Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lorna Byrne on the Late Late Show

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I didn't like the way that Tubridy was humouring her. As if that what she was saying could be true. Instead, he should have taken the side of scepticism.

I think that's part of the problem. People put scepticism in the same category as someone who is denying it, rather than someone who just wants evidence either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

In Tubridy's defence, he did more or less ask if anyone in the audience wanted to have a go at contradicting her. Unfortunately I wasn't there and no one else was willing :mad:.

I remember a blind psychic on the late late a few years ago and a woman in the audience ( a nurse I think) did have a go, said it was 'car crash tv'. Got a massive round of applause from the rest of the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

He was the same with your woman from Medjugorje (Vicka Ivankovic-Mijatovic)

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/02/19/holy-mary-asks-visionary-whos-this-haskins-dude/

Truly embarassing stuff to watch, and again Tubbs pretty much gave her free reign for the whole interview.

Even Google cant find the actual video, thats how bad it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

furiousox wrote: »
    Look, the LLS has an audience that applauds joe coleman and laughs at richard dawkins, so..y'know, that's what you're up against.

What I found sort of funny is that there was cheering in the audience for Dawkins. But they didn't seem to actually like him, i'm still adamant that they're all pumped full of hard drugs and have absolutely no idea where they are. Astonishing how rude Tubridy was to him in the interview, basically said that he didn't give a **** about his book and would prefer to discuss the old one. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Corkfeen wrote: »
    What I found sort of funny is that there was cheering in the audience for Dawkins. But they didn't seem to actually like him, i'm still adamant that they're all pumped full of hard drugs and have absolutely no idea where they are. Astonishing how rude Tubridy was to him in the interview, basically said that he didn't give a **** about his book and would prefer to discuss the old one. :eek:

Tubridy wheeled out his old UCD professor Fr. Brendan Purcell to tackle Dawkins during one of those interviews as well. Tubbers of course learned his own BS style when he was in the L&H way back when.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭comeback_kid

Corkfeen wrote: »

dawkins while fascinating and engaging is not what you would call a nice guy or as having the common touch , thier is an arrogance about him which rubs people up the wrong way , he doesnt believe he should go out of his way one iota to try and make people warm to his possition , he could do with taking a leaf out of that cox guys book

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

dawkins while fascinating and engaging is not what you would call a nice guy or as having the common touch , thier is an arrogance about him which rubs people up the wrong way , he doesnt believe he should go out of his way one iota to try and make people warm to his possition , he could do with taking a leaf out of that cox guys book

I really don't think that's fair. Dawkins is perfectly polite in most circumstances and was very much so on the Late Late, especially when you consider how rude and dismissive the host was to him. In most cases when he is being interviewed for TV there is an ingrained hostility toward him from the word go. I think he does very well to stay as calm and polite as he usually does. I remember after his Late Late interview my mother, who had thought he would be a rude and arrogant atheist type, was surprised at how well he carried himself and how nice he seemed.
    I think a lot of this 'arrogance' associated with Dawkins is more to do with people's pre-made perceptions of him and disapproval of his position on God/religion than anything he actually does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭Adamas

Traces wrote: »
    To think that is available around the world - CRINGE.

Yup, it's one of our best 'exports' ...a really class act - you can't get stuff of that calibre just anywhere.

I hear the IDA are opening a spare parts factory for angels too...God willing ;)

Galvasean wrote: »
    I really don't think that's fair. Dawkins is perfectly polite in most circumstances and was very much so on the Late Late, especially when you consider how rude and dismissive the host was to him. In most cases when he is being interviewed for TV there is an ingrained hostility toward him from the word go. I think he does very well to stay as calm and polite as he usually does. I remember after his Late Late interview my mother, who had thought he would be a rude and arrogant atheist type, was surprised at how well he carried himself and how nice he seemed.
    I think a lot of this 'arrogance' associated with Dawkins is more to do with people's pre-made perceptions of him and disapproval of his position on God/religion than anything he actually does.

politeness and arrogance are not mutually exclusive , i like dawkins but he is a bit of a cold fish which most people dont like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Fcuking disrespectful little pup. Would it kill him to address him as Professor Richard Dawkins?

I'm sure if he had a bishop or senior clergy member he would address them properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

politeness and arrogance are not mutually exclusive , i like dawkins but he is a bit of a cold fish which most people dont like

I suppose he could wear his cap sideways and sit on his chair backwards and get down with the youth....

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

She should be put in Lomans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Anyone know where I can see the clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

A cold fish? What's that got to do with anything? He isn't in the entertainment business, he isn't a stand up comedian. As Galvasean previously said he does well to actually remain as polite and composed as he does in the face of outright hostility a lot of the time, and in Tubridy's case a hostile host who also happens to be an absolute douchebag that would beat Dawkins 5-0 in any arrogance contest.

Dawkins actually does well not to fly into a murderous rage at times with the level of arrogance, hostility and contempt he so often has to endure from his interviewers, some of them much worse than Tubridy, especially in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'm glad I missed that on the LLS. I just can't stand Tubridy, who is close to where Gaybo was on the smarminess scale and the show is usually a load of crap anyway.:rolleyes:

I keep wondering when the next wave of moving statues will hit Ireland and some of our weirdest indigenous nutbars will be on screen making total eejits of themselves.:D

A lot of the whack-jobs who appear on the show sort of fall into the category of entertainment - the seventh son of a seventh son who picks up a handful of clay and the worms in it die, the guy who cures warts by breathing on them, you name it, there's a "human interest" thing there and what harm if it takes simple-minded people's minds away from reality for a while?:rolleyes:

But the likes of Lorna Byrne are just vendors of myths and superstition and for them it is a big business. She has a web site and look at how many books in how many languages are on sale. Any anchorperson more deserving of the name "journalist" than Tubridy would have asked her how much she's earning with the angels and where she is declaring her income and paying her taxes.:)

It really grates that a cunning businesswoman like her is receiving a big subsidy from the Irish taxpayer in the form of a big long commercial on a peak-time TV show.:mad:

http://www.lornabyrne.com/update.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

She was flaky as be-damned. I dont know how anyone buys that tripe tbh. Hilarious moment when one audience member challenged her and he was told he had "no angels" beside him. Oooooh, nasty ;) Bet he's sorry now :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Now I have more time for Eddie Lenihan.
    At least the Kerryman tells his blood curdling tall tales of the foul doings of the Fairy Folk with a nod and a wink:

Galvasean wrote: »
    I suppose he could wear his cap sideways and sit on his chair backwards and get down with the youth....

someink like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    She was flaky as be-damned. I dont know how anyone buys that tripe tbh. Hilarious moment when one audience member challenged her and he was told he had "no angels" beside him. Oooooh, nasty ;) Bet he's sorry now :p

Flaky :D best description ever.

As regards to Ryan Tubs I always remember the "not nice" treatment of Joe Coleman (regardless of beliefs) and a few weeks later Tubridy interviewed Una OHagan's ex husband (can't remember his name) about people's premonitions or dreams or something and Tubs was falling over himself being nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Just watched it on RTE player starts from around 1:22:30 if anyone else interested.

She is obviously away with the birds, and by the looks of it so are a fair few of the audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jkram

Sorry not to have seen this thread earlier.

I too saw TLLS with Lorna Byrne and was very annoyed about it. I can't believe these people still get airtime and an easy time from the host.
    Not one difficult or piercing question was asked. The same week, on the news, there was a sad story about a little boy who died after falling over the balcony of his apartment. I was willing either Tubridy or someone in the audience thought to ask Lorna where was the little boy's guardian angel as he clambered over the railing - Her answer would have been very interesting bit nobody asked. It was such an obvious question to hopefully help reveal Lorna Byrne for the fraudster she is.

I also saw the shameful "interview" with Dawkins. Like him or loathe him his is always an interesting and intellectual discussion - well, unfrotunately not on TLLS. The "interview" was short, Tubridy was unprofessional towards Dawkins who, to give him credit, took it in a very good natured way. It was telling of the intention of Tubridy and RTE that the priest in the audience got more talk time than Dawkins who was after all the interviewee! Disgraceful!
    I complained by email after the show but was wasting my time.

Advertisement