Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signaling Systems in Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,678 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hmm, you've got me on that one. Here's the ones I do know.

It seems pointless to me, they have not being there for a long time and I have seen them on no other line. Drivers don't seem to do anything and there are no LC or Famers crossing near by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Derailing at 40mph would not be good. :D

What is the deal with that pic? Is it just a training set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Derailing at 40mph would not be good. :D

What is the deal with that pic? Is it just a training set up?

Yes its a training set-up just outside the training centre in Inchicore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is also a sign on the WL line mainly between Cherryville-Kilkenny and its a while circle with a black V in the middle. What are they for?

Jamie, are these tiny signs and usually on white poles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I guess it wouldn't be pointless if I were a driver but I'm not.

Not only drivers, it surprising how much so many have to know. I held a Network Rail IWA ticket and had to learn a fair chunk of the rule book just to be able to walk on my own down the line without getting run over by a train!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,678 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Its like this but with a V.

15_4.gif

As far as I know there is only 2 or 3 between Kilkenny-Cherryville.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    There is also a sign on the WL line mainly between Cherryville-Kilkenny and its a while circle with a black V in the middle. What are they for?

Sounds like it could be a Vegetation board. See "V boards" towards the end of this page (IRRS Journal 176).

/csd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dublin Spotter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsiHTfNE8Cc

In the above video it shows a trains going through a red signal and a second trains arriving in as it leaves the station. I thaugh none of this is allowed on a regional line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsiHTfNE8Cc

In the above video it shows a trains going through a red signal and a second trains arriving in as it leaves the station. I thaugh none of this is allowed on a regional line?

There are procedures for allowing a train to pass a red signal in the event of a failure, and as for the 071 coming in once the station section and overlap are clear there is no reason not to allow it enter the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dublin Spotter

There are procedures for allowing a train to pass a red signal in the event of a failure, and as for the 071 coming in once the station section and overlap are clear there is no reason not to allow it enter the station

why don't Irish Rail use this procedures mroe often as when signal faults happen they just delay the trains.

• Advertisement

why don't Irish Rail use this procedures mroe often as when signal faults happen they just delay the trains.

I guess to reduce the risk of a Cherryville style accident from happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

101sean wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder whether the drivers age affects the horn sounding! Near me around MP95 D-C there's a couple of accommodation crossings that were removed years ago but some drivers still blow the horn approaching where they were. I assume younger drivers wouldn't remember them but it's a habit with the older ones?

Perhaps there is a whistle board sign remaining there?

They often do but it depends on the location and type of fault. The term signal failure is a very broad term that can cover pretty much anything to do with controlling the movement of trains, from bulb failures (very rare but can happen), point failure ect.. The trouble is these things can take time to put in place and often mean it takes longer for a train to travel through an area compounding the delays.

For example if the problem is with a automatic level crossing it takes time for somebody to travel to the level crossing and initiate manual operation. It is also slower than the automation and adds to the delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I thaugh none of this is allowed on a regional line?

It appears that they were using a pilotman for that section. If you watch, a man gets out of the first train before it pulls into the station. I suspect that if the video wasn't edited so choppily, you would see him get into the train going into the opposite direction.

The signals into the station on the other side appear to be working okay and once the ICR with pilotman on board had cleared the platform, the loop would have been clear and the freight train could pull in normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Perhaps there is a whistle board sign remaining there?

I don't think so, definitely isn't heading south, I'll try and get a look next time I'm walking the dog that over that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Off the top of the head, CTC controls the following....

Athlone-Moate

All of these lines use CAWS as well.
    Does it actually still work on this overgrown, weed clogged up stretch of line, the signal cabin in Moate doesn't look if its connected to anything, CTC probably doesn't know it even exist at this stage, I douth if it even lights up a control panel in some far distance place in the big smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Theere are semaphores in moate id say connolly only controls the passing loop and the junction at mullingar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Other way round. CTC always had the line from the junction in Athlone to Moate.

Moate box still remains open as a block post and to control it's loop. It's ETS instrument was stolen some years ago so the line has to be worked as one engine in steam, with access towards Athlone being done via phone from Moate from a signal man . Mullingar box controls the adjoining yard though it's use is limited to RPSI trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Moate box still remains open as a block post and to control it's loop..
    I only saw Moate signal cabin only yesterday and it look very closed indeed, maybe you just mean it hasn't been abandoned, just like the Midleton / Youghal railway, hasn't seen a train in over 20years but still offically part of the network, not abandoned, but certainly closed.
    I was only tolded last night that Sligo Quay freight terminal, is not closed, its not open for business and timber trains run as required, even though they have not been required for the last 3years, I am confused:confused:

• Advertisement

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    I only saw Moate signal cabin only yesterday and it look very closed indeed, maybe you just mean it hasn't been abandoned, just like the Midleton / Youghal railway, hasn't seen a train in over 20years but still offically part of the network, not abandoned, but certainly closed.

The cabin is open as a block post but as the line is closed to traffic, it's only manned when required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

So connolly ctc has control of the points on the junction
    Where the line to moate joins the southern line??

Advertisement