Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT and Paddy Spec Cars!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Ford specs are pretty similar between here and the UK. Which model/options are you looking for?

i don't think thats true. A few years ago I bought a Focus Ghioa nd all it had exrtra on it were a couple of bits of chrome. I replaced it with a Mondeo and they couldn't even supply a Ghia. Not only that they had no idea what an "X pack" was.

Historically Ford specs here are very poor compared with the UK. Probably the same with other manufacturers. (Ironically though a Mk2 Cortina 1600E was a better spec here than in the UK.)Ironic because it wasn't built in Cork at all...imported from Dagenham))

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Fairly common here, but rarer than the mainstream models. It takes a bit of searching to find the right one though;)

What you talkin bout willis!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Anan1 wrote: »
    StudentDad wrote: »
    Oh get off the stage, the dog in the street knows that if this import tax was abolished the bubble that is the Irish car market would pop like a party balloon and Irish citizens would have access to the UK market, unfettered. God forbid that would happen!

SD
    What does this even mean?:)

It means that for most people, between the tax, VRT, VAT, stamp duty, etc arbitrary oh your car has a strange non standard extra tax, People are locked into a bubble market that is wholly unfair and designed to screw Irish citizens.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It means that for most people, between the tax, VRT, VAT, stamp duty, etc arbitrary oh your car has a strange non standard extra tax, People are locked into a bubble market that is wholly unfair and designed to screw Irish citizens.

SD
    What a fluid rant - you start with car specifications, move through VRT and now you're on to stamp duty. What's a bubble market?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Boring, same old un-informed started-as-a-rant-about-spec-turned-into-VRT-rant-thread.

We've had these threads before, they go around in the same circles.

- VRT is illegal
    - The EU is running Ireland
    - The UK market is a bajillion times better that Ireland
    - UK cars are better
    - blah blah blah

If you don't like VRT, don't buy a car. Otherwise bite the bullet cos guess what? It ain't going away. In fact it's probably gonna get worse.

BTW OP, you still haven't told us what model Focus you are looking at, and what the differences are between the Irish and UK model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Oh get off the stage, the dog in the street knows that if this import tax was abolished the bubble that is the Irish car market would pop like a party balloon and Irish citizens would have access to the UK market, unfettered. God forbid that would happen!

SD

IF there was no VRT and cars were now the same price and spec as the UK, why would people be going to the UK for cars exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

IF there was no VRT and cars were now the same price and spec as the UK, why would people be going to the UK for cars exactly?

Certainly the used car market opens up majorly.

Certainly the used car market opens up majorly.

Is the thread not about new cars though?

The bulk of used imports from the UK would be up to about 15 years old max I'd say so within 10-15 years that practice would stop too.

Is the thread not about new cars though?

The bulk of used imports from the UK would be up to about 15 years old max I'd say so within 10-15 years that practice would stop too.

Exactly, so why doesn't it make sense?

Exactly, so why doesn't it make sense?

To get rid of it? Lost revenue.

The country is currently running something like a €15b deficit. Thats for day to day running, nothing to do with the banks (rabble rabble rabble).

Money coming in is always better than no money coming in.

• Advertisement

The country is currently running something like a €15b deficit. Thats for day to day running, nothing to do with the banks (rabble rabble rabble).

This whole idea of lost revenue is negligible though - it's something that will level itself out in the long run with more people buying new cars, etc.

This whole idea of lost revenue is negligible though - it's something that will level itself out in the long run with more people buying new cars, etc.

This all boils down to greed - on the part of govt. who want cash - on the part of importers who decide what cars come into the country - this country joined the EEC - not the Cash for Favours Club - we should have access to the wider European market for everything including cars as citizens of the EU and not get screwed by our national govt. because we deign to spend outside their jurisdiction. We are people not Economic Units

At the end of the day it seems to point to the fact that govt. and other interest groups want to control the flow of cars into this country and milk the indigenous driver for all he's worth!

Without VRT and other taxes we would be free to shop anywhere in the EU for our cars, the UK is good because they drive on the same side as us.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So do you reckon the distributors make more margin on a basic model than a high spec model?

They sell what people will buy. simple as that.

The VRT would have to be paid either way, so if the Irish distributors are ripping people off, then go to the UK and get your high spec yoke.

Are you actually in the market for a new car?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So do you reckon the distributors make more margin on a basic model than a high spec model?

Th.e VRT would have to be paid either way, so if the Irish distributors are ripping people off, then go to the UK and get your high spec yoke.

I am, but I'm waiting to see what the govt. does in the next budget.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

2nd hand car prices on main land Europe are way higher than ours, yet only a few have high VRT like charges.

Another problem is that Irish people are more interested in the plate than the car, just look at the D threads, so they want a cheap new car every few years than buy a decent motor to keep.

Ask the average Paddy what they drive and the answer will usually be a Turbo Diesel, cause the Motor Tax is low. The fact that the car is totally unsuitable for their needs can't be beaten into their heads.

The dealers,and the cars they sell, are a result of the buyers not the just taxes

I am, but I'm waiting to see what the govt. does in the next budget.

SD

I'd buy now. There is no way in hell any taxes are coming down and the farcical CO2 rates are heading way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The VRT would have to be paid either way, so if the Irish distributors are ripping people off, then go to the UK and get your high spec yoke.

Exactly, you only have to look at BMW as a case in point to see the difference in priorities.

Irish and UK spec cars have been identical since 2004, so the OP can't play the 'Irish spec cars are worse' card here. If anything ours have a better spec because ours have kph clocks.

In the UK the 320d is the best selling model, over 50% of 3 series sold there are 320ds. In backward old Ireland they expect 75% of 3 series buyers to go for the poverty spec 316ds with that ultra powerful 114 bhp engine:rolleyes:.

We get $h!t spec cars with rubbish low powered engines because that's all we buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I think if people wanted to fight vet they'd have to challenge the market revenue use for setting their omsp; revenue basically use only britain and Ireland, we are in a common market, i'd look at prices in Romania and Estonia.

Of the last two cars I bought, one I priced in england, and after adding vrt/vat it was EUR50 cheaper here ( an anomoly, the latest model is almost 10k dearer than the model I bought. in 2008)

The other car I priced in Austria ( I found a link) it would have been 430 euros cheaper to buy it there, but the scrap page deal here by dealers over and above the vet reduction and the cost of getting to and from Austria meant we bought here.

I'd have an issue with the vet rate on new cars, it doesn't seem to be reduced for scrap page schemes or even driving a hard bargain with a dealer, but set for a model by the distributer and revenue.

Also the whole VAT thing is another area to attack. If I buy a car in Newry and pay vat in Down, I'm supposed to pay vat again along with vrt here...

I think if people wanted to fight vet they'd have to challenge the market revenue use for setting their omsp; revenue basically use only britain and Ireland,

they don't use UK prices to determine OMSP, just Irish.

I think if people wanted to fight vet they'd have to challenge the market revenue use for setting their omsp; revenue basically use only britain and Ireland, we are in a common market, i'd look at prices in Romania and Estonia.

Of the last two cars I bought, one I priced in england, and after adding vrt/vat it was EUR50 cheaper here ( an anomoly, the latest model is almost 10k dearer than the model I bought. in 2008)

The other car I priced in Austria ( I found a link) it would have been 430 euros cheaper to buy it there, but the scrap page deal here by dealers over and above the vet reduction and the cost of getting to and from Austria meant we bought here.

I'd have an issue with the vet rate on new cars, it doesn't seem to be reduced for scrap page schemes or even driving a hard bargain with a dealer, but set for a model by the distributer and revenue.

Also the whole VAT thing is another area to attack. If I buy a car in Newry and pay vat in Down, I'm supposed to pay vat again along with vrt here...

You only pay VAT once in the EU, there's a form you fill in and give to the dealer to buy VAT free or you can reclaim it from the country of purchase.

The scrapeage scheme here was an expensive farce as we don't have a motor industry to protect, even the UK and US schemes mainly benefited South East Asia, and the garages are struggling even more now.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    You only pay VAT once in the EU, there's a form you fill in and give to the dealer to buy VAT free or you can reclaim it from the country of purchase.

The scrapeage scheme here was an expensive farce as we don't have a motor industry to protect, even the UK and US schemes mainly benefited South East Asia, and the garages are struggling even more now.

Well the way car sales are going we'll be able to pick up a nice shiny new car with every 10 tokens from boxes of Kelloggs Cornflakes :)

SD

You'll probably still be giving out that the cornflakes from the uk are better :D

You'll probably still be giving out that the cornflakes from the uk are better :D

Unfortunately they probably will be :D

Matchbox? Better suspension on the Matchbox models =P

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

pcardin wrote: »
    I love your sentence. :D So afterall it isn't so fairly common here?

Yes they are but not as common as a zetec or style. Not too hard to find.
    corktina wrote: »
    i don't think thats true. A few years ago I bought a Focus Ghioa nd all it had exrtra on it were a couple of bits of chrome. I replaced it with a Mondeo and they couldn't even supply a Ghia. Not only that they had no idea what an "X pack" was.

Historically Ford specs here are very poor compared with the UK. Probably the same with other manufacturers. (Ironically though a Mk2 Cortina 1600E was a better spec here than in the UK.)Ironic because it wasn't built in Cork at all...imported from Dagenham))

I think in recent years things have come in line significantly.
    Chriscl1 wrote: »
    What you talkin bout willis!?!?!

Read it again with the above and see if that works.

Advertisement