Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you shave with or against the grain?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I find you get a closer shave against the grain, but I also hear that you can get weird lumps in your skin that get infected. Never happened and im shaving over ten years now.

i too shave against the grain but had had one or two hairs end up going ingrown.

a tiny dab of hair removal cream usually sorts out the ingrown ones if u catch early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

LaVail wrote: »
    I shave with the grain at first and when most of the hair is off then I shave against the grain.

Bought 6 gillette fusion proglide blades yesterday too and they cost me nearly €25 :eek:

Mother of Jaysus..

Jaysus christ man, start using double edge razors, For 25 europeans ye can get a years supply of them that will do a better job than any gillette pro ultra mach 3 ninja fusion glider speedboat beckham blade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Bambi wrote: »
    Jaysus christ man, start using double edge razors, For 25 europeans ye can get a years supply of them that will do a better job than any gillette pro ultra mach 3 ninja fusion glider speedboat beckham blade.

you forgot rocket powered.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

With the grain, then against the grain, then left then right then oh Sh1t!!! blood everywhere....no aftershave for me, its on with the fanny pad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Use a DE razor myself after seeing a thread on them here about a year ago. Always shave with the grain first and then across. I have never failed to cut myself shaving against the grain and usually end up with ingrown hairs if i do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

On the first pass I shave with the grain to get rid of any beard growth. On the second pass I go against the grain. I use a bit of shaving oil on my neck when I go against the grain, I find it helps with irritation. I use a DE razor, a brush and proper shaving soap. I found multi blade cartridges really tore up my face, switching to a single blade razor has really helped. My face is nowhere near as sore as it used to be after shaving. Razor blades for a DE razor are a lot cheaper that cartridge razor blades as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Using an electric razor a few years now. When I did have a wet shave I had to go with the grain. Always got an itchy rash if shaving against.

SteoL wrote: »
    Using an electric razor a few years now. When I did have a wet shave I had to go with the grain. Always got an itchy nappy rash if shaving against.

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Grow a beard ya pussies. Shaving is for women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

are we talking face or ball bag here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

always seem to go against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I was listening to a shaving "expert" on the radio a few years ago and he said to shave with the grain and then change just over half way down your throat and shave upwards from the bottom off the beard up because the grain changes direction and a wash afterwards with cold water is as good as any. I've found myself doing this ever since just to see if i'd any beard rash or anything and i have to say its works out alright. Mind you, i usually just give it a quick run over with the electric razor during the week, the price of the blades are mental and because i wouldnt shave everyday or even every other day, one blade only does shave anyway.

He's not quite right but he's not 100% wrong either. It's a good idea to make a map of how your hair grows on your face and neck. Some choose to physically do this by drawing out a diagram but I did mine mentally. Just 'map' the directions in which your hair grows and shave accordingly. It's a fairly basic principle of wet shaving that the first pass goes with the grain; you might find that most of the hair on your face grows downwards or that the hair on your neck grows in two or even three different directions. If you shave first with the grain you'll lessen the chance of irritation, skin bumps and ingrown hairs - particularly around the neck / Adam's apple area. DE razors are a boon in this regard as they can 't pull hair from your skin (which happens quite a bit with the ludicrously expensive cartridge systems.)

There are downsides to DEs though - the main one being there is a learning curve attached and there is less flexibility than with typical big brand razors. For example, you can pretty much pull a Fusion down the side of your face in a fairly aggressive fashion and you won't cut yourself. You have to be much more delicate with a DE and allow the weight of the razor's head guide the blade for you.

Another problem with a DE is that despite what a lot of DE aficianados say, it really is a lot easier to cut yourself. Also, a wet shave with a DE tends to take longer. Having said that, a lot of guys take a lot of pleasure from shaving with a 'real' blade. The shave feels a lot different - it's much more tactile. You can really feel your beard getting cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 BritsOut

With the grain because I use those disposable blue razors and shaving against the grain can cause an ingrown hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

much prefer shaving against the oats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Always with the grain.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

With the grain. It's too bloody painful trying to shave against the grain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

With the grain, there is no reason to shave against it. No man needs to be that smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Mr.S wrote: »
    Shaving against the grain is perfectly fine and exactly the same as shaving with the grain if you just do it right:) If you want to have a super smooth face with no stubble then shave against the grain.

Make sure you pour hot water on a hand towel and put the towel on your face/around your neck before starting for a few mins, to soften up the hairs.

Then use a good shaving creme and rub it in (in a circular motion!). Don't do anything for a few mins, let the creme do its job ;).

Begin shaving with the grain, then shave against the grain after your initial shave. If you have sensitive skin you might want to put on another bit of shaving creme before you start shaving against the grain.

When finished, wash your face with cold water to close all the pores and wash away the shaving creme:)

Pat dry your face and apply moisturizer :)

And thats how you shave.

Except you need to rinse with WARM water first. If you immediately rinse with cold you'll close your pores - and trap shaving foam / cream / soap in your pores which causes those little white bumps. Rinse with warm until all cream / foam is gone - you'll know because your skin will feel taut. THEN rinse with cold, closing your pores and then apply moisturizer / balm. That's the way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Against. Or up; else i still feel stubble. in a nice steamy bath. I dont even use foam my facewash lather suffices

Mr.S wrote: »
    Shaving against the grain is perfectly fine and exactly the same as shaving with the grain if you just do it right:) If you want to have a super smooth face with no stubble then shave against the grain.

Make sure you pour hot water on a hand towel and put the towel on your face/around your neck before starting for a few mins, to soften up the hairs.

Then use a good shaving creme and rub it in (in a circular motion!). Don't do anything for a few mins, let the creme do its job ;).

Begin shaving with the grain, then shave against the grain after your initial shave. If you have sensitive skin you might want to put on another bit of shaving creme before you start shaving against the grain.

When finished, wash your face with cold water to close all the pores and wash away the shaving creme:)

Pat dry your face and apply moisturizer :)

And thats how you shave.

i'd like to see how ya explain how to shave a fanny against the grain ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Nulty wrote: »
    Its probably not even a face you have anymore...just a big scalp :eek:

nah man, i use a electric beard trimmer I can't stand being clean shaved . I've got facial hair I should have a right to sow it off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Beardage, the only way to go, shavings for lady-boys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I used to do under my jaw-line against and above with, but I tended to get a very bad shaving rash from going against, so I just stick with the grain now.

Not as close as it could be, but it doesn't seem to bother me/anyone else too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

This morning I went with the grain initially to trim the beard down and then against it for the smooth shave! That's my usual technique!

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

I shave with it mainly then go against it to get it right.

mongdesade wrote: »
    Beardage, the only way to go, shavings for lady-boys :D

get back in your cave Mongdesade Bin Laden

i'd like to see how ya explain how to shave a fanny against the grain ;)

xxxJennyxxx care to oblidge?

Advertisement