Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Jaysus the memories are coming back I used to deliver to all there stores around Ireland from memory these had to be some of the worst.
    Wine st Sligo
    Ballina
    West port
    Letterkenny(the old one)
    Dundalk x2 not the newish one
    North side shopping center
    Cardiffsbridge Finglas(the wild west with the barriers and barbed wire it was like something out of mad max:eek:)
    Tralee x 3
    Arklow old one
    Nenagh old one
    Ballyvolane
    Main street Cork
    Dunnes westside Galway
    Portlaise old one
    Clomel x 3 although I heard they updated the one on the way out of the town
    Ennis
    There is probely more that I can't think off but have to say at least there deli counter was always better than tesco,And I am so glad that I no longer deliver to them some of the mgmt are absolute pr**ks, during the time that we had snow some years ago I had a manager give out to me that I was late.
    I asked the knob were they late getting into work when they replied yes I answered back that they expected me to travel accross the other side of the country and be on time with the dodgy roads(black ice etc) with a 45 foot trailer behind me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If you remember the 80s they were all depressing back then but many have been given a facelift, except (in my experience):

- Talbot Street, Dublin city centre
    - The "old" Dunnes in Bishopstown, Cork (ffs - close the monstrosity already, there's a lovely new one down the road!)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Dudess wrote: »
    - The "old" Dunnes in Bishopstown, Cork (ffs - close the monstrosity already, there's a lovely new one down the road!)

They don't like closing old ones even when they have opened a new premises nearby as they are worried about competitors moving into the empty unit.

iguana wrote: »
    They don't like closing old ones even when they have opened a new premises nearby as they are worried about competitors moving into the empty unit.

They closed the old ones in Longford and Roscrea and just left them there to rot spot on about letting the competition in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ballyvolane Dunnes is grand now IMO - but pre 1990s, a pit of despair...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 fatfacee

Crumlin shopping centre. It's like walking into a different time zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Bray-....the food one near the Dart Station......horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

I remember all the scares in crumlin.in the 80,s , everyone evacuated on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I remember one of those scares in Crumlin too; people were running out of Dunnes without paying for their shopping.

Anyway, the Dunnes in Crumlin is just the pits. Seperate offie, seperate frozen section and seperate dry goods. Grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre, unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

How so Joe wrote: »
    It's 6! And that's not entirely Dunnes' fault. Whoever designed the centre (and the apartments above it) made some huge cockups. There's forever bits of the ceiling falling down, both in Dunnes and the rest of Manor Mills. :rolleyes:

Although, considering Dunnes is the flagship in the centre, it's entirely possible they had a hand in designing the centre. Hrmmm...

Seems like only yesterday getting leaflets in the door advertising its opening..!!

Nothing wrong about Manor Mills itself, (looks wise! As you say, there is design flaws) just that the Dunnes is designed exactly like a different one I worked in (I worked in both) and there is 20 years between their opening dates! But it's not an 'A store' so will never be seen as important to jazz up.

It's the anchor and backbone of every crappy shopping centre in Ireland. They must be miffed when they're one of many, like Liffey Valley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

iguana wrote: »

Add Letterkenny to that list too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I find the tone of their in-store announcements depressing, same in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The old one in Enniscorthy was a complete kip,held together by packing tape & dirt.I worked there for a short while years ago,most of the managers were actually pretty sound until one asshole who was only a year or so older than me arrived.He managed to fall out with every member of staff within a couple of weeks.I threatened to throw him down the stairs one night after a particular episode of cuntishness from him.
    The next day I expected a P45 but the head man told me he'd gotten several complaints about yer man and he was being transferred,never seen so many happy staff in one place when they got the news.

The old store is closed now & of course Dunnes won't let anyone take it over and it remains empty and detracts from the town.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The Dunnes that used to be on the main street in Mallow. A long narrow cave, in which the drapery section was between the front door and the checkouts. It really was all the series of Lost in a shop :P
    RayM wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores in Portlaoise is particularly grim.

I've a feeling that green van is packed with bags of fertiliser and detonators :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Bobsammy wrote: »
    It's 7 actually! Opened in 2005.
    It's not 7 til October. or September. Can't remember.
    It's still horrible. =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

All Dunnes seem dingy, cluttered and badly lit. Even Lidl and Aldi have more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Portadown. Grim.

As is Dunnes in Portadown.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

nicechick! wrote: »
    Dunness in my view based purely on the level of customer service is driven from the top down that it is a company in my view that does recognize the value there employees who contribute daily to the delivery of there bottom line figures. I have tried to google Dunnes looking for information regarding there company mission, values and shockingly can't find anything! Again suggests they take little pride in there employees. I found one article from a couple of years ago and it states they had approx 18000 people working for them! I believe they have Hr Managers taking care of the HR within there stores but to me the primary driver in there role is more like ''policing'' I couldn't find any reference to people engagement, motivation, training or development more like a role for maintaining policy, procedure, compliance measures which of course are important!

You had a lucky escape :)

While working in Dunnes I never met one person who actually enjoyed working there. There was no incentive to. The managers were constantly stressed, HR were people you only saw when you'd done something wrong (the HR office would open 9-5 Monday to Friday so if you worked evenings and weekends, as many students there did, you never saw HR) New rules would be enstated at random, only told to some people, not to others and managers were nearly always unaware of checkout rules (occasionally telling you in front of customers to break a rule the checkout's computer wouldn't let you do) Also despite having good workers who enjoyed being there, they had a habit while I was working there of taking people on for six months, not renewing their contracts... then hiring on other people, because it was cheaper than an eventual raise.

ANYWAY I DIVERGE. I think Stephen's Green Dunnes is nice. There are two Dunneses in the Ilac Centre, one which opens out onto Henry St and is nice and new...

... and another which sells the same clothes a one minute walk across the centre but is old and miserable...

The old Dunnes in Mullingar before it closed down was tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

All of them. Absolutely despise their shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

The Dunnes that was on Northumberland Ave. in Dun Laoghaire, around the corner from the main one. Most depressing shop I've ever been in full stop. Apparently was built on the site of an old graveyard/church. Sounds about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

All of them. Absolutely despise their shops.

And me! I really hate them. Especially the one in Ennis. Yes, EVEN if Father Ted Christmas Special was filmed there.

I always hated the one on Sarsfield Street in Limerick as well. Grotty place with rotten floor tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I remember years ago when we were kids my mother always shopped in Quinnsworth in Naas, my Aunt went to Dunnes in Newbridge. Now Quinnsworth was pretty crappy (remember yellow pack? cept for the Shepards Pie they did that was tasty) anyway I always thought that Dunnes was worse than Quinnsworth. Then in the boom times I was over here for a weekend went in with my sister and thought how far it had come. Then when I moved home I went to shop I went to shop there it was awful all the nice deli stuff and bakery stuff was gone to be replaced with a horrible air of recession. (Also there was some mess about having to have a pin number and be in a book to pay a bill by cheque and something else to do with Transax which all sounded dreadfully complex and we seemed to lack any sort of customer service)

So that's Dunnes in Newbridge getting my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

It's got to be the one of North Earl St beside the Spire. All the winos, junkies, knackers, thugs frequent it. The off-licence part is worse. It's so depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

That sounds more like you've described Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

It's got to be the one of North Earl St beside the Spire. All the winos, junkies, knackers, thugs frequent it. The off-licence part is worse. It's so depressing.

Yes I suppose Dunnes does provide a place for these people to go ...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Jaysus the memories are coming back I used to deliver to all there stores around Ireland from memory these had to be some of the worst.
    Wine st Sligo
    Ballina
    West port
    Letterkenny(the old one)
    Dundalk x2 not the newish one
    North side shopping center
    Cardiffsbridge Finglas(the wild west with the barriers and barbed wire it was like something out of mad max:eek:)
    Tralee x 3
    Arklow old one
    Nenagh old one
    Ballyvolane
    Main street Cork
    Dunnes westside Galway
    Portlaise old one
    Clomel x 3 although I heard they updated the one on the way out of the town
    Ennis
    There is probely more that I can't think off but have to say at least there deli counter was always better than tesco,And I am so glad that I no longer deliver to them some of the mgmt are absolute pr**ks, during the time that we had snow some years ago I had a manager give out to me that I was late.
    I asked the knob were they late getting into work when they replied yes I answered back that they expected me to travel accross the other side of the country and be on time with the dodgy roads(black ice etc) with a 45 foot trailer behind me.

We were all pulled aside in groups during the bad weather those two years and told, whatever happened , to make sure we were in on time.

kieranfitz wrote: »
    We were all pulled aside in groups during the bad weather those two years and told, whatever happened , to make sure we were in on time.

Jaysus some employers don't give a flying fook about their staff I ended up working for another retail chain, and the mgmt told us during the crappy weather if its to dangerous to drive pull in let the office and store know that your gonna be late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

i agree with you op, all dunnes stores have a grim gloomy feel about them. its probably the ridiculous prices they charge for some stuff that gives them that feel. the staff are miserable as fcuk and contemptuous of customers. totally agree with the supervisors, you'd swear they were on a catwalk strutting their stuff. dopes in a need of a good hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Dunnes in Kilkenny's McDonagh center is pretty grim.
    Since Dunnes already had an aircraft hangar sized store at the other end of town,one might wonder why they had to open there as well.
    One might surmise it was to keep Tesco out.

Since Clonmel has been mentioned, we must be unique in a town this sized to have three, two of which have been recently revamped.

But the economics of Dunnes Stores as a whole is extremely puzzling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 bettyl

Dunnes in Longford is a nice enough shop.

Advertisement