Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro 2012 Betting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Italy down to 6/1 now and just reading some posts on here i can't help but laugh.I can't believe people think germany will hammer italy.

Germany are a much better side but obviously it isn't going to be that easy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

Close to putting a decent bet on Spain to win @ Evens - hoping to double last weeks winning (on the few things I won on), and wipe out my terrible Euro luck (though I fear it will continue). Will probably go ahead with this a bit closer to KO.

I even bothered to try and look at some stats:

Helder Postiga is out [Bad!]
    Last H2H, Portugal trashed Spain (but it was a Friendly) [Still Bad!]
    The line-up was close to the one likely today (but the goals came after HT subs) [Still not a great sign]
    Bad booking could screw things up. The teams, and the ref points to this. [This could go either way]
    Portugal have the joint TGS of the Euros (Ronaldo) [Bad!]
    Spain have more goals as a team [Good!]
    Spain scored early more often, and let in less later in the games during the Euros [Gopd!]
    In the Euros, Portugal usually score goals later in most games - Spain should cancel this out [Good!]
    Id any team knows how to cancel out Ronaldo, Spain should have a chance [hopefully]

If Spain lose, then feel free to ban me for screwing up all your bets. I never believed in jinxed bets before, but dammit I am getting close here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jackohearts

@inforfun
    Have done ok on the cards markets the last few games. I noticed that the refs were giving them out less frequently than before e.g the first card in the England/Italy was at 80mins.

Think I will chance the under market for the cards in both games.. 40points I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

What do people think of the market for Player of Tournament on PP. Ronaldo is at 7/2 which seems very short. I fancy the odds on Alonso and Silva. I have thrown a euro on both. For me it is a bet to nothing. Alonso is 25/1 and Silva is 33/1. Both players have played v well. For me better than Xavi or Iniesta. Another strong game from either of them and they would have a real chance of winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

What do people think of the market for Player of Tournament on PP. Ronaldo is at 7/2 which seems very short. I fancy the odds on Alonso and Silva. I have thrown a euro on both. For me it is a bet to nothing. Alonso is 25/1 and Silva is 33/1. Both players have played v well. For me better than Xavi or Iniesta. Another strong game from either of them and they would have a real chance of winning.

Fancy Pirlo more so than them and if they manage to upset Germany I think he'll be nailed on for it. Had a great tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

yesno1234 wrote: »
    Fancy Pirlo more so than them and if they manage to upset Germany I think he'll be nailed on for it. Had a great tournament.

My thinking too. I've backed Pirlo now, worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭EDudder

A tenner on Spain and Germany to progress to the next round (double) returns €18.67.

A tenner on Spain and Germany to be in the final returns €20.50.

Paddy power on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

EDudder wrote: »
    A tenner on Spain and Germany to progress to the next round (double) returns €18.67.

Paddy power on the ball.

good spot, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

tinodz wrote: »
    Close to putting a decent bet on Spain to win @ Evens - hoping to double last weeks winning (on the few things I won on), and wipe out my terrible Euro luck (though I fear it will continue). Will probably go ahead with this a bit closer to KO.

I even bothered to try and look at some stats:

Helder Postiga is out [Bad!]
    Last H2H, Portugal trashed Spain (but it was a Friendly) [Still Bad!]
    The line-up was close to the one likely today (but the goals came after HT subs) [Still not a great sign]
    Bad booking could screw things up. The teams, and the ref points to this. [This could go either way]
    Portugal have the joint TGS of the Euros (Ronaldo) [Bad!]
    Spain have more goals as a team [Good!]
    Spain scored early more often, and let in less later in the games during the Euros [Gopd!]
    In the Euros, Portugal usually score goals later in most games - Spain should cancel this out [Good!]
    Id any team knows how to cancel out Ronaldo, Spain should have a chance [hopefully]

If Spain lose, then feel free to ban me for screwing up all your bets. I never believed in jinxed bets before, but dammit I am getting close here. :pac:

spain haven't conceded a goal in their last 8 KO matches at the euro's or world cup either
    clean sheets in KO rounds - euro '08 = 3, WC '10 = 4, euro '12 = 1
    and the most goals anyone scored against them in group stage matches at them tournaments has been 1.

although in the confederations cup in '09 the USA beat the 2-0 in the semi's

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Spain 1-0 @ half time @ 11/4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Spain to have over 65% possession @ 7/2 on on Hills.

Spain to have under 66.99% possession @ 5/6 on Stan James.

You would think from looking at that, that there'd be easy free money to be made, however there's a snag.

Hills use UEFA to judge the possession, Stan James use Opta.

I would stake large money on this if I could get hold of Opta stats of Euro 2012 matches and make sure they are almost identical to the UEFA ones. The UEFA stats are easy to find on their site, but I just cannot get hold of Opta stats for games, and have been looking for ages.

Blatter wrote: »
    Spain to have over 65% possession @ 7/2 on on Hills.

Spain to have under 66.99% possession @ 5/6 on Stan James.

You would think from looking at that, that there'd be easy free money to be made, however there's a snag.

Hills use UEFA to judge the possession, Stan James use Opta.

I would stake large money on this if I could get hold of Opta stats of Euro 2012 matches and make sure they are almost identical to the UEFA ones. The UEFA stats are easy to find on their site, but I just cannot get hold of Opta stats for games, and have been looking for ages.

here you go :)http://opta-euro.mc.cloud.opta.net/index.html?lang=en

batistuta9 wrote: »

Thanks a million, must compare a good few matches now and report back.

Just compared a few matches there, and there is typically a 4% difference between the two possession stats. Too dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Opta have Spain as having had 66% possession against Italy. Just went through all of Opta's recent tweets and that is the only thing I found regarding Spain's possession:
    34% - Italy had the lowest percentage of possession in the opening group games, just ahead of England (35%). Chasing.

Hope that helps.

:)

Edit: Took too long reading through the tweets! :P

Thanks a million, must compare a good few matches now and report back.

i looked at the spain v france & england v italy games there on both site's and OPTA had spain & italy having more possession in both, around 4% more

EDIT: never seen your post about doing it already

Just compared a few matches there, and there is typically a 4% difference between the two possession stats. Too dodgy.

OPTA - germany 75.9% v 24.1% greece
    UEFA - germany 66% v 34% greece

:pac::pac::pac: far too dodgy

How in the name of God can the possession stats vary so much for the same game? :pac:

I compared the first few matches of the actual tournament, and the stats seem to only vary by a % or two.

They vary far too much in the KO stages, that Germany/Greece one takes the piss.

Good to see a bit of stat work instead of the usual "i feel it in me waters".

you also have to take into account that the first match was the first decently competitive game either had played in ages. 3 games later in quick succession can change the dynamic, also if italy score a goal early spains possesion will increase and likely vice versa. Italy are becoming increasly more cohesive imo and will have gained confidence from the first draw and cassano is playing deeper allowing italy to increase possession, basically a 4-1-3-1-1. Along with having a quick look at eufa/opta stats how do you factor things like above in and determine a value point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Formation wrote: »
    you also have to take into account that the first match was the first decently competitive game either had played in ages. 3 games later in quick succession can change the dynamic, also if italy score a goal early spains possesion will increase and likely vice versa. Italy are becoming increasly more cohesive imo and will have gained confidence from the first draw and cassano is playing deeper allowing italy to increase possession, basically a 4-1-3-1-1. Along with having a quick look at eufa/opta stats how do you factor things like above in and determine a value point?

Spain are playing Portugal. ;)

• Advertisement

Too late for this craic. Point being with a huge amount of variables, glancing at possession stats from their opening 4 games is almost, not entirely, but almost useless. Portugal are likely to change their tatics a fair bit for the spanish game than they used in the czech and stats from just 4 games are not worth basing a bit bet on in a market you probably have little experience in analysing.

Jesus that spelling is woeful. Definately time for the leaba. GL.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JohnnyDoogue

EDudder wrote: »

Paddy power on the ball.

A tenner on Spain and Germany to win is 37.23 I think I know where my money is going

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've ended up making my biggest bet ever of 5€ :P Germany/Spain to win in 90.

Instantly regretting it. 19€ if I win though, which would cover all my Euro loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Couple of powerplays by PP today.

Ronaldo wincast enhanced to 13/2
    McIlroy to win Irish open and Spain and Germany to win their semis - 35/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Spain to win for me
    However if Ronaldo is on song, and Portugal manage to get the ball, it might make it an interesting game
    Be favoring unders also, be interesting to see the Spain team, assuming they will start with no striker again

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭heliocentrist

I was almost hooked in by that wincast for a brief moment. Then I remembered Portugal won't win so it doesn't matter whether Ronaldo scores.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

So what would you do? I've Alonso backed at 1000 to be top scorer and he has dropped under 40. 2 Euros punt I did on a few long shots for 50 profit or let it ride. Fab Torres and Ronaldo all playing with 2,2, and 3 goals respectively.

I see Bet Victor has 6/4 for Portugal to have 6 or more on target. Any thoughts.

Most of the markets I checked seem lacking in any value. Under 2.5 looks good but the price is probably bang on at 1.6ish

So what would you do? I've Alonso backed at 1000 to be top scorer and he has dropped under 40. 2 Euros punt I did on a few long shots for 50 profit or let it ride. Fab Torres and Ronaldo all playing with 2,2, and 3 goals respectively.

top scorer in the tournament? sell sell sell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Ronaldo anytime 2/1.

That is all :)

Advertisement