Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Surfing

Options

Comments

Beer Baron wrote: »

There is nothing stupid going on in this picture other than the fact the Health & Safety brigade have jumped all over it and the folks who say "Well if the Gardai can do it...................."

If the car is moving it's stupid really, they are Gardai, in a Garda car.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

Has anyone seen the picture of the 4 Gardai hanging out the windows of a moving squad car.

I seem to remember a few lads from Tipperary getting driving bans for something similar a few months back.
    0005ce65-450.jpg

I heard about this on Joe Duffy today and he has the picture on his website.[/QUOTE]
    it should be in this thread Garda fined €900 for offences following fatal accident outside Limerick :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

are they Gardai, they don't like they're in uniform to me, could this just be a case of the car being "borrowed" by mechanics in local garage, and taken for a spin

I've seen it happen with Garda motorbikes in a Honda dealership

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The lesson we should all learn here is, Garda or public, by all means have fun but make sure some twat isnt recording you. IMO, virtually any picture of anyone doing pretty any activity could be picked apart on an internet forum (or radio show..) as something immoral or illegal.

As Cardinal Richelieu supposedly said:
    If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

:o Sorry OSI, that wasn't meant to read as a go at you. it was supposed to read as "who cares about the cops hanging out the window, there is more important things going on in that picture"

*goes and hides* :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Weylin wrote: »
    threadid=2056611936"]Garda fined €900 for offences following fatal accident outside Limerick[/URL] :pac::pac::pac:

Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why ?

Generally a statement followed by a ":pac:" means it's a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

hunting-season-is-now-open.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The award for the most sensationalistic post of the day goes to....
    I see 4 garda in uniform hanging out the windows of a squad car on a narrow country road.

From the angle the picture was taken, there is either a bus or a large van/truck travelling directly behind them.

If the driver on approaching the sharp bend in front of him has to take any kind of evasive action all 4 window hangers could end up on the road,

If nothing else its reckless and stupid in the extreme.

Won't someone think of the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!

The road isn't narrow.
    You can't tell for sure if they are even Guards.
    You can't tell if the car is moving.
    There is nothing directly behind them there is a healthy dose of digital zoom in that photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Doge

The incident was discussed on Joe Duffy's radio show today:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/

Have a listen to the first audio clip on the page.

And especially to the crackpot woman 9 mins in who had her house egged...
    was annoyed that the gardai took only 20 mins to arrive,
    expected them to be able to identify the kids fingerprints from the egg shells she had gathered,

and how she found a piece of the carton and went around to every local shop,
    trying to see if they could verify the source of the cartoon,
    and if they could show her CCTV footage of them selling the eggs to kids!

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

waveform wrote: »
    she found a piece of the carton and went around to every local shop,
    trying to see if they could verify the source of the cartoon,
    and if they could show her CCTV footage of them selling the eggs to kids!

CSI: Mayo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Personally I can see nothing out of the ordinary in the picture.

j1t63en4.jpg

Personally I can see nothing out of the ordinary in the picture.

j1t63en4.jpg

Brilliant! do you mind if I repost this in the Arcade and Retro forum?

waveform wrote: »
    Brilliant! do you mind if I repost this in the Arcade and Retro forum?

Be my guest:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HelloHello17

Look i know it might look bad. I am not a garda but i know for a fact that there is 4 girls in that car that are NOT a member of the Garda. The car is pulled up and they sat out the windows while the car was stopped and the guard promptly told them to sit back inside and put on belts. They are part of a sports team hence the same tops!

Look i know it might look bad. I am not a garda but i know for a fact that there is 4 girls in that car that are NOT a member of the Garda. The car is pulled up and they sat out the windows while the car was stopped and the guard promptly told them to sit back inside and put on belts. They are part of a sports team hence the same tops!

5116916182_2af2373afc.jpg

Have you any proof to back up that the statement is true though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Is it possible that it's a photoshop?

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Is it possible that it's a photoshop?

It seems to be alright. If you look carefully the colours on the animated game characters are too saturated looking to be real people! ;)

j1t63en4.jpg

On a serious note though, that would be one really hard photoshop to do:

because of a. the poor quality of the photo

and b: the windshield adding a distinctive tint and reducing the quality even further.

The worse the quality, the harder it is to blend in photos of people and get the lighting perfect. (to an extent)

Obviously if there was huge pixelation it would be easier. But then we probably wouldn't be able to make the photo out properly anyway!

No they aren't. Its the camera flash in the reflectors.

I'm seriously doubting there was a flash when the photo was taken.

Why is there no reflection in the windshield?

And not one other part of the car shows a reflection of light, we'd surely see it elsewhere on the car.

The glow definitely looks like the light that would come from bulbs inside the cars lights imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I still can't see the surfboard. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I see 4 garda in uniform hanging out the windows of a squad car on a narrow country road.

From the angle the picture was taken, there is either a bus or a large van/truck travelling directly behind them.

If the driver on approaching the sharp bend in front of him has to take any kind of evasive action all 4 window hangers could end up on the road,

If nothing else its reckless and stupid in the extreme.
    tossy wrote: »

The road isn't narrow.
    There is nothing directly behind them there is a healthy dose of digital zoom in that photo.

Agree with tossy - that road is not narrow. It's a normal road, most likely an N route. You may consider it narrow if you're used to 4 lanes along the M50 but that road in the photo is not narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Try running the pic through fotoforensics.com and read the heat on the pic. If I'm reading the tutorial right there is a lot of heat around the back of the car where the strips and lettering are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Find it very hard to believe that they are gardai. Seems They still have their utility belts on if that's what they are. Any guard knows that to lose the asp or handcuffs would be a nightmare to replace.
    In my opinion its a Photoshop or people who aren't gardai taking the piss.
    How come nobody wondered why the gardai are wearing navy tshirts..........four uniformed members in a marked car acting the total fool.....unlikely.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I still can't see the surfboard. :confused:

Look Again

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HelloHello17

Yes I have proof to back up the statement that they are in fact not garda but i cannot comment any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Yes I have proof to back up the statement that they are in fact not garda but i cannot comment any further.
    That's not a lot of use then, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

tossy wrote: »

The road isn't narrow.

We'll have to agree to differ on the road width, in my opinion its narrow given the continuous white line approaching the bend and the small area given over to hard shoulder.
    True.
    True again, if it isn't moving its badly parked.
    If there is nothing directly behind them where do you think the photographer was, how can you tell that there is a healthy dose of digital zoom used in the photo.

Thanks for the reply. What you said early seems to be the most logical explanation, maybe those lights we're seeing are actually parking lights?

I'm not sure would someone actually bother registering today and making that post if they didn't really know something.

The vehicle the picture was taken from is possibly a bus /van for the team, and was taken by one of the members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Well cheers for that then...
    Out of interest, are you the one driving?

Advertisement