Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Wishful thinking123

Hi all,

I'm sitting the GAMSAT in March as a practice run as I have woefully little prep done. I'm hoping to sit it properly in either September 2013 or March 2014 and fingers crossed score well enough for entry to grad med. Can anyone recommend a good essay correcting service I can use? Preferably one that doesn't charge ridiculous prices...... I've done a few practice essays under timed conditions but it's very hard to know whether or not they're complete drivel without an unbiased opinion. Any help appreciated :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Mydayoff

Hi all,

I'm sitting the GAMSAT in March as a practice run as I have woefully little prep done. I'm hoping to sit it properly in either September 2013 or March 2014 and fingers crossed score well enough for entry to grad med. Can anyone recommend a good essay correcting service I can use? Preferably one that doesn't charge ridiculous prices...... I've done a few practice essays under timed conditions but it's very hard to know whether or not they're complete drivel without an unbiased opinion. Any help appreciated :)

What if you do get a good result though. Would this mean that you wouldn't have to sit it again next year? Inotherwords.. how long will this be valid for? Can you carry your result forward?

Does this mean that you have to pay the €300 twice???

Mydayoff wrote: »
    What if you do get a good result though. Would this mean that you wouldn't have to sit it again next year? Inotherwords.. how long will this be valid for? Can you carry your result forward?

Does this mean that you have to pay the €300 twice???

It is highly unlikely that I'll score well enough this year to get a place - I've only gotten through the basics of chemistry and org chem. I haven't touched physics or bio. I'm doing it this March so at least I'll be oriented with the stress and timing of the day when I do it for real in Sep 13/ March 14. If by some miracle I do score well, I think the score can be carried but I'd have to check it. And yes, the €310 would need to be paid again, along with the CAO application fee

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

And yes, the €310 would need to be paid again, along with the CAO application fee

This is not the case. Your GAMSAT score is valid for two years, without extra payment. The fee is to sit the exam, and is paid per sitting. http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/results/currency-of-results

If you apply to the CAO a second time, you pay the CAO fee again.

DeadEight wrote: »
    This is not the case. Your GAMSAT score is valid for two years, without extra payment. The fee is to sit the exam, and is paid per sitting. http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/results/currency-of-results

If you apply to the CAO a second time, you pay the CAO fee again.

Yes I meant €310 if I resit....but I'm afraid the point of my original post had been totally lost ;) Has anyone used a good essay correction service for section II practice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nolimits12

3 weeks to go. Terrified is not the word for it. This exam is sucking the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fifitrix24

Hi guys!
    Havent really be reading this thread but though I could give some input being a first year grad med student (I remember reading boards like it was gospel when I was doing gamsat/waiting for results)
    Just really wanted to say that anyone from a non-science background who's worried about getting into or coping with the course, don't be! It's all about how hard you're prepared to work and if you have an aptitude for the subject. I came from the most non-science background you can get, I was a fashion designer! but I've absolutely loved my time doing medicine so far, I really feel like it was the best lifestyle change I could've undertaken.
    Don't let anyone tell you you're not cut out for medicine just because you haven't done science in a while, medicine is way more about learning reams of stuff off and getting an understanding for the material than in depth organic chemistry. The organic chemsitry you do for the gamsat hasn't come up once! I hadnt done science since junior cert and I've been getting on really well, I wouldn't mention it in person but I have gotten near the top of the class on the last few exams we've done as I say it's all about how much you want it!
    Also with the gamsat if you've any aptitude for writing concentrate on s1 and s2 so much! I was doing loads of reading around current affairs in the months approaching the gamsat and found it paid off hugely when writing the essays. I ended up doing fantastic in section 1 and 2 and absolutely dire in the science (i think i came in the lowest percentile lol) but the essay and english section were more than enough to get me good marks :) anyway Im really not writing this to brag or anything just hoping to give anyone who needs it a bit of insight!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 arzieparzie

Fifitrix24 wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    Havent really be reading this thread but though I could give some input being a first year grad med student (I remember reading boards like it was gospel when I was doing gamsat/waiting for results)
    Just really wanted to say that anyone from a non-science background who's worried about getting into or coping with the course, don't be! It's all about how hard you're prepared to work and if you have an aptitude for the subject. I came from the most non-science background you can get, I was a fashion designer! but I've absolutely loved my time doing medicine so far, I really feel like it was the best lifestyle change I could've undertaken.
    Don't let anyone tell you you're not cut out for medicine just because you haven't done science in a while, medicine is way more about learning reams of stuff off and getting an understanding for the material than in depth organic chemistry. The organic chemsitry you do for the gamsat hasn't come up once! I hadnt done science since junior cert and I've been getting on really well, I wouldn't mention it in person but I have gotten near the top of the class on the last few exams we've done as I say it's all about how much you want it!
    Also with the gamsat if you've any aptitude for writing concentrate on s1 and s2 so much! I was doing loads of reading around current affairs in the months approaching the gamsat and found it paid off hugely when writing the essays. I ended up doing fantastic in section 1 and 2 and absolutely dire in the science (i think i came in the lowest percentile lol) but the essay and english section were more than enough to get me good marks :) anyway Im really not writing this to brag or anything just hoping to give anyone who needs it a bit of insight!

I couldn't agree with you more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 watzup

Fifitrix24 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Thanks a million for the heads up! :) I actually don't know anyone that regrets doing it. Its all about attitude I guess! In my undergrad degree I was one of the very few people straight out of Leaving Cert, with most having worked/studied something else before. Life experience really helps put things into perspective going on everything I seen at college. Anyways thanks again for your post and good luck to everyone doing the GAMSAT on the 23rd! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DocDoom

Anyone want to play the annual score guessing game?
    I'm sitting on a rather unimpressive 59...hoping to get a place in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 gh1

DocDoom wrote: »
    Anyone want to play the annual score guessing game?
    I'm sitting on a rather unimpressive 59...hoping to get a place in Dublin!

Wait how is 59 unimpressive? If I got 59 I would be on top of the world no joke!

gh1 wrote: »
    Wait how is 59 unimpressive? If I got 59 I would be on top of the world no joke!

Well, I has happy enough last year, was on the 85th percentile. I'm just worried the average is gonna shoot up this year and leave me hanging. Think it's kinda borderline for a place in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nolimits12

I have a feeling its going to stay the same, unless loads of super geniuses decide to take the exam this year. Then we're screwed! From looking at past results and cut offs, they all stay around the same figures.

Luckily, I'm on a different grading scale to you guys doing med. Vets compete only against aspiring vets. Our gamsat score is only worth half of our application too.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerrad01

I think everyone should have a good read of this thread, just to come to terms with some of the realities of being a gem graduate.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056894049

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

I've seen that people in the UK can apply to sit the Irish GAMSAT in test centres in the UK...is the opposite also the case, i.e. can us Irish candidates sit the UK GAMSAT from a test centre in Ireland in September instead of travelling over?

DoctorDre wrote: »
    I've seen that people in the UK can apply to sit the Irish GAMSAT in test centres in the UK...is the opposite also the case, i.e. can us Irish candidates sit the UK GAMSAT from a test centre in Ireland in September instead of travelling over?

Nope...you gotta hop on the ferry I'm afraid...

Thought so! I wonder why we can't do this but they can :confused: Anyway, hopefully I won't be needing to sit it in September...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Where are you getting that from? The gamsat site says otherwise: http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/results/currency-of-results
    That's expensive misadvice to be giving if you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 arzieparzie

Biologic wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from? The gamsat site says otherwise: http://gamsat.acer.edu.au/results/currency-of-results

No they are right... you can use scores from any GAMSAT sitting to apply anywhere but there is no test centre in September in Ireland it is only in March. If you want to sit the GAMSAT again in Sept you'll need to go to the UK

Biologic wrote: »

Don't see how that says otherwise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Don't see how that says otherwise...

They're right, you can use September results for Ireland.

Sorry I think I've confused everyone, I just wondered if there would be any test centres in Dublin for the UK exam in September rather than going over to the UK...don't think so though!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Yup, sorry, my bad. I thought DocDoom was saying you had to sit in the UK if you wanted to use the result there.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

Hi folks, just read the last few posts and thought I might add my own experience for what its worth. I'm a final year GEM student at UL due to finish my last rotation in 5 weeks, and it really only seems like yesterday that I sat the GAMSAT exam. I really just wanted to say that all the things that worry you before the exam are not necessarily the things you will worry about having done the exam (I think I was really sweating about organic chemistry and stuff like that - turned out I did fine in that but cocked up the essays. I won't say that practice won't help because I certainly should have done more, but I would advise people to place more emphasis on keeping a clear head), and the things which you worry about of the course itself age, prev background etc (for me age was a big one - I was 28 starting) won't matter in the slightest once you've started. It's all about keeping on top of the course once you started. To that end I advise spending some time sorting out what way you will keep your notes etc and stick with it - I was still reorganising myself at Christmas in 1st year trying to find the most suitable approach. Studying in a productive group is far superior to studying on your own in my opinion but it can be difficult to organise.

I ended up in Limerick which was disappointing for me at the time because I wanted to stay in Dublin, I only heard about their PBL curriculum afterwards so this hadn't crossed my mind. Some people like it, others don't - I did. Every now and then I come across a consultant that takes a pop shot at it, people commenting on it that haven't seen it in action are showing their own ignorance. There is an entire thread somewhere about the pros and cons of UL which I've added to from time to time, but I'll just say that all my worries about having to move kind of seem silly now. Its not like I would have benefited much from hanging around with my friends during the week - medicine has a way of keeping your evenings busy anyway. The difficulty of the course will be reflected by how much work you put in. I know that sounds like the same thing everyone is saying, but really it is true. At the times when I've been focussed and organised the course has been handy, and at the times when I haven't I've been punished with having to do repeats etc, and they are INCREDIBLY stressful when you consider how much money repeating a year is.

Kinda worried about the state of healthcare in Ireland now at this stage. I'll take anything I'm given and be happy with it at least for now, but the intern matching is centralised so hopefully I can get back to Dublin. Definitely a lot of people looking at options abroad. Hopefully it will be better when you guys are coming through.

Anyway, apologies if the above is a bit waffley or repeating what someone else might have said. As it happens I am having difficulty with my own advice and procrastinating. Going to try get back to work now. Good luck to everyone in their GAMSAT anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Hey all...
    Just wondering if you can help with this... I am really confused by how the CAO system works.
    I got 58 in the Gamsat and I intend to use this result for Sept'13 entry. My hope is to stay in Dublin as all my family and friends are here, but if I am not given a place here I am prepared to move to either Cork or Limerick (I think in this order of preference).
    Because my score is quite borderline I really don't know what tactic to use to ensure I am in SOMEWHERE in September. The CAO informed me I should be giving them the order according to my preference. It would be certainly between UCD or RCSI for me, thirdly Cork and lastly, Limerick. But if I put these two down as my first choice, should all Cork and Limerick accept their offers, if it comes to round x, there may be no places left for other people...?
    I would really appreciate some help with this, thanks in advance :)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Ok, so your score is 58 and your order of preference is

1 - RCSI
    2 - UCD
    3 - UCC
    4 - UL
    (the order of the Dublin colleges doesn't really matter for this example)

Let's pretend the results come out and the required scores are

RCSI - 60
    UCD - 59
    UCC - 57
    UL - 55

The way the CAO works, is that you are assigned a course based on:
    1) Your order of preference
    2) If you have the points

So in this case, you don't have the points for your top 2 choices (RCSI & UCD), so you are given your next preference, UCC, as you have the points. So off you pop to Cork.

Basically, as the CAO said, if you put them in your order of preference, and you have a good enough score for any of them, you will be guaranteed a place in whichever your top choice is that you have the score for.

However, let's say after you accept your offer for UCC, the points for UCD drop (due to people not accepting their offers/deferring), and low and behold, you get an offer for UCD. You still have your place in UCC, and you can accept the place in UCD, if you so wish. But you'll never get an offer for UL, as you already have the points for UCC, and UCC is higher on your preference list.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭eire_245

might be worth noting that if you are borderline then sort of prepare yourself if you do want to switch, i got ucd in the 2nd round last year and they literally give you 24 hours to decide but i had already got my loan in place and house down at UL so wasn't really an option.

Id also advise to take the bank loan into consideration in choosing as without it grad meds a no go for most! we had ppl drop out because they couldnt sort out their loan.....and the full loan is essentially gone now, so factor in only receiving a fees only loan

This day next week it will be almost over! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭demure

Thank you so much Beardedmaster and Eire, that's very helpful!
    You really put my mind at ease, see I was under the impression that you got a reply from each of the Unis separately, and it moved down the order choice simultaneously with the rounds; say round 0 - RCSI - reply, onto round 1 - UCD - reply, and so on! I was well freaked out by my system, wth was I thinking ;)!
    Well, I will be resitting the Gamsat next week, hoping for a few points up to secure a place in Dublin... Wishing all of you sitting it as well the best of luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

demure wrote: »
    Hey all...
    Just wondering if you can help with this... I am really confused by how the CAO system works.
    I got 58 in the Gamsat and I intend to use this result for Sept'13 entry. My hope is to stay in Dublin as all my family and friends are here, but if I am not given a place here I am prepared to move to either Cork or Limerick (I think in this order of preference).
    Because my score is quite borderline I really don't know what tactic to use to ensure I am in SOMEWHERE in September. The CAO informed me I should be giving them the order according to my preference. It would be certainly between UCD or RCSI for me, thirdly Cork and lastly, Limerick. But if I put these two down as my first choice, should all Cork and Limerick accept their offers, if it comes to round x, there may be no places left for other people...?
    I would really appreciate some help with this, thanks in advance :)!!

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Same score same situation. Except it's just not financially feasible for me to leave Dublin. So I'll be aiming for a 60 this time I hope. I was in touch with the Program Office in the Dublin med colleges and though it's difficult to predict what the points will be, they expect:

UCD - 58-59
    RCSI - 59-60

I think since the full loan is no longer an option a lot of people can't do it anymore. I was also wondering to anyone who is in GradMed did you start working at the loan after CAO or did you prep some papers beforehand or something. Anyways, best of luck to everyone on Saturday. Gotta get back to the papers now :D

Advertisement