Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

List of car models that have the isofix anchors fitted as standard

Options
  • 26-04-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

This has probably been done but I can't find a list anywhere.

I need to buy a used car to accommodate an isofix base and i want a car that has the anchors factory fitted. Does anybody know if a list exists ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You probably wont get them with the anchors factory fitted but as of 2005 onwards most makes and models have the necessary mounting points for the anchors--usually sold as an after market accessory.

Volvos from late 05 on have 4 threaded holes in the floor behind the rear seats that you bolt the isofix brackets into.As do any of the 05 on Fords Ive come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My 08 Audi has the anchors fitted. They were standard fitment from factory.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My 01 E46 has them as did my 06 Vectra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

It's not quite that simple as some are Universal, some are Semi Universal and some are vehicle specific.

This page has a good description and links to the seat manufacturers where you can check. http://www.isofixshop.co.uk/using-isofix.htm

FWIW, we had an isofix base for a group 0 seat, but when the little fella out grew it we got a Maxi Cosi Axiss which uses the belt, but swivels around so it's easier to use. If you're not going to be taking it out of the car regularly ISOFIX not going to be a big deal.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well Isofix is not just for the start, I've used it up until the current seat for a four year old. Isofix and belt is way better than belt along in that class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

05 Accord Exec has the seat base and parcel shelf anchors.

I read on here I think that Ford don't fit the anchors as standard until the 09 or 10 models. I'm open to correction on that though.

delly wrote: »
    Well Isofix is not just for the start, I've used it up until the current seat for a four year old. Isofix and belt is way better than belt along in that class.

I don't see the advantage unless you're constantly moving it from car to car. The Axiss has a ratchet mechanism that takes up the slack in the belt. Once it's in it's not budging. I couldn't find a swivel one with ISOFIX.

stimpson wrote: »
    I don't see the advantage unless you're constantly moving it from car to car. The Axiss has a ratchet mechanism that takes up the slack in the belt. Once it's in it's not budging. I couldn't find a swivel one with ISOFIX.

For real? Isofix doesn't exist for the advantage of the parent, its in the event af accident, it holds the seat back better with Isofix. If you have ever seen crash tests, the force on a child seat can pull it far forward even with a belt. Isofix helps to stop this.

The belt is designed to stop fully grown adults and most modern cars have pre tensioners. Like I said there is a ratchet mechanism to take the slack. There is absolutely no movement when correctly fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The belt is designed to stop fully grown adults and most modern cars have pre tensioners. Like I said there is a ratchet mechanism to take the slack. There is absolutely no movement when correctly fitted.

Belt vs attached directly to the chassis? There is no contest here even with the belt being attached right

• Advertisement

Yeah, looks quiet good tbh, but I'd settle for metal arms and belt over belt alone. Even with the tension maxxed on the belt, there has to be some movement at extreme forces, whereas the Isofix metal arms can't extend a millimetre.

Just a case of differing opinions, so agree to disagree so to speak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Volvos from late 05 on have 4 threaded holes in the floor behind the rear seats that you bolt the isofix brackets into.As do any of the 05 on Fords Ive come across.

Yep, I got it retrofitted to my 05 Volvo V50 (was a bit surprised it wasn't standard). My wife's 2002 Peugeot 206 LX has them as standard.

I know that my 2000 525 didn't have them as the buyer checked for them, but don't know about any of my other cars.

We were given a seatbelt fitted baby seat too, but prefer using the ISOFIX base and moving it between our cars.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Belt vs attached directly to the chassis? There is no contest here even with the belt being attached right

What do you think the belts are attached to?

Whatcar tested 16 seats and it came 4th:
    http://m.whatcar.com/car-news/child-seat-supertest/4th-bebe-confort-axiss--199-99/232732

And on the ISOFIX VS belt they said:
    Once you've read a seat's instructions, or been shown how to fit it by qualified in-store staff, seatbelt designs really aren't that difficult to use and are no less secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Too much chance of the belt secured seat being incorrectly fitted. There are thousands of kids being driven around in death traps. I've seen lots of seats that a good tug will move sideways etc. Much harder to go wrong with isofix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

We spent the extra getting an isofix base and the peace of mind it provides is money well spent.

Base is fitted and cannot move.
    Seat clicks in and cannot move.
    Baby is strapped in and has minimum movement without being completely immobile.

If you have a well fitted seat with belt restraints only, then the harness holding junior you've got 2 belt restraint systems, each with some level of 'give'.

If you can argue that is better than (or even as good as) isofix units, you really haven't thought about it in the context of the safety of your own kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Most cars from 04/05ish on have them; some earlier. Perhaps the most notable exception is the Ford Focus, which didn't get them until 2010 I think; they can be easily added though.

mickdw wrote: »
    Too much chance of the belt secured seat being incorrectly fitted. There are thousands of kids being driven around in death traps. I've seen lots of seats that a good tug will move sideways etc.

Yeah, me too. there are plenty of car seats out there with just a clip to keep the seat attached to the belt. The one I recommended doesn't move when the tensioner is used, and is practically foolproof to fit. As regards fitting, it's much easier to check that the straps holding the child are secure when you can swivel the chair around. I've seen my nephew free himself from the straps of his ISOFIX seat because his belt wasn't fully tightened.

Anyway, as there is no Euro ncap for baby seats, the best I could find was the german AA - adac.de. Google Translate sez:
    The heavy seat missed the ADAC judgment "good" relatively scarce.
    The multi-stage sizing of children's belts, without having to unthread the harness brings benefits.

strengths

Security
    good belt routing
    The child seat can be very well connected to the vehicle

Operation
    Low risk of operational errors
    Installing and Securing the child easy because the mounted seat can be rotated to the side
    Easy to follow instructions and warnings

comfort
    Very good leg support
    good padding
    Good visibility for the child to the outside

Cleaning / processing
    The seat cover can be washed in the machine
    Very good workmanship

Weaknesses

security
    Average stress values ​​in the front and side crash
    Back support for big kids too low

operation
    Seat installation time consuming
    heavy seat

Cleaning / processing
    The cover is difficult to remove

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

All Toyota Avensis from 2003 onwards have Isofix as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Eoin wrote: »
    2002 Peugeot 206 LX has them as standard.
    2002 P206 Look had none, not even headrests in the back seat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

beazee wrote: »
    2002 P206 Look had none, not even headrests in the back seat.

Sorry, I should have said fitted from factory, not "as standard".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

2005 Subaru legacy estate has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I have an 08 BMW 1 Series and they are fitted, car was a UK import.

I think the Mini has them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Thanks for all the models mentioned,I will maybe have to buy a 2005/6 so it's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Most cars from 2006 onwards have ISOFIX however all cars sold in Europe from 2007 should have them:

"From 2007 isofix should be standard on new cars in Europe. Some car manufactures have had the isofix system in their cars years already, the first car with isofix came in 1997. HERE is a list over cars with isofix(produced before 2007)."

Quoted from http://kidsincars.blogspot.com/2008/05/what-is-isofixlatch-system-and-which.html

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

My 2003 audi a3 (3 door) has them. she was an import back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has anyone any idea if an 05 320 saloon has isofix points. I can't find them on the one we have!

Can you get them installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

worth mentioning although a bit late for this winter, never put kids in big coats in a car seat......

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://euroncap.blob.core.windows.net/media/8642/euroncap_bmw_3_series_2005_5stars.pdf
    Seems to be standard?
    I know that some have plastic guides and some don't. You should be able to stick your hand between the backrest and cushion, you should feel 2 bracket things on either side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'll have another look but there didnt seem to be any there.

Advertisement