Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you shave with or against the grain?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I wonder if you did small squares in different direction i wonder could you have a checkered shaved look :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Confab wrote: »
    Ah, a shave snob. I suppose we're all snobs about something though. I'm a beer snob.

Against the grain. With doesn't make any sense.

Nothing snobbish about it. If you are going to do something pretty much daily for 60 plus years you may as well learn how to do it properly. The alternative is already listed in above posts - cuts, ingrown hairs, razor bumps, raw skin, etc.

Plus a good razor costs a lot less than spending 25 odd euro on Fusions every month. Superior shaves and the benefit that it also leaves more cash to Spend on the finer things in life, like beer ;)

And Snowie, if you use an open comb razor in alternative directions you can have a beard striped like a proper lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Depends what I'm shaving :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nothing snobbish about it. If you are going to do something pretty much daily for 60 plus years you may as well learn how to do it properly. The alternative is already listed in above posts - cuts, ingrown hairs, razor bumps, raw skin, etc.

Plus a good razor costs a lot less than spending 25 odd euro on Fusions every month. Superior shaves and the benefit that it also leaves more cash to Spend on the finer things in life, like beer ;)

A twinpack of King of Shaves cartridges lasts me three months. Then again, I only shave twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

Excellent, truly excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

And Snowie, if you use an open comb razor in alternative directions you can have a beard striped like a proper lawn.

What would you recommend buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What would you recommend buying?

Pop over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055448697&page=71 and have a read. Any questions, stick up a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

first i shave downwards, then upwards, then sideways from my ear to my chin, then apply aftershave and wait 10 minutes for my neck to stop bleeding, quick rinse and im done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Snowie wrote: »
    I haven't wet shaved in about 4 years :pac:

Its probably not even a face you have anymore...just a big scalp :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

LaVail wrote: »
    I shave with the grain at first and when most of the hair is off then I shave against the grain.

Bought 6 gillette fusion proglide blades yesterday too and they cost me nearly €25 :eek:

Mother of Jaysus..

I bought 100 Personna Red blades a few months ago for just under €10, they'll last me a long time (currently only shaving about once a week, scruffy student and just shape a beard).
    Get some proper shaving gear, much better quality of shave and a lot cheaper than the overpriced plastic crap most people use.
    See here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

I always shave away from the groin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Electric Razor ftw ;)

Cut-throat razor ftl. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Confab wrote: »
    A twinpack of King of Shaves cartridges lasts me three months. Then again, I only shave twice a week.

I shave at most, twice a week, sometimes once. A double edge razor is perfect cos it doesn't get clogged with hair. I have an adjustable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I use a Shick Hydro and Palmolive shaving cream. I used to use a Merkur DE with feathers but just found it too much effort. The hydro is a cracking blade - it is a multi-blade system but doesn't suffer the same problems as your crappy fusion blades.

Anyway, I shave with the grain, one pass then re-massage my face to reactivate the remaining cream and shave against the grain. I don't bother going for a final pass across as at this stage I'm already shaved closely enough. A good rinse with warm water, then cold and then apply moisturizer / face balm. Pat dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i always shave against the grain, get a closer shave that way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Can I just interject here and say that one of my favourite things is watching a guy shave. So. Sexy. Makes me want to do unspeakable things to him. :D

Now back to your regular scheduled programme...

cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I shave with the grain and then sideways across my face but shave against the grain on my neck so to answer your question no, sort of and yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

CJC999 wrote: »
    I shave with the grain and then sideways across my face but shave against the grain on my neck so to answer your question no, sort of and yes.

But that's the most sensitive part, that's how you get a shaving rash. So many men walking around with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

In the shower after washing myself, King of shaves gel and whatever razor is in there. Shave in any and every direction. Always smooth and never cut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I'm usually half asleep for ages in the morning.
    I find a dry cut-throat razor used against the grain sorts that out sharpish.

But like most, start with the grain, then work against for a clean finish, using my fingers to feel where another run of the razor is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wet electric razor ftw. Grain is irrelevant, shave in circles. Cuts just as close as a wet shave. Still hurts like hell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

smash wrote: »
    But that's the most sensitive part, that's how you get a shaving rash. So many men walking around with this.

I rarely get a shaving rash and if i do its usually on my face more so than my neck.

I use 'Total' shaving solution, wouldnt touch anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

With followed by against to get the very close cut

I use a Mach 3 - have tried lots of tyes of razors including electric and safety ones but I prefer my old reliable as the shave last longer then electric and I dont get dry skin + I can go quicker then with a safety razor which can be unforgiving if in a hurry.

I prefer to use shaving soap and brush though and it lasts a lot longer then foam/gel at a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DitzyPoo92

When I first read the title I thought it said "Do you shave with or against the groin" Woops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 iamjack

always with the grain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I shave sideways to the grain, so neither against nor with.

I find this sharpens the beard into a point better which I then rub against my missus's face, she doesn't like that.

Means I don't have to give as many lickouts as well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Special Agent Oso

I was listening to a shaving "expert" on the radio a few years ago and he said to shave with the grain and then change just over half way down your throat and shave upwards from the bottom off the beard up because the grain changes direction and a wash afterwards with cold water is as good as any. I've found myself doing this ever since just to see if i'd any beard rash or anything and i have to say its works out alright. Mind you, i usually just give it a quick run over with the electric razor during the week, the price of the blades are mental and because i wouldnt shave everyday or even every other day, one blade only does shave anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Greentopia wrote: »
    Can I just interject here and say that one of my favourite things is watching a guy shave. So. Sexy. Makes me want to do unspeakable things to him. :D

Now back to your regular scheduled programme...

Are you male, female or troll ? :pac:

Amazes me the effort some of you put it. With the grain then against the grain then ........

Where do ye find the time ? I'm like once or twice a week with a fusion in as quick as possible grains be damned (I like the fusion blades but refuse to be extorted more than twice a year :pac:) Currently rocking a beard though out of lazyness.

Advertisement