

they were the suxor :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I have crazy dreams frequently, it's just difficult to remember them fully, sometimes if im out I will get a de ja voux feeling, only it's relative to the dream I had and I'd immediately remember the dream.

I sleep walk if something is really playing on my mind, in particular I took apart my lamp, I even placed the glass piece onto a cushion so it didn't smash. I was dreaming I was decorating and was taking down a wall speaker, I didn't want it to smash my lamp so I took it apart, when I woke the next morning I was like where the fook is the lamp.. It was in 4 on the floor!
    I frequently unplug stuff which have red lights on them, tv, DVD etc.
    I also visit the bathroom asleep, they only way I know is in the morning if my house coats on the floor I had gone the bathroom, I'd be starkers only for I know to get my house coat!
    For a few weeks there was a lot of rubbish going on so I used to get a roomy to hide my car keys just incase!

The list is endless.

im expecting a full report back tomorrow of all good dreams :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

im expecting a full report back tomorrow of all good dreams :P
    I had a dream a few nights ago that I was in jail for four months. I don't know what I was in jail for but I was innocent. It must have been a low security one because I managed to go on the run with my brother who was a lorry driver?!? (my brother isn't a lorry driver).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I managed to induce one recently, haven't bothered trying since might do tonight now that I read this. I wasn't keen on the feeling of it though, going from awake to sleep, feeling the muscles paralyse, the heart slowing, and a fuzzing in the front of the brain but since I had an epic 3 sum after well worth it and I flew too always good.

Easiest time to do it is in the wee hours 4 or 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I had the stupidest dream a few weeks ago where I thought someone was trying to steal the stripes off my Mini. I don't know how or why and I don't understand why it was so traumatic that I can still remember it. I have way more weird/fun/disturbing dreams than that. It might be telling me I'm paranoid.

I'm going to eat some cheese and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Last year
    I was basically living a day in the life as if I had a big concert that night, it was so lucid it was unreal(well suppose I should say real) I basically was just walking through New York, grabbed a starbucks, met fans and stuff.... :( When I woke up by my dad telling me to get up your in school you will never know how crestfallen I was. I genuinely thought it was real. Surreal stuff, I'd love the dream again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I do enjoy a good nightmare now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

DarkJager wrote: »

Next time you dream about a Tsunami, surf it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

OMG I'd love a cool dream like going to space, is there anyway to influence your dreams?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

EdenHazard wrote: »
    OMG I'd love a cool dream like going to space, is there anyway to influence your dreams?

Cheese

Advertisement