Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPEACH!!!

Options
  • 21-04-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

What is the story with impeachment proceedings in the SU. Me and a few others want to start them again Aoife Kenny the current Education officer because she clearly isn't fit to do her job and with the impending exams coming I would feel a lot better and I know others would if she wasnt in office. The proof is in that screenshot that the Thomond Student Times uploaded earlier. http://i.imgur.com/drK6F.jpg?1%20%20 .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

for **** sake

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

AFAIK there is no facility to remove sabbats from office. At least that seemed to be the consensus during the furore when those allegations against Paddy Rockett were posted.

That screenshot doesn't show that she isn't fit to do her job. It shows that she lacks judgement when it comes to social networks, which is true of every sabbatical officer this year, with the possible exception of Tara.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kragmite

wnolan, do you honestly feel confident in her ability to do her job after reading that. She used facebook to personally attack a student that was a failed presidential candidate, in the words of another student. A very poor attempt at representing student opinion, if it really was a student who said it to her and not her own thoughts. Could you imagine going into her asking for advice about failing an exam. Would she just say " who the **** cares, you failed an exam. Your opinion doesnt matter! "

You can't say that it was only lack of judgement. Kelly o brien shows a lack of judgement when posting. A ****ton at that, but this is completely different. Aoife Kenny has shown that she is unfit for the job that she is currently employed to do by attacking another student by bringing up a past failure. How about this. Hey Aoife, Why does anyone care what the opinion of a failed roscommon rose is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Impeachment for some, miniature American flags for others

Aoife has only a few weeks left on her tenure and while her comments on the medical fees and facebook jibes were ridiculous she's done a decent enough job in her role

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

kragmite wrote: »
    wnolan, do you honestly feel confident in her ability to do her job after reading that.

I feel as confident now as I did last week. I've never had dealings with her, so can't say how good or bad she is at her job, but I've never heard of anyone having major issues with her.
    Could you imagine going into her asking for advice about failing an exam. Would she just say " who the **** cares, you failed an exam. Your opinion doesnt matter! "

Hyperbole much? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

How about this. Hey Aoife, Why does anyone care what the opinion of a failed roscommon rose is ?

how about this for a better one.

Hey Aoife, why does anyone care what the opinion of a failed business student is?

bit rich for the education officer to be giving exam advice when she herself hasn't even completed her degree due to failing lots of modules in fourth year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

^ Nice username

how about this for a better one.

Hey Aoife, why does anyone care what the opinion of a failed business student is?

Seriously ? If that is true then that is just ridiculious. How can she be expected to give advice on education when she doesnt even have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

You trolls are just giving anyone who raises an anti SU point a bad name at this stage

It's not even intelligent at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cablecar

I'm pretty sure our next academic officer hasn't graduated either. God help students next year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Seriously ? If that is true then that is just ridiculious. How can she be expected to give advice on education when she doesnt even have one.

Per the logic that has been represented, you seem to want the education officer to have a degree or else be an unfilled position because without a degree you can't be expected to give advice.

You would also be neglecting her entire 1-3rd years, secondary school education and primary school education if you were to say she doesn't have an education.

I have dealt with Aoife during the year and found her to be good at her job. Over the course of the year I have heard mainly positive comments (there were some negative) so I would consider her to have done a sufficient job.
    Aoife Kenny the current Education officer because she clearly isn't fit to do her job and with the impending exams coming I would feel a lot better and I know others would if she wasnt in office.

If you don't want her in office and would prefer the position to be vacant, don't approach her for any education issue. Problem solved!
    The proof is in that screenshot that the Thomond Student Times uploaded earlier. http://i.imgur.com/drK6F.jpg?1%20%20 .

you are going to have to be more specific as to why a random screenshot can prove that she isn't fit to do her job. One screenshot isn't sufficient, why not talk to anti-soc? You might be able to add to their stalking of sabbats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

am i the only one who thinks all this is overrated...

i dont even mean the 'controversy'...

I'm a fourth year, and former class rep. And in those years, myself, and anyone I know in college doesnt tend to really care about the students union.

haven't needed them, the reps thing is pretty much a waste of time, all the president does is annoy me with emails, and my facebook feed is clogged with muck about this screenshot surrounding more stuff most people i know dont care about...

fair enough...student union is there woohoo, but if i wanted to organise a terrible events list for rag week and run up huge debts, could probably manage that meself.

i think those involved in all of this are a minority and the majority go to college and graduate, only hearing anything from the union when there is free water for exams, and they waste a rake of paper trying to get elected for a position which looks only lovely on their CV...

This is a huge point. The number of people involved with/ who care about the SU have dwindled dramatically this year. The issue then stands; do we actually need an SU? Personally I'm not happy to have these people earn money to provide a (very poor) service that 99% of students don't care about. And there's talk of building a new SU!?!

Cablecar wrote: »
    This is a huge point. The number of people involved with/ who care about the SU have dwindled dramatically this year. The issue then stands; do we actually need an SU? Personally I'm not happy to have these people earn money to provide a (very poor) service that 99% of students don't care about. And there's talk of building a new SU!?!

im not against having an SU. i just dont see what there is to offer the majority of the student body. im sure someone somewhere is writing a massive rant now to correct me and please do, but from my point of view the only thing the SU does for me Mahoneys could do.

Stamps.

For pool, i can play in stables. And i rarely use the student union common room. if it wasnt there i wouldnt miss it... i was shocked to hear they are trying to build new facilities. waste of money.

reunion

Am i wrong to expect the education officer to have proven him/herself academically ? The current one obviously failed an exam or something and doesnt have a degree. Now I understand that when the elections happen they usually dont have their degree but she has been in her job almost a year now and has shown that she lacks the maturity for it. The fact that she couldnt finish her degree adds to it all.

If I dont want her in office I will call for her to be impeached. This is called getting involved in the SU and deciding what you want from your union. Maybe you should try getting involved in the SU instead of taking pot shots at people when they try to take action.

As for the screenshot, how about you read where she uses 1 students opinion to attack another student and then says that she is only doing it as her role as an elected officer. If she thinks that she is right to attack 1 student online because 1 student asked her a question then I would consider her to be very much in the wrong. So wrong in fact that I would consider her unfit to be the education officer and therefore a representitive of students.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Am I the only one who thinks that the UL fourm has gotten a bit boring of late.
    New thread, Su is stupid
    few posts in, tit for tat posts
    Few pages in, personal abuse
    few post later, petee bans someone for personal abuse and tells people to get back on topic
    Few pages after Petee post, warning not heard sceptre locks thread
    repeat.
    About the sabbats its kinda sad the attacks on David and Ruan. If only they tried to pick up the ball instead of blaming everyone and everything for droping the ball. Its also sad to see people ruin friendships over the past year. They are all nice people but they were not ready for the pressure the job brings especially this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

Jester252 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that the UK fourm has gotten a bit boring of late.

eh, if it wasn't for the anti-su threads this forum would just be some derpers posting pictures of cats and complaining about lectures

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    eh, if it wasn't for the anti-su threads this forum would just be some derpers posting pictures of cats and complaining about lectures

god forbid people talking about stuff that actually affects 100% (disregarding coop etc) of the student population...lectures.

eldwaro wrote: »
    god forbid people talking about stuff that actually affects 100% (disregarding coop etc) of the student population...lectures.

whinging about lectures is what i should say, nothing of any signficance. just bitching. this forum is a piece of **** without the anti-su stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

There is no method by which to remove an officer from their position in the constitution. It was due to be added in with the last two general meetings (I think 2, wasn't one rescheduled, I could be wrong) but either way students never showed up, so it was never added into the constitution.

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks that the UK fourm has gotten a bit boring of late.
    New thread, Su is stupid
    few posts in, tit for tat posts
    Few pages in, personal abuse
    few post later, petee bans someone for personal abuse and tells people to get back on topic
    Few pages after Petee post, warning not heard sceptre locks thread
    repeat.
    About the sabbats its kinda sad the attacks on David and Ruan. If only they tried to pick up the ball instead of blaming everyone and everything for droping the ball. Its also sad to see people ruin friendships over the past year. They are all nice people but they were not ready for the pressure the job brings especially this year.

Yeah, the UK forum's shíte!

Not as bad as the UL forum though. :pac:

And roro, it's not anti-SU threads that are the problem, it's the anti-SU threads like this, based on nothing, with newly registered accounts like "supackofidiots" who stroll in, troll, get flamed, retort, dick-size contests, etc etc that are killing this forum imho.

At least Sid made the occasional valid point.

burns-flying-monkeys.jpg

fly my pretties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

stand back guys, here comes superginge to save the day. If ever there's been a man more sour about not being elected, yet still maintains the shroud of secrecy and licks SU arse every chance he gets.

Kelly O briens recent comment is just as bad.

thinks she bloody owns the place.

long live the TST. Good riddance to aoife, kelly and an focal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yeah, the UK forum's shíte!

Not as bad as the UL forum though. :pac:

And roro, it's not anti-SU threads that are the problem, it's the anti-SU threads like this, based on nothing, with newly registered accounts like "supackofidiots" who stroll in, troll, get flamed, retort, dick-size contests, etc etc that are killing this forum imho.

At least Sid made the occasional valid point.
    :-P
    I miss Sid he made my late night walk through the interwebs fun.
    Now there are full of sad.

This is what I'm hearing from the majority of students around me. They are unnecessary. I used to be somewhat involved in past years; as a rep, but now I'm completely disillusioned. I would not have thought that I'd ever be against having an SU; in theory its a standard institution to have within a university. But as it stands the service which the current team (and most definitively next year's) provide is so poor they're not even challenging huge issues (such as the new medical charge).

I have attempted to get in contact with the Education officer about a serious issue earlier this year to which I got no reply.

The Communication office has served its purpose but its public fights with the Campaigns officer has been embarrassing.

The Welfare officer seems capable but, again, haven't really got a clue what proactive events/ actions have been conducted this year.

The Campaigns officer can talk the talk but as far as walking goes... I remember hearing that MCD promotions were to be contacted to get decent bands; we got 2 members of S Club 7 and Bressie with a CD player. M&Ms haven't been utilized. Frankly no services were employed (I heard tell of a refusal to sign the services contract at the beginning of the year). This is the most distressing as this will be our education officer next year.

The President is unable to lead his team and his views are contradictory to those of the students.

So then why should these people be payed to do nothing except complain about all the meetings they have to attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dante on Fire

The Campaigns officer can talk the talk but as far as walking goes... I remember hearing that MCD promotions were to be contacted to get decent bands; we got 2 members of S Club 7 and Bressie with a CD player. M&Ms haven't been utilized. Frankly no services were employed (I heard tell of a refusal to sign the services contract at the beginning of the year). This is the most distressing as this will be our education officer next year

Hi,
    Just to clarify if thats okay.

Many people place their opinion and mis-truth up here, I can only speak for myself in that I have always maintained that anyone can come and talk to me about issues like this. I dont think one can be represented fairly on Boards and then answer or reply to them with the same level of fairness as one to one discussion or an open frank discussion.

As far as entertainments go, Yes MCD have been contacted and of course we were looking at big acts and as soon as our entertainments and promotions manager came in and I was simply told I had nothing more to do with entertainments but I have worked with Keith over the past year and he is constantly doing his best.At the start of my term there were plans yes and we talked of big acts but of course the money situation changed totally. I have had no input on choosing the act bar hearing what was available due to research by Keith.Even then I do not choose any of the acts that is the job of the Events and Promotions Manager.

As far as M&M's go - they have been used more than any other year and at each stage we got funding, training and provisions sorted for them for key stages in the year- In fact we have worked very well with the University in terms of the M&Ms to the thanks of the local community and the Gardai

Well the services end was the element I have to correct you on. I dealt with services by working with Adele and that included video promotion of the nightlink, new games in the common room but you are right new services need to be looked at and some of the ones I have researched (New stamps service, premiere and movie nights and better union dropbox etc) can be implemented. I will admit one defeat is that the current services are not promoted enough and that is a failure on my part.

Also the reason why I did not sign the contract for the shop was that the accounts were not in order. I dont know about you but you dont sign a lease to a house unless you inspect it and know that there are doors and windows in it.

In terms of being VP/Academic next term, I am working my hardest to fill the council positions before the new year. set out my running order of plans when I take office. We currently have 42/72 people recruited for the new council for next year and its quite exciting knowing that these people will be working towards a better Union. I am confident I can do a great job but I assure you I want people's input. The only thing I can promise is that with what I have planned with Union Forums Hopefully the Union will be more open, welcoming and a far more positive place.

And I will also be the first one to say that I have ****ed up this year on certain things, I think the way i responded to those things were not always the best but I think I have done the best I can with what i have. In previous years there were massive budgets for each office - with increased debt I used my wages to buy supplies for Campaigns. I wont disagree with you that this year has been bad -God I cant wait to see the back of it and start with a wiser mind. I am truly sorry for any part of my job that I have not fulfilled in your eyes but I think like I have said before I love the union and the university and am very passionate about it I give it my all and if people dont think I am doing that, all they have to do is say it and I treble my efforts.

Be sure to offer opinion any time, Honestly I never take anything as offence.

Regards and best wishes in the upcoming exams

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cjthecrow

But as it stands the service which the current team (and most definitively next year's) provide is so poor they're not even challenging huge issues (such as the new medical charge)

Hi Cablecar,

Cathal Ronan, Welfare elect here.

I was just wondering why you think and seem to have it set in stone in your mind that the new team will provide a poor service?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

What's the saying again....Do one thing wrong and ten people will hear, do something right and one person will hear....

I have my issues with the SU, and the attitude we get for asking questions. I have dealt with one person in particular and its very much a "computer says no" attitude, no initiative. Got let down by them on a few occasions. That's with one person though, takes more than that to make the SU.

Anyway, I have dealt with Aoife. She actually couldn't be any more efficient, or nice. Never felt like I was being judged for anything. You could take her comments the way the OP did or you could take them as in she actually cares about her job and feels defensive of it. Even if this is done in the wrong way it certainly has no reflection on her ability to do her job.
    Never knew she didn't graduate but I don't see how that has an impact on her ability to do her job. She has common sense and works hard. All you need in any job.

Don't think you can try to "impeach" someone unless you have dealt with them. Seems ridiculous to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Really? Is this all new users(?) are capable of talking about these days? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

supackofidiots, nice username. Cop yourself on and don't attack someone with your first post.

any more and you are gone.

And really, another SU bashing thread. Wonderful.

Advertisement