Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Well done. Tender legs here too - but mainly because I was with the physio yesterday evening and she pummelled the stuffing out of me. :eek: I'm sure it's for my own good... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

macinalli wrote: »
    You're not likely to get many responses in this thread - there are usually some takers over here.

Actually there doesn't seem to be much activity over there at all. Nothing wrong with running alone either, it seems a lot of us do it
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭corny

jprender wrote: »
    I've been somewhat resting up over the last week with some very tender calf muscles. Just two short runs since my last long run 8 days ago.

Calf guards arrived in the post this morning though, and they really made a difference.

27km Long Run completed tonight. Nearly 2.5 hours on the feet.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/216208082

It's good to be back :D

Good run. Very jealous. Couldn't even do 20 minutes this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Lordy its very quiet round here today....have all the rest of ye gone on yer hols or something :p
    I have two issues:
    1) I am eating like an absolute horse! I mean there is no end to my appetite. As soon as I'm finished eating I'm planning my next meal :eek: Can see me blowing up like a balloon come taper time :eek:
    2) I have a 19 mile lsr planned for this weekend. Just me and my thoughts for 3 and a half hours could be dangerous so was seriously considering a trip to the park (Thanks Ray for putting that idea in my head). Anyone else want to meet up for lsr this weekend?
    I am the same with the food! Can’t stop eating and it isn’t exactly the healthy stuff either :o. I’m already after two breakfasts this morning! I thought I’d lose loads of weight during training, but that’s not the case at all.

I know what you mean about running alone, it does get boring when you get to the runs over 2 ½ hours. That’s why I like the audio books, it feels more like company compared to music! I’m in Cork, so no chance of meeting up with anyone for a LSR, which is a shame. Sounds like good fun. I regret not joining a running club, there is one near me that does LSR’s every weekend. I think I will join after the marathon and hopefully that will incentivise me to keep running throughout the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ncmc wrote: »
    I am the same with the food! Can’t stop eating and it isn’t exactly the healthy stuff either :o.

Fill the house with healthy food instead of junk. Eat when you're hungry, you shouldn't be starving yourself, but try to make it real food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    I am the same with the food! Can’t stop eating and it isn’t exactly the healthy stuff either :o. I’m already after two breakfasts this morning! I thought I’d lose loads of weight during training, but that’s not the case at all.

I know what you mean about running alone, it does get boring when you get to the runs over 2 ½ hours. That’s why I like the audio books, it feels more like company compared to music! I’m in Cork, so no chance of meeting up with anyone for a LSR, which is a shame. Sounds like good fun. I regret not joining a running club, there is one near me that does LSR’s every weekend. I think I will join after the marathon and hopefully that will incentivise me to keep running throughout the winter.
    Haha I'm a terror for having 2 breakfasts!!! And they're not small breakfasts either :D The audio books are great. Would really recommend the BBC's version of the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. Have had them since I was a kid and they're still brill

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    HHN2 has me doing 17m on Saturday. I'm training alone too (Mrs. Dilbert is training too but she's too fast for me) but too far from the Park to go there for a LSR (especially seeing I was up there last weekend, distant NI next weekend and back in Dublin for half weekend after, so this is my only non-travelling weekend for a month). Ipod time I think.
    Is Mrs. D. doing the DCM as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Trampas

17 mile this weekend I am doing this run on the DCM course.

Maybe others would like it also

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208839825727236606975.0004c81b1edcfb62e7e15&msa=0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    HHN2 has me doing 17m on Saturday. I'm training alone too (Mrs. Dilbert is training too but she's too fast for me) but too far from the Park to go there for a LSR (especially seeing I was up there last weekend, distant NI next weekend and back in Dublin for half weekend after, so this is my only non-travelling weekend for a month). Ipod time I think.
    Is Mrs. D. doing the DCM as well?

She sure is - aiming for 3.30 for her 2nd marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Does anyone else do their weekly runs or LSR on the Howth Rd/Clontarf seafront... Howth/Sutton to Fairview & back?
    I find it great... don't really get bored at all with the ipod.
    Full of runners & I do we wondering if it's any of us novices?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Does anyone else do their weekly runs or LSR on the Howth Rd/Clontarf seafront... Howth/Sutton to Fairview & back?

Thats where i did vast majority of my training till i got laid up. Work in Howth so it was perfect running along the seafront, and as you said loads to occupy the mind. No doubt we've pasted one another at some point.

Yea I'm sure we have. Will head out there tonight. It's ideal & all the human traffic keeps you entertained for a lot of it. nice scenery too, fresh air, and no traffic lights. That's a shame you're laid up. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Yea I'm sure we have. Will head out there tonight. It's ideal & all the human traffic keeps you entertained for a lot of it. nice scenery too, fresh air, and no traffic lights. That's a shame you're laid up. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Stephen, we could have arranged a few runs only for my injury. Fingers crossed i'll be back, haven't given up the DCM dream just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I don't know your pace but one guy is lloking to run along the coast from Clontarf this sunday on the group thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80467073#post80467073

tang1 wrote: »
    Thanks Stephen, we could have arranged a few runs only for my injury. Fingers crossed i'll be back, haven't given up the DCM dream just yet.

For sure, let me know when you are on the mend. don't give up hope at all. still 9 weeks. you can still do it, you might night do your ideal goal time but your fitness must be at a level that will allow for a few weeks off & a gentle return that will enable you to have a go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I'm finding the nutrition aspect hardest at the moment. justifying my treats with 'ah sure i went for a long run'. Not sure if i'm fueling properly at all! appetite is all over the place as well.

I'm finding the nutrition aspect hardest at the moment. justifying my treats with 'ah sure i went for a long run'. Not sure if i'm fueling properly at all! appetite is all over the place as well.
    Ah the old 'i deserve it'. My old friend that one :D Found this earlier - might help
    http://www.runningplanet.com/training/marathon-nutrition.html

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Trampas wrote: »
    17 mile this weekend I am doing this run on the DCM course.

Maybe others would like it also

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208839825727236606975.0004c81b1edcfb62e7e15&msa=0

Yikes :eek:
    I'm doing 16, some how your 17 route looks scarier. This weekend I'll do the Fortfield Rd to Ballsbridge bit and I'll follow the Dodder river home (some of that is through parks a break from the footpaths and crossing roads) When are you heading out, I have to go out at silly o clock on Saturday morning so as not to interfere with family schedule too much. Do you live along the course or are you driving to Crumlin to start? Enjoy!

RayCun wrote: »
    Fill the house with healthy food instead of junk. Eat when you're hungry, you shouldn't be starving yourself, but try to make it real food.

What is a good snack food?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Ah the old 'i deserve it'. My old friend that one :D Found this earlier - might help
    http://www.runningplanet.com/training/marathon-nutrition.html

Here's a site you can use to compare the GI of foods:

http://www.glycemicindex.com

• Advertisement

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Yikes :eek:
    I'm doing 16, some how your 17 route looks scarier. This weekend I'll do the Fortfield Rd to Ballsbridge bit and I'll follow the Dodder river home (some of that is through parks a break from the footpaths and crossing roads) When are you heading out, I have to go out at silly o clock on Saturday morning so as not to interfere with family schedule too much. Do you live along the course or are you driving to Crumlin to start? Enjoy!

I am driving to Crumlin and leave the car in the shopping centre. I have family near enough to it so I will go there if not up to driving straightaway. I am doing it on the Friday and running literally by my job so I know I will be seeing people from work no matter what time I pass by. I have Aviva on Saturday and Croker on Sunday so trying to fit in 3 hour run around that is difficult unless I am on the road at 8am as live in Kildare.

I noticed next week is the longest week on HHN2 plan. 36 miles I don't think I have ran 36 miles in total since I left school many years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

I do most of my running along that stretch of coast as well. Fabulous scenery no doubt, but after weeks and weeks of running along the same patch it's starting to get a bit boring. Serious lack of hills as well. Going to venture southside for the long runs from here on in to get rid of the serious fear factor I've built up in my mind about the marathon route....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What is a good snack food?

Fruit rather than sweets, water rather than sugary drinks, that kind of thing. I've been milling through oat cakes for the last couple of months, trying to cut out the biscuits but I need something with my tea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

29th today - 2 months left

Some people have mentioned diet and I am in the same boat. Carrying a few pounds which I must really loose, especially with lots of long runs looming it is bound to be an extra strain on joints and muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I have two issues:
    1) I am eating like an absolute horse! I mean there is no end to my appetite. As soon as I'm finished eating I'm planning my next meal :eek: Can see me blowing up like a balloon come taper time :eek:
    2) I have a 19 mile lsr planned for this weekend. Just me and my thoughts for 3 and a half hours could be dangerous so was seriously considering a trip to the park (Thanks Ray for putting that idea in my head). Anyone else want to meet up for lsr this weekend?

I'm also eating like a horse! And it's not always fruit :o (Does Ben & Jerry's have ANY nutritional value? :rolleyes:) As I type, I'm eating an enormous plate of homemade oven chips - YUM! :D There's no way I'd ever eat 4 potatoes, but slice 'em up & bake with some salt, pepper, rosemary & spray oil & I'm ploughing through them! :) Since I've started training, I'd say I'm up at least 7lbs :rolleyes: My OH kindly suggested that some of that must be muscle. Well my face isn't getting any fatter thankfully, but all that extra "muscle" around my waist is not welcome! :mad: I know I just need to rein in the sweet tooth, but I figure I'll focus on that come November!

I'm planning a 17m LSR along part of the DCM route (from Phoenix Park, through Chapelizod to Crumlin Road & home again). I think my pace is too slow (11-12 min/miles) to get a running buddy! :( Also my running schedule is a bit all over the place at the moment. Was offered a job on Monday (both excited & terrified about this!) :D which I should be starting in 3 week, so I'll have to get more of a routine going then! :eek:

joe40 wrote: »
    29th today - 2 months left

Some people have mentioned diet and I am in the same boat. Carrying a few pounds which I must really loose, especially with lots of long runs looming it is bound to be an extra strain on joints and muscles.
    I’m the same Joe, it’s so hard to resist the bad food. By the time I get home from work, do my run, have a shower, it can be 8.00 or 8.30 and at that stage, I don’t have the energy to cook something healthy, so I end up eating processed rubbish. Plus when I’m tired, I find I’m reaching for the sweets and chocolates to give me a sugar rush, which in turn give me a sugar slump, leaving me tired and it’s one vicious circle!

I’m on holidays on Saturday for two weeks, but when I come home I am really going to clamp down on my diet. I am going to Italy for my hols, so going to try and eat as much lovely fresh salad/fish/chicken as I can. This is a good page that gives a breakdown on the GI of some common foods, so I’m going to try and follow the 65-70% carb rule, but stick to the low GI ones.

http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

I am going to Italy for my hols, so going to try and eat as much lovely fresh salad/fish/chicken as I can.

Was offered a job on Monday (both excited & terrified about this!) :D which I should be starting in 3 week, so I'll have to get more of a routine going then! :eek:

Congratulations Shortie Chik! That's great news :D

RayCun wrote: »
    Fruit rather than sweets, water rather than sugary drinks, that kind of thing. I've been milling through oat cakes for the last couple of months, trying to cut out the biscuits but I need something with my tea. :)

I understand the fruit and water is it the oak cakes and things like that for snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Sitting trying to get a bowl of porridge down me at 4 o'clock, my sons football training for tonight was just cancelled, so now I've a window of running opportunity. Was going to do 7 this evening but now I think I'll do the LSR, hence the porridge cos I haven't time to make and eat dinner and then wait 2 hours before running. Usually do the LSR at weekends first thing so doing it in the evening should be interesting, probably will be awake all night. Off now to stockpile some ice for the bath that will be required, wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

I noticed next week is the longest week on HHN2 plan. 36 miles I don't think I have ran 36 miles in total since I left school many years ago

Yeah I noticed that too. And mad to think that after this weeks long run there is only five weeks of 'hard training' left and then it is the taper!

Advertisement