Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭chips365

IEMedAp wrote: »
    Without the scholarship I am unlikely to be able to take up a place. I know I am in the running for it but we haven't had the 'full' application form yet.

I hope you get a shot at it, its based on your income, parents income or if they are employed, unemployed or on social welfare and also the number of dependent children/ siblings are in the family.

WoolahUrma wrote: »
    What kind of hours are you talking about once your in there?

I assume 9 to 5, 5 days a week plus study.

Would a part time job be out of the question?

I assume that a lot of us applying for grad med will be applying for a loan if we get an offer. I assume that the loan kicks in once you finish the degree.

What can an intern expect to gross including overtime?

I know the basic is 35k odd but the average including the amount of OT your average intern does is difficult to find online.

i can only advise you of what i have been told. Two of my mates are in UL, one took out a 100k loan (when the banks were offering it) and she's in 4th year now, the other guy got the scholarship but there is no way he could have done it without it and his degree score and gamsat score were fantastic and that's what gave him the extra bit over the other applicants.

I haven't met them face to face since Christmas because they are literally in the UL library every hour of the day studying. So working a part time job is out the window! I was hoping myself to keep on a few shifts on in the hospital but that seems very unlikely IF i am lucky enough to get offered a place!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭WoolahUrma

chips365 wrote: »
    i can only advise you of what i have been told. Two of my mates are in UL, one took out a 100k loan (when the banks were offering it) and she's in 4th year now, the other guy got the scholarship but there is no way he could have done it without it and his degree score and gamsat score were fantastic and that's what gave him the extra bit over the other applicants.

I haven't met them face to face since Christmas because they are literally in the UL library every hour of the day studying. So working a part time job is out the window! I was hoping myself to keep on a few shifts on in the hospital but that seems very unlikely IF i am lucky enough to get offered a place!

Yeah, I suppose this is all just conjecture until the offers come out but having read a few posts and articles its worth getting a handle on how the course is going to be financed and how thats going to square off with what you might expect to earn after the degree is conferred.

Seems to be quite a bit of extra pressure for interns to cover the loan repayments while trying to earn a crust and get the experience they want

Yeah, I suppose this is all just conjecture until the offers come out but having read a few posts and articles its worth getting a handle on how the course is going to be financed and how thats going to square off with what you might expect to earn after the degree is conferred.

Seems to be quite a bit of extra pressure for interns to cover the loan repayments while trying to earn a crust and get the experience they want

Its not easy, and so many had to refuse it last year on the basis of not being able to fund the 4 years. When i was doing my nursing internship I was paid about €340 per week for the final intern year and I struggled to survive on that. Take out fuel, rent, food, and a loan and there is practically nothing to live on. Now imagine trying to support a familt ect... The reality soon hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Its not easy, and so many had to refuse it last year on the basis of not being able to fund the 4 years. When i was doing my nursing internship I was paid about €340 per week for the final intern year and I struggled to survive on that. Take out fuel, rent, food, and a loan and there is practically nothing to live on. Now imagine trying to support a familt ect... The reality soon hit!

True. I think the removal of the 100K loan pretty much killed the opportunity for anyone with families who can't stop working or who need those living expenses covered somehow. I'll most definitely have to still live in the family home if I get in (hoping so much) somewhere in Dublin. If the GAMSAT wasn't an exam where your score is relative based on others, then you could just get a rough feeling of how you did. I have no idea, I just think it went a little better than last time.

Regardless, I'm so glad that my parents are ok with supporting me throughout GM, otherwise I wouldn't have any money. Ill have to budget 3x as much as I do now... The books and health exam, vaccinations are gonna be another 300 to fork over at the start on top of some anatomy books you will need. They are expensive as F*%^. I saw med books go anywhere from 58-230e.

• Advertisement

Hypnos wrote: »
    True. I think the removal of the 100K loan pretty much killed the opportunity for anyone with families who can't stop working or who need those living expenses covered somehow. I'll most definitely have to still live in the family home if I get in (hoping so much) somewhere in Dublin. If the GAMSAT wasn't an exam where your score is relative based on others, then you could just get a rough feeling of how you did. I have no idea, I just think it went a little better than last time.

Regardless, I'm so glad that my parents are ok with supporting me throughout GM, otherwise I wouldn't have any money. Ill have to budget 3x as much as I do now... The books and health exam, vaccinations are gonna be another 300 to fork over at the start on top of some anatomy books you will need. They are expensive as F*%^. I saw med books go anywhere from 58-230e.

I know mate, some of the books cost a bomb! Have a few books already from nursing that will double over for use in medicine. Im not too concerned about the financial aspect of the course, i just want to get in to it first. it was my first time doing the exam and anyone that asks me how it went i cant answer. Its the first exam i have ever sat where i honestly dont know how it went. I found myself not being able to say that im 100% sure thats the answer.

I know mate, some of the books cost a bomb! Have a few books already from nursing that will double over for use in medicine. Im not too concerned about the financial aspect of the course, i just want to get in to it first. it was my first time doing the exam and anyone that asks me how it went i cant answer. Its the first exam i have ever sat where i honestly dont know how it went. I found myself not being able to say that im 100% sure thats the answer.

That pretty much summarises how 90% of the people feel after it. :/ I keep getting distracted thinking about it. Don't want to sit it again.

Awh :( Why did this thread start to wither? The 2012 gamsat thread was much more active.

Awh :( Why did this thread start to wither? The 2012 gamsat thread was much more active.

If we had some point of reference for the test we would be yapping, but we don't so it's sit and wait time. Relax enjoy the long weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

If we had some point of reference for the test we would be yapping, but we don't so it's sit and wait time. Relax enjoy the long weekend!
    Yep!
    We should all go and take up an interesting hobby. All the way until the 31st July when the offers come out ;)! That's a hell of a lot of waiting for my liking!
    Maybe it'd be a good idea to get stuck into some Year 1 books... Hmmm.... Anyone?

• Advertisement

demure wrote: »
    Yep!
    We should all go and take up an interesting hobby. All the way until the 31st July when the offers come out ;)! That's a hell of a lot of waiting for my liking!
    Maybe it'd be a good idea to get stuck into some Year 1 books... Hmmm.... Anyone?

Don't knock hobbies! You've gotta have balance. Might as well get learning those skills now.

Yep!

Luckily I have exams in my final exams in 5 weeks :) It manages to distract me from time to time. I'm not gonna touch a medicine book to start learning until I know what GAMSAT score I got... Don't wanna get my hopes up and then get disappointed :S

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Scofield

A couple of things guys,

Firstly, congratulations on having completed the GAMSAT, and best of luck to you all when results come out. I know I and a lot of others felt dreadful coming out of the exam last March and a lot of us are now nearing the end of GEM 1, so don't worry too much, put the exam behind you if you can and keep yourselves occupied until the results are released!

As for working part time, I know quite a few people who have continued to work in some capacity during first year. It's not easy, and I don't work myself, but it is doable, up to this point anyway!

Finally, I wouldn't touch a book this summer if you're starting GEM in September. You'll have more than enough time to look at this stuff over the course of the rest of your life, enjoy the bit of freedom while you have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 IEMedAp

When I finished GAMSAT I emerged zombified (I'd been running on Caffeine all day having not slept a wink the night before) and went straight to nearest pub. Had no idea how I'd done. Results came as a nice surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Michael Scofield

I couldn't even manage the pub, I went straight home and collapsed into my chair for the evening!

I couldn't even manage the pub, I went straight home and collapsed into my chair for the evening!

I had to wait around for a train, hence the rapid drinking.

I went home for a pint and fell asleep at 8 like a baby :)

I traveled a bit to get to the centre so no sauce for me. I was a shell of a man that night. Don't worry, I made up for it this weekend.

Another thing. I don't know how so many people had time to use the toilet during the English section. I nearly burst but I couldn't have spared the 5 min.

I tried to get back into the study during the week but I reacted badly to it. It's too soon, the test is still to fresh in the mind.

I traveled a bit to get to the centre so no sauce for me. I was a shell of a man that night. Don't worry, I made up for it this weekend.

Another thing. I don't know how so many people had time to use the toilet during the English section. I nearly burst but I couldn't have spared the 5 min.

I tried to get back into the study during the week but I reacted badly to it. It's too soon, the test is still to fresh in the mind.

Not every person gets the exact* same exam. Some questions vary. I had 5 cartoons in question 1 and a lot of diagrams so I was bursting too and did take a piss and just managed to finish it in time. I know other people got a lot of really long extracts from books.

Not every person gets the exact* same exam. Some questions vary. I had 5 cartoons in question 1 and a lot of diagrams so I was bursting too and did take a piss and just managed to finish it in time. I know other people got a lot of really long extracts from books.

I did get a lot of passages.

7% decrease in med applications this year, might affect the intake mark.

• Advertisement

No doubt down to the appalling lack of funding.

Couldn't agree more. Yeh see about 85% of the questions are the same but they mix it up a bit for research purposes. It's why your booklet number is so vital!

Do the colleges alot a specific number of places for international students every year or are the places offered solely on the score?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerrad01

Do the colleges alot a specific number of places for international students every year or are the places offered solely on the score?

yeah there is a set number of places every year for internationals, as they bring in the $$$

and stay positive guys, i got in first time with 3 months study coming from a non science background...so its very possible! plus with demand down this year, grad med is going to be more about who can afford it rather than scores soon!

nerrad01 wrote: »
    yeah there is a set number of places every year for internationals, as they bring in the $$$

and stay positive guys, i got in first time with 3 months study coming from a non science background...so its very possible! plus with demand down this year, grad med is going to be more about who can afford it rather than scores soon!

My story is similar to yours. Non science plus a couple of months study. I reckon lower expectations to avoid disappointment.

Did anyone attend the cork test?

My story is similar to yours. Non science plus a couple of months study. I reckon lower expectations to avoid disappointment.

Did anyone attend the cork test?

Yeh, I don't want to get my hopes up either. To be honest the international students aren't given many places because they bring more money but because they bring the rank of the university up.

The EU students pay 15K and the other half is paid by the HEA. So the universities are still getting more than 120,000 grand for the Irish/EU applicants in total. The international students bring in 170K for 4 years (44K/yr) which I know is quite a bit more but reputation has a lot to do with it and if international students want to study in your university it looks really good.

No doubt that money plays are role but I think reputation is far more important and a greater factor. Universities are ranked based on their facilities, student/teacher ration, international students, budget and research intensity. The more international students you have the higher ranking of your university and as a result, you get more funding and investment and it has a positive domino effect. The extra 12K/yr per med students is nothing compared to the positive international status.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Did you attend UCD's open day Hypnos..?

I've only been to the RCSI one and I have to say, it was love at first sight!

The only downfall is the long travel to Connolly hospital for me, something that could be quite time consuming from Killiney...

I do love RCSI though...

Did you attend UCD's open day Hypnos..?

I've only been to the RCSI one and I have to say, it was love at first sight!

The only downfall is the long travel to Connolly hospital for me, something that could be quite time consuming from Killiney...

I do love RCSI though...

I attended the GEM open day, but the previous year. I'm attending UCD at the moment. In my final year of chem. The funny thing is that I live 10mins from Connolly hospital :D but I still put UCD down as my first choice. You spend the entire first year of RCSI in Sandyford which is frekin ages away from where I live (near Connolly) and traveling to UCD is bad enough but Sandyford is even further away :(

However, if you go to UCD, Vincents hospital is a 10min walk from UCD and a single bus gets me from home to UCD, albeit the 90min journey. I choose UCD for reasons of familiarity. I happen to be extremely familiar with their system of grading, semester break down and not to mention I know a few undergrads in med there who told me quite a bit about it too.

In addition I know some of the med lecturers there and loads of the science professors who do teach quite a few modules in the first two years of GEM. A couple of the first year GEM modules on the syllabus I already completed in my undergraduate degree as part of my (Medicinal Chemistry) degree and some medical elective modules I took up throughout my time there.... It's basically a degree composed of 70% chem, 15% biochem, 15% pharmacology. So I would be exempt from those modules considering I already completed them :) Since they are identical with the same module code I can sit those out, which also be a nice touch.

I have a feeling that RCSI would be better if I looked at the two objectively, but I grew a bond with UCD. Who knows, maybe I change my preferences. I have to have a think about it. First the results of the GAMSAT are needed and I have to worry about those till I'm pressed for a decision. A change in environment would be welcome and I'd say degrees from different establishments looks nicer than from one. However, RCSI is also more expensive and the loan does not even cover the full fees. You're loan is about 2-3K short so I have a lot to think about when the time comes and I'm just hoping that I got a 60 in this GAMSAT to get into either UCD or RCSI and I would be the happiest bunny in the world.

I attended the GEM open day, but the previous year. I'm attending UCD at the moment. In my final year of chem. The funny thing is that I live 10mins from Connolly hospital :D but I still put UCD down as my first choice. You spend the entire first year of RCSI in Sandyford which is frekin ages away from where I live (near Connolly) and traveling to UCD is bad enough but Sandyford is even further away :(

However, if you go to UCD, Vincents hospital is a 10min walk from UCD and a single bus gets me from home to UCD, albeit the 90min journey. I choose UCD for reasons of familiarity. I happen to be extremely familiar with their system of grading, semester break down and not to mention I know a few undergrads in med there who told me quite a bit about it too.

In addition I know some of the med lecturers there and loads of the science professors who do teach quite a few modules in the first two years of GEM. A couple of the first year GEM modules on the syllabus I already completed in my undergraduate degree as part of my (Medicinal Chemistry) degree and some medical elective modules I took up throughout my time there.... It's basically a degree composed of 70% chem, 15% biochem, 15% pharmacology. So I would be exempt from those modules considering I already completed them :) Since they are identical with the same module code I can sit those out, which also be a nice touch.

I have a feeling that RCSI would be better if I looked at the two objectively, but I grew a bond with UCD. Who knows, maybe I change my preferences. I have to have a think about it. First the results of the GAMSAT are needed and I have to worry about those till I'm pressed for a decision. A change in environment would be welcome and I'd say degrees from different establishments looks nicer than from one. However, RCSI is also more expensive and the loan does not even cover the full fees. You're loan is about 2-3K short so I have a lot to think about when the time comes and I'm just hoping that I got a 60 in this GAMSAT to get into either UCD or RCSI and I would be the happiest bunny in the world.

So you always had this route in mind for medicine?

Is Grad med itself biology heavy?
    I hope so, the bio was the most interesting (easiest for me to do) followed by the physics, then the chem! I found the calculations difficult. I had a general idea of what was required for the chem questions but I dont think that I was comfortable enough with the various elements

• Advertisement

So you always had this route in mind for medicine?

Is Grad med itself biology heavy?
    I hope so, the bio was the most interesting (easiest for me to do) followed by the physics, then the chem! I found the calculations difficult. I had a general idea of what was required for the chem questions but I dont think that I was comfortable enough with the various elements

My intended route was undergrad, but despite doing well in the HPAT I didn't get sufficient results in the LC. So after my results in the leaving cert, from that day on I had GradMed in mind, and as time went I orientated my learning (optional and elective modules) towards it as much as possible.

From what heard (undergrads and open evening from ucd) it's very biochem and pharmacology intensive the beginning. The only type of bio is anatomy really. A lot!! of anatomy. I know the undergrads had to do so many anatomy modules. I'm pretty sure we have to cover those as well. If by biology you mean physiology, immunology etc? then yeh. But the biology I think you're on about is like the cardiovascular system, renal, hepatic etc? Yeh it's pretty heavy on those but they fall into med and pharmacology modules. Not the type of biology in the gamsat though! We will see I guess but the UCD website has the breakdown of the 4 years of GradMed and all the modules you cover and when (we were given this on the open evening as well). Take a look at it, thought it does change slightly from year to year!

Advertisement