Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lorna Byrne on the Late Late Show

Options
  • 27-04-2012 11:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

I just could not get over the stupidity of the audience that they clap this lying charlatan. She started off by talking about seeing angels with cameras in the audience. Tubbers of course missed the obvious questions:
    "What make of cameras?"
    "What do the angels look like?"
    He should have had a sketch artist to help her reconstruct their faces.
    There was an 18 year old up the North last night I think who got knee capped - where was his angel? There was train crash on the continent during the week that caused the death of a passenger. So were the angels on holiday? A guy was robbed and burned to death in Kerry. No angels there either?
    Some obese lady in the audience (an obvious plant) starts pleading for the mystic to ask for the angels to help her sick husband.
    A show of hands in the audience showed that a significant minority believed her and the majority were afraid to put their hands up.
    Reminds you of how things were in Nazi Germany eh? Don't make trouble and just pretend the Emperor has clothes.
    After this lying BS artist finishes talking infantile twaddle she gets a big clap.
    It makes you want to get sick in your hands doesn't it?:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

Well she is a looney who went a bit mad when the husband died i think.Either that or she is making money off the poor and lonely people who are vunerable.I see angels and dead people pffftt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Tom Cruise wrote: »
    Well she is a looney who went a bit mad when the husband died i think.Either that or she is making money off the poor and lonely people who are vunerable.I see angels and dead people pffftt

But you believe we are all possessed by alien souls don't you Tom? Keep jumping on couches mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tom Cruise

Well scientology says so but i just want to milk people for cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Traces

Just watched this on RTE player in the UK and have to say what an absolute embarrassment. The fact that the unbelievers who were there to 'add a little bit of balance' asked pretty much the same questions as the deluded idiots who were looking for information off a woman who just told them they were surrounded by cameraman/cameraperson angels just beggars belief. Was there not one articulate person in that audience to take her to task? As for Tubridy - I have seen him absolutely grill guests like Richard Dawkins - why did she get the red carpet and kid gloves? She is clearly either psychotic or very very dim. I don't want to be nasty but she did mention the word 'retarded' when talking about her childhood. Letting that hokum pass without one decent challenging question from either the host or the audience makes Irish people look like a slow witted dumb bunch of imbeciles who will swallow any old superstitious crap once it's wrapped in some wishy washy cod 'spiritual' rhetoric. To think that is available around the world - CRINGE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Traces wrote: »
    ... Letting that hokum pass without one decent challenging question from either the host or the audience makes Irish people look like a slow witted dumb bunch of imbeciles who will swallow any old superstitious crap once it's wrapped in some wishy washy cod 'spiritual' rhetoric. To think that is available around the world - CRINGE.

No doubt true but don't forget that you are talking about people who would voluntarily spend their friday night going to the Late Late Show. Hopes are not high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Tubrity confidently grills Dawkins on one show and treats a fuckwit charlatan with kid gloves on another.

Stay classy you watery little overpaid weasel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Next week Ryan will be interviewing the mortgage debt relief nurse so she can show us how to pray to holy god to get let off on our mortgages. Ryan will be given us his considered opinion on how the free will argument applies to starving abused African kids but not the mortgages of Irish nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Just watched this now, very hard to not get very angry......angels unemployed, angels with administrative skills (holding papers)...lunacy
    if people believe this stuff they deserve their money being taken from them. This is the worst expenditure of taxpayers money since the bank guarantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

heres an interview back in 2008, the coments are shocking, probably all yanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kJLVU3_V8Q

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Do the Late Late have to interview at least one crazy angel lady per year or something?
    I remember Pat Kenny interviewing one a few years ago. He looked bemused throughout and too polite or embarrassed to call her out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Tubrity confidently grills Dawkins on one show and treats a fuckwit charlatan with kid gloves on another.

Confidently grilled? Tubridy has no such ability. Tubridy let his personal distaste for Dawkins shine through, asked him a bunch of inane questions over and over again because he didn't like/didn't believe the answers. Eventually had to ask Dawkins about what he was there to talk about, his book on evolution, after Dawkins reminded him of that about 8 times. And was left in stunned disbelief when the monk he had in the audience to discredit Dawkins responded with answers along the lines of, of course I believe in evolution it's scientifically proven.

Tubs just clearly has some sort of religious faith and is personally affronted by atheism. But he didn't interview Dawkins well and it's no surprise he didn't interview this woman well either as he has never in the history of ever interviewed anyone well. He's Alan Partridge come to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Why does RTE still exist? That is all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

snafuk35 wrote: »
    I just could not get over the stupidity of the audience that they clap this lying charlatan.

I think this guy had it pretty much spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

iguana wrote: »
    Confidently grilled?

Confidently but not competently.

He does a terrible job of the interview but he's entirely comfortable in himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

iguana wrote: »

Confidently grilled? Tubridy has no such ability. Tubridy let his personal distaste for Dawkins shine through, asked him a bunch of inane questions over and over again because he didn't like/didn't believe the answers. Eventually had to ask Dawkins about what he was there to talk about, his book on evolution, after Dawkins reminded him of that about 8 times. And was left in stunned disbelief when the monk he had in the audience to discredit Dawkins responded with answers along the lines of, of course I believe in evolution it's scientifically proven.

Tubs just clearly has some sort of religious faith and is personally affronted by atheism. But he didn't interview Dawkins well and it's no surprise he didn't interview this woman well either as he has never in the history of ever interviewed anyone well. He's Alan Partridge come to life.
    I'd like to have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Nevore wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Nevore wrote: »

Looks like I got in before myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

doomed wrote: »
    Traces wrote: »
    ... Letting that hokum pass without one decent challenging question from either the host or the audience makes Irish people look like a slow witted dumb bunch of imbeciles who will swallow any old superstitious crap once it's wrapped in some wishy washy cod 'spiritual' rhetoric. To think that is available around the world - CRINGE.

No doubt true but don't forget that you are talking about people who would voluntarily spend their friday night going to the Late Late Show. Hopes are not high.

late late is being recorded somewhere midweek afternoon if i am not mistaken sie not much of an effort there :-)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

late late is being recorded somewhere midweek afternoon if i am not mistaken sie not much of an effort there :-)

Most of it is still filmed live on Friday night but for the last couple of years certain segments, especially a lot of those with the more famous guests, are pre-recorded in front of a different audience. I rarely watch the show but it's not that unusual lately to see the camera pan over completely different audiences during one show.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

If I see tubs in public I'm going to ask him politely if he could ask his guardian angel to stop masturbating in public. What's to stop anyone proclaiming to have this angel seeing gift?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I hate Ryan Tubrity.. he is an appalling interviewer.

I wish I had his political connections

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭furiousox

Look, the LLS has an audience that applauds joe coleman and laughs at richard dawkins, so..y'know, that's what you're up against.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

There were better things to be watching Friday night.
    If I don't like it I won't watch it.
    Myself and the Spaghetti Monster were drinking Russell's Tea from the flying T Pot.

Come on I don't even watch the Late Late show.

Laura Byrne is a fictional writer, she was promoting her books.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

snafuk35 wrote: »
    I just could not get over the stupidity of the audience that they clap this lying charlatan. She started off by talking about seeing angels with cameras in the audience. Tubbers of course missed the obvious questions:
    "What make of cameras?"
    "What do the angels look like?"
    He should have had a sketch artist to help her reconstruct their faces.
    There was an 18 year old up the North last night I think who got knee capped - where was his angel? There was train crash on the continent during the week that caused the death of a passenger. So were the angels on holiday? A guy was robbed and burned to death in Kerry. No angels there either?
    Some obese lady in the audience (an obvious plant) starts pleading for the mystic to ask for the angels to help her sick husband.
    A show of hands in the audience showed that a significant minority believed her and the majority were afraid to put their hands up.
    Reminds you of how things were in Nazi Germany eh? Don't make trouble and just pretend the Emperor has clothes.
    After this lying BS artist finishes talking infantile twaddle she gets a big clap.
    It makes you want to get sick in your hands doesn't it?:mad:

Does it? Does it really?

Also, how did you detect the fear of the silent majority from a show of hands?
    I didn't see the show, but i think you're either wildly exagerating or else your grasp of history is as shaky as Lorna Byrnes grasp on sanity!:D

The woman is quite obviously mad though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

With regards this Lorna Byrne character is she a lying charlatan or a seriously deluded fool who believes her own bs? I think it's an important distinction to make, whether the person is a deliberate liar or actually has something akin to a mental illness. In her case I go with lying charlatan.

As for Tubridy, he never ceases to amaze me with just how bad he is at his job. 500K per year to be completely incompetent. Unbelieveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

The most ridiculous interview I have ever heard on the LLS...

What sort of camera's do Angels have?

In all fairness......He should have wiped the floor with that woman. If you believe in Guardian Angels fair enough that's your own business ....But I never heard tell of "unemployed" GA's....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GaryBrophy

Weather you choose to watch it or not the Late Late show has an impact on a significant proportion of Irish society and also reflects a view of Irish society to a wider global audience. That fact that this show allowed a woman to speak unchallenged about seeing invisible people and passed it off as a serious interview shows complete contempt for an intelligent Irish society. We should expect more from our public broadcaster. My only hope is that this appalling interview encourages more people to either stop watching the Late Late Show or direct the complaints directly to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

LORNA BYRNE- "I was considered retarded as a child..."

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

That's part 1. Part 2:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Liamario wrote: »
    LORNA BYRNE- "I was considered retarded as a child..."

*cough*
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Do the Late Late have to interview at least one crazy angel lady per year or something?
    I remember Pat Kenny interviewing one a few years ago. He looked bemused throughout and too polite or embarrassed to call her out.

Judging by the "retarded" comment she made, I think it's the same woman.

The woman also made some dodgy comment about when she was a child and a man "visiting her" in some private location.
    I felt sorry for her and angry at RTE that they would parade around this woman who clearly has some mental health issues and needs some help.
    And now they appear to have done it again?

Advertisement