Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ng1

I would also really appreciate a copy of the solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ErikaMck

Thinking of sitting Applied Math in 2017, not sure what to do? Is it too late to try pick it up now? I'm doing higher level maths and have always been top of my maths class that being said I only got a B in my Christmas exam. My school don't offer physics either. My main reason for wanting to pick it up is my downfall in languages. I'm doing higher level french and irish and know i will not get an A or B in either. If I take up Applied Math I'll be doing 7 subjects so irish and french won't count for points. Any help is welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

ng1 wrote: »
    I would also really appreciate a copy of the solutions.
    pm sent
    Thinking of sitting Applied Math in 2017, not sure what to do? Is it too late to try pick it up now? I'm doing higher level maths and have always been top of my maths class that being said I only got a B in my Christmas exam. My school don't offer physics either. My main reason for wanting to pick it up is my downfall in languages. I'm doing higher level french and irish and know i will not get an A or B in either. If I take up Applied Math I'll be doing 7 subjects so irish and french won't count for points. Any help is welcomed

Will be very hard without a physics references

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ErikaMck

ErikaMck wrote: »
    Thinking of sitting Applied Math in 2017, not sure what to do? Is it too late to try pick it up now? I'm doing higher level maths and have always been top of my maths class that being said I only got a B in my Christmas exam. My school don't offer physics either. My main reason for wanting to pick it up is my downfall in languages. I'm doing higher level french and irish and know i will not get an A or B in either. If I take up Applied Math I'll be doing 7 subjects so irish and french won't count for points. Any help is welcomed.

*8 subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 23 saif.khalid14

Hey I was thinking of doing circular and simple harmonic motion as an extra question(q6). What are people's thoughts on this question? Is it considered a trustable question which won't mess you up in the exam (unlike linear motion and relative velocity in which some years are impossible to get a high mark in)?ie does the difficulty change marginally from year to year.

And is it a solid investment of time on this rather than improving on the usual 6q ?

Any help will be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Could anyone explain how the marking scheme got the answer? Kinda unclear what's happening... It's a Statics question.

Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Could anyone explain how the marking scheme got the answer? Kinda unclear what's happening... It's a Statics question.

Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out. :o
    Do you add 2 and 2, multiply 2 by 2 or square 2 to get the 4th root?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

What questions are you guys covering for the course? Doing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, whatever circular motion question number and 10. 9 by myself

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ella1998

adam240610 wrote: »
    What questions are you guys covering for the course? Doing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, whatever circular motion question number and 10. 9 by myself

Im doing the exact same (1-5,circular motion and 10, apparently they're the most popular)and also covering Q9 by myself, are you learning q9 from the book, i cant find much help for it online?!

ella1998 wrote: »
    Im doing the exact same (1-5,circular motion and 10, apparently they're the most popular)and also covering Q9 by myself, are you learning q9 from the book, i cant find much help for it online?!

I learned it from the book, but that isn't enough to answer all the questions in the book funnily enough... I finished it off with this guys videos, he's extremely good for app math, lookup keystomaths1 on YouTube, he has 159 app math videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 ella1998

adam240610 wrote: »
    I learned it from the book, but that isn't enough to answer all the questions in the book funnily enough... I finished it off with this guys videos, he's extremely good for app math, lookup keystomaths1 on YouTube, he has 159 app math videos

Yeah the book is sometimes a bit funny like that! Must look up the youtube, thanks! :D

Q1 - 7, might do 10!

Q1 - 7, might do 10!

10 only takes about ten minutes tops so it's a handy one all right, all the questions are the same to an extent

ella1998 wrote: »
    Yeah the book is sometimes a bit funny like that! Must look up the youtube, thanks! :D

In the book they take moments about the rod from the centre and spilt up the weight of the rod, he just takes weight from the middle and moments from the end thus cancelling forces. You need both tbh

i used key to maths. Fella is absolutely great . I didnt put the time in , but im sure he got me through it...

https://www.youtube.com/user/LeavingCertMaths/playlists

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Luciole

Could someone send me a copy of the solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Appmaths97

what questions are you all studying?
    im doing 1,2,3,4,5,10 and either statics or circular motion as a back up.
    i dont know which one is easier to learn though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Circular motion easier but absolutely cannot be relied upon for a full question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Appmaths97

Circular motion easier but absolutely cannot be relied upon for a full question.

yeah i can only do the part a's in statics at the moment and i can do most of the shm questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hey just wondering if anyone could help me with the 2015 Q.4 (b) (ii) question? I've got part (i) right and everything but I haven't a clue how to do part two. Can't find any similar questions in my notes copy on it either. I checked the marking scheme and I don't really get where they're pulling their figures from :embarrassed: Could anyone walk me through it please? :)

• Advertisement

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Hey just wondering if anyone could help me with the 2015 Q.4 (b) (ii) question? I've got part (i) right and everything but I haven't a clue how to do part two. Can't find any similar questions in my notes copy on it either. I checked the marking scheme and I don't really get where they're pulling their figures from :embarrassed: Could anyone walk me through it please? :)

When you first separate the weight of the blocks into components, the ones parallel to the slopes give each block an acceleration and the ones perpendicular exert a force on the wedge. When you separate the latter forces (the components acting on the wedge) into their components, you get two that exert a vertical force on the ground and two that attempt to give the wedge acceleration, but which are cancelled out by a combination of each other and the forces caused by the tension in the string.

Apologies if convoluted. Basically, it is the sum of the weight and the vertical components of the four forces acting on the wedge.

Edit: sorry, that's probably very hard to read if you don't already know what it's saying! Maybe it would be better to explain exactly what you don't understand?!

Took me two attempts, I tried to isolate T on both sides since it was the same string but ended up getting (K+1) on the bottom. Odd.

Anyway, the simultaneous equation method got the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

When you first separate the weight of the blocks into components, the ones parallel to the slopes give each block an acceleration and the ones perpendicular exert a force on the wedge. When you separate the latter forces (the components acting on the wedge) into their components, you get two that exert a vertical force on the ground and two that attempt to give the wedge acceleration, but which are cancelled out by a combination of each other and the forces caused by the tension in the string.

Apologies if convoluted. Basically, it is the sum of the weight and the vertical components of the four forces acting on the wedge.

Edit: sorry, that's probably very hard to read if you don't already know what it's saying! Maybe it would be better to explain exactly what you don't understand?!

Thank you so much! That actually makes perfect sense! I never thought to break forces acting on the wedge into vertical and horizontal components so I wasn't sure where the extra forces on the marking scheme were coming from! Thanks a million! :)

Thank you so much! That actually makes perfect sense! I never thought to break forces acting on the wedge into vertical and horizontal components so I wasn't sure where the extra forces on the marking scheme were coming from! Thanks a million! :)

No problem!

Good luck to anybody doing the exam this year. Bit late but i a have book solutions if anybody wants them.

if in the event i dont reply to you, just pm me again. The odd are i forget to send them if i read the message on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Henry2882

Hi, I just started doing applied maths. Just wondering do you need to be studying physics for the subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭VG31

Henry2882 wrote: »
    Hi, I just started doing applied maths. Just wondering do you need to be studying physics for the subject?

No; I do both but there is very little overlap (only two topics so far).

Henry2882 wrote:

No you don't but if your not doing physics because you wouldn't understand it, its probably not the best thing in the world to pick up.
    Maths is far more important to you(well what Maths used to be)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Henry2882 wrote: »

No, not really. I find that applied maths helps a lot with physics, but doing physics doesn't help much with applied maths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

No, not really. I find that applied maths helps a lot with physics, but doing physics doesn't help much with applied maths!

I did applied maths and got a B in the leaving cert. Things like circular motion and vectors etc.... overlap but seriously the things you would see in physics in those areas are like ordinary level compared to you would see in applied maths.

Advertisement