Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

humberklog wrote: »
    skinny90 wrote: »
    Op by the sounds of it you have never been to lidl

Nothing wrong with Lidl.

Farf better than any other BigBrand shop.
    Lidl think of the little people with their shelf heights anyway. Often been in Dunnes and had to nearly climb up on a shelf to get to something on the top shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

KeithM89 wrote: »
    The one with Irelands' smallest lingerie department.
    And what may I ask is wrong with small lingerie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Kevski wrote: »
    Dunnes in Crumlin Shopping Centre is a fairly depressing spot.

This one! Does it still have the grocery, chilled section, offie and fruit&veg section in different parts of the shopping centre, with different tills in each one so you have to queue and pay four times to do one weekly shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Where To wrote: »
    And what may I ask is wrong with small lingerie?
    Whoosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

The one in Finglas, near cappagh road is a right sh*thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

This thread needs a "Pics or GTFO"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Does anyone not think that lidl is well very boring and bland,no music or noise at all,don't get me wrong I go there on a weekly basis for certain foods but I find the staff very depressed/unmotivative.i know I'd crack up working there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Whoosh!
    Whoosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭blah88

Worked in the Dunnes in the Swan Centre for about a month recently. Was grand except for the manager. Never wanted to punch someone so badly in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Bernard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

KungPao wrote: »
    Whoosh!

Whoosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I worked in one mentioned here for years, its much better than most. Its a flagship and gets lots of attention...theres so many much more hideous, ugly and depressing ones. In town alone there's north earl street and the old ilac one with the grocery, now they are absolute holes.

The staff are miserable because they're not nice to work for. Either you work in a grim depressing one where bad managers are sent or you work in a fancy flagship mental one that has head office in all the time and a lot of pressure and stress. Bad all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

anyone remember the downstairs in the old dunnes on north earl street? it looked like a nazi bomb shelter

hey ! the nazi's would of dunne well to have something like that !

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Faith+1 wrote: »
    The one in Finglas, near cappagh road is a right sh*thole.

http://g.co/maps/8ehw6

It's probably the worse supermarket I've ever been in. That part of Finglas South is criminally undeveloped, socially and culturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ballyvolane Cork.

The one in Ballina was perhaps the most depressing place on earth. I think it was actually at one time called the dirtiest Dunnes stores in Ireland. They gave it a bit if a face lift a few years back but it remains a pretty grim place. I worked there years back and at Christmas was told I was on hygiene duty which is just a fancy name for sweeping up. I'll never forget the first day when I looked under the shelves and saw a good decades worth of crap that has been swept under. There was 3 inches of dust, mouldy food and other treasures to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I definitely don't find Lidl or Aldi as depressing - they're at least kept to a reasonable standard of cleanliness. And I don't think Tesco are quite as awful to work for, judging by the general demeanour of their staff.

I've never worked for Dunnes, but I've never known anybody to last there longer than three months without crying at work at least once. I have terrific sympathy for the staff, but the managers seem to be completely psychotic and I think it's definitely reflected in the standard of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Tesco is worse, they have that awful logo too, it looks like the away strip of an Association Football team playing in the Blue Square Northern League.

I have a Dunnes brand cardigan somebody bought me that I'm quite fond of, so I'll defend them.

I'm alright with clothesy Dunnes, at least they usually have some source of natural light. But foody Dunnes is just a haze of sadness and broken tiles and mysterious strips of tape on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Clondalkin gets my vote then.

The things I've seen their bakery section do to a pecan slice... the horror.

Additionally, they own the entire shopping center and almost exclusively lease out spaces to card shops, further adding to the air of general pointlessness about the place.

I definitely don't find Lidl or Aldi as depressing - they're at least kept to a reasonable standard of cleanliness. And I don't think Tesco are quite as awful to work for, judging by the general demeanour of their staff.

I've never worked for Dunnes, but I've never known anybody to last there longer than three months without crying at work at least once. I have terrific sympathy for the staff, but the managers seem to be completely psychotic and I think it's definitely reflected in the standard of the place.

Working there was hell. You were treated like crap and managers would take any opportunity to berate you. Now the junior/trainee managers were fine, it was the ones who ran the departments and overall store who were the issue.

I worked from 2 pm December 23rd to well after 2am December 24th and was supposed to be back in at 8am. The manager who was with us told me that I was entitled to a certain length of time between shifts and not to come in at 8am. Instead I was to start at 12. I got in at 11 thinking that i was doing them a fabor but was instantly sent to the head manager who spent 5minutes screaming at me for not being there at 8.

Thinking back I can't name one girl I worked with who wasn't reduced to tears at least once and I know one of the trainee managers had a break down over the way she was treated. She told me that from the start of the day till the end it was nothing but constant abuse and that no matter how good the job was done fault would be found.

A few friends have worked in Tesco and they really can't say a bad word about the place. The managers treat them with respect and they are allowed to be themselves to a degree.

On my second day in Dunnes, I was given a warning due to my piercings and hair cut. When I was hired I had my mohawk and piercings on display in the interview and not a single word was said about them to me. I wore the Mohawk down in work and on the first day all was good, wasn't till the second day that it was an issue, a manager said I looked like a good for nothing punk. In Tesco my friend has wore his piercings and hair bleached a dozen colours over the years and not once has a manager said anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Orneau Road, Belfast or the one on Cardiffsbridge Road in Finglas.

Working there was hell. You were treated like crap and managers would take any opportunity to berate you. Now the junior/trainee managers were fine, it was the ones who ran the departments and overall store who were the issue.

I worked from 2 pm December 23rd to well after 2am December 24th and was supposed to be back in at 8am. The manager who was with us told me that I was entitled to a certain length of time between shifts and not to come in at 8am. Instead I was to start at 12. I got in at 11 thinking that i was doing them a fabor but was instantly sent to the head manager who spent 5minutes screaming at me for not being there at 8.

Thinking back I can't name one girl I worked with who wasn't reduced to tears at least once and I know one of the trainee managers had a break down over the way she was treated. She told me that from the start of the day till the end it was nothing but constant abuse and that no matter how good the job was done fault would be found.

A few friends have worked in Tesco and they really can't say a bad word about the place. The managers treat them with respect and they are allowed to be themselves to a degree.

On my second day in Dunnes, I was given a warning due to my piercings and hair cut. When I was hired I had my mohawk and piercings on display in the interview and not a single word was said about them to me. I wore the Mohawk down in work and on the first day all was good, wasn't till the second day that it was an issue, a manager said I looked like a good for nothing punk. In Tesco my friend has wore his piercings and hair bleached a dozen colours over the years and not once has a manager said anything about it.

Jesus.

Yeah, that sounds about right. My sister, for instance, got a written warning on the first day for failing to have a "work pen".

I get the impression it comes down to managers getting as far as "Manager" and then staying there for the rest of their career. They all seem to go a little bit mad and deal with it by obsessing over crazy little details and abusing what power they have over the people around them. It's the one thing I've heard from everybody I've ever known to work for them, that each and every one of the managers is deranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i havent been in many dunnes but recently, the merchants quay store in cork has become very sad, mainly because the newly redeveloped patrick street is so nice.

Im not in ireland these days so if someones says the merchants quay location has closed down, i wouldnt be surprised.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dunnes all have a very generic, samey look about them - like a cheaper and tackier version of M&S. The St. Stephens Green and Cornelscourt ones are fine but some of their smaller stores are looking the worse for wear.

One thing that is not in dispute is how badly Dunnes treat their staff. This is well known. Anyone I know who has ever worked in Dunnes stores said it was hell with rampant bullying and abuse from management. I'm actually a bit surprised that there hasn't been a Prime Time feature on how badly Dunnes treat their staff.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    One thing that is not in dispute is how badly Dunnes treat their staff. This is well known. Anyone I know who has ever worked in Dunnes stores said it was hell with rampant bullying and abuse from management. I'm actually a bit surprised that there hasn't been a Prime Time feature on how badly Dunnes treat their staff.

I've wondered if they get a pass because nobody wants to be seen as rounding on an Irish company - all their foreign competitors have far better reputations as employers, including the big discount chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

I've worked there for 6 years myself and i have found 90% of management sound and workable with yet its that 10% that have a massive ego and power issues that affect staff, other managers and outside reps. Bad staff/management need to be disciplined or let go but if someone is doing their job then that person should not be mocked or belittled.

Had one horrible manager last year who mocked a staff member's OH in front of him and other staff. The fella reported the manager to HR, then the next day the manager sends the staff member up to HR, saying HR wanted an apology for wasting her time. Anyway the fella goes up and finds out that HR said nothing and that prat manager had lied to him. Manager gets a slap on the wrist in the end.

It really is that one member of management that fcuks up everybody else's day when the rest are good folk and workable. I was a staff member not a manager (That said sp to not create bias towards one side or the other)

Lastly on the point of you working from 2-2 and then rostered back in at 8, Dunnes should have told you that there is an 11 hour rest period between shifts, so that git broke the rules and maybe the law if someone can provide info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Parkway Limerick. The store itself isn't too bad it's just the intimidation in the air at times up there. Also nearly every teenage girl walking around there is either pregnant or dragging a child around. Such a lovely area. The one up Childers road is fine though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

Has to be westside in galway

Advertisement