Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepalooza 2012

Options
  • 28-04-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

Castlepalooza Music and Arts Festival taking place at Charleville Castle, Tullamore, Co Offaly over the August bank holiday (August 3 - 5th)

Line-up :

The Charlatans
    Ghoestpoet
    King Charles
    Jape
    Donal Dineen’s Parish
    Solar Bears
    Jon Phonics
    Mmoths
    Little Green Cars
    The Ambience Affair
    Bouts
    Cat Dowling
    Cloud Castle Lake
    Diamond Dagger
    Hush War Cry
    Katie Kim
    Le Galaxie
    Melodica Deathship
    Temper-Mental MissEalayneous
    North Strand Kontra Band
    REID
    Toby Kaar
    Windings
    Young Wonder

For one week only from Friday, April 27, a weekend ticket with camping is €50 plus booking fee.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

that is an amazing line up for E50.

Had i not something on i'd be all over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Not a bad lineup, and only a short hop away from me. I'm seriously considering this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

€50 for 3 days is savage value. I'm doing a bit of research in my sparetime into festivals and where the value is. Hopefully will design a bit of festival budget planner, but undecided as to whether that is lame or not!

Anyway, after years of being ridden by MCD and the likes for every bean they could squeeze it's nice to see the smaller independent festivals still getting it together year after year.

Kudos to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

anyone know how much it will be after next Friday?
    it was €89 last year, not sure if that was 3 days though?

not being allowed to bring your own alcohol to it and having to buy it from the campsite off-licence wipes out any savings made anyway IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

not being allowed to bring your own alcohol to it and having to buy it from the campsite off-licence wipes out any savings made anyway IMO.

Exactly. I might go but that pain in the arse is putting me off a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Looking forward to this. The tiny distance from main stage, to tent stage, to camp-site is great. The lesser known acts were really well supported, partly because of the above I reckon - ie: not a big haul away from your tent in the afternoon. And some of the performances were brilliant. Made a few new local additions to my music library the following week. Good mix of guitary stuff and dancey stuff last year too, which seems to be the case with this line-up. Le Galaxie were my highlight last year. Good to see them back.

Does anyone know do the €60 campervan tickets get a person in aswell, or is it just for the camper and a €50 ticket is needed aswell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 086retro

60 bucks is only for the pleasure of parking ur van next to the tents.. I think its a bit cheeky myself as its gona cost 110 to bring a camper. Am I the only one that thinks this. Don't know how its justified :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's a good fun festival. Been three times and recommend it. I wouldn't be bothered about the alcohol rules. Hardly going to make or break the weekend.

086retro wrote: »
    60 bucks is only for the pleasure of parking ur van next to the tents.. I think its a bit cheeky myself as its gona cost 110 to bring a camper. Am I the only one that thinks this. Don't know how its justified :confused:

they're not likely to check your camper for booze though ;)

• Advertisement

Yea, it's usually about 20 for the spot for most festivals isnt it

Any festival I have been to if campers are allowed in its inclusive in the price or have a charge of between 20 to 30 euro, the no beer makes this one even more expensive and while it is a great little festival, (I have been 3 times) the beer they sell is piss and its not cheap for a slab. Had a slab nicked from my tent last year hence thinking about the van!!! But at 60 euro!!! What am I paying for exactly...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Any festival I have been to if campers are allowed in its inclusive in the price or have a charge of between 20 to 30 euro, the no beer makes this one even more expensive and while it is a great little festival, (I have been 3 times) the beer they sell is piss and its not cheap for a slab. Had a slab nicked from my tent last year hence thinking about the van!!! But at 60 euro!!! What am I paying for exactly...

60 is what EP has always been, Oxegen too IIRC

Only Body & Soul seem to have cheaper campervan tickets at 30.

Simple solution lads, is don't go if you think it's a rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thats right, boards is not for discussion ffs :pac:

subway wrote: »
    thats right, boards is not for discussion ffs :pac:

Oh no it is, but whinging and complaining about a €50 festival is a fruitless exercise.

Piss and moan away lads.

Just to clarify, 110 for a festival with a camper ticket is well worth it. Bring your booze in the camper with you.

Great lineup, even for the €110.

no was whinging and complaining, no one pissed or moaned, are you off your nut?
    the lad said
    But at 60 euro!!! What am I paying for exactly...

its a genuine question, and since its the first year they are letting vans in, who knows.
    they may search the vans, they may park you beside the portaloos at the back of the castle.
    then again, you could bring in kegs and get to camp at the stage if you want.

you should stop "pissing and moaning" about people asking why would it be 120% of the festival ticket price to bring a van in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Looks great for €55. Anyone know what the deal's been with parking the last few years? Free with tickets I assume?

I've had a flick through threads from the last few years and sounds good. Would the general vibe be similar to any other Irish festival for comparison?

60 is what EP has always been, Oxegen too IIRC

Only Body & Soul seem to have cheaper campervan tickets at 30.

Oxygen, EP???? Seriously are you comparing these to palooza???? And its called a discussion not looking for a solution, thanks tho!!!

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Looks great for €55. Anyone know what the deal's been with parking the last few years? Free with tickets I assume?

I've had a flick through threads from the last few years and sounds good. Would the general vibe be similar to any other Irish festival for comparison?

You park in a field about 20 mins walk away. But there's a shuttle bus running most of the time that takes about 5 mins. Parking is free and thats where the camper vans used to stay also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Bawnmore wrote: »

I always compared it to a much much smaller Electric Picnic. Really relaxed crowd, friendly staff and a beautiful venue.

They added a new courtyard stage last year and it quickly turned into my fav section of the festival! Interested to see what the new campsite will be like.

For all those going...caught these two playing the Camden Crawl a few weeks back. Amazing live and should be on your hit list for Castlepalooza:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 booyakasha

i believe u can bring drink onto the Moat camping area(as its off the castle grounds) providing its not in a glass bottle...i could be wrong tho.

map.html

lovely chilled out festival&great value!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Sack

Hello all,

My band 'In The Willows' have just secured a place at Castlepalooza. We've only been gigging 6 months so we'd love to see as many faces possible come see us. Our debut EP is available for free here http://inthewillows.bandcamp.com

You can find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/inthewillows and Twitter too https://twitter.com/#!/TheInTheWillows

Here's a few videos of us:

Wake Me If I'm Asleep

We Won't Be Found

It's Over

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

I have a little festivals site (Festivals.ie) and am running a competition to give 2 weekend tickets away for Castlepalooza. As the site is new and not much awareness of it, there's a better than usual chance of entrants winning the tickets.

I guess this might be seen as shilling on my own behalf, and I guess it is, but then at least it's in a relevant section and it's a genuine competition so maybe the moderators will have clemency based on that?! I suppose I'll find out soon enough. :rolleyes:

Castlepalooza Competition is here

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WillPainter

...the beer they sell is piss and its not cheap for a slab. Had a slab nicked from my tent last year hence thinking about the van!!!

Do tent robbings be a regular thing at Castlepalooza? It was a nightmare at EP last year. Didn't feel safe all weekend.

On another note, tell me about the moat. I see tickets are €35 cheaper there than castle camping, does there be a bad crowd in this site?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WillPainter

Oh and the cans, tell me how much a slab is please. 20 for €30 sounds reasonable, but I doubt it's that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Oh and the cans, tell me how much a slab is please. 20 for €30 sounds reasonable, but I doubt it's that cheap.

24 for €60

Do tent robbings be a regular thing at Castlepalooza? It was a nightmare at EP last year. Didn't feel safe all weekend.

On another note, tell me about the moat. I see tickets are €35 cheaper there than castle camping, does there be a bad crowd in this site?
    never heard of a tent robbing at castlepalooza
    this is the first year for the moat so no one knows exactly what it will be like, but its more than likely going to be a very good laugh

this festival isnt like EP, its tiny, you can walk across all 3 sites and both stages in about 3 mins. because of this, the atmosphere is more like a party in someones (very big) back garden. you dont have wandering gangs of eejits because they dont have anywhere to wander unseen

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Does anyone know the best/cheapest means of travel to the festival from Dublin aside from the bus that departs from Dublin to Castlepalooza on the Friday?? I'm working on Friday so catching that bus is out of the question but I was hoping to travel on Saturday.
    I'd appreciate if anyone had any info. :)

• Advertisement

you dont need to take the private bus service, you can get a regular bus from busaras or the train from heuston, plenty of options.
    its a short walk to the site, or just grab a taxi up if you are lazy :)

214346.JPG
    214347.JPG

Advertisement