Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured child gets 11.5 million euros

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

dvpower wrote: »
    How are you sure if you don't know what the evidence is in this case?

No it shouldn't.

How are you sure she wasn't driving dangerously if you don't know what the evidence is in the case?

You're telling me that it wouldn't act as an excellent deterrent to uninsured drivers if they were charged with dangerous driving when they have no insurance?

She showed disregard to her son and other roadusers when driving without insurance.

Just reading that, he was restrained in a booster seat in the back of the car and yet hit the windscreen, was it not held in place by the seatbelt or did it fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

tbh wrote: »
    I don't think you understand how insurance works. The risk was exactly the same, whether she was insured or not.
    i actually do. i recently had an incident with an un-insured driver. the risk isn't the same. so are you saying that people should drive with no insurance because the risk is the same. no insurance means to driving. whats the point on having insurance or a driving license.
    what this woman did is no different to someone drinking 10 pints getting into their car and drinking driving and causing a similar accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

blackwhite wrote: »
    Hope MIBI sue her for every cent of the award.
    You hope MIBI take money from her disabled child?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Who gets the money if the child dies after he turns 18?

I wouldn't begrudge the kid or his carer a cent. But his mother is his carer and she caused this. She shouldn't be allowed to buy a single thing for herself with it aside from food and clothing. Her carers allowance should also be cut off, but it won't be because of the way it is awarded.

• Advertisement

Why?

A momentary lapse of concentration to me might involve day dreaming for a second, possibly looking at something to your left or right, which in extreme cases may lead to rear ending the car in front.

She must have had a huge lapse in concentration to not notice her car go to the other side of the road.

Why?
    Why what? Just about any example of dangerous driving can be "explained" by claiming one "lost concentration". Whether people buy it or not is their prerogative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

i actually do. i recently had an incident with an un-insured driver. the risk isn't the same. so are you saying that people should drive with no insurance because the risk is the same. no insurance means to driving. whats the point on having insurance or a driving license.
    what this woman did is no different to someone drinking 10 pints getting into their car and drinking driving and causing a similar accident.

And if the driver had been insured how would the risk have been reduced?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

No. Insurance doesn't make you a better driver. Not having insurance doesn't impair your driving.

Had she had insurance the odds of being involved in such an accident would be the exact same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

She really seemed to give a **** before.

Sadly true.

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    How are you sure she wasn't driving dangerously if you don't know what the evidence is in the case?
    Are you serious?
    You're telling me that it wouldn't act as an excellent deterrent to uninsured drivers if they were charged with dangerous driving when they have no insurance?
    It would act as a deterrent if we charged them with rape or murder, but it still wouldn't make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

No. Just you.

Really? You obviously think 11 million quid is nothing!
    Maybe you should fund it yourself!!!
    Remember it's "The Biggest Payout in the History of the State"

We've been on a slippery slope in this country for the last 3 decades.
    But don't worry our time will come!!
    When there will be no money for these payouts - what then?
    What about the woman who crashes her car in the future with her son in the back - who does have insurance?
    Will her son get 11 mill??
    Not a hope!

Are you serious?

It would act as a deterrent if we charged them with rape or murder, but it still wouldn't make any sense.

Of course I'm serious. You asked me the question. How do you know she was driving safely? She did paralyze her son and crash into an oncoming car. That would suggest dangerous driving more than safe driving wouldn't you think?

Yes, charge uninsured drivers with rape or murder. I can tell you're logical.

She must have had a huge lapse in concentration to not notice her car go to the other side of the road.
    How wide is that white line now? About two inches?
    That's a lapse of concentration of about 1 second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Jesus Mary wept. The lack of sympathy in this thread is stomach-churning, most of it hinging on the fact that the mother was uninsured. But we don't know all the facts of the case here. Many of you are assuming that she hopped into a car with no insurance. Is that what happened? Or did she borrow her partner's car on the understanding that she was covered by the policy? Was it her own car - insured, as far as she was aware, but the policy rendered null and void due to (and I am no expert) no NCT, say?
    I'd love to read the input of a broker here...

damienirel wrote: »
    Really? You obviously think 11 million quid is nothing!
    Maybe you should fund it yourself!!!
    Remember it's "The Biggest Payout in the History of the State"

We've been on a slippery slope in this country for the last 3 decades.
    But don't worry our time will come!!
    When there will be no money for these payouts - what then?
    What about the woman who crashes her car in the future with her son in the back - who does have insurance?
    Will her son get 11 mill??
    Not a hope!

When you have done a full evaluation of the child's health, possible future complications as a result of the accident and done a projection of the expenses involved in taking care of the child get back to us, until then you just sound like an idiot.

A momentary lapse of concentration to me might involve day dreaming for a second
    And in my view that's still dangerous driving. Not including suicides even in the gun-crazy USA 4 times as many people are killed due to traffic incidents than with firearms. Cars are extremely dangerous instruments, "losing concentration" when in control of 2 tonnes of metal travelling at speed to the extent that you cross into oncoming traffic has to be defined as dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Was the mother prosecuted for driving without insurance?

2 inches? I don't think so.

I strongly doubt a paint-scraping glancing blow would launch the child from the back seat into the windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Jesus Mary wept. The lack of sympathy in this thread is stomach-churning, most of it hinging on the fact that the mother was uninsured. But we don't know all the facts of the case here. Many of you are assuming that she hopped into a car with no insurance. Is that what happened? Or did she borrow her partner's car on the understanding that she was covered by the policy? Was it her own car - insured, as far as she was aware, but the policy rendered null and void due to (and I am no expert) no NCT, say?
    I'd love to read the input of a broker here...

Well if she can't work out whether she is insured or not, do you think she has enough brainpower to care for a child, totally dependent on her?

Of course I'm serious. You asked me the question. How do you know she was driving safely? She did paralyze her son and crash into an oncoming car. That would suggest dangerous driving more than safe driving wouldn't you think?
    There is a difference with how you might understand dangerous driving to colloquially mean and the offence of dangerous driving.
    Yes, charge uninsured drivers with rape or murder. I can tell you're logical.
    About as logical as charging people with no insurance with dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You hope MIBI take money from her disabled child?:eek:

No. The child's money isn't touchable.

I said I hope the MIBI sue HER. It's the standard procedure when an uninsured driver causes an accident. I'd hate to think she'd be afforded special treatment when she's after causing €11.5m of expenditure to every road user who complies with insurance regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Seachmall wrote: »
    When you have done a full evaluation of the child's health, possible future complications as a result of the accident and done a projection of the expenses involved in taking care of the child get back to us, until then you just sound like an idiot.

So again - clearly another believer that the Judicial System have made the right decision to hand out what I believe(it is only my opinion - i'm not claiming I'm a medical accountant) to be a ridiculously high payout.

You're branding me an idiot because I hold an opinion you don't agree with.
    I guess that makes you a Genius?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sunnyspell

Do you know if the boy had a fastened seat belt?

I strongly doubt a paint-scraping glancing blow would launch the child from the back seat into the windscreen.

Regardless, suggesting she's guilty of dangerous driving is speculation.

And it only takes a split-second to lose control of your car. Shit road conditions and poor reaction times have killed plenty of people in the past.
    damienirel wrote: »
    I guess that makes you a Genius?
    Only in contrast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

whats the point on having insurance

the point is if you are in an accident, the insurance company foots the bill.
    The risk of having an accident is exactly the same whether you are insured or not. An insurance policy isn't some sort of lucky charm that means you won't have an accident. The only difference is what happens AFTER an accident.

This is patently THE most ridiculous post I've seen in years. Read this slowly:

her lack of insurance was in no way a contributory factor in her accident. How could it possibly have been?

edit: to repeat an earlier question you may have missed: you said that the mother claimed the child had distracted her. Where did you hear that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I just dont get this. I accept the boy deserves the money however his mother was not insured and the child was not wearing a seatbelt. Neglegience on all counts.......wtf

No doubt she will claim the respite grant as well.

This just puzzles me..

However i wish the family well. Its very very sad for the boy and all the money in the universe wont help.

Since you accept that a concentration lapse of 1 second can cause a paint-scraping blow, you will can also accept that a 1.2 second concentration lapse can lead to a full on crash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

sunnyspell wrote: »
    Do you know if the boy had a fastened seat belt?

yes, he had.
    He was a rear-seat passenger and was restrained in a booster seat.

Advertisement